Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Suggestions for new hobbies/interests      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 quiet_kev
Msg: 1
Suggestions for new hobbies/interestsPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I'm after some new interests that will stop me being bored and allow me to meet new people (in the real world that is).

Any energetic ideas will have to wait a few months - I'm starting to get fitter but I'm some way off taking up any sport more demanding than golf! So something relatively laid back will be more useful in the short term.

So peeps, get thinking and give me some suggestions. Surely you all have something you can recommend?!
 angeldelight19
Msg: 2
Suggestions for new hobbies/interests
Posted: 1/17/2009 10:16:30 AM
Well if you can swim, you could try Scuba-Diving.......it's also good for single people as once you've qualified, you can go on scuba-diving holidays and you will make loads of friends, because you can't dive alone the whole group will become your holiday pals....best thing I ever did.........although now I only dive where the water is a lovely 23 oC or more......none of this -3 oC in a gravel pit in Leicestershire anymore........
 HMSDebbie
Msg: 3
Posted: 1/17/2009 10:16:53 AM
A few years ago I read a book called "The Program" aimed at women and how they can "market" themselves to get a potential husband. There was one suggestion which a woman used which could work in reverse for you. The woman in question was a very good cook and approached the local college to see if they would let her do a men's cookery class - they were quite keen and she bagged a husband out of it.

I'm not suggesting you teach a "hair straightening for beginners" class but you could always join one that is more likely to have women students. Languages are usually quite popular - I did a Spanish class a few years ago (Hola! by the way) and even though there were women and men in the class, there were about 3 or 4 ladies to each man.

[Edit] Just re-read your post - I'm assuming it's mainly ladies you want to meet?
 Re-raise
Msg: 4
Posted: 1/17/2009 10:22:40 AM
Take up Poker, more and more pubs and clubs up and down the country are having poker nights. Where I am it is possible to play every night of the week, so I would imagine that it must be similar where you are. Stakes are usually moderately small and events can attract fairly large numbers.
It is easy to chat with people because you immediately have a common interest. The banter can be amusing as well (you have to give as good as you get) with very arguments.
And if you win it is an added bonus.
 KBGB
Msg: 5
Posted: 1/17/2009 10:23:11 AM
You seem a cerebral type of chap, why not join a writers group?
Or, not major exercise, a rambling club?
I am into gigs and live music, and make quite a few friends on bands' forums, also it can introduce you to someone to look out for or meet up with at upcoming concerts etc.
 PeterPan1967
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2009 10:28:58 AM
Hi quiet kev.

Well I don't like admitting my latest hobby to the ladies early in a relationship but here goes...............................I have recently progressed from computer wargaming to tabletop wargaming. This is like chess with painted figures and there is a group meeting once a week in a town close to me. There are also competitions throughout the country for my competitive streak.

I was also looking at the rambling association recently as I like walking but just need guidance and good scenery.

POF meets are also another good outlet as they are almost weekly in towns around me.

Hope there's something in that list for you.

Rob
 sammyv23
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/17/2009 10:30:52 AM
what type of people do you want to meet should really influence your hobby choice's
 Mannish Boy
Msg: 8
Posted: 1/17/2009 10:35:56 AM
have you tried nail clipping collecting?
 jebuspebus
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2009 10:36:55 AM
I'm sure there must be plenty of voluntary organizations in your area that would be grateful for your help. Why not pay a visit to your local community centre
 sammyv23
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/17/2009 10:40:40 AM

I'm sure there must be plenty of voluntary organizations in your area that would be grateful for your help. Why not pay a visit to your local community centre

He lives in Sheffield! Take up Salas, lots of yummy older ladies were there when i went once with my ex partner, even if your shite they still wanna dance!
 pumpkin16
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/17/2009 10:42:27 AM
Creative writing class is good, I've noticed these are often attended by more women than men and you could do some Mills and Boon type erotic writing to get your class mates hot under the collar, ripe for plucking and then suggest a drink at the local on the way home. They'll be putty in your hands.
 princesspinkpixie
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/17/2009 10:55:42 AM
Dance lessons are a good way of meeting new folk

Salsa is good!

What about becoming a volunteer helping the less abled bodied? Driving folks to hospital/day centre etc
 BlackLabFan
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/17/2009 11:13:58 AM
Where I live there's a group of men set up a meeting place in the local community centre, they organise days out to the races and such like. Maybe you should check and see if there's something similar at your community centre? Or I did a course on sign language that had a mixed group
 Thirst for Romance
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/17/2009 11:19:56 AM
Any energetic ideas will have to wait a few months - I'm starting to get fitter but I'm some way off taking up any sport more demanding than golf! So something relatively laid back will be more useful in the short term.

Buy yourself a Guitar! It's tough to start with, your fingers will hurt and it will try your patience, but it's all worth it when you play you can play your favourite songs for the first time You may not meet many people (unless you join a band) but it's something that will stay with you for the rest of your life, you never stop learning! So get strumming OP!
 oggers
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2009 11:22:55 AM
Why not join a social organisation such as Spice or similar ? They get involved in all kinds of activities, from rambling to tandem skydiving ... lots of girls go as well
* there are other similar organisations to Spice !
 ~Hams~
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2009 12:30:04 PM
I joined a gang as I was getting bored in the evenings but am having so much fun now
its unreal stealing cars,running protection rackets and we even had a shoot out with
the old bill last week and I lost a load of weight having to run away from the law so often.
Respect and word to your mother.........
 alan0866
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/17/2009 2:08:54 PM

although now I only dive where the water is a lovely 23 oC or more......none of this -3 oC in a gravel pit in Leicestershire anymore........

take no notice of angel she is a fair weather diver ! some of us real divers do it all year round in English waters.

angel is right it is a good friendly sport, i went diving in swanage in the summer i went there not knowing anyone and after two days had friends i can call up now if i want,

you could meet the a partner but mostly friends, the only set back is the cost, find a local club and have a try dive to see if you like it, there are two ways of doing this ether PADI school or a BSAC club if you want to know more mail me !

if you have an intrest at all in something, photography, painting, kniting ect there are clubs out there for all you just need to find them !
 Sharemylife
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/17/2009 3:30:52 PM
Learn to play Bridge. The group I joined at the start of this year is a friendly bunch - members take it in turns to host the game in each others house. If anything it will get you out of the house and out and about.
 trueblue57
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2009 3:54:59 PM
Try scale aircraft modeling...or you could get a life...
 quiet_kev
Msg: 20
Posted: 1/17/2009 4:22:06 PM
Well there's a few good suggestions there that I'll have to look into. The idea would be to meet new friends and hopefully some interesting single women along the way!

I must admit diving looks like it could be fun - assuming I'm fit enough to try it. Not sure about salsa - I love the idea but my unrivalled clumsiness could lead to some major embarrassment!
 Humbum
Msg: 21
Posted: 1/17/2009 6:27:44 PM
Squirrel shit spotting
 Dandy Highwayman
Msg: 22
Posted: 1/17/2009 6:50:43 PM

The idea would be to meet new friends and hopefully some interesting single women along the way!

I must admit diving looks like it could be fun - assuming I'm fit enough to try it. Not sure about salsa - I love the idea but my unrivalled clumsiness could lead to some major embarrassment!

Have you thought about dogging?
You dont need a woman you can just go and watch, surley has to be more fun than tabletop war games......wtf???
Diving is a great hobby you will even get wet, and may see some something wet and slippery but conversation can be garbled.

TheDandy
 fooked off Amy
Msg: 23
Posted: 1/17/2009 6:52:10 PM
Start your own Ann Summers parties, with the hope that they turn into full on orgies
 Jim...
Msg: 24
Posted: 1/17/2009 6:59:46 PM
I'd vote for Salsa, apparently there's always a shortage of men, try a beginners session. So what if you****up? I'd think you'd get more respect for being there... I imagine the ladies would confirm or deny that.

I'm gonna have a go shortly....
 maleshot
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2009 7:04:28 PM

Have you thought about dogging?
You dont need a woman you can just go and watch

Or you could just try bird watching

I know very obvious, but I couldn't resist !
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Suggestions for new hobbies/interests