Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Can you perm dyed hair.?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 willow
Msg: 1
Can you perm dyed hair.?Page 1 of 1    
I have been growing my hair and its about shoulder length now, only thing is it tends to curl when its wet or damp...I have an appointment with my hairdresser on Thursday to have it permed straight . Now I dye my hair and someone has told me that you cannot chemically straighten coloured hair..

I was going to put a dye on it tomorrow before I have it cut and straightened on Thursday,but I dont know if I should or not now, although when I asked my hairdresser she said it was ok..

I have googled it and some say yes and some say no..

So has anyone had their hair permed when they have had it permanently dyed and how did it turn out.?
 redangel1963
Msg: 2
Can you perm dyed hair.?
Posted: 1/25/2009 2:31:13 PM
i did have mine permed many years ago and also had a permanent colour on it the advise then was to have a gap between colouring and perming or vicer versa, so i wud check maybe with another local hairdresser or two and see wot they advice , good luck
 princesspinkpixie
Msg: 3
Can you perm dyed hair.?
Posted: 1/25/2009 2:31:46 PM
I used to have my hair permed years ago but my hairdresser said i had to leave it a week inbetween dying my hair and having it permed

I'm not sure of the rules are still the same

HTH
 Blueskies123
Msg: 4
Can you perm dyed hair.?
Posted: 1/25/2009 2:36:11 PM
I thought it was something like leave it a week as well..

I would say though that if you do do it go to one of thosw Sally Shops and get some 4x4 restructuring treatment (brillinat stuff!) - or if you can't find that then a deep protein treatment and use it before, after and also as soon as you can after you have it straightened as it will help with the dryness.

VVV I'd take that advice I think...or..unless you can arrange to have the hairdresser do it for you a couple of weeks later?
 pumpkin16
Msg: 5
Can you perm dyed hair.?
Posted: 1/25/2009 2:38:57 PM
Don't do it! If you are having your hair chemically straightened don't dye it before or after for at least 2-3 weeks. My daughter has her hair chemically straightened every 6 months and we did do a test once on a strand and it went horribly wrong, so glad we didn't dye it and in a way very relieved as it put her off dying it and I didn't want her to anyway.
 -LIL-
Msg: 6
Can you perm dyed hair.?
Posted: 1/25/2009 2:40:32 PM
Yes you can chemically straighten tinted/coloured hair - it will 'strip'/fade the colour or lighten it depending what shade it is - and the chemicals will damage the hair further. You are best colouring it again a week after the straightening & hopefully the hairdresser will use a quality product suitable for chemically treated hair.

Willow has it been explained to you that the wave/curl will only be relaxed - your hair wont naturally dry straight like the effect when you use straighteners or blow dry it.

To be honest - I think it's just a money making scheme & only worth it if your hair is burst mattress styleee otherwise you'll still have to staighten it anyway
 SJxx
Msg: 7
Can you perm dyed hair.?
Posted: 1/25/2009 2:42:04 PM
you can certainly perm coloured hair as long as its not bleached. perms come in two varieties, normal hair and coloured hair. and you can also put on a pre-perm conditioner just before to even out your hairs porosity. i spent ten years doing this to my hair and i hardly went bald at all! i jest of course. just make sure you use the correct products and all should be fine
xxx
 willow
Msg: 8
Can you perm dyed hair.?
Posted: 1/25/2009 2:49:37 PM
^^ I was hoping you were around LiLy.^^

My hair looks like that ^ when its wet after I have washed it, and tends to stay that way till I straighten it after its dried.

I know I will still have to straighten it after I have it done, but was hoping it would stay flat when it gets a bit damp with sweating etc..Go to the gym and the bloody thing naturally curls when I sweat .

I am going to a big party on the 7th Feb and wanted it to stay straight all night and not rushing to the loo every 5 mins to try and fight with the bloody thing...And I dont really want to have it cut in a short style after growing it for the past 4 months..

Maybe best leaving the colour till after the party.
 beetlebabe40
Msg: 9
Can you perm dyed hair.?
Posted: 1/25/2009 2:51:51 PM
DO NOT COLOUR YOUR HAIR BEFORE THE PERM/ STRAIGHTENER....!!!!! If you do it before at the worst your hair will break off at the best it will may go a really nasty colour as perms strip colour. Which will mean you will have to reapply the colour a week or two later putting your poor hair through three chemical processes over a short period rather than just two!

You really must speak to your hairdresser it all depends on the courseness of your hair and its porosity levels and what brand of colour you use some of them have traces of metal deposits especially henna or anything made by Polly Colour which can have an adverse reaction to the perm lotion or straightening lotion your hairdresser uses as in make your hair break . If the hairdresser uses just standard European perm lotion to straighten you should have no problems if you really must colour your hair do it at least a week after you have the straightener done as all the chemicals should be washed out by then and any reaction with the colour should be minimal...

However if they are going to use products developed for Black hair or ones that are very strong (if you have very course or difficult to style hair) you have to be much more careful...

Always seek professional advice if in doubt PM me and I will be happy to advise in case you were wondering I have been a hairdresser in a former life fully qualified who still does friends and family.... Good Luck
 willow
Msg: 10
Can you perm dyed hair.?
Posted: 1/25/2009 3:03:51 PM
^^ I cant mail you classicbabe as your restrictions wont allow me.^^

Its a Mahogany permanent colour I usually apply, but have never had my hair permed since dying my hair..
 gemini_lady_uk
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Can you perm dyed hair.?
Posted: 1/25/2009 3:08:00 PM
As others have said, you can dye permed hair or perm most dyed hair but perming will strip some of the colour. Wait until after your hair has been permed and conditioned a couple of times. Not relevant to you since you have dark hair but a warning for others - According to my hairdresser you can NEVER perm hair which has been treated with 'SUN IN', for some reason there is a chemical reaction that makes your hair melt. She knows from experience (luckily she realised quickly something was wrong so didn't do much damage to her customers hair). I used to use it and have to wait a year for it to grow out before I get a perm.

There are now some pretty good non-permenant dyes that might do what you want and these are harmeless before or after perming, some I believe will even cover grey hair. You can also use a permenant dye over the top of these but they wash out after several washes so won't be a problem anyway.
 pumpkin16
Msg: 12
Can you perm dyed hair.?
Posted: 1/25/2009 3:12:29 PM

Willow has it been explained to you that the wave/curl will only be relaxed - your hair wont naturally dry straight like the effect when you use straighteners or blow dry it.

To be honest - I think it's just a money making scheme & only worth it if your hair is burst mattress styleee otherwise you'll still have to staighten it anyway

Why can't they use relaxers that are used for afro hair on caucasian hair why perm it straight? My daughter has natural spirally hair (like Mel B scary spice type) and she has it chemically relaxed and it is as straight you like without any straighteners or products. It's beautifully shiny and soft too. Makes me sick actually.

She has the no lye relaxer for difficult to straighten hair and it works a treat. She's been having it done for years now and it's still gorgeous as ever. Obviously one would imagine it is to do with texture, but the texture of her hair is as a caucasian kind of texture ie soft and fine, not more coarse and brittle like 100% afro hair is prone to be.
 willow
Msg: 13
Can you perm dyed hair.?
Posted: 1/25/2009 3:21:11 PM

Why can't they use relaxers that are used for afro hair on caucasian hair why perm it straight? My daughter has natural spirally hair (like Mel B scary spice type) and she has it chemically relaxed and it is as straight you like without any straighteners or products. It's beautifully shiny and soft too. Makes me sick actually

I wondered about that to, have seen Naomi Campbell's hair when it is straight and its lovely.
 Glenda01
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Can you perm dyed hair.?
Posted: 1/25/2009 4:39:23 PM
Just let it be natural and enjoy.

Hair this long may not be posted.
Hair this colour may not be dyed.
 -LIL-
Msg: 15
Can you perm dyed hair.?
Posted: 1/25/2009 4:57:40 PM

Why can't they use relaxers that are used for afro hair on caucasian hair why perm it straight?

Firstly - it's a bit confusing calling it "perming it straight" ... the word 'perm' is short for permanent wave, so is synonymonous with curls. It's the use of 'curlers' that make the hair wavy or curly ... it should be called chemical straightening or relaxing.

The same chemicals are used for straightening as 'perming' - however, some chemical straightening products contain a far more concentrated form of the chemicals - ones for afro carribean for example, as it's far more stronger than caucasion hair.

Willow, what brand hair colour do you use, is it to cover grey (no offence lol!) and do you take it right to the ends each time or just touch up your regrowth?

Not relevant to you since you have dark hair but a warning for others - According to my hairdresser you can NEVER perm hair which has been treated with 'SUN IN', for some reason there is a chemical reaction that makes your hair melt.

Your hairdresser doesn't know what she's talking about ... it's not the product - it's because the hair has been so bleached it's lost all it's elasticity. Any bleach can do this - not just 'Sun in' ... in fact, in hot countries, if the persons hair is 'naturaly' bleached just by the sun, it can be too damaged to survive any chemical treatments too. Is she a beauty school drop out lol
 ShinyFallingStarr
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Can you perm dyed hair.?
Posted: 1/26/2009 12:44:38 AM
Leave a gap of 3-6 weeks depending on how porous/rough your hair is... if it is soft, less time... if it is rough, more time... avoid bleaching it if you can becaus it can go a bit funny...
 HMSDebbie
Msg: 17
Can you perm dyed hair.?
Posted: 1/26/2009 4:34:58 AM
Willow, I have my hair chemically straightened and dyed and it's fine to do both. The only thing is the straightening process does tend to strip the colour a bit so I tend to have my straightening done first (I'm having it done on 10 February in fact) then the re-colouring done a month after.

Out of interest, which straightening product do you use? I buy the New Era 2000 stuff (it's an acid straightener) from the US and then my hairdresser does it as a favour - her daughter is mixed race so she's used to the process. I'd never go to one of the larger salons as they charge about £125 and I only pay £35 for mine

PS The profile picture to the left was taken on a day I'd had my hair straightened - the acid straightener leaves my hair in better condition than it is before it's done.
 angeldelight19
Msg: 18
Can you perm dyed hair.?
Posted: 1/26/2009 5:06:46 AM
Willow, I chemically straighten my hair, (I'm an ex hairdresser so I can do it myself) and I have it coloured, leave at least 2 weeks in between the processes, do the straightner first as it will strip any colour from your hair........... then have it coloured.

A chemical straightner is sort of a perm in reverse, in a perm you put curlers in then apply the lotion, with a straightner you put the solution on and then you continually comb it through until there is no kinks left .........I do mine about twice a year before I go on holiday as my hair is frizzy.....and yes it's worth it.

willow
Msg: 19
Can you perm dyed hair.?
Posted: 1/26/2009 5:30:15 AM
Angel, my hair is just a bit longer then yours is..I usually dye my own at home about once every couple of months or so..Decided to leave the colouring till a couple of weeks after I have it straightened, dont want to pay to have it done only to undo all the work by colouring it to soon after..
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Can you perm dyed hair.?