Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > moved to tears      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 notchuraverage1
Msg: 1
moved to tears Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I LOVE music and I have been deeply moved by music many times and many genres too. But 3 days ago I experienced a musical moment like never before while attending a funeral service at the historical Trinity Church in Boston. Funny thing is I'm not religious nor am I a fan of religious music. I'd never heard of Faure until Saturday. But the Trinity Choir singing Faure's Paradisium from Requiem (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75jnVD6lEaI&feature=related) was so moving that tears streamed down my face. (I was not close to the deceased.) I now have the link above saved on my computer and have played it countless times. The whole experience has got me to wondering if it was the power of the music alone or ... spirit perhaps? Can anyone relate? Have you ever been moved to tears by music and if so what?
 Just Some Fellow
Msg: 2
moved to tears
Posted: 2/17/2009 5:44:47 PM
Anything by Celine Dion makes me cry, but probably not for the reason you mention.
 Souldude
Msg: 3
moved to tears
Posted: 2/17/2009 11:58:47 PM
Music inspires me to write. I can't explain why, but I write better when I am listening to music.
 moonbeamlover
Msg: 4
moved to tears
Posted: 2/18/2009 12:44:08 AM
Music is intensely moving to me. There are many songs that make me feel either amazingly high, hauntingly sad, peaceful, fulfilled, joyous....

when I sit and play the piano I don't even play consciously, it just flows... depending on the day, the mood and what's going on.

I can most definitely relate OP. I can't even begin to say what moves me; as so many different things do, in different circumstances.

One really intense example was one day I was really buried and decided to sit down and play before my first client meeting. It was early spring and my windows were open and I started to play, and this bird started singing along with the piano. I stopped and so did he. So I started again; and so did he. I switched the tone of the song to see what he would do, and his song changed completely as my playing did. I literally couldn't stop. I kept playing, he kept changing with me; we had an almost 90 minute duet that early spring day; and the second I finally stopped he stopped immediately, gave me one last look and flew away.

I felt like I had a hug from God; it was intensely moving; and very surreal. Doing a duet with a songbird from nature complete with improv was well, amazing. I was most definitely moved to tears.
 shmodzilla
Msg: 5
moved to tears
Posted: 2/18/2009 6:19:43 AM
The funeral bagpipe music gets me, dang things anyway.
 katzmeow13
Msg: 6
moved to tears
Posted: 2/18/2009 7:01:08 AM
It has happened to me too... and I was thinking about it just the other day.
Years ago, my bf at the time, had me listen to Leonard Cohen... the last track on his latest cd at the time...cd-the miracle... track-tacoma trailer
it is an instrumental piece... so you can't even say it was the lyrics that touched me, but I was literally weaping by the end, and can still get teary eyed listening to it.
The other day... I was listening to... this is wierd... from the 'shrek' soundtrack 'allelulia' and my bf said it was a sad song... when I realized it wasn't the lyrics that made me like it or even made me teary... it's almost like a vibration
but hey that makes me sound a little like a freak..lol
just a thought:)
 WindRoper
Msg: 7
moved to tears
Posted: 2/18/2009 8:49:03 AM
Many songs have moved me to tears for various reasons at various points in my life. But one song that moved me without relating to a particular event or person in my life was "Hello God" by Dolly Parton. The first time I heard it was when she sang it at an awards show some years back. It never got much airplay... I suspect because it questioned whether Christianity and the USA are all God cares about and some folks found that offensive in the wake of 9-11. Personally I found the lyrics to be quite profound.
 notchuraverage1
Msg: 8
moved to tears
Posted: 2/18/2009 3:50:49 PM
Moonbeamlover (great name by the way) that story of you and that bird is awe inspiring. Thank you.

Agreed Shmodzilla, funeral bagpipes and taps will pretty much do me in every time too. Great example. And I agree that there is something about Leonard Cohen's music isn't there, Katzmeow? I will check out the song you referenced. His Blue Valentine always makes me sigh.
 Infinity Mine
Msg: 9
moved to tears
Posted: 2/19/2009 11:13:35 AM
Many times I've been at a concert...just close my eyes and let the music hit me....I've felt the odd tear in those situations.....

The whole experience has got me to wondering if it was the power of the music alone or ... spirit perhaps?

Both...music & spirit are one in the same...tears are just a spiritual release....it's your way of giving feedback to the musician....like you're having a conversation....without words.....

it's almost like a vibration
but hey that makes me sound a little like a freak..lol
just a thought:)

No way...music IS vibration...you know if you open yourself up enough...you can start to notice the subtle differences in the vibrations of different notes....hey...here's a thought....you know how some people have their favorite keys they like to play in? Maybe it's because those vibrations are in harmony with the vibrations of their own energies....perhaps in those moments you're move to tears...you're just in complete synch with the music.....

Here's an awsome lecture....quite moving in it's own right....

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/evelyn_glennie_shows_how_to_listen.html
 notchuraverage1
Msg: 10
moved to tears
Posted: 2/19/2009 11:59:50 AM
^^^^Very cool idea about personalized vibrations my young musical friend. Made me think of the Beachboys tune about keeping those "loving good vibrations happening." (I think that's how it goes, right? Never been a big BB's fan.) I adore a good lecture, but an awesome one, 'ey? I'm on it! Will let you know. ..
 Brutus-HFX
Msg: 11
moved to tears
Posted: 2/19/2009 4:44:48 PM
The King Blues - What if Punk Never Happened

Man. Makes ya think. I dont know where I would be if it weren't for punk rock. Its basically my life.
 4the4ems
Msg: 12
moved to tears
Posted: 2/20/2009 7:26:16 AM
I have bad eyesight. Very very very bad without glasses.

I had a date that I trusted very much at a Bad Company concert. He held my glasses the whole time and I wore his dark shades, so could see nothing. Just felt the music....

It was beautiful to me to be able to trust someone like that and it was an amazing experience to use only that one sense......

Yeah I cried, laughed, sang off key, and had one of the most amazing nights of my life.
 notchuraverage1
Msg: 13
moved to tears
Posted: 2/20/2009 8:19:27 AM
Dear poster in message 9, thank you for the link to that lecture. It does indeed support your point about vibrations. It was mind blowing to learn that this musical giant is deaf!!!! The lecture is long and surely intended for the serious musician but it was indeed inspiring and relevant to this post.
 Diva77
Msg: 14
moved to tears
Posted: 2/20/2009 1:13:51 PM
Day by Day, is a hymn that was sung at my grandmothers funeral. I performed it again years later at my aunt's funeral and six months later at my uncle's funeral. It's become kind of an anthem for the family, and it's an emotional experience every time I hear the melody. I get to play it again on Sunday for their memorial (dedication) service. I'll have plenty of tissues with me.
 Infinity Mine
Msg: 15
moved to tears
Posted: 2/20/2009 1:48:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFJ59QUkbo0

The tune I want played at my funeral....very ethereal...very beautiful and moving....
I believe this is the live version...played by one guy...using loopers & a chapman stick...
 X_Nine
Msg: 16
view profile
History
moved to tears
Posted: 2/21/2009 8:40:11 AM
Vast. Everytime I've gone through being laid off or a break up or just through hard times, I've listened to Vast's catalog.

There's a few other artists/bands that can make me cry, but Vast is... just... powerful. Hits my soul (if there's such a thing) and just makes me feel vulnerable.
 TakingItSlow66
Msg: 17
moved to tears
Posted: 2/21/2009 8:09:55 PM
Ahhh. Natalie Merchant. How many nights did I fall asleep listening to you?

Too many times to count I'm sure.
 dipset17
Msg: 18
view profile
History
moved to tears
Posted: 2/22/2009 1:04:11 AM
try listening to "God Moving Over the Face of the Waters" by Moby.

unbelievably powerful song that should get you feelin' ready to cry, or perhaps at least give you goosebumps.

it's also the song used to conclude one of the best movies of the past 20 years, Heat (1995).
 Bellydanza
Msg: 19
moved to tears
Posted: 2/22/2009 7:10:29 AM
Music by Lisa Gerrard is always moving and haunting, has religious overtones to it. She does a lot of movie soundtracks, Man on Fire, Gladiator, Whale Rider....stirs my soul hearing her voice.
 _Icon_
Msg: 20
moved to tears
Posted: 2/22/2009 9:41:10 AM
Art and Music is supposed to move you. Thats why all the rules are subjective.

I dont know where I would be if it weren't for punk rock. Its basically my life.

Et tu, Brute?
 notchuraverage1
Msg: 21
moved to tears
Posted: 2/22/2009 5:21:04 PM
Dipset, that song is beautiful. Thank you.
 HoustonKJ
Msg: 22
view profile
History
moved to tears
Posted: 2/22/2009 5:33:57 PM
Metallica - One, the story of a solider losing all his limbs and senses
 dipset17
Msg: 23
view profile
History
moved to tears
Posted: 2/22/2009 10:18:22 PM
i'm glad you were moved by that song---i had a feeling you'd respond after listening to it.

i actually have included that song in my will; for when i die, i'd like it played at my funeral.

kinda melancholy to think of such a thing to do, but it touched me in such a unique way from the first time i heard it.
 Diva77
Msg: 24
moved to tears
Posted: 2/22/2009 10:20:04 PM
Dante's Prayer - Lorreena McKennitt. Has helped me through some dark times, I want that played at my funeral.
 messiahcorps
Msg: 25
view profile
History
moved to tears
Posted: 2/23/2009 10:02:59 AM
Anything by Nickleback makes me cry. Mostly because of how bad it sucks, yet they're popular.

But seriously, Massive Attack - Teardrop has moved me to tears. Could've been due to my separation/divorce that occurred at the same time I learned of it, but many tracks have honestly been capable of moving me to tears. Amazing Grace can make me cry too, when sung accapella by someone who's really feeling it.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > moved to tears