Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > She smiles, I smile back and then she looks down      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ninja250r
Msg: 1
She smiles, I smile back and then she looks downPage 1 of 1    
I was out picking up some groceries tonight when I ran into a rather pretty girl. I couldn't help but stare because she was gorgeous and she caught me looking. She smiled at me and I returned the smile at which point she looks down and starts screwing with her cell phone. At the time I figured she wasn't interested but now I'm wondering if she may have been nervous. Can you ladies fill me in?
 Annie Nigma
Msg: 2
She smiles, I smile back and then she looks down
Posted: 11/18/2008 11:42:32 PM
Ummmm...what were you expecting her to do?

At that point you should have at least said "hi".
You could have approached her and started a conversation.....but you didn't.
You did nothing and now you plan to torture yourself about it.
Stop re-enacting and start acting!
Start approaching women and finding out for yourself if they are interested.
Nervous or not, a woman will either accept your advances or decline them.
........and then you'll have your answer. Problem solved.
 ninja250r
Msg: 3
Posted: 11/18/2008 11:48:11 PM
Actually I was going to say hi until she started playing with her phone. I figured it was a sign she wasn't interested.
 The Lone Haranguer
Msg: 4
Posted: 11/18/2008 11:50:56 PM
Thank you for contacting The Lone Haranguer's Interweb Psychic Hotline for your online love predictions and game scores.

The answer to your question is no, she wasn't nervous. In that moment in between thumping the cantelopes and squeezing the tomatoes, her cell phone was more important and/or interesting to her than playing googly eyes with a random stranger in the grocery store.

And now for the score at the top of the half:

Rather pretty girl's cell phone: 1

Staring stranger in grocery store: 0

Thank you. And please call again.

ninja250r
Msg: 5
Posted: 11/18/2008 11:52:21 PM
May I suggest you pick up a hobby.
 forumquest
Msg: 6
Posted: 11/18/2008 11:57:18 PM
She was interested in you, and you missed it.
 ninja250r
Msg: 7
Posted: 11/19/2008 12:09:39 AM

She was interested in you, and you missed it.

Thanks for the straight answer.
 ripley65
Msg: 8
Posted: 11/19/2008 1:33:31 AM
Awww you made her blush. I have a feeling you're going to need a loaf of bread fairly soon,,,,,,,make sure you stop by that same grocery store.
 Mindy Mindy
Msg: 9
Posted: 11/19/2008 1:42:30 AM
She wanted to marry you but now it's too late.
Okay I was being silly.

There is no way for anyone but that lady to know what was going on in her mind.
Maybe you will see her again and you can try again.

If she had a lot of groceries then you should go back next week on the same day at the same time because that's probably her grocery shopping day. If she only had a few things then she was just probably running a quick errand and you will never find her again and you will die an old lonely man. (okay...kidding again about that last part)

Good luck
 KISS MY A$$
Msg: 10
Posted: 11/19/2008 1:49:38 AM
I had a man that was following me around the grocery store taking pictures of me with his cell phone. Do you think he was interested in me?
I wish we could all be mind readers. You can not read a lot into gestures. Body language is hard to read. It is hard to know if a glance or a stare means "come here". It is hard to know if fumbling with a phone means "im not intereseted". Who knows?
I wish we could just read minds it would be so much easier.
Next time.... Just go for it. You really have not one thing to loose at a first meeting. Just be yourself and choke out some kind of introduction . Gulp down the fear and just DO IT!! I know it is hard. Tradition will have you men in the role to "pursue". You have to get past that hesitation . We all expect the man to make the first move and it must not be easy.
Sometimes I am so happy to be a woman. You men have it tough.

PS. I "met" someone in a grocery store once. I was in the produce section by the corn on the cob. I was shucking ears of corn and he said " I like the way you shuck"
 DreamDancer44
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2008 2:34:01 AM
I agree with most of the other replies. The only person who can answer this is her. Our guess is as good as ours. I smile at people too. It doesn't mean I'm interested. Like the previous post said, next time approach her. When I was younger I used to make the first move a lot. Now that I'm older and a lot more guys come up to me, I just wait for them.
 chatte
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2008 7:26:29 AM
You missed.

She smiled at you first, she initiated some small form of contact. You didn't follow through.

If someone smiles at me, I smile back. I may have absolutely no interest in the person. But it doesn't take time off my life to smile back at them. I might smile and then turn my attention to whatever it is I'm doing. This is essentially what you did to her. She smiled, you politely smiled back and went on your way. And she probably walked away thinking, "Damn, he was cute, oh well..."

Always, always take the chance!
 lalala1284
Msg: 13
Posted: 11/19/2008 7:33:19 AM
since when does smiling at someone mean they are interested? i smile at guys all of the time. that doesn't mean i'm interested.

apparently this chick just gave a quick smile, and went on about her business.
 spicynicegirl
Msg: 14
Posted: 11/19/2008 7:42:27 AM
ninja what that girl did is exactly what I do, if I ever catch a guy looking at me. Some of us actually are a little embarrassed but it doesn't mean she wasn't interested. Quite the opposite. I would love a guy to follow it up by walking over and saying "hi".
 Sweet J-me Baby
Msg: 15
Posted: 11/19/2008 7:48:39 AM
A smile from a stranger is just that. I smile a lot when I am out in public and it certainly does not mean I am interested in everybody I smile at!

This girl noticed you were staring at her and smiled in response. The fact that she looked down and started playing with her cell phone could mean a number of things: 1) she is bashful, 2) your staring was making her feel uncomfortable, or 3) she was just answering an incoming text message!

So, was the smile a broad, toothy smile and she made and held eye contact? To me, that would indicate interest. Or, was it the soft, subtle Mona Lisa smile? To me, that would mean she was just being polite to your eyeballing her...or uncomfortable.
 Izabella02
Msg: 16
Posted: 11/19/2008 8:12:08 AM

she was just answering an incoming text message!

That would be my guess.

You should have said 'hi' and went from there. Remember that the next time it happens. You can't tell much from an initial smile without a little more contact.
 Leagueofextraordinarymen
Msg: 17
Posted: 11/19/2008 9:32:32 AM
Next time look over your shoulder, she was smiling at the other guy because she caught him adjusting his junk and no not the junk in his grocery cart

I think you need to get out more often, here in Nova Scotia your cheeks will get sore returning all the smiles...
 whiteknightgb
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2008 10:03:17 AM
There are some cynical replies, what's happened to romance
To the op, i would go to the grocery store again, to see if she was there, if she was talk to her , after all faint heart never won fair lady :D
 gtomustang
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2008 10:50:31 AM
If cellphone lass looked like mindymindy, I would have smiled and mouthed "hi" rather than just return the smile....but yeah, I too would have assumed that if she's screwing w/ her phone (ie, answering it) then her attention is diverted.

Oh well, she's gone anyway. Make a note for the next time, if you stare at a beautiful woman, and she doesn't get irked that yet another jerk is checking her out...she may be worth starting a conversation with. Unless she gets the panic'd look on her face as you wander over to start it
 GeminiMan66
Msg: 20
Posted: 11/19/2008 12:24:13 PM

and she caught me looking. She smiled at me and I returned the smile at which point she looks down and starts screwing with her cell phone.

^^^^^^^ My bet was that she was texting her boyfriend and he texted something funny to her......and she just happend to look up at you at the same time......and you presumed it was an interest in you..

Miscommunication on your part....sorry OP
 acitalriwt sixela
Msg: 21
Posted: 11/19/2008 2:22:13 PM
since when does smiling at someone mean they are interested? i smile at guys all of the time. that doesn't mean i'm interested.

apparently this chick just gave a quick smile, and went on about her business.

I agree. I am friendly and smile at people all the time. I am rarely interested.

There are some cynical replies, what's happened to romance

Not cynical. Only honest. If OP is interested, he should approach her when she is not busy with her phone. But he should not read so much in to such small thing like person smileing.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > She smiles, I smile back and then she looks down