Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Dumb question about prune juice past expiration date?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 LakeCountyGal
Msg: 1
Dumb question about prune juice past expiration date? Page 1 of 1    
I have an unopened bottle of prune juice that has an expiration date from last year. If the bottle has never been opened, can I still use it? Some things are still good past their expiration dates if they've never been opened. I wasn't sure what the shelf life is on prune juice. I just hate to waste it and throw it out. I'd like to use it in a recipe but I wasn't sure if it could have spoiled somehow by now.

Thank you in advance for your answers. I looked online but couldn't really find an answer related to my question.
 *~*ChardyGirl*~*
Msg: 2
Dumb question about prune juice past expiration date?
Posted: 12/6/2008 8:15:10 PM
Prune juice???

You say,"prune" juice..........????

Dunno about you,but i would DEFINITELY toss it out,less you want a Q to the bathroom all day long.............

(messages bla bla bla )
 Classic Chassis
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 12/6/2008 8:44:02 PM
Prune juice has a shelf life of 24 months when stored in a cool dry environment. To be on the safe side, check the product before using - if you see any "mother" throw it out.
 LakeCountyGal
Msg: 4
Posted: 12/6/2008 8:46:11 PM
Thank you Classic Chassis. Much appreciated.
 monalee1
Msg: 5
Posted: 12/9/2008 1:06:07 PM
hi... imho, throw it out even if it is not expired...... fruit juices that are cooked are very acid.. they do not do the body any good... blessings, warmly Mona
 Miss W
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2008 3:08:53 PM

imho, throw it out even if it is not expired......

My exact sentiments....bleh.
 ChrisSelby
Msg: 7
Posted: 12/9/2008 3:10:53 PM
I would without a doubt throw that out. Blech! That would wreak havoc on the intestines, not to mention- fruits loose their quality very quickly. Canned fruits are never as good as fresh!
 texasbaby
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2008 3:24:34 PM
ChrisSelby ~ Please tell me,, what fruit market sells "fresh" prunes?
As to the juice being out of date by a year,, are you kidding? Toss it! How much does a bottle of prune juice cost, after all?

tb
 ChrisSelby
Msg: 9
Posted: 12/9/2008 3:49:10 PM
haha... well I meant fresh plumbs, of course! depending on where you live, a tree makes a wonderful addition to any backyard! Something about store bought fruits is just nasty to me. Such as apricots, you can't buy them anywhere that is as good as fresh picked!

If nothing else, spend the couple dollars and buy a new prune juice!
 ChrisSelby
Msg: 10
Posted: 12/9/2008 8:36:51 PM
oops..I meant *plums*!
 SmilingSalmon
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2008 9:21:22 PM
I opened this thread just to see why the heck it is STILL on the first page and STILL at the top. Ok, now I see and not to change the subject and all, seeing how over the top intricate and exciting it is

BUT I want to make a comment on what Selby said....

Growing your own fruit and eating it off the tree after proper ripening has occured is AWESOME!!

Though...many people cannot do it. There is a whole great white north, even below the Canadian border, that cannot grow many fruits. Here in Michigan they have lots of apples and cherry trees, but not a lot of anything else. In fact, in most northern states there are lots of apple and cherry trees. Of course there are a lot of berry bushes too. MMMM I LOVE berries, but blueberries just grow best in hot climates, not the north. Well, there is a grape variety for every location and climate. You can't kill those vines no matter what you do, even burning, once they have taken hold and grown deep enough roots and big enough vines.

I will never forget the taste and smell of tangerines after ripening on the trees all winter in California...like pure honey. In Texas I had apricot, orange, lemon, plums, pear, peaches, mandarin, ruby red grapefruit and blueberries. SOOOOOOO GOOD!

Texas and California are the real growing states in this country for fruit other than apples. Not that others can't sustain home fruit trees and growing, but in a commercial sense those have the best climates, soils and space for growing. In Michigan it is not as common to see fruit trees in a persons yard, but in the older well kept neighborhoods you will.

It must be hard to juice a dehydrated plum.... LOL
Seriously, it is boiled with sugar and water to make prune juice, right??? And how is that supposed to make a person "go"? All the sugar, of course. That is what they tell nursing mothers to do when their babies can't go...eat sweets. This sounds more like the Dumb Plum dilemma, not the opening question. LOL
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Dumb question about prune juice past expiration date?