Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Einstein vs. Newton      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ethnic-Girl
Msg: 1
Einstein vs. NewtonPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Einstein vs. Newton

I am not sure if this has been brought up before; I just want to know what you guys think,

In your opinion, who is the greatest scientist of all time? Whose contribution affected the world in more positive ways? Whose discoveries were more applicable than just a theory?
 GradBoyKev
Msg: 2
Einstein vs. Newton
Posted: 12/5/2008 7:59:52 AM
Each man took a great wealth of works before him, assimilated the matter, created their own mathematical systems for the theories they proposed and revolutionised the world around us with visionary statements about the origins of the system.

Newtons often revolves around his three laws of motion and the invention of calculus while einstein had the audacity to see that the speed of light is constant and that space and time are the mutable things.

Add to this, that classic physics is a subset of special and general relativity given certain variables in einsteins theories are held constant at certain values it makes them very hard to distinguish.

Although, relative to this time, calculus now seems to be not so an impressive feat compared to the geodesic, space like surfaces of einsteins four dimensionality, of its own time it was similarly a VAST leap in mathematical use and formulation.

Either way, being from different times I don't think they are easily comparable.
All i can say is thanks that they were there to boost us along the way.
Their genius' will forever lighten the future and neithers name will be forgotten.
 MisterStone
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Einstein vs. Newton
Posted: 12/5/2008 8:32:28 AM
Neither. Both were brilliant.
 Ethnic-Girl
Msg: 4
Einstein vs. Newton
Posted: 12/5/2008 8:37:32 AM
E=MC2, Atomic Bomb and Hiroshima,
ring a bell?
 MisterStone
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Einstein vs. Newton
Posted: 12/5/2008 9:27:36 AM
Um ethnic, I really hope youre not trying to be rude.
 Ethnic-Girl
Msg: 6
Einstein vs. Newton
Posted: 12/5/2008 9:50:45 AM
lol no way, i just want you guys to answer Whose contribution affected the world in more positive ways?
 LBP
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Einstein vs. Newton
Posted: 12/5/2008 10:00:26 AM

E=MC2, Atomic Bomb and Hiroshima,
ring a bell?

My 3rd cousin worked with Einstein on the Manhattan Project. These were scientists, not war mongers. My cousin didn't even know what he was working on and what it was for. Blame the politicians not the scientists.

scorpiomover
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Einstein vs. Newton
Posted: 12/5/2008 10:21:48 AM
Newton. Newton's gave us calculus. Sure, it was nice to know that the Earth went around the Sun. But the minute the Russians launched a manned rocket into space in 1961, we knew that anyway. But calculus gave us the ability to take basic formulas that we already know, and use them to work out what we needed to do, to get the results we wanted. That improved things way beyond any scientific discoveries that Newton gave us. Einstein's theories could not have been used for any benefit at all, without Newtonian calculus.

So I say Newton.

Of course, if scientists are able to grasp and understand the concept of relativity in its true form, that everyone only sees things from their viewpoint, and reality is something completely different, and so none of us ever have the truth, not even science, then Einstein will have taught us something that Newton has not, that there are billions of perspectives of what we see, and ours is only one, and not even the right one.
 GradBoyKev
Msg: 9
Einstein vs. Newton
Posted: 12/5/2008 10:38:02 AM
Indeed, Newton gave us calculus, but a parallell emergence of calculus occured.
Leibniz also developed calculus with his own "dot notation" at the very same time as Newton with his "Function primed" notation and they both did it by assimilating the works of the giants before them.

In that sense, we would have calculus without Newton and hence einstein would still be able to follow.

However, there is no parallell or equal to the ideas that Einstein gave us.
He made a conceptual leap that no-one else would even dare to have thought in his day,
Space, time and perspective as non-absolute and a four dimensional universe and a mathematical theory of gravity as the curvature of space time?
 dulse
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Einstein vs. Newton
Posted: 12/5/2008 3:30:29 PM
While Einstein is well known for his work in relativity theory and his connection to the atomic bomb, his papers on Brownian motion and the photoelectric effect established quantum mechanics, which gives us so much of current lives such as lasers.
 wicked_desires
Msg: 11
Einstein vs. Newton
Posted: 12/5/2008 3:34:56 PM
Einstein just
blinkered by his own beliefs as some of us know

but he comes closest to quantifying gravity... sorry newton have a banana
 Shaeton
Msg: 12
Einstein vs. Newton
Posted: 12/5/2008 3:40:22 PM
time is on newtons side, so this is an unfair comparison
 dispossessed
Msg: 13
Einstein vs. Newton
Posted: 12/5/2008 7:01:21 PM
Leibniz did not did not discover calculus independently of Newton. Newton refused to publish his “fluxional method” for thirty years. But he did share pieces of it with his colleges. We know from survivng letters that in 1673 Leibniz began pestering members of the Royal Society for information explaining Newton’s rumored work with infinite series. And in 1676 Newton was pressured to write two letters to Leibniz in which he shows how functions can be represented as infinite series and how to use them to calculate area, volume, etc.

People like to give Leibniz partial credit for the discovery despite evidence to the contrary because they consider Newton’s refusal to publish his work for thirty years as an alien and hostile act.
 Is too hot
Msg: 14
Einstein vs. Newton
Posted: 12/5/2008 9:42:21 PM

Neither. Both were brilliant.

Gotta agree with MisterStone. As Newton himself stated (and others before him), we can see farther because we stand on the shoulders of giants.

Science isn't about outdoing the last guy. That's hubris, not science. Science is about advanding factual knowledge in any way, as far as you can. There have been so many great minds. Einstein and Newton are revered because, as theoretical physisicsts, anything they discorvered affected everything we know. How about Bohr? Pasteur? Pauling? Galen? Archimedes? Popper? Edison? Fermi? Mendel?

We really owe so much to each of them and all of them. Each of them for their persistence, abilities and determination (many died paupers, pariahs and/or insane). All of them for building on what had been built before them.

Due to the nature of science, there is no "greatest" nor will there ever be one. I cannot think of one scientist that did not benefit from the work of others.
 Some random name
Msg: 15
Einstein vs. Newton
Posted: 3/1/2009 10:24:01 PM
As scientists and contributors thru science its equal....but Einstein wins because of people skills.Newton was a notorious ass
 FrogO_Oeyes
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Einstein vs. Newton
Posted: 3/1/2009 10:45:59 PM
Neither. Both provided insights essential to a modern understanding of physics.

LBP - your third cousin would need to be roughly 60 years older than you, or let's say 90'ish. That's not overly plausible.
 ZenBeth
Msg: 17
Einstein vs. Newton
Posted: 3/1/2009 11:08:30 PM
Newton because he was so brilliant and lived in an era when the Catholic church was attacking anyone who didnt believe their teachings. Much like creationist Christians are doing to those who believe in evolution. Galileo who died in 1642 the year Newton was born is my all time favorite, again because he was so brilliant and was persecuted by the church.
 desertrhino
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Einstein vs. Newton
Posted: 3/2/2009 5:13:17 AM

LBP - your third cousin would need to be roughly 60 years older than you, or let's say 90'ish. That's not overly plausible.

Ummm... I have a FIRST cousin who's 40 years younger than I am. Sounds plausible to me.
 fortran
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Einstein vs. Newton
Posted: 3/2/2009 6:45:33 AM

..., i just want you guys to answer Whose contribution affected the world in more positive ways?

Simply the fact that Newton's work has been around longer, would produce this result. It has nothing to do with who was the better scientist. It takes time for knowledge to filter down from mathematics to science to engineering.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Einstein vs. Newton
Posted: 3/2/2009 8:05:59 AM

Ummm... I have a FIRST cousin who's 40 years younger than I am. Sounds plausible to me.
Snap. I remember at my Barmitzvah, having to call my first cousin Uncle Alec. Even then, he looked mid-40s to late-40s, and I was only 13, and he's only my first cousin. On my other side, I have another first cousin who has grandchildren, and I have none. So a third cousin with a 60-year age difference is entirely possible to me as well.

On the other hand, if you are a 3rd cousin, you could still be a 3rd cousin twice removed, that still means that you are the grandchild of a 3rd cousin, and then, a 60-year age gap would appear quite normal. But you are still called a 3rd cousin.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Einstein vs. Newton
Posted: 3/2/2009 8:11:31 AM

Newton because he was so brilliant and lived in an era when the Catholic church was attacking anyone who didnt believe their teachings. Much like creationist Christians are doing to those who believe in evolution. Galileo who died in 1642 the year Newton was born is my all time favorite, again because he was so brilliant and was persecuted by the church.
ZenBeth, I hope that you know that Newton checked with some priest friends to get the approval of the church on his writings before publishing. He was a Member of Parliament. So he understood the necessities of academia to get approbation from the establishment, much like you need to get a paper published in a scientific journal of the establishment, to get your paper accepted.

AFAIK, Galileo's greatest triumph was in introducing the telescope to the West, and of introducing some of the first ideas about relativity. But when it came to heliocentrism, a lot of his work was just not rigorous enough. If he had introduced his work today, he would have been unpublished, and declared a crackpot, much like creationist Xians are referred to by the scientific community, even those with degrees.
 god_of_rock
Msg: 22
Einstein vs. Newton
Posted: 3/2/2009 8:17:07 AM
neither..both? all scientists build on the discoveries of others who have gone before:

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants."

in Isaac Newton's own words
 VVendy
Msg: 23
Einstein vs. Newton
Posted: 3/2/2009 8:52:21 PM
Newton did more with less Einstein needed his wife to check his numbers and dress him at times
 CountIbli
Msg: 24
Einstein vs. Newton
Posted: 3/2/2009 10:23:45 PM
If the choice is between Newton and Einstein then Newton wins hands down. What practical applications did Einstein's ideas give us? GPS is the only thing I can think of. And that's put into space using Newton's theories of gravity and mechanics.
 father3
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Einstein vs. Newton
Posted: 3/2/2009 10:40:51 PM

Not to mention that third cousin is a liar. No one worked on the Manhatten Project with Einstein. It was Oppenheimer!!

OT. Without Copernicus and Galileo, Newton wouldn't have gotten anywhere with gravitation. They all build on the shoulders of giants. Newton did give us that great fig sandwich thingy, Einstein didn't leave us any food.

Probably a better discussion would be who the greater inventor is, Tesla or Edison?
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Einstein vs. Newton