Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Where's the real fawking metal??      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 oddandy
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Where's the real fawking metal??Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
So I guess I've always considered myself "old school" musically, following classic punk and thrash/death metal, but it's because I'll be damned if I can find anything new to listen to. I like hard, fast, aggressive music. I thought there was something wrong or "unhip" with me because I wasn't familiar with any of the newer bands I hear people talking about all the time, but any time I check out a band I'v eheard mentioned here or elsewhere I'm disappointed. I come from, on the metal end, a background of Slayer, Venom, Exodus, Ministry, Anthrax, (and slightly differently) Iron Maiden. My punk roots are Misfits/Samhain, Sex Pistols, Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, etc.

Soooo...... I see people on here talking about "ohhhhhh this heavy shit from (for example) Opeth, Isis, etc..." and guys, that shit is SLOW. It's fvcking MELLOW. WTF. I've seen people talking Opeth especially for years, and I finally checked out every song of theirs I could find on Youtube and I wanted to puke.

Where's the FAST, HARD metal anymore? Is it a lost art? I love what I have (and I have 125 gigs of tunes that I've collected over the years) but damn, it'd sure be nice to find something new for a change. The newest stuff that halfway sounded good to me was the orignal, older (here we go again, been years since their last good one) Cradle of Filth and SOME ('cus a lot of their shit sucked, too) Fear Factory...though Hunter-Killer is one of the best metal songs EVER IMO, if that gives you an idea what I'm looking for.

Where's the REAL FAWKING METAL?

Suggestions, please!
 oddandy
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Where's the real fawking metal??
Posted: 11/15/2008 10:26:46 PM
It's no more a "chat topic" than anything else in this forum. I'd like some suggestions on some newer (as in the last 5-10 years) THRASH or FAST metal bands to listen to.

Jesus Christ, people, get a life. Are you so sad that you get our kicks getting threads deleted for no reason? Lord, I would think turning off the computer and jacking off would at least give a better kick than that, and if not, you need not be on a dating site, anyway, LOL.

Pitiful, sad creatures.

I ask again for those actually paying attention..what are some good, fast, aggresive metal bands out there today other than the typical classic stuff I already have?

EDIT: Since some losers (who probably don't even listen to metal) are trying to delete this thread I actually did a google search...Wikipedia suggested the new Metallica album. See why I'm asking for some help, here?

Here's an actually newer (as in "only 7-10 years old") example of what I'm looking for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ObJLUAoe3c

or for a true classic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8kQ3MKMeDc

More, please.
 Darkwon
Msg: 3
Posted: 11/15/2008 10:34:21 PM
hey man, i'm more into industrial metal these days but i'm an all around metal head!
there's a new tribute to slayer out recently called '25 years of slayer' amazing stuff!
new bands putting a fresh new school thrash/death metal feel into the songs
I'm not usually a fan of tributes as i find mostof it is songs regurgitated note for note, but this is s gem!
 oddandy
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2008 10:36:34 PM
Industrial metal is great, I love Ministry, some Fear Factory, etc... One of my all time fave's is the live version of Stigmata by Ministry...Slayer is thus far my favorite metal band, though, so I'll google "25 years of Slayer," I'm sure I'll love it, thanks for the suggestion! What other bands are you into?

EDIT: It's to the point that when I want to hear some real shit the only two songs I play are Slayer's "Angel of Death" and Fear Factory's "Hunter-Killer." Looking for more along the same lines.

FAST SHIT! Sorry folks, but your Opeth and Isis and all your other supposedly "hard deathmetal" bands are SLOOOWWWW. If I want emo with an edge I can find it, KTHX. Where's the fawking METAL?!?!
 VeilOfMaya
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2008 10:48:05 PM
The metal you use to listen to is no more. There is a new era for metal and whether you like it or not bands like Opeth are what metal is today. But otherwise check out the band Darkane...you might like them.
 oddandy
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2008 11:14:30 PM
The metal you use to listen to is no more. There is a new era for metal and whether you like it or not bands like Opeth are what metal is today.

If such is true then we already live in the "Brave New World," the world of "Equilibrium," where our reptilian/base/human minds are subdued by propaganda and drugs (even the fluoride in our water) and the prozac, etc, that you will find comes into your water supply because those precscribed it piss it out and current water filtration systems don't take it back out. Raw human aggression and emotion is surely not dead, yet. If such is the case it's time to take up bombzngunz, because our real selves are numbed. I say no, it's still there, hence my question! I don't believe thrash is dead, I'm just wanting to find some newer versions of it. And thus:

But otherwise check out the band Darkane...you might like them.

Thanks you so VERY much, my friend. Exactly what I'm looking for! I have a long journey ahead exploring them and even the "similar" links I found on You tube.

Some highlights for the non-emo metalheads out there: (props to DeadPoeticWI for the discovery!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hby3uiibhcM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8owEC055p8

Fvcking poetry in music!

Previous poster who clued me into the Slayer tribute album, what are some other good Industrial metal bands you like? Again, fast, raw and aggressive is what I'm after.

But Poet, Thank you, thank you, thank you...It'll be a long while before I get done with Darkane, I think, and I'd never heard of them before. GREAT GREAT stuff.

MOOOOOORRRRREEEE!!!!!!
 Dr_Spaceman
Msg: 7
Posted: 11/16/2008 1:18:51 AM
If I'm correct in my assumptions, I'm pretty sure you will like a band called Melechesh.
If you don't mind clean vocals and a little wanking, I also suggest Nevermore.
Other bands I would recomend are Tankard, The Haunted, Arch Enemy, and possibly Immortal.

And to the guy who said that Opeth and Isis are what metal is today - (and even though you like Darkane) - Get your head out of your ass, seriously. Just because McDonalds is the most popular restaurant, doesn't mean there isn't a metric ****ton of better places to eat, and it sure as hell doesnt represent the state of cuisine today. Metaphorically speaking of course.
 oddandy
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 11/16/2008 2:00:54 AM
Ho-lee sheeyat. THANK YOU, dr. spaceman. I knew that surely to gawd the shit ain't died in the last several years.

If I'm correct in my assumptions, I'm pretty sure you will like a band called Melechesh.

Man, you have no idea what a gift that is. Not only is it the type of music I've been looking for a new generation of, but the lyrics evidence that this is a Gnostic band, classical Gnosticism being a very important part of my life...I'm blown away. You may very well have just turned me on to my new favorite band.

If you don't mind clean vocals and a little wanking, I also suggest Nevermore.

Fawking great, what I've heard so far, and no, I dont mind clean lyrics. My favorite bands or the (original) Misfits, Iron Maiden, Slayer (not quite so clean, I know) and the Pixies. Great GREAT stuff as well, but I haven't listened to more than 1 or 2 tunes on youtube yet 'cause I'm still stuck on the discovery of Melechesh. THANKS!

Other bands I would recomend are Tankard, The Haunted, Arch Enemy, and possibly Immortal.

Thanks, man! I'm sure I'll love then given the first two reccomendations, but I'm not even past them, yet, LOL. I copy/pasted the thread to notepad just in case. This is exactly what I was looking for. I thank you once again, sir!

As for the rest, let me say......I'm very grateful for the turn-on to Darkane by a previous poster (sorry bro, don't know your name...the guy a post or two up that mentioned them...yeah you...thanks, bro!)

But I did get a kick out of and must agree with this:

Just because McDonalds is the most popular restaurant, doesn't mean there isn't a metric ****ton of better places to eat, and it sure as hell doesnt represent the state of cuisine today. Metaphorically speaking of course.

But brother (again, sorry man I'm simply in a reply window and thus can't see your name) thanks for the Darkane (thank you eternally) but dude is right, and what a great analogy.

Thanks SO much to you guys for the replies. You've opened up another new outlet for me musically.

As for the lamers that had nothing better to do but TRY (and you FAILED, much like you likely do in other things, otherwise you wouldn't have bothered trying to de-rail a legit thread,) I offer you a peace offering: Send me your address and I will send you my sticky, sticky socks that I've jacked-off in. Let them be a lesson to you of what you should be doing with your idle time when you're feeling bored and down on yourself. Cumming in a dirty sock feels much better than trying to get a legit thread deleted, I promise, and I will send you the proof
 oddandy
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 11/16/2008 2:06:54 AM
Best fvcking thread ever for me. All the women I meet on this site that I have an interest in live halfway across the country. Here's a thread for once that immediately and positively affects my life. Thanks to all three of you!

/thread
 VeilOfMaya
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 11/16/2008 2:50:39 AM
That's just where I believe metal is heading now, at least around here. Besides me and a select few people, no one around here knows real metal. I thought of some more bands you may want to check out too. Some are fast and heavy and some are more...Maidenisque. I don't know if you've heard some of these but I'll post them anyways.

Hammerfall
3 Inches Of Blood
Krisiun
Seven Witches
Ancient Rites
Order Of Ennead
Amon Amarth
Abaddon Incarnate
Kataklysm
Nocturnal Rites
Brainstorm
Symphony X

Um...tell me if you like any of these and I'll see if I can think of anymore bands like the ones you liked.
 banddude
Msg: 11
Posted: 11/16/2008 4:06:37 AM
i listen to alot more tech death metal and whatnot but i agree metal changes every few years to something totaly new..... im noticing the old thrash sound commin back very strong thow so you may be inluck...
no band can pull it off like iron maiden but google EVIL SURVIVES if you dig their first few albums and want to check out and brand new band with the old maiden sound.... pm me and i could send you their disk.. its unreal.. i think thats the sound youve been looking for all along!!!!!!

if you get REALLY bored checkout www.myspace.com/dissolutionca for some zombie death metal too... (shameless plug at my band)...its more heavy than what ur looking for thow....
 banddude
Msg: 12
Posted: 11/16/2008 4:08:25 AM
looking back maiden and evil suvives wern't what you were looking for exactly.... hahaha
 guitarperson76
Msg: 13
Posted: 11/16/2008 12:41:39 PM
There is so many bands out there these days that play a wide variety of metal and various sub genres. Yes there is still bands that play alot of old school thrash you have to dig deeper to find them. Check your local metal scene, record shop, word of mouth, etc. Get past the crap that is playing on the tv or radio and you're in a world of great music.
 crackling
Msg: 14
Posted: 11/17/2008 5:05:58 PM
Ok heres a few suggestions from across the pond: Annotations of an Autopsy, on tour in the States at the moment supporting Job for a Cowboy. Trigger the Bloodshed, both as heavy as **** death metal.
Meshuggah: just amazing!
Small bands to check out on myspace: Tangaroa, Red Star Parades, Ingested, Humanfly, Slay That Dog, Abadden, Chokehold, Exertion, Aghast, Scar My Eyes,.

Happy listening!!!
 crackling
Msg: 15
Posted: 11/17/2008 5:19:23 PM
Sorry forgot to mention The Haunted.
 cajun_buddha
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 11/17/2008 6:17:16 PM
Metal elitest crack me up. Just cause you dont like it doesnt mean its not metal. I hate Slipknot but they are metal. I love how metal elitest try to discount them being metal. Im open minded in the bands I enjoy. For the most part Im into the heavier, faster, and more brutal side of metal. But I also like the melodic stuff from the 80s as well as some hair metal.

If you want to hear speed. Check out Krisiun as was mentioned. By far the fastest band Ive ever seen live. Just insane speed.

Goatwhore is another great band. American black metal at its finest. In the vein of Venom and Celtic Frost.

Opera IX is a great black metal band with a female singer(on the Black Opera).

Carpathian Forest, more brutal, satanic Norwegian black metal.

Akercocke is a brutal band. Very dark and evil with an atmospheric sound. Great blackened death metal from England.
 Mike with a Bass
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 11/17/2008 9:53:58 PM
Somebody said The Haunted, and I second that.
Watch the dvds "Metal: A headbangers journey" "Global Metal" and "Heavy Metal in Baghdad". Tonnes of excellent bands mentioned an interviewed, and an all around educational viewing.

Also In Flames...my personal fav.
Ive got 180GB of music lying around, I'm sure I can find some other band suggestions!
 CurseOfMillhaven
Msg: 18
Posted: 11/18/2008 9:37:48 AM
I don't listen to much new metal but I like Gojira. And the new Testament album is great.
 VeilOfMaya
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 11/18/2008 12:17:07 PM
Once again I have to say Kataklysm, they're so sick. If we're getting into black metal though heres some bands I would highly recommend:

Angelcorpse
Darkthrone
Ildjarn
Gorgoroth
Isengard
Burzum
Carpathian Forest
Marduk
Diabolical Masquerade
Sacramentum
Immortal
Bathory
Graveland
Dark Funeral

Out of those bands the one I would recommend to anyone would be Diabolical Masquerade. They're symphonic black metal and they're awesome.
 crackling
Msg: 20
Posted: 11/18/2008 1:22:57 PM
err I think Dead Poetic is just listing bands he likes. I really cant see how Diabolical Masquerade can be described as hard fast metal as the original question asked.
Would just be easier if we all put our favorite 10 tracks up and be done with it!
 guitarperson76
Msg: 21
Posted: 11/22/2008 10:39:16 AM
I agree with crackling. We should post our 10 favorite tracks and have the OP check them out instead of listening bands and not recommending songs that might catch his attention.

This is in no particular order:

Mercyful Fate "Don't Break The Oath"
Slow Death Factory "Enthusiam's Sneaking Decay"
Illdisposed "Depersonalisation"
Vader "Sothis"
King Diamond "The Arrival"
Dominus "Spiritual Mountain"
Darkthrone "Cromlech"
Dispatched "Down"
Saturnus "Christ Goodbye"
Artillery "The Almighty"
 MusicLover1982
Msg: 22
Posted: 11/22/2008 11:04:30 AM
there is a really badass thrash metal band from Guelph called Arise and Ruin. They are signed on an indie label.
 clown0
Msg: 23
Posted: 11/22/2008 11:58:24 AM
If you liked Pantera, give Hatebreed a shot.
 MsMandaJ
Msg: 24
Posted: 11/23/2008 10:24:06 AM
I suggest...Immortal, Bathory, Satyricon, Burzum, Susperia, Dimmu Borgir (older stuff i.e For All Tid & Stormblast) old Emperor, Wumpscut, Eluveitie, Finntroll, Acid Bath, Gorgoroth, Hypocrisy, In Flames, Moonspell, Skeletonwitch, Marduk, Venom, Mayhem........Hope that helps
 Alkalineprincess
Msg: 25
Posted: 11/23/2008 10:35:21 AM
I myself am a big metal fan and have had similar experiences with people recommending some lame tunes under the guise of it being metal. What I have found is that what I considered metal was going under the new classification of "hardcore". I think that you may like Wisdom In Chains. Check them out, if that is what you consider metal than I have a huge list of similar bands and sounds.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Where's the real fawking metal??