Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ontario  > ~ Awards ~      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Leeanne
Msg: 1
view profile
History
~ Awards ~Page 1 of 1    
While watching the Academy Awards tonight I couldn't help but think - where the hell is my award for all the hard work I do?!?! I mean really! On some jobs you at least get tips!! Wouldn't it be cool if someone presented you with a statue to honour all that you do?!?
So now on to my question......
Do you feel that you get rewarded or recognized for the hard work you do?
What would you like to recieve in recognition for putting yourself out there?
 Greanize
Msg: 2
view profile
History
~ Awards ~
Posted: 2/23/2009 5:04:31 AM

What would you like to recieve in recognition for putting yourself out there?

A bigger paycheck!
 english lass
Msg: 3
~ Awards ~
Posted: 2/23/2009 5:42:21 AM
one time when the ex was complaining about things i hadn't done before he got home (the table wasn't empty - it had a kids jigsaw puzzle on it and he liked clear surfaces, etc.) i asked him why he only pointed out my mistakes and never said thanks for the things i did right

he said, "my boss never thanks *me*!"

yeah....

so, i reckon some simple "thank you's" and appreciation every now and then would go a long way for those who work inside and outside the home
 KarmicEvolution
Msg: 4
view profile
History
~ Awards ~
Posted: 2/23/2009 6:56:36 AM

he said, "my boss never thanks *me*!"

I would have kicked him in the shin!! Then told him at least his boss PAYS him....
 nascar3fan
Msg: 5
~ Awards ~
Posted: 2/23/2009 11:39:56 AM
^ you spelled balls wrong.

If you want recognition, set up an awards banquet for your field. They have done that in a couple of industries around here.
 applepienmore
Msg: 6
~ Awards ~
Posted: 2/23/2009 12:53:49 PM
I agree. At a previous job I worked at...monthly they would give a person recognition and put their name up and a few tidbits about them....it was a picture of them and name and people really appreciated it.
 macabbi
Msg: 7
~ Awards ~
Posted: 2/23/2009 2:42:40 PM
One of the companies I work for sent me a beautiful gift basket at Xmas time with a note thanking me for all the hard work I have done and continue to do.
It was a lovely surprise , and meant even more when I found out that not everyone got one , they didnt send them out randomly to everyone so I felt happy at the recognition.
A small gesture can go a long way.........
 Leeanne
Msg: 8
view profile
History
~ Awards ~
Posted: 2/23/2009 4:03:46 PM
We get a Xmas dinner for free every year and a few other tidbits - but it's really the 'Thanks You's' that mean the most! When I worked for a Karate Centre - they gave plaques and small gifts intermittently and always said thank you - along with public recognition. That was nice.
It's just that it's easy to get over whelmed when you work so hard and it would ease the load if there was something to look forward to.
I am making my own award though - by setting goals and overcoming them - concluding in a grand finale!
 psssst
Msg: 9
~ Awards ~
Posted: 2/23/2009 4:11:40 PM

We get a Xmas dinner for free every year and a few other tidbits - but it's really the 'Thanks You's' that mean the most!
I gotta say, I agree with you on this one...

I've actually declined having lunch or dinner with the owner or GM at the company I work for as a thank you to me... I get enough validation in not only them thanking me when I do a good job, but in knowing that the clients appreciate the work I do for them as well... and yes, the clients express their thanks to me also...

I've also received awards for projects I've worked on for clients, and although I have that displayed in my office, it's the comment I overheard about my being capable of doing the work that I appreciate more...

Ultimately, my reward for a job well done... more work...
 macabbi
Msg: 10
~ Awards ~
Posted: 2/24/2009 7:27:55 PM
Well Leeanne, boredom set in on a long drive home today from work and I gave this more thought ......
I actually realised that the personal satisfaction of knowing I have done good work is more rewarding than getting any recognition for it. I helped quite a few people today , and felt good about it , and it really doesnt matter if any-one else knew about it or not .
Thanks for the question that was food for thought
 Roseboot
Msg: 11
~ Awards ~
Posted: 2/24/2009 7:33:32 PM
About 6 years ago I was voted Teacher of the Year, by students. That means more to me than any recognition from an employer.
 Leeanne
Msg: 12
view profile
History
~ Awards ~
Posted: 2/26/2009 2:37:05 AM
^^^^That's so amazing - I bet you felt awesome about that and always will!
When we were young and our parents (hopefully) cheered us on to achieve significant milestones in our life - it spured us on to continue to develop and grow in a positive direction. Once we are away from thier support it's nice when those cheers come from people who are important in your life!
 Roseboot
Msg: 13
~ Awards ~
Posted: 2/26/2009 3:09:58 PM
^^^^ You are right. I still smile when I think of that nomination :-) Many of the students still keep in touch.
 ~rain~
Msg: 14
view profile
History
~ Awards ~
Posted: 2/27/2009 5:32:04 AM
I think that if you are a good person you are recognized more then you may think. If people speak of you with a smile on their face, that is one of the biggest rewards you can ever have!
We should not do things just to be recognized, we should do things because it makes us feel fantastic just to do them.
 sinnfein
Msg: 15
view profile
History
~ Awards ~
Posted: 2/27/2009 9:51:01 AM
When it comes to work the only reward I want or need comes in the form of a direct deposit! (the larger the better)! I don't need someone else to tell me I am doing my job right or even well, I know when I am successful at work.
Personal life is different, but the "awards" are not monetary or even tangible, they are respect, loyalty, honor, caring, and if your really lucky, your children will give you the biggest reward of all by being well adjusted, loving/caring, and successful in what ever they do (and I do not mean they have to be rich or well educated).
 Leeanne
Msg: 16
view profile
History
~ Awards ~
Posted: 2/28/2009 3:32:13 AM

We should not do things just to be recognized, we should do things because it makes us feel fantastic just to do them.

That I have done my entire life - however there are days where recognition just makes it even more worthwhile! For instance I took a whole bunch of new toys and interesting things into work for the kids to do last week. I also repaired a toy box for them and I sewed new elastics on about 40 cot sheets. I did all that because I wanted to - the kids had a ball with the toys and they slept better with sheets that didn't fall off or bunch up! I was very pleased. However what I didn't realize was that at this 'new' job the supervisor does a monthly evaluation to give you feed back - I got a very positive review and she thanked me for the things I had done! It felt great that she even realized what I had done! It was icing on the cake - especially when you are tired and exhausted by the end of the week!
It's the little unexpected acclamations that spur us on to continue to do what we do - regardless of what may come!
 isthatlegal
Msg: 17
view profile
History
~ Awards ~
Posted: 3/20/2009 10:40:31 AM
"It's the little unexpected acclamations that spur us on to continue to do what we do - regardless of what may come!" i think in that last comment leeanne nailed it perfectly.

it's not the major awards that matter, sometimes it's just a smile and a "thank you for your hard work" that matter most to people.

i'm sure many people want but i think a lot more people just want a smile and a pat on the back.

too many supervisors forget to do the small things and think that one big thing every month or two is enough.

so tomorrow at work folks, remember to smile and let others know if they have done something to make you life easier ;-)
Show ALL Forums  > Ontario  > ~ Awards ~