Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Where do single women hang out or gather where guys can meet them?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 michaelx
Msg: 1
Where do single women hang out or gather where guys can meet them?Page 1 of 1    
Sorry if it's been done before, I went back a some pages and didn't see it.

This isn't meant to seem whiney, but I see it being much easier for women to find a place to meet men. All you have to do is take a little interest to learn something about a manly activity, racing, shooting, politics, etc. Then show up at an event or two and you have an instant audience.

Is there an opposite side? Guys can't join female gyms ( I don't know of any male only gyms), showing up to a knitting club not such a good idea for guys. It seems like all female interests and activities are basically off limits to guys, with the exception of dance clubs. Or when you do have outings it is in small groups and the pack mentality comes into play.

So lets have it. Where do you or your single friends go, alone or in a large enough group to not have a pack mentality when you are there, where you would be open to meeting guys there? And where getting drunk is not the main focus of the gathering.
 Marion_Sunshine
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Where do single women hang out or gather where guys can meet them?
Posted: 1/3/2009 10:40:12 AM
I'm single gal and I also live in a small town. Trust me it is hard to find a single man in this area. I go to football games, basketball games, and yes EVEN Lowes... Hey maybe if I seem like I am a dansel in distress maybe just maybe someone nice will come along and help me. I also go to places like Applebees with my other single girlfriends just to unwind and have some intelligent conversation.
 misscrissee
Msg: 3
Posted: 1/3/2009 10:45:52 AM
I've had the cutest interactions while shopping in grocery stores...You never know, your soulmate could be shopping in aisle 5!
 Thundercloud111
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2009 10:54:21 AM
Let me get this straight? You want a macho manly women's group to join? A woman's group that won't make you look less macho manly?

How about a group where you have to use your brain, share, and learn something? A book club? A poetry reading? Something spiritual like a psychic fair? An art show? Community theatre? Women love a man who can talk in fine lines like a poet.

I honestly don't know of many women who enjoy manly man contests amongst beer baboons for the grand idiot place in the pack.
 silentsteel
Msg: 5
Posted: 1/3/2009 10:58:10 AM
Kids sporting events have alot of single women in attendance. Now i am not suggesting you get GEED up and go start hitting on moms at the next peewee soccer game, but taking an active interest in a nicece or nephews sport, may at least get you having conversations. Besides...its a win win...even if you dont meet any women, you have at least supported the youngsters in your family.
 hemeling
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/3/2009 11:04:05 AM
If you go by POF profiles, then they're all out walking, in this green an pleasant land, so either hang around the outdoor pursuit shops, or take a couple of well trained dogs out on the moors and round a bunch of them up, alternatively set up as a chiropodist and let them come to you.

I hope this helps.
 *lilacwine*
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2009 11:11:13 AM
How about the bookstore, the grocery store, or the doggie park? If you don't have a mutt, get one. He'll keep you company until you find that lady.

If you are spiritual, join a new church. Or take a community-education class. Even if you don't meet anyone there. you will have learned something new.
 TX Jeep Guy
Msg: 8
Posted: 1/3/2009 11:32:27 AM
Lets just say for a second that you wanted to do some manly man thang and meet a loser such as myself.

Come on, work with me here, ok?

Volunteering at The Humane Society, or better yet, bringing a homeless dog to the dog park. Dog parks are rather good places to meet guys with a caring side, and the cooler the dog you have, the cooler the dude you meet.

NO POMERANIANS!!!

Go with the Labs or the fetching type dogs and start throwing tennis balls at the cute guys there. The dog will guide you to glory.

Some type of "Wine Appreciation Class" you know, where they teach you all that vino prentiousness and snobbery. You can meet guys who are looking to expand their worldly appreciation and broaden their horizons. On the plus side, you can get him drunk and hit the local IHOP after class.

Dance Lessons...especially Country Western as this is something you can take anywhere and use to meet even more guys afterward if you don't like the clumsy clods in your class.

Well, that's where you would find losers like me, anyway. So maybe that's a good place NOT to start, but I'm kind of a manly man loser, so maybe it just might work.
 Bellydanza
Msg: 9
Posted: 1/3/2009 11:33:11 AM
Silent Steel and his ''single moms'' thing reminded me of the Hugh Grant movie ''about a boy'' great movie.

As for the grocery store, last time i went a guy approached me when i was putting in water and cokes in my buggy. He said ''stocking up after the holidays.'' I said ''no this is a normal grocery run for me'' . I figured he was trying but he wasn't my type. I kept shopping and noticed him on another aisle. That's when I also noticed he had no cart, no groceries of any kind. He was just there trying to meet women. I thought it was the cheesiest thing ever. Looked a bit desperate. So at least be buying something if you're at the store. LOL.

But taking classes and volunteer work are great ideas. You meet like minded people.
 michaelx
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/3/2009 12:03:38 PM
Thundercloud and tx jeep guy I think you missed the point of my post. I am not looking for a manly man place where women go at all. And thundercloud if you read my post again, I said where drinking is not the primary activity.

Or maybe I phrased it wrong.

I'm asking women where, in an otherwise neutral activity (neither manly nor girlie), they look around and say "Damn, I just realized its mostly all girls here. I wish there were more guys here that enjoyed this type of thing." OR, if it is a girlie activity, where a single guy won't be assumed to be gay or creepy just for walking in the door.

Any mention of the manly man thing was stating there seem to be a lot of opportunities for women to take up an activity where there are a lot of guys and her presence will be appreciated and noticed in a positive manner, and few for a man.

I'm plenty comfortable with my masculinity and "macho-ness" as it were. Volunteering and ideas like theatre (would love to try acting as I have so many friends into) are great ideas and I appreciate those who responded helpfully. Would love to take a ballroom dance class, guess what you have to register with a partner. In fact I have looked at many of those things not just for meeting someone but for my own enjoyment as well. Guess I have to face the fact that I moved to the wrong town in the wrong part of the country for many of those things. Hell, I doubt we even have a dog park.

Oh well, far far away from the south and military towns come September if nothing changes before then.
 Mominatrix
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2009 12:05:40 PM
Take a ballroom dance class. Good chance you will be one of a very few men there.

It's good exercise, and you will learn to dance. A lot of women really love men who can dance.
 pnayplayr
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/3/2009 12:09:26 PM
anywhere and everywhere! u just gotta have the courage to ask.

one of my buddy got his eye laser surgery done. as we were walking out, he asked the receptionist/assistant for a piece of paper. after she gave it to him, he then asked for a pen...then eventually her number...lol! pretty slick eh!

at first, she was reluctant, then he was like, "is it the eyes?" (him practically all mucus filled due to the surgery and stuff). this happened in the fall. we all hung out last nite and i saw her there. everyone bought their "date"...and she was his. with that, i'm a firm believer that "single women" can be "picked-up" anywhere and everywhere...as long as they're actually interested back at ya.
 tarwater
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/3/2009 12:17:54 PM
OP: I agree with the suggestions about joining a book club, keeping up with a nephew or niece's sports team, volunteering at a place like an animal shelter. When the weather is nicer, a lot of singles around these parts seem to be in walking / running / biking groups. Assess your interests and find something that touches upon them that involves people (both men and women) getting together to participate or volunteer. Maybe even find out about PoF gatherings within reasonable distance from your area (or other singles groups gatherings)?

I kept shopping and noticed him on another aisle. That's when I also noticed he had no cart, no groceries of any kind. He was just there trying to meet women. I thought it was the cheesiest thing ever. Looked a bit desperate.

Actually, that sounds more creepy than cheesy to me.
 misscrissee
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/3/2009 12:20:33 PM
Go skiing or snowboarding! If you don't know how, it is great fun learning and a good opportunity to meet great people...
 Lovelytonou
Msg: 15
Posted: 1/3/2009 12:48:35 PM

All you have to do is take a little interest to learn something about a manly activity, racing, shooting, politics, etc.

I didn't realize that I've been dabbling in a manly activity all these years; politics?

OK, aside from this, you have an outdoors kind of job. What about joining the Sierra Club and go on their hikes, etc.? Many women belong to the one where I live. Increase your circle of interests by tapping into them. How about getting involved in some local volunteer work at a school (hey, you can go in and share your experiences as a career interest) and make connections there. Or, volunteer at a local organization that you can connect with such as a historical society, building an outdoor recreation area for the local kids, recycling, food co-op, etc. There's so much out there. You just have to step outside of the typical meeting venues. Guaranteed, you'll find many women involved in those kinds of things. If you're stumped on what's available, go to your local Chamber of Commerce and find out resource groups you can communicate with. Best of luck to you.
 Sumo_sumo
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/3/2009 12:59:45 PM
Abortion clinics

It shows they put out too
 silentsteel
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/3/2009 1:23:14 PM
^^^^^^let the melt down reponses commence^^^^^

in

moonbeamlover
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/3/2009 1:56:29 PM
In decent weather (anything above zero) usually can be found out walking one of the lakes or out on the lake canoeing or fishing... sometimes alone and sometimes with friends. I'm always happy when people come up and say hi to me when I'm out there; it's fun sharing enjoyment of a beautiful day outside with other nature lovers.

In inclement weather, (unless I'm with my youngest in the solarium watching the storms going acrosss the lake) I will probably be in a Barnes and Noble... totally losing track of time... (that one usually do alone - can spend hours there literally). But again, if someone happens to be a book fanatic and has a comment on a book I'm thoroughly checking out; I'm always happy talking books; so I doubt anyone else who's a book aficiando would feel differently about being approached. (speaking of which, I've been looking for a book club, but haven't found any in the area. I wish I could; I love to read everything and am always up for new suggestions).
 misscrissee
Msg: 19
Posted: 1/3/2009 2:15:18 PM

Abortion clinics

It shows they put out too

And this poster's profile states that he is a Teacher....Nice....
 Spikes1981
Msg: 20
Posted: 1/3/2009 2:43:56 PM

And this poster's profile states that he is a Teacher....Nice....

Ah, it's an old joke. Still amusing, but older than dirt. The whole point is that it's offensive and gets people like you chomping at the bit. It's kind of like fishing, except it's always catch and release and the bait is free.

There really are no places where single women congregate looking for guys. Guys, as I'm sure you are well aware, are game to be picked up anywhere and any time. Women, on the other hand, generally aren't interested unless they're looking. If they're looking, you're not going to find them with a bunch of other women (outside of the bar scene) because they're not looking to hang out, they're looking to catch a man. The last thing they want is competition from other single girls. Makes sense, after all, that's why you want somewhere that single women congregate without a lot of guys there. Less competition makes you look all the more attractive as an option.

It's all supply and demand, you're not going to have the same opportunities that a chick does to go somewhere and meet tons of receptive singles; boobs are in much higher demand than****is.

If you're interested in meeting women without wasting tons of money on booze, my suggestion is this:

Start frequenting the library/local bookstores. Generally speaking, there will be women there (attractive, slightly geeky women) who will appreciate getting hit on. Assuming of course, that you're flirting, not propositioning, but I think you're smart enough to appreciate the difference.

Hit up coffee houses, whether it's Starbucks or something local. Again, you can catch them by themselves in an environment where they're comfortable.

Even if you're not interested in a girl, make friends any time you can. Women, strangely enough, are like men in that they have friends (weird concept, I know). I'd never tell any of my exes this, but about half of my short term exes had friends that I was more interested in than I was in them. Worst case scenario, you waste some time hanging out with a girl that you're not that into (beats sitting at home masturbating). Best case scenario, she's got a best friend that happens to be single and who digs you. I used to have a large number of female friends, and as long as you're not an ***hole to any of them, they'll talk you up to their girlfriends.
 *lilacwine*
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2009 2:44:56 PM
Sumo, that was really low.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Where do single women hang out or gather where guys can meet them?