Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Men over sixty - seem to like women in their own age bracket.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 professora
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Men over sixty - seem to like women in their own age bracket.Page 1 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
I have had the most interesting last 6 months.

I am 62 and find that many men in my age bracket seem to finally prefer women more or less their same age?

Is anyone else finding this true?
 SuchARealLady00
Msg: 2
Men over sixty - seem to like women in their own age bracket.
Posted: 2/22/2009 4:39:19 PM
I dated down the age scale for a while and found a lot of dithery men who didn't seem to know WHAT they wanted. Decided to chance going older and still found dithery men but also found men who appreciated older women.

Most common comment from them.....you know what you want and you aren't afraid to ask for it.

Maybe the older men listen to input from their adult children!

SARL
 Sincerelady5
Msg: 3
Posted: 2/22/2009 5:03:24 PM
I like to date men in my own age bracket!
Many men my age group are attracted to younger women
and have age limits on their profiles!
However, many younger women do not want old men in their 50 or 60's !
Especially, if they are seeking a serious relationship.
I do not think Older men Finally prefer their own age mate as you say.
May be a very small % do.laugh:
 mz taken
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2009 6:15:38 PM
sure, most likely these men have come to the realization that if they date a much younger woman they may not be able to "keep up" in all aspects, not just sexual. they may have noticed (finally) that there needs to be some sense of commonality to sustain a bond, too.

I see that your thread may be gone before you read these responses. lol
 bob2013
Msg: 5
Posted: 2/22/2009 6:36:52 PM
Sorry sincerelady, I am dating a lady younger by 12 years, it took some time for me to get past the age thing. Prior to that all women I dated were withinh 5 years either way. I agree some guys go through a phase of dating younger until they discover a lack of commonalities and like minded thinking. Many of the guys I talk to my own age on here are just fine dating in their own age bracket and in fact prefer it. Bob
 SherTenn
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2009 9:42:54 PM
Dunno about most men.. but for me it's a matter of commonality and maturity..

* we know the same referents.. 'hey kids, what time is it..?'
* we have sorta similar life experiences.. you know where you were when JFK was shot..
* we've been there, done that..

And.. we both know what it is to be alone..

Jim
 pazoozoo
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2009 9:53:49 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by your age bracket. I'm almost 61 and the men I date are anywhere from 10 yrs. younger to 18 yrs. older.

I've heard for years how mature men don't really want to date mature women, but I and my gfs seem to have no problem.

I do know some mature guys who are dating, or have married or become seriously involved with much younger women, and they seem happy.

Everyone is entitled to their own preference.
 Ron9
Msg: 8
Posted: 2/22/2009 10:36:09 PM
For me ..... as long as the gal is not too young. That for me would be very much younger than my ex wife - she just turned 49 ..... it is not so much the age ......

I just flat have to like her looks. (you shallow-ites can save it - attraction is a big deal to me).

Musts for me ....

- like her looks
- good person - not just towards me - towards everyone (that means no racist among other things)
 serenityCW
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2009 11:57:39 PM
hey bob, didn't i once feed you a line to use? cannot remember it with all this pof correspondence with e-buddies. but, if it worked, i want a commission!

OP most of the men i meet are my age and around five years younger. i am sixty. i think i have the same pluses and minuses today, that i had twenty years ago. i am, who i am! occasionally, i meet someone a couple years older, but haven't really gotten serious with someone older, since my first husband who was five years older and who i divorced at age 34 after ten years marriage. when they start talking about the senior citizens center, i tend to run the other way. i'm just not ready for that yet!

i do tend to hang in younger circles though, due to my professional and recreational interests and being a mom to preteens at age 50. that includes my female and male friends! my second husband was five years younger and my ex SO was 2 years younger. i imagine i don't meet the men who do not seek companionship of their peer group. unless friends, i don't encourage anyone over ten years younger. i did that after my first divorce. i was running a large company at age 34 and he was 23, dying his hair green. he was cute. i found him an 19 year old and felt very relieved. i think when times are bad, we tend to "regress". yes, it's possible to meet and fall in love. but, why seek it on the internet?

i think my current situation is just fine and was surprised hearing on pof that men ALL were dating much younger. if that were the case here, not sure i would want to meet them anyways. i keep an open mind to men older than me. so far, it hasn't worked for me. but, one never knows. if one contacts me who is way older, i ask why only seek low and not look for someone in the same upward direction? that is because they get huffy, if i'm not willing to go into the upper age group or they are just plain unnattractive to me. these are the last years of fun. i just don't want to rush it. but i don't want to date someone who could have come from my womb either!

there are a lot of single and available men here in santa cruz. but, it still takes time and willingness to let the universe choose the right man, time and place for me. i am sorry so many men and women i know from pof, live in areas that are so "sparsely" single and glad OP that you are finally finding some decent people to date who are nearer to your age. i thought florida was a retirement community. maybe now, the age is right and there are more men in that segment who are coming from other areas for the warmer weather? so, it seems they are changing, but maybe just more to choose from and vice versa!

GreenEyesBlondeHair
Msg: 10
Posted: 2/23/2009 3:39:10 AM
I recently unhid an ad in HOOYA just for the hell of it...I am 49 & a young 49 at that- my preferences are right there in the ad- SWM 45-55...I have had gaggles of 60-something men write, including 2 66 year olds....& they were not YOUNG 66 year olds from the way their PIX looked (meaning they were REALLY at least 70)

They clearly IGNORED my preferences...that site has free comments you can click on to reply- so I chose "Sorry, our age difference is too much"...after all of that, I rewrote my profile & stated in it very clearly what I was looking for & lo & behold, another 66 year old wrote me.

I already had a Daddy, he passed away 3 years ago, I am NOT looking to replace him

I think the internet has become a fantasy world for many I live in the REAL WORLD
 chaswhatif
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2009 3:58:15 AM
I'll be 60 in Dec.
Acturaial tables indicate I otta be into 65 yr.old's.
Pretty starts inside. It's the person,not the Barbie syndrome!
 ankkka
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2009 6:18:37 AM
Well...and you think it is good sign for us?
I think that they realized...they don't have anything more to choose...

I don't like leftover....
 Brownlady1953
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2009 7:04:26 AM
I have been contacted by a 77 year old man (not on here)....my late father's youngest sister (my auntie) just turned 77.....this man has a daughter my age (55).

I'm not looking for a daddy, either.....maybe a SUGARdaddy, but not a daddy....
 rearguard*2
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2009 7:58:52 AM
Is there a limit? Why cut yourself off from possible good times just because of a date written down decades ago. The only issue I see is mutual acceptance of the other person's physical, mental and emotional condition. I prefer women my own age, but very few of them that I have met are in anything like good condition in all three of those dimensions. The younger women are usually better off on the physical front, but saddled with the load of emotions and thoughts of women nearing the end of their reproductive life.

Other thing I notice is that there are a lot less over 55 women out there looking on the net for a SO than there are those in the 40 to 50 age range. If you go by statistics, it appears that you are more likely to find someone younger than older, simply because of the relative numbers.....

For me, if she can ski, bike, sail and jog with me, being the same age is a big plus!
 treselle
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2009 8:15:30 AM
Not true. Because some men date women about their age, it does not mean that they prefer such women. They settle with what they can get. Better something than nothing........If they had to choose between a younger one who is less attractive, interesting and the older one who is very interesting, attractive, men would choose the younger woman. It is all about sexual attraction. The younger the more sexually desirable. The best death to an older man is to die while having sex with a young girl.
 Gaddflye
Msg: 16
Posted: 2/23/2009 8:18:38 AM
I enjoy women in my own age bracket as friends although I do not find them sexually attractive or otherwise suitable to date. Perhaps when I hit 80 a sixty year old will interest me. A friend of mine at 75 married a woman 55. He is now 80 and she is 60. They are very happy together and make a fine couple!
 rearguard*2
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2009 8:19:36 AM
Hardly, treselie. There is no doubt that younger bodies, on men and women, are more sexually attracting, but the mind of a younger person can quickly deflate one's passion.....
 army_mom53
Msg: 18
Posted: 2/23/2009 8:33:09 AM
Well, that at least gives me hope that eventually I'll meet a man my age who's not delusional enough to think a 20-something wants to date him.

It's good to know that eventually they come back to reality ...
 gladragsnsmiles
Msg: 19
Posted: 2/23/2009 9:00:03 AM
Well, that at least gives me hope that eventually I'll meet a man my age who's not delusional enough to think a 20-something wants to date him. I like that comment army mom.

Not being a man, I can't speak for what they want if they are over OR under 60. Sometimes I have to question if they know lol. I suppose the same can be said for females (just to be fair lol). As for me, I don't look at age, but rather, I look at their level of maturity. Are they realistic. Do they still have the flair for romance. Are they compassionate towards others or are they self-indulgent. Age is just a number. It does not mean more intelligence, more mature, worldly or being a decent human being. Age is something that happens once a year and is called a birthday (not S & M day - smarter and more mature .........get your mind out of the gutter ) The only thing that gets better with age is a good scotch!
 7iron
Msg: 20
Posted: 2/23/2009 9:40:47 AM
When I do a search for women in my area my age parameter is 58 to 64. My age is 62. I find that I have much more in common with women in my age group. What really narrows the field for me is that they not only have to interest me intellectually but physically as well. I was married to a size 8 petite for almost 40 years. The largest size she ever wore was size 10. I'll never be physically attracted to an excessively overweight woman, I've tried and it doesn't work for me.

The woman that I've met since becoming single that I've been attracted to the most is going to turn 60 in March. She has been working out at least five days a week at Curves for the last five years and she is in great shape. I work out every day and walk 4 to 5 miles every day so conditioning is important to me.

I know there a women on this site whose husbands dumped them for a younger woman and to me those men were thinking through the wrong head, the little one instead of the one on top of their shoulders. I'll take a woman in my age range any day as long as she's physically fit as well as intelligent and we share common interests. Sex is important but not at the top of my list at this stage of my life.
 moraima
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2009 10:23:00 AM
I have found that men in my age bracket (7 years either way) want someone in their own age group. I am sure there are men who would prefer younger just as there are men who would prefer older. Sames preference goes for women too.
 breath~
Msg: 22
Posted: 2/23/2009 10:42:25 AM
I cannot believe there is another "age preference" thread going.
Wait a minute, scratch that, yes I can.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2009 10:49:01 AM
OPie, that's been my experience here. But on the other hand, I wouldn't be meeting the ones who are after the young 'uns, would I? In any case, no shortage while I was still looking. And no loss for the males that wish for (and actually sometimes get) younger women. Gosh, this is *such* a lovely pond, lol!

texasbaby
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2009 12:59:16 PM
I'm in a new relationship with a man in his 60s, he's attractive, fit, humorous, has all his hair and teeth, heck he even rides a motorcycle!
I've never felt as if he was just settling for me, because he couldn't do any better. I believe he saw something unique about me, that was both desireable and attractive him.
Personally, I find the concept that the over 60 crowd settles for each other, because no one else is interested, pretty insulting.

tb
 jsphn11
Msg: 25
Posted: 2/23/2009 1:40:15 PM
I am with you GreenEyesBlondHair and BrownLady. I even had a message from a man of 81 y.o. on another site He is older then my parents!!!
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Men over sixty - seem to like women in their own age bracket.