Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > What does "full-figured" really mean?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 forgivenonenine
Msg: 1
What does "full-figured" really mean?Page 1 of 1    
When a lady uses the description on her profile, what is she really saying? I recall the actress Jane Russell advertising the "full-figured" bras on TV commercials. I thought that Dolly Parton was "full-figured." Apparently, I do not know what it means and would like some guidance. Can you help with an explanation of what is being said when this description is used.
 i like cats
Msg: 2
view profile
History
What does full-figured really mean?
Posted: 1/6/2009 8:35:43 PM
Each woman probably means something a little different....including a term for "fat" or "overweight".

But in general, a full figured gal means a large curvy figure, big breasts and big hips. What's in between, up, or down, all depends on the person describing it.
"Full figured" is a subjective term...not an objective one....just like "thin", "athletic", "average"...they are ALL open to a little subjective interpretation!
 compound_fracture
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2009 8:40:42 PM
Jane Russell of the industrially-engineered brassiere is a little far from the mark. She was a svelte lady with a big bust. Dolly Parton is a teeny-tiny woman who is full-haired and full-breasted.

Unless the picture indicates otherwise, "full-figured" is a delicate euphemism for "fat." I must say though, I admire your optimism. If I thought the "full-figured" lingerie section at Walmart was going to be crawling with a bunch of Jane Russells, I'd lead a happier life.
 ruckus123
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2009 8:49:16 PM
Full Figured is the nice way of saying FAT because it makes FAT women feel like they aren't fat even though they are.
 silentsteel
Msg: 5
Posted: 1/6/2009 8:50:37 PM
uh yeah.....full figured means they are a little girthy. You will find that there are some women out there that have no idea what full figured means either.....lol
 CutiepieHoneybunch
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/6/2009 9:17:50 PM
Generally, ample bosom and rear and overall more "cuddly"...

Women's clothing is a bad way to look at it. Its a standard one assigns to themselves...

Other words:
Curvy
Busty
Thick
Zoftig
Rubenesque
Festively Plump
Cushion for the Pushin
Well insulated

Etc.
You get the picture.
 varinia
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/6/2009 9:22:11 PM
I have to admit that I'm confused now. I've always described myself as 'curvy', which I thought to mean 'curvy. Didn't realize that it's another word for 'fat'.

So, how would you the describe Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russell. I thought that was considered 'curvy'.
 compound_fracture
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2009 9:28:46 PM

I have to admit that I'm confused now. I've always described myself as 'curvy', which I thought to mean 'curvy. Didn't realize that it's another word for 'fat'.

The word has been appropriated by larger women who feel uncomfortable referring to themselves as "heavy," "hefty," "plump," "fat," etc.

There are about 800,000 threads devoted to long, long arguments between various factions of fat women, fatty-hating men, curvy women who feel like they're thought of as fat, and every other kind of person, about the "Curvy vs. Fat" issue.

"Curvy," like "full-figured" could be accurately applied to Jane Russell, or Marilyn Monroe, or Jayne Mansfield, or any number of women with hourglass shapes, but it is generally applied to fat women (usually by the fat women themselves).

Nobody's calling you fat. Feel better?
 Fashionista2121
Msg: 9
Posted: 1/6/2009 10:04:30 PM
I always took it to mean that you had a well-endowed chest. But now, many people use full-figured and thick as a nicer way of saying fat.
 bbwhmk
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/7/2009 2:10:09 AM
well its supposed to mean large busted and hips...but pretty much it means fat now days.
 Bellydanza
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/7/2009 4:03:28 AM
I call myself thick and curvy. I have shapely legs, regular size hips, a big belly, and bigger chest.
But some men have said I'm fat, some have said I'm not...just curvy. So who knows? It's all in who is looking and judging at the time. And everyone has different ideas about it. So the men saying FAT women call themselves this to feel better, are a bit off base. Many times we're called certain things by society and we pick the one we like.

I've said this before but a 300lb defensive lineman is going to call himself athletic not fat. Not many people will argue with him. It's all in your perspective.

But the hostility that exists with people who have some weight is sad because as a teacher, having just read essays my middle school kids wrote about resolution, I'm saddened by the number of girls AND now boys who consider themselves fat and want to lose weight. Many of these kids are normal weights, and some slightly chunky with some baby fat, and yet they are already disastisfied with themselves because they are not super thin like they are supposed to be according to society.
 shima50
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 1/7/2009 4:16:13 AM
It means they are not dainty!!! usually large breasts, not fat but just more......get it? it dosent mean they have a big fat booty or a big fat stomach, if you take a tiny woman and just englarge her then you have full figured......................if you say fat then that would be bbw or obese...................full figured still have curves due to a shape, fat woman have curves due to rolls of fat...........there is a difference...
 Bellydanza
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/7/2009 4:30:26 AM
I think it used to mean this back with Jane Russell...bigger breasts....but now it's used for bigger women ...
and by the way most full figured models...so they call them...these days...it's just that they are larger women with curvy figures....not rolls of fat. They work out as much as the thin, skilly models so they have a nice shape...they are just larger.
 afashionlady
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/7/2009 5:09:58 AM
OP

Fat. This said by a fat woman. I HATE that phrase because you're right, it IS misleading. If a woman tells you that, ask for a picture so YOU can decide.

THAT is why having a picture on your profile makes sense. Nothing worse than a woman who's fat (yeah I said it) saying she's full figured. Yes, she has a figure and apparently it's full...

It's like a guy with a belly saying he's athletic. He might have LOOKED at athletic shoes but he ain't.

If you go by my picture--I could be full figured. But again, who's deciding? I'm a chunky woman who's thick. Period. I'm not a 55 yr old woman trying to hide that fact--I'm a 45 yr old woman who knows what's in the picture won't lie!
 Robbie12121
Msg: 15
Posted: 1/7/2009 5:51:34 AM
10/10 darling you hit the nail right on the head there. I've been miss lead to many times! 10/10 for you honesty too, good on ya girl friend xx
 msdenissen3
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/7/2009 7:28:43 AM
I always thought "curvy" was Selma Hayek, and "full figured" was what is the current state of Oprah's figure, and "fat" is that women you see in the grocery store in sweats and wobbly non waist apple figure.
Fat is really unhealthy, but curvy is feminine, and full figured is curvy with a little more, but still feminine.
 mtb1124
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 1/7/2009 7:36:21 AM
I beleave it means that they are above the average weight. They have bigger breast and still has a nice figure. If that doesn't help you . Then picture this an average woman with a nice figure and bouble here size. anything else would be considered BBW. ( Big Beautiful Woman ) with out any type of picture. But thats just my oppinion.
 Jumbie564
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 1/7/2009 7:43:08 AM

But the hostility that exists with people who have some weight is sad because as a teacher, having just read essays my middle school kids wrote about resolution, I'm saddened by the number of girls AND now boys who consider themselves fat and want to lose weight. Many of these kids are normal weights, and some slightly chunky with some baby fat, and yet they are already disastisfied with themselves because they are not super thin like they are supposed to be according to society.

Consider then, that your attitude may very well be exacerbating what has become the biggest health epidemic this nation faces. Granted, kids have fragile and developing minds but coddling them into thinking that being overweight is okay, or that it's just "baby fat", may be doing them a far greater disservice. Education is key in terms of teaching proper nutrition - the earlier the better.

From the New York Times (1/6/2009):

Early Weight Problems Often Undiagnosed
By ERIC NAGOURNEY
Published: January 5, 2009
Hey, Doc — the kid’s overweight, O.K.?

Trends in the Diagnosis of Overweight and Obesity in Children and Adolescents: 1999–2007 (Pediatrics)That is the message of a new study that looked at the medical records of more than 60,000 children and found that most of those who weighed too much were not given that diagnosis by a pediatrician.

Writing in the January issue of Pediatrics, the researchers reported that weight-related diagnoses were given to only 10 percent of the overweight patients, 54 percent of the obese ones and 76 percent of the severely obese. The lead author is Lacey Benson of the Case Western Reserve School of Medicine.

The researchers said that especially with patients who were overweight but not yet obese, doctors might be missing a good chance to intervene.

For the study, the researchers looked at electronic medical records for patients ages 2 to 18 in a Cleveland health system over a period of more than eight years. Using the weight and height entered for each child, they determined when the body mass index was too high, and they recorded whether a diagnosis had been entered.

It may be, said Dr. David C. Kaelber, a co-author of the study, that electronic records systems may offer part of the solution. The systems could automatically alert doctors, and even patients, about a weight problem even after the appointment.
 msdenissen3
Msg: 19
Posted: 1/7/2009 8:02:51 AM
How can you think that all the kids that want to lose weight are on the road to obesity?
Don't you see the otherside of the spectrum. Have you opened a magazine lately? What is Hollywood teaching our society. Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie, Lindsey Lohan, Hilary Duff....
Kid's idols are skinnnnnny. That is why most of my students want to lose weight. I'm a dance teacher, and none of my students are by any means on the road to obesity. Quite the opposite. Many of them are annorexic.
 happyrebel
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 1/7/2009 8:06:20 AM
The body is larger than 'average' in all departments.

Raider....Its sad that so many of the school kids think they need to diet. Most haven't even lost their 'baby fat' yet....Not to say that some of them don't need it..but the majority are just in between growth spurts.

HR
 bsg789
Msg: 21
Posted: 1/7/2009 8:31:10 AM
Technically it should mean having a hourglass figure. But many women will misuse the term. They will call themsevles curvy or full-figured when they are obese.

I've said this before but a 300lb defensive lineman is going to call himself athletic not fat. Not many people will argue with him. It's all in your perspective.

I understand your point. But 300 lb defensive linemen will also have a lot of muscle. If a woman weighs anywhere close to 300 lbs, then it would probably be mostly rolls of fat. Also defensive linemen are usually much taller than the average women. That is another reason why they could carry more weight without looking like they are morbidly obese.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > What does "full-figured" really mean?