Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Do you believe a woman when she says ...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 TimothyPaul001
Msg: 1
Do you believe a woman when she says ...Page 1 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
Do you believe it when a woman claims to like men things such as football, boxing, rock climbing, hiking, fishing, hunting, camping, sking, skydiving, scuba diving, tennis, hand ball, and so on?

Or do you think she is just pretending to like those things so that you will like her?

As a woman do you feel pressured to pretend in order to compete with other women who do?

As Dr. Phil is known to say, "Let's get real." Men invented all those things mentioned earlier, not women. For that matter, can you think of a single sport or outdoor activity that women invented?

If a man were to claim he liked women things--shopping, having his hair done, sewing, scrap booking, and so on. what would you think?

Look forward to hearing what you have to say.

Sincerely,

Timothy Paul

say she likes such things as fishing, rock climbing, football, camping, skydiving, sking, ... You know. She says she likes guy things.
 gudnplenty
Msg: 2
Do you believe a woman when she says ...
Posted: 1/17/2009 9:46:49 AM
Some of these things I actually do like, however if a woman mentions the whole laundry list..that I find a tad hard to believe. So are you saying only who 'invented' a certain sport can play it??
Please realize the world has evolved and we girls are allowed to play with tonka trucks now also.

P.S. I do have a brother that knits better then most women I know, he's a Railroad engineer and needed a small very portable hobby for his layover/rest times, does that make him less of a man?
 Ms Taken
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2009 9:48:24 AM

Men invented all those things mentioned earlier, not women.

So that we may look it up and verify that you know what you're talking about, could you give us the name of the men who invented those things, please.
 Ismene1
Msg: 4
Posted: 1/17/2009 9:50:24 AM
Timothy, are you sure you are only 50? I thought maybe you were born in the Victorian era? Sorry, I'm going to give you a hard time...don't take it too personally. Men things and women things? Since when? Oh yea, the Victorian age, and even then, the only reason women didn't do 'men' things was because men didn't allow them to. Who played major league baseball during WWII? Who worked in the armament factories, drove the trucks, ran the schools and companies? My grandmother was a school principal during the war because the male principal was in the military. Shopping is a woman thing? I hate shopping, guess I'm not a real woman. If a woman tells you she likes to hunt or fish or play pool, she probably does. A few, some, may be lying to get a date with you, but most are being truthful. I am being very, very truthful when I say I have no interest in hunting or fishing or even pool, but I do a lot of other sports and I am being very truthful when I say I hate shopping, especially for shoes. I don't sew or cook, having my hair done is a pain in the a$$, and so on and etc. But, I'll hike all day long any chance I get. Gosh, maybe I'm a man...
 suanam_90
Msg: 5
Posted: 1/17/2009 9:58:31 AM
I dont know about other women but the ones in my family like boxing ,soccer and baseball. I also like football I used to go to the Rose Bowl every saturday to whatch it and had a blast. I also like to play pool and feel Im kind of good at it. I play better than a lot of men.lol so no we dont lie to the men to be liked.
 SuchARealLady
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/17/2009 10:01:48 AM
*If a man were to claim he liked women things--shopping, having his hair done, sewing, scrap booking, and so on. what would you think? *

Apart from the sewing, we wouldn't have anything in common. Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeext!

OP, it was men who created the concept of buying and selling. Commerce!! Shopping!!

When I was "looking" in here, I would scan the interests on a profile and see if we had any genuinely common interests. I didn't expect to find perfect "interest" matches. And I certainly hoped that if I clicked with somebody that he would continue to pursue his interests independently of me just as I would keep getting on with my interests without him.

SARL
 Scurvy Little Spider
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/17/2009 10:03:53 AM
Oh, this could get good, let me pull up a chair, and pop some popcorn. Except -- wait -- I think since it's a given males invented all those things, they obviously invented fire, so probably also invented cooking, and you can't really like something you didn't invent, so I won't try to claim I LIKE making the popcorn.
 rhettsbutler
Msg: 8
Posted: 1/17/2009 10:03:55 AM
20 to 30 years ago I found more women feigning interest in some of the more masculine activities, probably so the didn't feel left out while we're watching/doing them.
Nowadays, it's not necessary for them to be so intermingled in our lives, they actually are allowed to do stuff outside the home, even work.
We've all evolved (well most of us) to the point where there aren't girl things/boy things. I like to cook, I don't hate shopping and if I ever had the time i'd love a manicure/pedicure/massage.
 James Bottomtooth III
Msg: 9
Posted: 1/17/2009 10:04:43 AM

...As a woman do you feel pressured to pretend in order to compete with other women who do?...

So you are saying that women pretend to participate in male dominated sports to compete with woman that actually participate in these sports?

That make no sense at all....

Oh hold on I think I see the problem here...

Yep, OP quoted Dr. Phil, that explains allot.
 TimothyPaul001
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/17/2009 10:06:00 AM
You are 100% right. There is overwhelming evidence that men and women are intrinsically different. They think differently. They act differently. They have different strengths and weaknesses. And they tend to like to do different things for fun.
 Ismene1
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/17/2009 10:06:27 AM

Yep, OP quoted Dr. Phil, that explains a lot.

Wait a second.....I thought Dr. Phil was a woman thing? Now I'm getting confused---
 DebiSHB
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2009 10:06:46 AM
Do you believe it when a woman claims to like men things such as football
SERIOUSLY? Since when was football only a man thing. Let me tell you I frequent the sports forums and when it comes to football (something I'm extremely passionate about) I could put some men to shame with my knowledge of the sport. The last guy I dated didn't know the difference between the AFC and the NFC. PUHLEEEASE!! I'm almost offended that you asked this question. BTW Happy Play Off Weekend!!

Or do you think she is just pretending to like those things so that you will like her?
Pretending to be something you are not is a dangerous game and one that always leads to trouble in the end. Why pretend to be something you are not? Isn't that a waste of time? If you are trying to let people get to know you then why not let them get to know the REAL you. Besides I personally think that I'm alot more interesting than anything I could ever make up.
 ItsMargo
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2009 10:07:04 AM
LOL, since when does being interested in something relate to who or which gender invented it?

^^ If you think about the logic you used there, you'll see where you are off the mark in your other thoughts.

Like... I'm not in competition with other people for attention and interest from a man. << If one wanted to, I suppose one could argue that notion is drawn along male competitive lines... so it isn't necessarily surprising that a man would wonder this about women. *grins*

Some women may well have that competitive pov. Some people exaggerate their interest in things in order to seem more appealing to their new love interest... I think that is a hopeless thing to do BTW. Other people develop interests in new things through their new partner... and that is always great fun and shouldn't be viewed as deceptive IMO.

I seek compatibility... so it is a matter of finding out if we are on the same wavelength, or not. In my case,I don't much care if we share the same hobbies and interests. My huge passion was riding and horses, and with very few exceptions, most of the men I have been in relationship with didn't much like them.

I enjoy hockey and skating... I'm thinking about joining a beginners league if I improve my basic skills enough... has nothing to do with men in my life. My daughter plays competitive hockey and a whole host of sports... and has met with "Girl's play hockey????" all of her life. Her first bf was a nerd who didn't like sports; they were compatible in areas other than sports (both being great people for starters as well as a shared love of photography and computer related things). A female friend of mine is a dive master so I rather doubt she has devoted so much of her time in that sport to attract a man, lol. Although I am sure she'd love to meet one who shared her passion for scuba... she's regularly dated men who had no interest in that sport.
 Sweet J-me Baby
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/17/2009 10:08:20 AM
I happen to love sports and outdoor activities...no pretending here! Why on earth would I pretend to enjoy something??? People are either going to like me for who I am or not. Their choice and if not, it is not no loss to me! I don't change who I am to impress anybody!

I have been contacted by men on here who say they love sports, but when it all comes out, they actually have very little interest. I had one guy contact me on here who thought we would be a perfect match, but eluded any conversations about hockey, baseball, or any outdoor activities. After chatting with him a few times, he said he did not understand the concept of spectator sports.

Good grief! I was not about to explain it to a 40+ man!! The passion is either there or it's not.

As a woman do you feel pressured to pretend in order to compete with other women who do?

I do not pretend nothing for anybody and definitely not to compete with other women. How ridiculous!!!

Men invented all those things mentioned earlier, not women. For that matter, can you think of a single sport or outdoor activity that women invented?

What lame reasoning!! Men also invented fire, but they sure don't do all the cooking!! Who cares who invented what???

shopping, having his hair done, sewing, scrap booking,

I hate shopping, I do like having my hair done (big deal!) and I do not scrapbook!! You still watch Little House on the Prairie, don't you? You have a complete misconception of women in this era!!!

packagedealx3
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2009 10:08:43 AM
I think you should be more worried about why you sound like a chauvanistic azz.

Women play hockey, basketball, football, volleyball, badminton, baseball, tennis, golf, track and field. All of which, btw, I played as a girl with the exception of hockey. There are female construction workers, cops, fireman, forest rangers. The reason that fewer women like what you are talking about is because they have fewer opportunities to experience these things when they are younger. The physical education system in public schools, at least in Texas, has gone to hell and a hand basket. My kids have not been taught to play most of the sports including archery that I learned in high school. If I was 20, I might have listed many of those things. If I had continued to play them, I might still list plenty of those things.

I like football, boxing, tennis and many other sports, however, I haven't participated in any of those sports in a long time because of my arthritis. If someone puts that on their profile, I suspect they are either shining it on or they would actually get out and do those things, at least long enough to bag the jock.

If I met a man who liked some of the things you indicated were "woman" things, I would expect that he was reared in a house with women, is comfortable enough in his own skin that he can admit to liking things he is not supposed to, and might be a hell of a lot more fun to be around than guys who are totally uninterested in things I appreciate.

And btw, rock climbing, hiking and camping are outdoor activities, not sports, and I don't believe that hiking and climbing were "invented" by anyone, nor was camping, people actually HAD to do them years ago ;)
 Ismene1
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/17/2009 10:09:10 AM
You are 100% right. There is overwhelming evidence that men and women are intrinsically different. They think differently. They act differently. They have different strengths and weaknesses. And they tend to like to do different things for fun.

Oh, please, please,please.....cite your sources........ There is, in fact, no such 'overwhelming evidence' for any of that-- not reliable, irrefutable, well established and incontrovertible scientific evidence.
 AlluringBlondeBabe
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/17/2009 10:09:19 AM
What's not to believe? you'd be surprised how many women are interested in things men are.

Why doubt? If you can't believe a woman first off..there can't be a beginning of a relationship. Don't cut off your nose to spite your face
I rest my case.

ABB = )
 suanam_90
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/17/2009 10:11:18 AM
Yep, OP quoted Dr. Phil, that explains allot.
------------------------------------------------------------- -
I agree!
 suanam_90
Msg: 19
Posted: 1/17/2009 10:14:04 AM
----
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yeah but that doesnt mean that we dont like sports ..My ex didnt liked them but I did.
 James Bottomtooth III
Msg: 20
Posted: 1/17/2009 10:15:11 AM

...If a man were to claim he liked women things--shopping, having his hair done, sewing, scrap booking, and so on. what would you think? ...

Someone has been reading my mail.
 I got fooled, yet again
Msg: 21
Posted: 1/17/2009 10:16:47 AM
Are you sure you are not Larry David? You sure look like him.

I go even further than you. I don't believe women like sex. I don't believe women like eating. They don't like jokes. (Mine, anyway.)

They don't like to go on expeditions to find the North Pole.

They don't like baby seal clubbing. (Except Alaska governor. (Reference: Please google: telephone interview, president of France, prank, Palin, seal.))

They don't like female mud-wrestling.

They don't like dog-fights.

They don't like gay-bashing. (I don't like that either, and I'm not a woman, not effeminate, not gay. I'm just a strange guy, I guess.)
They don't like casual sex with strangers on the streets.

They don't like beer.

They don't like stamp collecting.

They don't like the Three Stooges.

They don't like playing chicken on the highway with Ferraris.

They don't like to get into SUVs in groups and go into the woods for days with many a case of beer, with the express purpose to shoot Bambi.

They don't like to secretely hope that the Coyote will one day catch the Roadrunner.

They don't like to rip Barbie's head off her neck. (This one really baffles me. What's not to like about that?)

They don't like to put Ken and Barbie together in extremely embarrassing positions.

They don't like to play with Ken and Barbie and from time to time imagine a moment when Barbie lets out a fart.

They don't like men.

They don't like other women.

They have nothing to wear but a disdain for all men in their expressions.

-------------

VVVVVVVVVV (Below) " Or do we just all have penis envy?"

Relax... we, guys have just as much of a penis envy as you ladies do. Despite all evidence and despite all appearances.
 Ismene1
Msg: 22
Posted: 1/17/2009 10:21:46 AM

They don't like beer.

OMG I love beer. Why do you think I live in Austria????? Gosh, this thread is making me rethink my sexuality.....
 Red_Sasha34
Msg: 23
Posted: 1/17/2009 10:23:30 AM

Say she likes such things as fishing, rock climbing, football, camping, skydiving, sking, ... You know. She says she likes guy things.

So tell us what your really trying to say.. .. so if women like to do "guy thing" are we trying to become a man? Or do we just all have penis envy?

I have been hunting and fishing since I was 4 years old. Far before I knew what "guy' things were let a long what "girl" things where.. But men invented these things??? Don't you mean that men invented everything and women are just around for the ride?

Damn good thing we have had men like you around to tie our shoes.. our brains are just too small to comprehend those complicated tasks.

And I like beer too.. its not just a guy thing!!!
 Luna Winchester
Msg: 24
Posted: 1/17/2009 10:23:41 AM
You really should genderize (yes I made my own word I do that sometimes) anything. It's been done to me a lot mainly because guys can't get pass that I love horror stuff and that seems to bother them a lot. And just because a guy invented something doesn't make it a guy thing only.
 FunChick123
Msg: 25
Posted: 1/17/2009 10:24:26 AM

I think men, in general, are more judged by society in terms what they like and don't like. If they like something deemed as feminine, they are afraid of being labeled gay or a wuss. Women have this pressure too - but not nearly to the same extent. For this reason, I think that men are more likely to hide their 'feminine' likes than women are to hide their 'masculine' likes.

There may be some women that hype up their masculine likes to find a guy... just as there are some men who will embellish some of their likes to attract a woman.

At the age of 2, I was camping with my family. Is it a part of my life and how I grew up. Is it inconceivable that I'd LIKE it? That I'd WANT to continue doing this?
At the age of 8, I was fascinated with computers and was programming (lite stuff) for fun. I liked computers but I didn't yet like boys.
If a woman is home alone and turns on a hockey game... who is she trying to impress?

No... women and men can like the same things, regardless of who thought of it first.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Do you believe a woman when she says ...