Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ireland  > Magical mystical Ireland, let's explore and explode some of the myths      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Miss Grundy
Msg: 1
Magical mystical Ireland, let's explore and explode some of the myths...Page 1 of 1    
A number of years ago I studied Environmental Conservation management with particular emphasis on studying the Irish landscape and learning ways and means to protect it i.e. the conservation, preservation and protection of our natural and cultural heritage.

If people are interested in this subject I would recommend reading a book called "Reading the Irish Landscape" by Frank Mitchell & Michael Ryan published by Townhouse.

Anyway...the point of my thread is to ask what is your knowledge or long held beliefs about various geographical occurrences in this country..

For example, during the course we did a module on archeology, our lecturer would often work during the summers as a tour guide to mainly North American tourists who were of Irish descent. He related a quite amusing story to us about the time that he was guiding some of them somewhere in Ireland when they came across a fairy ring and no matter how hard he tried to convince the tourists that it was perfectly ok to trespass what they considered a holy and magical area because it was actually a geographical phenomenon rather than some fairy built trap for wayward humans they refused to step into the fairy ring because of their superstitions.

Why I found it amusing is because of the idea that ...2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th generation Irish American people still managed to retain enough of their cultural identity to be wary of basically.... stepping out of line and not respecting their mystical/pagan past...that somehow their inherent Irish psyche refused to release them enough to feel free to be practical as opposed to deeply entrenched in being afraid of bad luck.

The existence of Fairy rings can be very simply explained btw.

So does anybody have any stories of raggy bushes or holy wells or other sites which should be respected in Ireland ?
 si-denada
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Magical mystical Ireland, let's explore and explode some of the myths...
Posted: 11/18/2008 4:28:49 PM
"...North Americans of Irish descent."

So you took time away from your work and carried out a study which clearly identified the tourists as 'Irish descent'?

Fairy rings, raggy bushes and holy wells...sounds mystically pagan and good to me. Can I have some too.

Sorry haven't the slightest notion what you are talking about, but I will tomorrow.
 Miss Grundy
Msg: 3
Posted: 11/18/2008 4:42:43 PM

Sorry haven't the slightest notion what you are talking about, but I will tomorrow.

Dayammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm !!!!

And there was me foolishly hoping that you having grown up in an agricultural and rural environment and also having been a farmer's wife would know a little about what I was talking about.

I hold no hope now for anybody else understanding what I'm getting at.........
 si-denada
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 11/18/2008 5:28:48 PM
Okay we have Ossian's Grave up around here, as well as the Giants Causeway, and a few drinking wells, Druids stones etc....I'll post more informed tomorrow. I now see where you are with this.
 ShinyFallingStarr
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2008 7:40:01 AM
I love how all the american tourists come and kiss the blarney stone when i know for a fact that the local boyos all go there of an evening and pi55 on it!
 atticus06
Msg: 6
Posted: 11/19/2008 8:56:43 AM
wellllllllll then soul-whisperer, being an american with an irish wife that plans on visiting ireland i will make sure that i dont kiss the blarney stone.. thanks a bunch!
atticus
 si-denada
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2008 4:30:46 PM
"A small number of devotees still go to holy wells in Ireland to "pay rounds," by circling a well three times and making a sign of the cross over it with a pebble. All ceremonies at holy wells were once frowned upon by The Church, which saw them as holdovers from Ireland’s pagan era. "
Source: Ireland fun facts

I had to asked my Mother about the mystical. Now according to her, folklore has it that if someone were to drink from a 'holy well' they would become a great poet.

Country girl, ex farmers wife I may well be; but I can tell you Miss Grundy when you're on the potato planter or potato harvester, the last thing you are thinking of doing is looking around for pagan artefacts.

Though it is interesting what I was able to pull up on google about your topic. Your book recommendation is on my Christmas wish list. If you are ever in the area I will show you the local sites, you could maybe educate me about them.
 historic1
Msg: 8
Posted: 12/7/2008 7:27:20 PM
Hi, an interesting thread you going on here. I am an American over here in the states of alleged irish ancestry ( i think the freckles should be proof enough). I would like to hear more about this subject , if nothing more t han to impress folks at the next St. Paddy's Party ....

I work in the stone industry, mostly restoring old historic stone buildings, like cleaning and repolishing the marble floors and walls. I kind of felt an interesting tie to my past I guess when I started working with stone in my 40's. So there may be something to what you are talking about.

As for the price, hey I say stick it to them...Our country operates better when those folks are out of the country anyway..

cheers

John
 Naomi-the-cool
Msg: 9
Posted: 12/9/2008 5:49:20 AM
dont know if you've heard of this one, but holly bushes are mystical too, apparently. i think theyre supposed to be home to faeries. when my dad bought our farmhouse there was a large holly bush at the end of the lane. it was large and obstructive and blocked the view when pulling out of ourlane so my dad wanted it gotten rid of before an accident or anything. however, he contacted a few people to sort it out but when he told them it was a holly bush they refused point blank, because o their superstitions.
my dad then went and cut down the bush himself and we've had no serious misfortune in the 15 years we've lived there. interesting though, how people still freak out at old myths in this day and age.
 Realise
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2009 11:54:07 AM
Indeed, i was brought up on stories of fairies (fairy rings that can't be cut down as whoever would do so would have their eyes and ears fall off !! and experience enduring bad luck ) and the "wee folk" with their pointed green shoes who carry a wee stoll around the country mending shoes . Was great for the imagination as a child...and i think probably alot better than x-boxes, nintendoes etc
 ShinyFallingStarr
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2009 10:15:58 PM
That's were it went then!

Anyway... my son has become OBSESSED with the banshee at the minute... thank you Darby O' Gill... but we do have the Giants Causway, and the Giants Ring and the mountain on which I live is supposed to be a reposing giant..... hmmm for a land of shorties we have a load of giant stories....

Oh and I have to mention that blimmin Carrick a rede[sp] ropebridge... could people think of a more terrifying way to cross a big giant gap with sharp pointy rocks at the bottom.... I remember having to cross it when I was younger and it has given me a fear of heights to this day thank you....
 melchisedec
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2009 1:50:11 AM
It's odd how Ireland calls to us in America.

I feel homesick, I feel like an exile, even here in Hawaii.
Every one I know that's Irish feels the same way, no matter what they are mixed with.
GOD bless my family on the Emrald Isle, I'm a Garvey, if you too are please say hi.
I would consider it a blessing.

Aloha nui loa.
 bam j
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/26/2009 3:20:11 AM
there is nothing mystical about a hairy ring !!!
 SmilingSalmon
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 1/31/2009 3:06:25 AM
I knew I was hanging out in the wrong area. Ireland POF is the place to be! These are the best threads on POF.

Miss Grundy, I have a few thoughts on what you hare saying....first off, let me tell you who I am, my identities, though I will definitely NOT put them in order of importance because that is just pointless...
I am an American
I am Irish (Egan/Garrett)
I am Jewish
I am Cherokee
I am southern
I am Texan
I have deep roots in Northern California and D.C./Viginia
I am a mother
I am a soldiers mother
I am a grandmother (of 8!)
I am a child of God

With all of that, without a doubt I am also mystical and respect the history of allll of my people, whether or not I subscribe to its practice and belief. However, I would have definitely stepped into the fairy ring.

Now excuse me while I go google fairy ring LOL
Being Texan, I am very brave and bold, therefore I know I would have stepped into it even though I am not exactly sure of what it is, other than what I read here reporting it as a natural occurance/geographical phenomenon.

Edit: Well everything I googled says it is caused by a fungus in the grass. Seems very non-mystical LOL
 rperk901
Msg: 15
Posted: 1/31/2009 7:16:14 AM
Well, I'm coming to Ireland in Feb..am of Irish heritage..Great Grandparents on my mothers side. I've done a little homework and thought about trying to find some family there, but I hear it's a verrrrrry long process, so probably won't wast much time on it, but I do know what a Fairy Ring is, and I didn't have to Google it. ( I should say, that I know what it is according to a Mycology class I took)
Fairy Rings are circles of mushrooms. They grow in a circle as they consume the Nitrogen in the earth....as the Nitrogen is depleted, they move outward in search of new sources of the stuff. Never heard of them being "holy", or of superstitious origin. Guess I would have trounced into it out of ignorance...
Also, heard about the Blarney stone as well. Wasn't planning on doing anything like kissing it.
 SmilingSalmon
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 1/31/2009 7:53:00 AM
Well rperk,
Let us just imagine the kind of Ireland they show in the movies....

Darkened skies, wind from a torrent of deep blue ocean crashing against the rock, always wind, always people looking toward the sky or around corners for something ominous to overtake them.

In that kind of atmosphere, we might find these things meaningful, in a mystical sort of way. LOL
 Miss Grundy
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/31/2009 5:55:29 PM
Aye...it's definitely a fairy haven in Ireland for absolute sure...all the men here sound so gay.

With your Irish heritage SmilingSalmon, you've chosen quite an apt username.
I've googled this because I'm too lazy to write what I know :

The Salmon of Wisdom comes from Irish mythology. The salmon is the symbol of life and rebirth as it lives in the sacred rivers and returns to the place of its birth to regenerate by creating new life. The Salmon obtained wisdom by living in a sacred well, where the hazel nut Tree of Knowledge grew. When the nuts (kernels of knowledge) fell from the tree and into the well, the Salmon ate them. The Salmon ate seven nuts from the tree of knowledge and became very wise. Legend tells us that the Salmon selects certain individuals to receive this knowledge by allowing itself to be caught and eaten. Early illustrations of this “Sacred Salmon” appear in the Book of Kells.

I love salmon, it's so tasty and I look forward to reading more of your postings on here but if you are going to brag about being a Texan and how everything is much bigger and better over there expect someone here to put you right.
 SmilingSalmon
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 1/31/2009 6:34:42 PM
Hello Miss Grundy,

First, I am happy to find this forum and your post is very flattering. I certainly didn't expect to see anything like that today. Thank You. I have never heard or known the story of the salmon. I LOVE THAT STORY. Hazelnuts are my favorite nut too LOL
I chose the name salmon because they are creatures I respect, admire and love TO EAT! They are so versitile in every way. I love nature and the mysterious mystical things God has created, that when looked at in a scientific way always prove to be amazingly logical and infinitely useful.

As far as bragging up being a Texan, no way. I do not subscribe to that sort of thing no matter what the label. I sometimes use labels in a tongue-in-cheek joking sort of way, but I would love to see a world with much less boxing and labeling being perpetuated.

Thank you for welcoming me here.

Salmon
Show ALL Forums  > Ireland  > Magical mystical Ireland, let's explore and explode some of the myths...