Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Is a DJ a musician?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 fretboy80
Msg: 1
Is a DJ a musician?Page 1 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Is a DJ a real muso simply bcos they play music? take samples of others and pass it off as their own?
You can take a Sam Cooke album, you can take Sam Cooke's sweat and turn it into something else cos you can go vicka vicka vicka. Whoa, how talented.
Is it just me or are these people thiefs of music?
I guess I am a pureist.
I think that if you cannot play any instruments then you are talentless (musically) and you will only ever be a mediocre hack, a step down from a covers band.
 memyselfandus
Msg: 2
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 2/8/2009 7:16:33 AM
I've never connected a DJ to being a musician.???..maybe some DJ's are also musicians..???..but then again who cares.
 fretboy80
Msg: 3
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 2/8/2009 7:25:11 AM
DJs seem to care.
Musicians seem to care that DJs sample other peoples sweat and pass it on as their own.

Record player players.
 Mr. Blblblbl
Msg: 4
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 2/8/2009 7:54:43 AM

I think that if you cannot play any instruments then you are talentless (musically) and you will only ever be a mediocre hack, a step down from a covers band.

What about vocalists?

But no, I don't think DJ's are musicians. They're entertainers.
 memyselfandus
Msg: 5
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 2/8/2009 8:13:14 AM
or Songwriters??

Besides you can't just take a song and say vicka vicka vicka and it is yours....there are rights to songs and if a musician wants to let a DJ use one of their songs I suppose that's their business. It's called royalties.

However I'm not sure that I've heard of any DJ trying to claim rights to a song.
 Snapington
Msg: 6
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 2/8/2009 11:56:57 AM
A DJ is not a musician jeez a drummer barely is.
 Its_just_Geoff
Msg: 7
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 2/8/2009 5:11:09 PM
IMHO a DJ is a technician, not a musician. YMMV.
 tallmat1972
Msg: 8
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 2/8/2009 10:14:43 PM
No, a DJ is NOT a musician.

On the other hand, a drummer is a musician. Some of the very best are better musicians than most guitarists and lead singers.
 Diva77
Msg: 9
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 2/8/2009 10:28:14 PM
I think there are SOME Dj's who are musicians. Some mix their own music, some compose their own music. But most as stated earlier are just entertainers who love music.
 decaturisgreater
Msg: 10
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 2/8/2009 10:43:59 PM
Some are definitely musicians - Fatboy Slim, DJ Dangermouse, Justice ... but they're not just disc jockeys. They're also entertainers/artists, and DJ'ing is the medium for their music. It's different than traditional instruments as it can be as simple as pressing play on your laptop (cough, cough, Girl Talk, cough) or as complex as cross fading, beat matching, mixing, queuing while synchronizing to video and smoking a cigarette (Fatboy Slim).
 Its_just_Geoff
Msg: 11
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 2/9/2009 4:24:36 AM
Dang, I realized I was dead wrong above... although I believe MOST DJ's are just technicians still, some really are musicians.

Go search out Medeski Martin and Wood's CD called Combustication. You can easily find short samples on Amazon. The 1st song (Sugar Craft) features DJ Logic doing some amazingly musical off the wall stuff. He's definitely creating music, not just going "wiki wiki wiki".
 Brutus-HFX
Msg: 12
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 2/9/2009 4:34:25 AM
A DJ can be a musician if they mix and lay down beats.

But... if they just throw on a record and just sit there enjoying their drink... nah.
 _Icon_
Msg: 13
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 2/9/2009 9:12:58 AM
The word musician is thrown around pretty loosely. I've studied classical theory since I was a child, I've played with some guitar players that weren't "musicians" in the classical sense.

Nothing is more frustrating than working with musicians that can't read music.
 Woodn88s
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 2/9/2009 9:34:13 AM

I think there are SOME Dj's who are musicians. Some mix their own music, some compose their own music. But most as stated earlier are just entertainers who love music.

I have to disagree, because they mix their own music makes them an arranger or producer not a musician.
I like to think in terms of, "If you can make music with no electricity on" Then you're probably a musician.

At best some of these dj's might be called pecussionists if anything, but still, turn off the electric and see if they can entertain.
 Diva77
Msg: 15
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 2/9/2009 9:49:03 AM
"If you can make music with no electricity on" then you're probably a musician.

So you're saying that because I plug in my piano and organ I'm most likely not a musician? What about those who play electric guitars? Electric violins? Keyboards?

And to the earlier post about people who don't read music, some of the best musicians I have encountered have played by ear.
 _Icon_
Msg: 16
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 2/9/2009 9:59:45 AM
No, that's not at all what he is saying. Sheesh.
 Woodn88s
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 2/9/2009 10:07:10 AM

No, that's not at all what he is saying. Sheesh.

thanks iconoclast.............................You got my drift
 Woodn88s
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 2/9/2009 10:19:08 AM

And to the earlier post about people who don't read music, some of the best musicians I have encountered have played by ear.

this is a tough one but I'm going to give it a shot.
I also know amazing musicians that don't read. in fact I was one of them until, at the age of 26 I was thrown into an audition for a fabulous gig. There were over 30 people after that gig, all were great players and all could have gotten and done the gig.
But at that level the ability to speak the same musical language was important.
When 7 members of a band are learning tunes at an amazing pace and are able to communicate using the same language, it is important to be able to speak that language.

I did not get that gig because I couldn't speak the language. Yeah I could play anything they could throw at me but that wasn't enough

The next week I was studying with a great teacher and spent 11 yrs. doing so.
Today I work with great musicians sometimes that can not understand a damn thing they playing.
It is incredibly frustrating to have an intelligent conversation with them about music.
Tell a guitar player Don't flat the 9 in that dominant chord..........and then take 10 minutes at a rehearsal to try and help him find it, then you'll understand why speaking the same language is important

But yes..............there are great musicians that don't read....
 Woodn88s
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 2/9/2009 10:37:20 AM

So you're saying that because I plug in my piano and organ I'm most likely not a musician? What about those who play electric guitars? Electric violins? Keyboards?

diva77..................let me just say that I thought your reply was incredibly rediculous, but I'm going to try and explain it for you.
Let's say I asked you to play your fav. song for me but there was only an acoustic piano in the room..................could you play it?..............yes

let's say I asked some elec. guitar player to play his fav. tune for me but all we had was an acoustic guitar, could he play it ..................yes

are you getting my drift here?

Let's ask DJ Poundsand to play his best work for me, but turn off the electricity in a room full of every musical instrument known to man..............could he play it.........no

need I say more?
 Diva77
Msg: 20
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 2/9/2009 11:47:24 AM
I said SOME dj's are musicians. I've known a few over the years who DO write their own music and do play their own instruments. There wasn't a need for your second post... the way you worded your statement, could have been interpreted in many ways. And the only thing "ridiculous" about these posts, is that you felt you needed to defend yourself again... I understood what you were saying, just wanted to point out that music can be created in different forms using different instruments and technology.
 Brutus-HFX
Msg: 21
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 2/9/2009 1:02:02 PM

Nothing is more frustrating than working with musicians that can't read music.

You'd hate working with me then. I don't understand how I learned to play upright bass without knowing any form of musical notation. I play a few instruments... and cant read a single note.
 rickxyz
Msg: 22
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 2/9/2009 1:27:45 PM
It doesn't matter, they get laid! Actually they are frustrated musicians, where their only contribution("licks") can be EQ, mashing, scratching,cutting or selecting....kind of like playing guitar while wearing a straightjacket....
 tallmat1972
Msg: 23
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 2/9/2009 2:04:11 PM
The whole thing about musicians who can't read music cracks me up.

I have a friend I work with who is into Bluegrass/country music pretty heavily. So much into it he hosts his own "bluegrass jam" every wednesday night from 6pm-midnight. About 12-20 people show up every week, in his tiny 2 bedroom 1 bathroom 1,500 square foot house. The front room is packed with violin, mandolin, acouustic guitars, stand up bass, steel guitars and harmonicas. I go about twice a month. I can't play anything if my life depended on it. I also can't read a lick of music notes. BUT, I can tell when someone is off key, or out of tune. And I'm not saying just here and there. I have an excellent ear for it. It even makes some of the players upset. When they show up and try to use an electric tuner before they start, Doug(my friend who hosts) tells them to strum and let me tell them. Some do, some don't. But it's just funny to see the looks on their faces when they think they are in tune and try to play. I shake my finger and say "nope, better tune it again". It's hilarious.

But I agree that the BEST musicians in time never could read music. Elvis, Johnny Cash, Marilyn Monroe, Judy Garland, Ella Fitzgerald, even Jimi Hendrix. Long long list.
 Woodn88s
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 2/9/2009 2:28:25 PM

You'd hate working with me then. I don't understand how I learned to play upright bass without knowing any form of musical notation. I play a few instruments... and cant read a single note.

Well Brutus, don't bet on it. probably 90% of the people I work with can't read.
My point is that being able to read opens more doors and allows for more avenues to finding work when you make your living doing it..............yes there are exceptions and a lot of them.

For the last time............I do not mean to put down anyone who can not read.
I learned to read because it helped me learn and I had a thirst for knowledge.
My desire to learn to read led me to lots of great gigs that I would not have gotten if I could not have read.

And for Diva77, I have absolutely no desire or need to Defend my position, what I believe is what I believe. Intelligent debate is another thing and I welcome it.

I figured this was going to open up a big pile of Sh*t.
 _Icon_
Msg: 25
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 2/9/2009 5:46:05 PM
Oh good grief. I said it was frustrating, not impossible.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Is a DJ a musician?