Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > God in a word      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Light Storm
Msg: 1
view profile
History
God in a wordPage 1 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
So many religions and so many definitions. So many opinions, feelings and perceived observations. So much love and so much hate is sparked by the endless sea of thoughts and ideas that circle the idea of a higher power. If you could sum all that up in a word... what one word would you use for a definition of God?

My word would be "Omniscient"
 b2inus2
Msg: 2
God in a word
Posted: 11/27/2008 8:09:06 AM
to me God is simply "LOVE"
 Wildman46
Msg: 3
God in a word
Posted: 11/27/2008 8:17:51 AM
To me it's Faith, he might be different things to different people, but faith is always constant among them.
 Yappy lil Pine Needle
Msg: 4
God in a word
Posted: 11/27/2008 8:57:20 AM
God in a word:

1) false
2) unbelievable
3) crutch
4) fabrication
5) money grab (oops thats two words=church)
 *RINGS
Msg: 5
God in a word
Posted: 11/27/2008 9:24:52 AM
geez i don't think i can do it in a word.....

the collective goodness of mankind ...or the lack there of....= GOD..
geez...that's 11 word's and an = sign isn't it..hmm..if i had to narrow it down to one word...
Love would be a good start...
 The PigWig
Msg: 6
view profile
History
God in a word
Posted: 11/27/2008 9:47:22 AM
Here we go again...

There is no GOD. Only Dogma.
See the movie "religulous"
 XHTML
Msg: 7
God in a word
Posted: 11/27/2008 9:51:08 AM
I find it difficult to describe God in one single word, so will choose to several single words, and will explain why.

Cruel
- So many children are born with incredibly huge challenges, mentally and physically. What was he thinking?!
- I trust you've heard of the millions of Jews that died in World War II.
- Perhaps you've heard of the Rwandan genocide in 1994 where hundreds of thousands of Tutsis were slaughtered in approximately 100 days.
- These are only recent examples. There are many more cases of cruelty in our history that a loving god would have led to less-cruel outcomes.

Inept
- September 11, 2001 four airliners are hijacked, two of which strike two large buildings in New York, Nearly 3,000 innocent people die. An all powerful god could have intervened.

Uncaring
- There are how many millions of users on POF? Close to 10 million? How many of us are seeking a companion? Most of us.

Of those that seek someone how many of will be sleeping alone tonight? I think most of us will be. Unless there is some divine act of intervention I know I will be alone tonight.
Are you sleeping alone tonight, or will you also need a divine act of intervention to change that?
 yabbdabbadoo
Msg: 8
God in a word
Posted: 11/27/2008 9:53:00 AM
conundrum...............................................................................................
 fishn mishn
Msg: 9
God in a word
Posted: 11/27/2008 11:02:59 AM
God in a word = Unprovable
 ~JustSimplyMe~
Msg: 10
view profile
History
God in a word
Posted: 11/27/2008 11:40:54 AM

God in a word

Mythical.
 Behindthescenes
Msg: 11
God in a word
Posted: 11/27/2008 12:09:38 PM
God = Omnipresent
 Starlite444
Msg: 12
God in a word
Posted: 11/27/2008 1:06:23 PM
God in one word , a word like no other for me "SAVIOR"
 SoLongThanksForAllTheFish
Msg: 13
God in a word
Posted: 11/27/2008 1:21:39 PM
God in a word: Cat
 rockondon
Msg: 14
view profile
History
God in a word
Posted: 11/27/2008 1:26:48 PM
fiction
 passionandsong
Msg: 15
view profile
History
God in a word
Posted: 11/27/2008 1:45:00 PM
god is love.now explain love in one word.
 thismikerocks
Msg: 16
God in a word
Posted: 11/27/2008 3:03:53 PM
Love

To clarify something for those of you who choose to blame all the actions of your fellow people on God. The reason why we are not all beleivers or follow the Lord is because he gave us all choice to believe in him or not. He shows his signs and tries to show his love through his followers.

Whether or not that is done properly can be accredited to the that person's ability to follow God's values. You can hardly blame God for the thousands of deaths in the world that were caused by man's hands. You can hardly blame God for people who choose to drink during pregnancy that gave a child a mental handicap. Yes I'm aware perfectly healthy people have mentally handicapped childern as well sometimes your genes suck its true.

Just think on it though would you rather be forced like a dog with a muzzle and leash or given a freedom to choose?
 The PigWig
Msg: 17
view profile
History
God in a word
Posted: 11/27/2008 3:07:14 PM
^^^^
Dogma

Gotta love it....

Whether or not that is done properly can be accredited to the that person's ability to follow God's values

Propaganda
 Q_Sheba
Msg: 18
view profile
History
God in a word
Posted: 11/27/2008 3:27:34 PM
I believe we are spiritual being in human body and not the other way around unfortunately we have been detached from our true being for long time and we are confusing it with our body. This life is filled with visual things and images and all our feelings and emissions are driven from that so we also expect for GOD to be visible. For this exact reason we also confuse our true being with our body. But when we are experiencing our true essence and we recognize ourself of who we truly are thats the time we also know GOD and everything is clear. I believe everything else is elution except when we are at that place were we are in direct contact with our true being and GOD.

In one word GOD is: 'LIGHT' it is that tiny sparking light that inters my forehead and disperses all the clouds and dusts and fills me with warmth and love.

When you are in that place within yourself and I am in that place within myself we are one - NAMASTE
 Ticketoride
Msg: 19
God in a word
Posted: 11/27/2008 3:31:42 PM
The reason why we are not all beleivers or follow the Lord is because he gave us all choice to believe in him or not.

You operate on the Assumption something has to be given to you by somebody else, that appears to occur, somewhere between a Sermon, a Book, your Eyeballs and Ears.

He shows his signs and tries to show his love through his followers.

You understand there is a distinct Difference between what occurs in your Mind and that which could be clearly observed by others? So far, based on my own Observations, the Love shown comes directly from the Person, reflecting what they feel.

Just think on it though would you rather be forced like a dog with a muzzle and leash or given a freedom to choose?

When your Freedom to "Choose' has to be given to you by Someone, the Muzzle is already in Place.

I would not confuse "Lord" with "God".
 Yappy lil Pine Needle
Msg: 20
God in a word
Posted: 11/27/2008 3:31:45 PM
and Im the devil in disguise ....really.... bwah hahahahahaha

signed

Temptation50
Msg: 21
God in a word
Posted: 11/27/2008 3:53:49 PM
If I had to choose one word............FARCE

Just so no Christians blow a gasket........I'll elaborate......

Since the begining of time........most killing / murders , stealing etc were committed in the name of the lord.....
Extremists use religion or their GOD to commit acts of terrorism.....
As of late, tons of so called Gods little helpers AKA evangelists have used the name to rip off anything and everything.......
What gets me is, it's still a pre requisite stateside to get elected, to follow God............unreal......
No, Gods name has been used as an excuse wayyyyy too many times to justify really bad conduct.......
I say FARCE...........
 b2inus2
Msg: 22
God in a word
Posted: 11/27/2008 4:09:47 PM

When your Freedom to "Choose' has to be given to you by Someone, the Muzzle is already in Place.

Interesting choice of words and logic Ticket!

I believe God gave us an entire world filled with beauty and harmony. He also created for us beautiful, healthy bodies. As well He had to "give" us choice as to how we would live our lives. That is LOVE.
If you have a child and gift him with the most wonderful car you can afford (Mercedes maybe?), give him instructions about the car and driving safety, and tell him that he has the choice of how he will be with it, and you won't (won't!) ever interfere with his choices... that is LOVE. God is LOVE!

Take a look at what we have done with our Gifts. Pause for a moment and see what destructive choices you have made in the last month, week or day (you are not alone!)
We don't have to go far to see the condition of the world...that's our choice.

The only muzzle I see here is the one some people may need in order to stay on topic with this thread...
 ritawayward
Msg: 23
God in a word
Posted: 11/27/2008 4:17:29 PM

He also created for us beautiful, healthy bodies.

Many, many people can not lay claim to this statement, through no fault or their own, when they are born with or are struck with the myriad of seriously function impairing diseases brave people soldier on with every day. It's an appealing sentiment to those it applies to and frankly, serves to make those who need the most support all the more invisible and unsupported.
 ~Sammy Dreams~
Msg: 24
God in a word
Posted: 11/27/2008 4:24:38 PM
woGODrd or wGODord or worGODd thats about it.
 b2inus2
Msg: 25
God in a word
Posted: 11/27/2008 4:25:15 PM

Since the begining of time........most killing / murders , stealing etc were committed in the name of the lord.....
Extremists use religion or their GOD to commit acts of terrorism.....
As of late, tons of so called Gods little helpers AKA evangelists have used the name to rip off anything and everything.......
What gets me is, it's still a pre requisite stateside to get elected, to follow God............unreal......
No, Gods name has been used as an excuse wayyyyy too many times to justify really bad conduct.......
I say FARCE...........

I understand exactly what you are saying and the meaning of it Temptation50...I have seen it and it's happening around the world. What you are talking about it dogma, or the greed of some people, that has no bounds.
I personally do not subscribe to any of that yet I am on a quest (ever since a young child!) to know HIM and to love HIM and I can assure you no-one needs religion to do that: just a sincere heart. Put Him to the test...trust Him.
Those who know Him even just a little bit understand that harming anyone or anything has nothing to do with Him. Is important to me to make this distinction for you.

My heart is heavy as I read so much anger in the words of those who turned away from Him. I feel compelled to defend Him, as I would defend a loving parent who has done so much for me, always...always!
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > God in a word