Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Florida  > Mingle Game Ideas at the meet n greets?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Florida_Diva
Msg: 1
Mingle Game Ideas at the meet n greets?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
The events we have in the Tampa area the host's want people to mingle, we have done the nut n bolt game ( men get bolts women nuts, must match ),
Card match( find your match) game,
tag game( when u see some one your intersted in tag them with a sticker),
Spin the bottle ( yea )
love dice ( each couple roll a die and read it ei. (rub my) (leg) and act it out....
We have done these as well as speed dating . .. . .all have worked out great and the venues even have given the matching couple a drink on the house . So does anyone have any other ideas to get people to mingle at these events we have????
For some who are kinda shy to help break the ice?????
 Naughtical
Msg: 2
Mingle Game Ideas at the meet n greets?
Posted: 2/25/2009 2:52:09 PM

For some who are kinda shy to help break the ice?????

I am thinking that those who are "kinda shy" would be scared to death to attend a party where these type of games are being played.
In no way am I being critical (just voicing MY opinion) and I want to say, first and foremost, that I appreciate and realize all the work and thought a host puts into these parties. Much appreciated.

The games mentioned above have sexual inuendos attached to them. I believe that is inappropriate for a first meet. We don't want them on our first date so why would we want them at a "meet and greet"?
Rub my leg??? I hardly think so!
Attach a sticker to me??? Just try it!
Nuts and bolts??? Am I dirty minded or what?

I think this is a great thread, hopefully someone has some ideas for ice breakers others than those that you would expect at an unchaperoned teenage party.

My idea?
Just announce the time and the place...leave the rest up to the adults. Even the shyest of the shy come out of their shell if they see something interesting enough.
Posted: 2/25/2009 3:04:29 PM
Several years ago I was invited to a party arranged by a woman on match. Prior to the party we had to email her with a little know fact about ourselves. It could be absolutely anything about ourselves, but not something that was obvious.

When we arrived we were each given a "little known fact" about a member of the opposite sex. Talk about ice breakers. "Ah, excuse me. Have you ever ridden an elephant?" or "Were you ever a high school cheerleader?" It was lots of fun "working the room" to find the mystery person.
 SpaceyBlonde
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2009 4:14:50 PM
I'm going to have to agree with Naughtical on this one in several ways.

This is a meet and greet where a good portion of the people don't know each other and are of a varied age range. Really don't want some 21 year old pup rubbing my leg or sticking anything on any part of my body - nor do I want another woman even trying this.

Believe it or not, until I get to know people I'm very shy and I absolutely despise playing games (with a capital D)! If I were at one of these meets I would not participate in the games. In fact, I'd probably show up late just to miss that part.

But then again, I really believe it has a lot to do with the group of people in general. (I know I'll get slammed for this next statement but....Oh well!) A younger or more (shall we say) unrefined crowd may find the games fun, where as an older, more refined crowd would find them childish and quite immature.

We did HAVE to play one at work years ago - we had to write down 3 things about ourselves - 2 had to be true and 1 false - then we had to read them and everyone had to guess the false one.

JMHO..........
 Bellydanza
Msg: 5
Posted: 2/25/2009 5:37:15 PM
Yeah I am very shy myself, so I would not be into those games at all.

In college we'd often play a game where we had a name of someone in news placed on our backs...and you had to go around to other in class and ask yes or no questions to try and figure out who your person was. After a certain time everyone gathered and based on their info found out, guessed their person.

I like the idea of the ''little known fact''... i got a similar one once at a teacher workshop as a first day ice breaker.
 magickisssss
Msg: 6
Posted: 2/26/2009 6:43:16 AM
Well I am rather shy at the mingling thing also. I might be the one to invite people to my table and get them up to dance, but still shy at the mingling thing. I was fortunate with the nut and bolt thing to match up with someone I knew, and for the playing card match, he found me, we went and got our drinks and he went back to his table. I agree that the mingling games are a good thing to do, but I also agree that some will be too shy or put off by them. I kinda liked what wanna dance had to say for meeting someone new.

Diva, always love how you try to get people to mingle and have a good time. Always have fun when you host
 Cajun3149
Msg: 7
Posted: 2/26/2009 11:55:38 AM
Play "spin the bottle"...............
 Phoenix The Wych
Msg: 8
Posted: 2/26/2009 1:47:14 PM
~~~~~Just announce the time and the place...leave the rest up to the adults. Even the shyest of the shy come out of their shell if they see something interesting enough.~~~~~

Ok....I just have to comment on this one. I've been hosting events for POF for 2 years and believe me, the shy ones do NOT usually participate in any of the mingling games. It's been my experience that when you see someone standing on the sidelines or sitting in a corner all alone....they're not going to join in no matter what the fun. I've often tried to get them involved in some way....trying to get them to dance...taking others over to introduce them and trying to get a conversation going.....sometimes people just don't want to mingle. And that is certainly their prerogative just as joining in on ANY of the games played at a meet-n-greet is exclusively your choice. I in NO way force anyone to play a game they have no interest in. That was the point of this thread...to get some ideas for games everyone might want to try. Yes, a lot of my games have sexual innuendoes and naughty connotations.....that's just my personality....I figure if you don't want to play my games then no problem. We've actually had people request the "nuts and bolts" game and the "playing card match" game for any future parties. A lot of people like these games and, for them, I'll try to accommodate them. But I'd also like to hear about other, more tame games also.
 Phoenix The Wych
Msg: 9
Posted: 2/26/2009 1:50:37 PM
Cajun....believe it or not....I tried playing spin the bottle at the last party.....I had several people ask for it in fact....but as soon as I would go up to the table to play, no one would step up to play.....what can ya do??? *LOL* Guess no one likes the Wych!!!
 Naughtical
Msg: 10
Posted: 2/26/2009 3:59:55 PM
Wytch: I am curious. Is this the same "spin the bottle" that we played as teenagers?
I admit to doing it, as a kid, but I always knew the participants.
We did not kiss strangers.
Does this adult version of spin the bottle involve kissing strangers?

I will say again...the hosts/hostesses are great.

Call me a prude, call me old...I just think some of these games add pressure to attending the parties than making it easier.

I do agree that ice breakers are a great idea.
But gee...do they have to have sexual connotations attached to them?

I apologize for posting and having no ideas to contribute. I am almost 50. I don't like playing sillly games.

However, I will say that Wannadance's game sounded interesting.
 Florida_Diva
Msg: 11
Posted: 2/26/2009 6:29:51 PM
Ad Miss P stated, we get asked for these, to each his own, some did play spin the bottle a lot at the 13 cafe lounge party a few weeks ago and most were older than 50 and enjoyed oh so much,,,,,,................. again so how can we get the wall flowers off the wall?????

and whats wrong with acting like teenagers once in awhile anyway make the heart feel younger
 Florida_Diva
Msg: 12
Posted: 2/26/2009 6:33:36 PM
BWT heres the link to 13s party pics u can see them enjoying the games
http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts11818099.aspx
and btw not all who go to our events are strangers, we have a good following who go to all out events,
as u can tell by the pic the bottle was a hit
 Phoenix The Wych
Msg: 13
Posted: 2/26/2009 6:33:48 PM
*LOL* If you read my profile you'll see that I'm 56.....and I love games....and my personality is extremely sexually oriented so, yes, sometimes the games DO have to be explicit.....sorry....but, as I said, the choice to play lies with you.....there is no pressure to play the games.....it's completely by choice.

And the spin the bottle game does involve kissing a stranger sometimes...but it doesn't have to be a "tonsil hockey" type of kiss...it could even be a kiss on the cheek....depending on the participants.

These parties....events...meet-n-greets....whatever you want to call them....aren't just about playing games....it's about being able to meet people, get to know them, talk about your likes and dislikes, find out what you have in common, see if there's chemistry.....something that sometimes takes weeks or even months if you try to do it by email one-on-one......I don't know about everyone else but I don't have years to waste anymore.....I don't feel like taking 6 weeks or 6 months to dilly-dally around with the email games.
 Florida_Diva
Msg: 14
Posted: 2/27/2009 7:04:19 AM
well said Phoenixwych

i do belive even if one couple meet and click over just one mingle game its worth it, i do know a few are dating because of the speed dating game....

been thinking of games for the luau Phonenix is having Hola Hoop anyone?? lol
 SRQleslie
Msg: 15
Posted: 2/27/2009 7:32:31 AM
I have only attended 3 POF ‘parties’ since I have been on here and I have to say that I remain ‘baffled’!
Presumably people are attending because they want to MEET someone! For the most part, I have felt like I was at an ‘8th grade dance’!

PLEASE do not get me wrong, I VERY much appreciate the efforts of the host/hostess who have taken the time to organize the parties.

Having said that, I am going to go ‘out on a limb’ and host a party myself on April 25th. SO - I am VERY much interested in ideas/games………..WHATEVER………..that will encourage people to mix & mingle.

Although, I also wonder if it doesn't have a LOT to do with WHERE the party is held! I have followed the ‘after party’ threads and have definitely seen evidence (by the postings) of some VERY successful parties! ALSO - it 'appears' that the host/hostess were VERY instrumental (by virtue of setting the tone and the ENTHUSIASM that they themselves exhibited).

GOOD THREAD Florida Diva!
 Phoenix The Wych
Msg: 16
Posted: 2/27/2009 12:09:37 PM
I love the hula hoop idea, Diva!!!!........I'm going to go to Walmart and buy a few right away!!! *LOL*.....I'm not limber enough to do the "Limbo" anymore but that's a good one, also......I'm going to pick up some more playing cards and we always have the naughty dice!
 Phoenix The Wych
Msg: 17
Posted: 2/27/2009 12:21:24 PM
I've been to more than a few POF parties and I can tell you that if the hostess is not out there mingling and bringing people together then a lot of the people are uncomfortable and the party doesn't go well. I try to interact with all my guests, even if it's just to say hello, glad you could make it. But I also try to bring the wall-huggers and shy people into the action areas. It doesn't always work but at least I try!....and I have a wonderful co-hostess in Diva...she's all over the place, chatting, playing games......and she has some kick-a$$ parties of her own, too!!!!....loved all the 13 parties!
 judijudijudi1
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2009 7:31:17 PM
Hi........this is judijudijudi1..............Little known facts:
This sounds really quite nice.......without getting the whole initial meeting into sexual inuendos.......................After all, for those of us who are trying to find serious friendships
hopefully leading one day to a fulfulling relationship............we don't want the initial meetings led down the wrong path from the very start......
Those who ARE looking for the more sexual encounters will have NO Problem I am sure
getting their message across.......LOL
As for THIS idea............It would be a lot of fun...........people asking questions pertaining to "the Little Known Facts".............Hopefully responses would be kept to
ice breakers and NOT ice MELTERs!!! LOL.......................I love this Idea!!!! judijudijudi1
 judijudijudi1
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2009 7:48:51 PM
What about ACTUAL games?????????

Card games: ie: Texas Holdem....(poker)...or Euchre......(perhaps not well known enough), or Dice games: Bunco, Yatze: Pictionary..........How to do it??? No Clue...=But it is FUN
I am thinking that if we are busy having fun "doing" something.......the mingling would happen automatically and the "shy" as myself, would mingle without the most difficult
initial ice breaking moments!!! LOL. . . . . . . . . . just a thought judijudijudi1
 Phoenix The Wych
Msg: 20
Posted: 2/28/2009 5:36:51 AM
Actual games would be nice except usually the music is so loud and the crowd is so huge that trying to play a game would be iffy.....but it's certainly worth looking into....maybe the venue has a separate, quieter room where some games could be set up. My other concern about this is that these games can sometimes be pricey and if pieces come up missing or the game is accidentally left behind and disposed of then people would be reluctant to bring their games again. But it certainly is a good idea.

As for the sexually explicit games....I do understand that some people just aren't into them and that's perfectly alright.....I hope we can get some really good ideas for the more sedate crowd....and I wish everyone all the luck in the world finding their long term love. *S*
 Latina1056
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2009 4:01:56 PM
Hey guys don't hate me for this..
But I am one that enjoys the games I myself go around and try to get some of the wall flowers off the walls and get them to mingle because these parties are about meeting people..
If you don't make a love connection you at least made new friends. We need to understand, the host are busy and cannot get to over 300 people that is why I make it a point to look for the host and introduce myself and thank them for the party.. Because I do understand the trouble and the time they put into these parties. On my behalf ladies thank you again.

I love these parties and will travel just to go make new friends woo hooo...

Now for the part that some will hate me...
I always enjoyed the game TWISTER as a kid and I am sure that some people would play.. Its fun and it can get you up and close and personal... Just my 2cents.
 Phoenix The Wych
Msg: 22
Posted: 3/1/2009 9:50:53 AM
Latina.....Twister is a kick-a$$ game!!!...unfortunately I don't twist and contort like I did in my youth! *LMAO*....but it's certainly a great game....and worth looking into!!!
 Florida_Diva
Msg: 23
Posted: 3/1/2009 1:44:35 PM
The Zone in Tarpon does Twister on Monday nights, i havent been yet, sure would love to watch . ..
We who do host enjoy any and all help we can get, we dont get to have much fun ourselfs because we are so busy. Our last event we didnt do any mingle games and we partyed and had a blast daning as you can see from our R Beach pics i have posted.. AND we were called out for NOT getting people to mingle . .Well it is also up to those who go to say hi to others.... A great way to mingle is bring your camera and take pictures.
 PureElegance4you
Msg: 24
Posted: 3/29/2009 9:41:32 PM
how about a dating game??? have a person write a few questions down and give to 3 people to fill out, then have the person who filled it out read the anwsers and pick one, you can have the venue give them a free drink and 15 mins to talk, see what happens?
what do you think
 SRQleslie
Msg: 25
Posted: 3/30/2009 7:26:31 AM
THANKS for reminding me of this GREAT thread! I was trying to find it the other day to both acknowledge and THANK the OP for starting it!

so.........here it is.......................THANK YOU!!!
Show ALL Forums  > Florida  > Mingle Game Ideas at the meet n greets?