Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > So what exactly do guys mean by "down to earth"?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SpringBoard1982
Msg: 1
view profile
History
So what exactly do guys mean by "down to earth"?Page 1 of 1    
Hi Gentlemen,

Maybe you all can help me. I see so many profiles where guys say that they want a "down to earth" woman, what exactly do you men mean by that? Something tells me that it's more than just non-materialistic and easy to talk to.

Thanks in advance for your reply,

Gina
 ottosump
Msg: 2
So what exactly do guys mean by down to earth?
Posted: 11/14/2008 9:22:05 PM
Someone with a job, realistic expectations from life, bereft of self-entitlement, who's happy with themselves and isn't going to try and change you.
 ottosump
Msg: 3
Posted: 11/14/2008 9:22:54 PM
Preferably without 'daddy issues' as well...
 girlinlust
Msg: 4
Posted: 11/14/2008 9:34:27 PM
someone they can have sex with who wont stalk them afterwards ..
 ottosump
Msg: 5
Posted: 11/14/2008 9:38:55 PM
Or that! Nah, seriously I always equate the term with someone who's low-maintenance.
 sharpspoke
Msg: 6
Posted: 11/14/2008 9:46:42 PM
Down to Earth means to have your head screwed on tight and take things as what they are - not what you think it is.
 theskinny
Msg: 7
Posted: 11/14/2008 9:51:52 PM
This is one phrase I dislike. We all tend to use these common sayings in our profiles and at face value, there is nothing really wrong with it. However, when I read "down to earth," I tend to interpret it as though they had trouble coming up the right words and fell back on a common saying. They may not even know what they meant. My advice is to say what you mean and not use these common phrases to describe the self you identify with. You are noticing the saying being used in many profiles. How many down to earth people do you know in real life? I know more flighty kooks and wild child types who are not well grounded. We like to think we have common sense, something that is not all that common. We like to think we are stable and that our head is, as someone said, screwed on tight. We like others to believe we are those things. We want to be around someone who has that life. I don't buy into it, but I won't pass someone by for claiming they are down to earth. It's unlikely, but perhaps they are attempting to make a reference to their height (my attempt at humor in all of this).
 Wylie_Coyote
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2008 9:58:33 PM
Gina,

Non-materialistic and easy to talk to almost covers it. Add good listener and open minded and I think it about covers it.

J Mac
 SpringBoard1982
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2008 10:19:24 PM
THANKS for all the replies. I do appreciate them.

G
 Thunderstorms62
Msg: 10
Posted: 11/14/2008 10:22:05 PM
A woman who is inclined to NOT
leap to conclusions. (Grounded)
 LatentHeat
Msg: 11
Posted: 11/14/2008 10:25:35 PM
Down to Earth:

Easy going, friendly to all classes of folk. Not snobby, realistic in her life outlook. Will do "gruntwork" and will learn skills to get "pink jobs" or "blue jobs" done, 'cause the work's gotta git done.
Doesn't need to be put on a pedestal. All of this really only comes into effect if she is attractive. Actually, Gina, it isn't really much more than what you've suggested in your post-question.
-Heat-
 Shadow67733
Msg: 12
Posted: 11/14/2008 10:38:31 PM
Relaxed/laid back, has common sense and realistic approach to life. Translation for the grammatically challenged: Not a drama queen or high maintenance and her brain is located on this planet where reality is in effect. =)
 avalanche325
Msg: 13
Posted: 11/14/2008 10:45:13 PM
Gina,

You hit the nail on the head with non-materialistic. When I say down-to-earth I mean doesn't need designer label clothing and $300 purses and can carry on a decent conversation.
 rivereye
Msg: 14
Posted: 11/15/2008 12:05:30 AM
No BIG surprises(of any kind) is always a plus...
 64 Classic
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2008 12:13:03 AM

Doesn't need to be put on a pedestal.

If a man ever tries to put me on a pedestal I think I'll knock him over the head with the dang thing. My ex-husband did that to me and I hated it. I want to be an equal with my partner, not above him. Besides, it hurts like h3ll when the pedestal is pulled out from under you.
 kornbluth
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2008 2:27:04 AM

when I read "down to earth," I tend to interpret it as though they had trouble coming up the right words and fell back on a common saying. They may not even know what they meant

I agree with Theskinny. It's supposed to imply material simplicity and a realistic outlook (sometimes). But as a cliché it, it means someone is telling you what he thinks you want to hear (without knowing you) and doesn't have much of a vocabulary.
 candlelight and roses
Msg: 17
Posted: 11/15/2008 3:05:46 AM
Well, I can only speak for myself, but for me a down to earth lady is one who interested in a mans personality and ability to love rather than his financial status, a lady who will be there for her man, as he will for her.
 Schmunzelmonster
Msg: 18
Posted: 11/15/2008 3:26:44 AM
The huge variety of replies goes to show how useless these stock phrases are.

To me "down to earth" mean boring, unadventurous, staid and probably overweight (albeit able to cook and change a plug). A down to earth women is likely to think I'm mad if I say "hey, shall we go to New York this weekend?". God preserve me from down to earth women!
 ValentinoScaramanga
Msg: 19
Posted: 11/15/2008 3:41:56 AM
A woman who managed to grow away from acting like a Valley Girl
 My I
Msg: 20
Posted: 11/15/2008 3:46:30 AM
My idea of a down to earth woman would include qualities that do not consist of selfishness, arrogance and vanity. I would think a down to earth woman is not one who lives to party; hang out in bars in order to validate her womanhood; smoke dope as a means to "cope". She has good morals and a good perspective on life.

Most importantly, to me, she is not still brooding over her divorce that took place years ago (perpetual anger). There is nothing worse than delaing with a person who lives/dwells on the past because they lack the intelligence to realise "it's over!!!"

A down to earth woman uses her sexuality to strengthen a relationship rather than gain attention from those outside the relationship
 PocoLoco44
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2008 4:31:11 AM
Hi Gina,
As you can see "Down to Earth" has a variety of meanings to many different people, Seems to me, the common thread is .....treating someone, the way you would want them to treat you! I think it starts with Honesty. All to often people put more stock into who someone is, what they have or what they do? Rather then who they are as a person? I would think most guys who are truly seeking a partner to enjoy life with, not just a weekend, want a woman who is comfortable with who she is and accepting him for who he is!

Far to often, people tend to put their "Best Foot Forward" as we have been told this is how to impress, the problem with that, the standards have now been set far above reality and the norm. Personally I feel both feet forward has far more benefits, to seeing each other "As Is"

Were not going to match up with everyone nor be the right person for everyone, finding "The One" should be natural..... it's my opinion that "Down to Earth" means simply that! a "Natural Woman" (who she really is) a woman who can appreciate a good man! a woman who will look at his heart rather then his pocket book! A man can tell what a woman has on her mind, if he's paying attention! just like a woman can tell what a man has on his mind. There's nothing wrong with wanting a certain amout of security nor is there anything wrong with wanting scenery that is pleasing to the eye! Providing those are not the ruling thoughts or agenda. "Down To Earth" just be who you really are!
Poco
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > So what exactly do guys mean by "down to earth"?