Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > Do men usually mean it when they say a girl is pretty?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 syntheticdolly
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Do men usually mean it when they say a girl is pretty?Page 1 of 1    
Or do most of them use it just to please her/ get into her pants? I know it'd usually depend on the situation and the individual who's saying it, but what about complete strangers even? I'm just curious to see how genuine the statement is, and your opinion on it.
 James Bottomtooth III
Msg: 2
Do men usually mean it when they say a girl is pretty?
Posted: 1/9/2009 11:57:55 AM
Need to see a picture 1st.
 CutiepieHoneybunch
Msg: 3
Posted: 1/9/2009 12:01:30 PM
In my experience, guys say that to get the golden pass to pantieland. Honestly, hearing the same old, "Hey gorgeous" sends a huge red flag to me these days. Its horrible. Its making me very upset as well. So I am with you on this one.

If a guy can state something unique about WHY I am beautiful etc. etc. etc. then we are working with something. Or if he actually notices something about my personality that makes me beautiful or more beautiful etc. That is what I think tends to be more genuine.

But then again, I'm not a guy, so honestly, I don't know for sure.
 TravelingMel
Msg: 4
Posted: 1/9/2009 12:03:03 PM
Why do people have problems accepting a compliment?
 silentsteel
Msg: 5
Posted: 1/9/2009 12:04:23 PM
I dont know any man that uses the word "pretty".
 syntheticdolly
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 1/9/2009 12:08:29 PM
I don't have problems accepting a compliment, Mel, I was just asking a question.
 syntheticdolly
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 1/9/2009 12:09:40 PM
"Need to see a picture 1st."

This isn't about ME, it's a question in general.
 Write Time
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 1/9/2009 12:09:53 PM
Don't know about anyone else, but I sure wouldn't say it if I didn't mean it.

It isn't a compliment I throw around lightly, but it also isn't one I'd hold back if I really meant it. Not because I'd necessarily *want* something from the woman, but because she deserves to hear it.
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 9
Posted: 1/9/2009 12:20:11 PM

I dont know any man that uses the word "pretty".

Yes, you do. I'm sorry he doesn't say it to you, *I* think you're pretty, in kind of a dykey way. Many men get sort of "babyish" when talking to women (I should know, I actually date men). It sounds like it may surprise you to also know that many men open up and talk to us about things they wouldn't talk to YOU, their casual buddy, about.

Yes, men mean it when they say you are pretty. Now, for some guys there is nothing prettier than a girl in his bed, but, whatever.
 ALOHA_CUTIE
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/9/2009 12:22:39 PM
Its a compliment that is well meant. Be a lady. say "thank you" and accept it. Besides, men get hugely turned off by any woman who cannot accept a compliment...its like telling them you don't think you're pretty.

Compliments only have "hidden intentions" if they are too much in too little time....the guy showers you with compliments galore on the first date or when he barely knows you. He also says things that he might think you want to hear like marriage or wanting to be in a serious relationship with you when he barely knows you. Thirdly, any guy who is very touchy feely on the first date is also showing signs of being a player.
 Gangster Kitten
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 1/9/2009 12:26:49 PM
Compliments only have "hidden intentions" if they are too much in too little time....the guy showers you with compliments galore on the first date or when he barely knows you. He also says things that he might think you want to hear like marriage or wanting to be in a serious relationship with you when he barely knows you. Thirdly, any guy who is very touchy feely on the first date is also showing signs of being a player.

I'm a touchy-feely guy. What are you trying to say? ~Folds arms and raises eyebrows.~

I agree with all of your other points in this post though.

It's pretty easy for me to string out a casual

"You're pretty cute."
"You're hawt behb."

Without making any 'advances' and still meaning what I said. I do it a lot actually. I never comment about a woman's appearance unless it's true. And 99% of the male population I know does it too. Even the players.

In my experience, guys say that to get the golden pass to pantieland.

Fair enough, but think about it. Would he really want into pantieland if you weren't good' lookin?
 zapped
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/9/2009 1:14:32 PM
You have to believe in yourself first that youre pretty and from there any compliments may it be from a man or a woman and whatever thier purpose are ....you have no doubts in yourself that youre pretty indeed!
 ForumStorm08
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 1/9/2009 1:39:05 PM
I would NEVER tell a woman that she's pretty in order to get into her pants.
I would tell her that she was gorgeous or a doll and would lick my eyebrow
afterward.
 gtomustang
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 1/9/2009 2:01:03 PM
If she isn't pretty, why would he want to sleep at the Y?

Its a compliment. Take it. sure, he may want more, but there are women I say it to, who I'll never have. Its a simple statement of fact. They are attractive.

Its like wondering, if someone tells you you have money, do they want some of it? Sure they do. So what?
 whistler21_nn
Msg: 15
Posted: 1/9/2009 2:25:26 PM
I rarely use the word pretty. 'Pretty' used too often; in the wrong circumstances or to someone who has confidence issues could be seen as being insincere. Others may disagree.

However, I use 'attractive' extensively - because there is always something I see in women that I like. Looks aren't everything in my opinion; intelligence, humour, confidence; stuff like that attract me.
 c_deacon
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 1/9/2009 2:31:34 PM
Attractive can mean the whole package, and that can be from looks, to clothes,
to personality, to style, to brains, etc.

Whatever it is that makes one attractive, and that can be, being very pretty, is what starts the process of seeing if that attraction is mutual, and if mutual, if chemistry can be developed......

OT.......Just as some women do not like the word "pretty", there are some of us men that prefer not to hear the word "cute".......shudders and leaves now......

Just my opinion.......
 Sir Pryze
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/9/2009 2:32:01 PM
Depends on the situation. I tell my friends at work how pretty they are. They accept it because we're buds, nothing would happen. I don't tell them how gorgeous their looking. That's cheese!
Strangers...well, I think if they're looking good then they might as well know it. Don't need me walking up to them and looking like a fidiot.
 SingleGuy4912
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 1/9/2009 2:35:44 PM
Only when it's said behind your back.

When it's said to your face, it's possible they're just being kind.

For instance, a guy might say to a homely girl whose depressed about not being in a relationship:
'You're a pretty girl, you'll find someone....' but he's thinking ' just not me...'

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > Do men usually mean it when they say a girl is pretty?