Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > And the next Janis Joplin is???or will there ever be another one?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Windsorite1
Msg: 1
And the next Janis Joplin is???or will there ever be another one?Page 1 of 1    
Okay people I figure these days the majority of female singers are hip hop and r&b. You got singers like... Britney Spears, Beyonce, Knowles, Christina Aguilera, Rianna, Madonna, Cher (if she still makes music) and others....but it there anyone else like Janis??? and will there ever be another Janis Joplin the way music is these days?
 oscarz05
Msg: 2
view profile
History
And the next Janis Joplin is???or will there ever be another one?
Posted: 2/3/2009 2:02:45 PM
never saw a better show than act when singing for her people. when she moved on to showbiz her thing sagged some but as a 17 year old, seeing her with Big Brother at a small theater on Haight Street, I have to say, she was the single best show I've ever seen.
 Luna Winchester
Msg: 3
Posted: 2/3/2009 2:09:08 PM
Janis was one of a kind. I don't think there will be anyone who will ever come close especially since most female singers aren't singing the same type of music she sang. But there are a few female singers in the metal scene which is not common. Honestly I am not a fan of female voices. I've only liked Janis & Madonna.
 blues49
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2009 5:51:13 PM
Most reminiscent I've seen Is Grace Potter . I don't know if she'll ever get the backing/notoriety it would take , especially as many acts out there now as compared to when Janis landed , but she can bring it .
 Windsorite1
Msg: 5
Posted: 2/3/2009 6:10:30 PM
Why do people want this thread deleted. It is under music catagory
 _Icon_
Msg: 6
Posted: 2/3/2009 7:09:19 PM
There will never be another Janis.

Listen to Carolyn Wonderland though, girl has some pipes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaoN0lM3ZTE
 EvilLolli
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2009 7:39:22 PM
Beth Hart. Sings mostly in the "fem-rock" type scene but style and vocally is very close. JMO
 Bellydanza
Msg: 8
Posted: 2/3/2009 7:52:54 PM
What happened to Joss Stone. She was being touted as Janis Like?
 The Artful Codger
Msg: 9
view profile
History
And the next Janis Joplin is?
Posted: 2/4/2009 12:59:51 AM
I think that Winehouse girl stands a pretty good chance of being found dead of an overdose before she's 28, but that's probably off topic.
There will never be another Janis.

Listen to Carolyn Wonderland though, girl has some pipes.
Agreed.
Good tip, good share...thanks.

Found this Joplin channeler while checking out that link...Angela Coon fronting Suckerpunch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc3vBm1XiKM

OT: Melissa Etheridge reminds me of Janis sometimes.
 tallmat1972
Msg: 10
Posted: 2/4/2009 3:48:42 AM
ETHERIDGE COMPARED TO JANIS???????

KIDDING, RIGHT??? HELL, PASS THE PIPE!!!

NEVER WILL BE ANOTHER JANIS JOPLIN, PERIOD!

NEXT THREAD!
 WindF
Msg: 11
Posted: 2/4/2009 6:44:54 AM
I believe Joss Stone is one of the greats and she really ruled when she did do a Janis Joplin song with Melissa Etheridge at a awards show.
 good guitar player
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2009 11:12:10 AM
NO ....records companies will not give a contract to a person as raw and edgy. Never liked Janis myself, more an grace slick airplane fan, so she is overated a bit to me, but she has a style and you know her once you hear her,unlike today were everyone sounds the same.

All the people who are being marketed as the next Janis are a lot more slick in terms of not being as earthy or pro tool tools (learn to play it right not fix it it's called rehersing). After she dumped BBATHC the suits tried to slick her up a bit as well. so NEVER Another
 _Icon_
Msg: 13
Posted: 2/4/2009 11:16:32 AM
Codger, glad you like Carolyn. She is a Texas legend, her live show is not to be missed.

Not only does that huge voice come out of this tiny girl, but you can see from the vid that she really wails on that guitar. She also plays the trumpet!

I love her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7Ql6lY1MZw
 The Artful Codger
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2009 12:31:35 AM

Melissa Etheridge reminds me of Janis sometimes.
No kidding. No pipe. I hear similar salt and commitment in both voices.

She also plays the trumpet!

I love her.
Of course you do, lol.
 Snapington
Msg: 15
Posted: 2/5/2009 1:05:29 PM
And the next Janis Joplin is at your karaoke night screeching a bad version of Bobby Magee at least in her own mind she is. I was always more partial to good singers like Mama Cass over screamers like Janis.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > And the next Janis Joplin is???or will there ever be another one?