Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > The POF Search Function is Bizarre and Defective      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Kelley-1989
Msg: 1
The POF Search Function is Bizarre and DefectivePage 1 of 1    
Has anyone else noticed that Basic Search, when logged on, only includes a small fraction of people searched for even when the total numbers are far less than 100 and that it will also include people from states hundreds of miles away even when the search is limited to 50 miles?

To keep the total number below 600, I did the following: Searched for all Males seeking Females 18 to 30 within 50 miles of Texarkana. For Basic Search I set the search to include All Profiles For Anything Sort Last Visit (or Sort Newest User, it makes no difference) All Ethnicities United States. For Advanced Search I set the search to include United States and ‘I don’t care’ for everything else.
The above should have included everyone searched for but it didn’t and only 10 percent in Basic Search. The following are my results:

Logged on:

Basic search:
State Arkansas, City Texarkana, Zip 71854 (Texarkana, AR only has one zip code).
12 people all from Arkansas.

Leaving the state blank and either Texarkana or 71854:
31 people including people from Arkansas, Texas, Oklahoma, and Louisiana. People from those four states should be included. It also included one person from Missouri and one person from Alabama both far outside the 50 mile search range.

The Advanced search gave the following results:
Arkansas and Texarkana and/or 71854: 112
State Blank and Texarkana and/or zip: 272

Logged off gave the following results:
Arkansas and Texarkana and/or 71854: 107
State Blank and Texarkana and/or 71854: 282
State Blank, Texarkana and 75505 (a zip code in Texarkana, TX): 325

I got similar results when using Hope, AR. The best results are to log off and include only the Zip and leave the State Blank. Second best is log on, do an Advanced Search, and include the City but leave the State blank.
 OpieDopey
Msg: 2
view profile
History
The POF Search Function is Bizarre and Defective
Posted: 1/16/2009 11:53:54 AM
why would you bother searching, didn't you say that you never contact, just let the guys flock to you?
 Kelley-1989
Msg: 3
Posted: 1/16/2009 12:06:52 PM
If you would have bothered to read posts 19 and 21 from the same thread, you would have understood.
See: http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts11605763.aspx
In post 19, I simply made a search to compare the number of males to females. After obtaining the results and noting that there were only 12 females ages 18 to 25 within 50 miles of Texarkana, I then wrote my post to point out out that there are very few females on POF.

However, my results were obtained from the basic search. LostGirl then pointed out that she made the identical search and received 120 females ages 18 to 25, ten times the numbers. When I emailed her, she told me she obtained her results by doing the search after logging off first.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 4
Posted: 1/16/2009 12:27:19 PM
However, my results were obtained from the basic search. LostGirl then pointed out that she made the identical search and received 120 females ages 18 to 25, ten times the numbers. When I emailed her, she told me she obtained her results by doing the search after logging off first.

Your Contact Restrictions in your Mail Settings filter your Searches.
 Kelley-1989
Msg: 5
Posted: 1/16/2009 12:45:16 PM
Your Contact Restrictions in your Mail Settings filter your Searches.

That may well be. However, my only mail restrictions are 100 characters minimum for messages and IM is disabled. Neither should filter anyone. I do not have Mail Setting to filter anyone because I do not wish to prevent anyone on the forums from being able to contact me.
 OTTO BONN
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2009 1:41:26 PM
When you login to your POF account, like when you want to access your mail, both the Basic and Advanced Search will exclude anyone that you cannot send mail to due to their age restrictions in their Mail Settings filter.

Also, I believe that when you are logged in, the Basic Search automatically filters out anyone who is Married, Prefers Not to Say or is seeking Intimate Encounter unless you specifically search for those things.
 Kelley-1989
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/16/2009 1:54:13 PM
When you log in to your POF account, like when you want to access your mail, both the Basic and Advanced searches will exclude anyone that you can not send mail to due to THEIR age restrictions in the mail settings filter.

Also, I believe that when you are logged in, the Basic Search automatically filters out anyone who is Married, Prefers Not to Say or is seeking Intimate Encounter unless you specifically search for those things.

If true, that would have excluded some but not more than 50 percent and certainly nowhere near 90 percent.

Edit: I just logged off and did the search again and checked the mail restriction of everyone on the first page. 6 out of the 15 or 40 percent had mail restriction that would eliminate me, all based on age. Therefore, even if you are right, that can account for no more than 50 percent that are not included in a basic search when logged on. And again, nowhere near the 90 percent reduction.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 8
Posted: 1/16/2009 2:27:23 PM
6 out of the 15 or 40 percent had mail restriction that would eliminate me, all based on age. Therefore, even if you are right, that can account for no more than 50 percent that are not included in a basic search when logged on. And again, nowhere near the 90 percent reduction.

Also those who have a 75 Mile Distance Restriction would be filtered out.

According to the Admin, basically Age, Sex and Location is filtered. More recent Additions to the Filter also suggets other Restrictions. Unless he fully outlines exactly how the entire Filtration System works (what may have been the Case yesterday, is no longer today, and Vice Versa), its only Guesswork how it actually functions.

It would take me Way too much Time to test, outline and report on how the Search Functions exactly work, and by tomorrow it could all have been changed.

Possibly your 100 Word minimum Contact Restriction, which is also not indicated on your Profile, may have filtered those who routinely do not send First Contact E-Mails with many Words.

Unless the Admin outlines the Search System in Detail, or some Extensive Testing is done on it, its all Guesswork, none of the extant Data adds up.
 Kelley-1989
Msg: 9
Posted: 1/16/2009 2:37:14 PM
Possibly your 100 Word minimum Contact Restriction, which is also not indicated on your Profile, may have filtered those who routinely do not send First Contact E-Mails with many Words.

Unless the Admin outlines the Search System in Detail, or some Extensive Testing is done on it, its all Guesswork, none of the extant Data adds up.

Thank you. Combined with the other possible restrictions, I can understand how that may explain the apparent discrepancies. Certainly, that is the best explanation.
 A1ALonePalm
Msg: 10
Posted: 10/29/2009 4:32:06 PM
Yep. It's extremely tricky. And, you can't delete your profile when you want off.
 *Cowboy*
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 10/29/2009 4:44:46 PM
You can delete your own profile any time you want to.

Cowboy
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > The POF Search Function is Bizarre and Defective