Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > If you make less than $250,000. in one year ..........      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 cotter
Msg: 1
view profile
History
If you make less than $250,000. in one year ..........Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
... your taxes will not go up.

Well, my taxes won't be going up ...

I wonder how the Republicans could possibly come out against this?

As I write this, they are waiting for Governor Jindal to reply to the Presidential address.

I hope he won't be too negative.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 2
view profile
History
If you make less than $250,000. in one year ..........
Posted: 2/24/2009 7:33:09 PM
"waiting for Governor Jindal to reply to the Presidential address.

I hope he won't be too negative."

He is attacking individual components ... and playing the 'cut taxes' song. He claims that it has worked in Lousiana.

I'd love to hear what some of the people devistated by Katrina would say about his claims as to how wonderful things are for them today.

He is also making as if they are different points the same points that Obama made.
 cotter
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 2/24/2009 7:46:53 PM
Did you notice that where traditionally they have a "congressman" give the response, the Republicans had to "out-source" the source of their opinion?

Is it my imagination or does it seem like Jindal is opposed to everything OBAMA spoke of? The Republicans in the room were giving OBAMA a standing ovation, but Jindal is talking as if none of them would be supportive.
 southernlass
Msg: 4
Posted: 2/24/2009 8:02:06 PM
Sounds good to me about the tax cut, though I don't understand how exactly this tax cut is going to apply to me. What about those of us who are self employed, who are making less than 250 thousand? What does this tax cut mean for us?

Truthfully, I wasn't enthused about Bobby Jindal at all. He seemed disingenuous. He just doesn't come across as sincere, which is unfortunate. This is just the way he impacted me. After President Obama, he was certainly lackluster. I do hope that he won't be attempting the presidency any time in the near future. Surely the Republicans can do better than he. At any rate, they'll have to if they have a hope or a prayer of winning in 2012.
 cotter
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 2/24/2009 8:04:39 PM

What does this tax cut mean for us?
Lass ... I'm not sure yet about a tax cut ... just sure that he said that if we don't make MORE than 1/4 million a year ... that our taxes won't increase.

Well ... no problem there for me!!!!!
 skoochie
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 2/24/2009 8:49:23 PM
Jindahl made himself look like a Republican lap dog. I love the way he invoked Katrina as if the government response on any level was effective. How cutting taxes got Louisiana out of the wake of Katrina, yet he failed to mention the hundred billion plus dollars the feds sent there after the debacle had already unfolded. I heard one pundit say that Jindahl's rebuttal made Palin look a whole lot better. This their upcoming star huh. Well, he needs to fill up a glass of reality and take a big 'ol gulp of "your party lost the election based on the very platform you stood on tonight." Suck it up and try to be a team player.
 sum1reel
Msg: 7
Posted: 2/24/2009 9:06:38 PM
when Obama repeals the Bush tax cut decree we will all be paying more taxes
 allegiant_one
Msg: 8
Posted: 2/24/2009 9:12:47 PM
You people are so silly. Apparently you'll believe anything as long as it's packaged in a nicely worded speech. Your comments remind me of the story of the "Pied Piper", for crying out loud. You really need to have a "Reality Check".

The total United States liabilities and financial obligations are more than 65 TRILLION Dollars! This exceeds the GDP of the entire world! These liabilities and financial obligations include future Social Security and Medicare payments that the US Government is committed to pay out.

Where do you think these Politicians get all this money they want to spend? Do you think that it comes from taxing people who earn over $250K per year? WRONG! The Government has to BORROW IT!

What we have is Government "run amuck" and they are talking you right into it. It seems a new "bailout" or a new "stimulus" is being passed almost weekly now.

Instead of accepting the fact that we must adopt a lower standard of living and deal with the reality of our massive debt, the Politicians are trying to crank up the debt spiral one more time.

The truth is that all of this government spending will help the Economy in the short term, but it will make the long term problems of the U.S. government far worse.

So who is going to buy all of this new Government debt? China has serious doubts about who is going to buy all of America's NEW debt. The "Reality" is that the only way that the BIG Government can "bailout" anyone or pay for any "stimulus" bill is to borrow.

So America borrows and borrows and borrows and borrows.

If your own personal finances were like that, how do you think it would end?

You can't SPEND your way out of a Depression. You must PRODUCE your way out of one.

Now, Obama promises you that your taxes will not increase if you make less than $250K. OK. Think about this. Where is the US Government going to get all this money to fuel their massive appetite for "Spending" or even to pay down the National Debt? Where??? It can only be borrowed. It's a shame Obama won't tell you that, because that's the absolute TRUTH.
 southernlass
Msg: 9
Posted: 2/24/2009 9:23:25 PM
He's going to tax two percent of Americans and business's making over $250,000 and will save money from slowly moving out of Iraq and cutting off various programs etc. that aren't working.

Honestly, I think he means to try and make a go of this. If he doesn't...if he comes off as being a liar, how do you think he'll get the green light for another four years?
 sum1reel
Msg: 10
Posted: 2/24/2009 9:27:39 PM
^

Where is the US Government going to get all this money to fuel their massive appetite for "Spending" or even to pay down the National Debt? Where??? It can only be borrowed.

.......my understanding is that the treasury will simply print-out the money, and will "flood" the ecomony with it........Keynsian style!..........no debt notes will be established!

.......which makes me wonder why they would need to raise more taxes on anyone who makes over 250k (as this is a small portion of payers)...cause whatever amount they collect won't in any way make a dent in correcting the deficit.
 skoochie
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 2/24/2009 9:35:50 PM
I don't see how doing nothing is going to get us out of this mess either. Obama isn't playing a game of monopoly for the first ime. He has some really samrt econmic minds who helped him with this plan.

We'll never have investor confidence in the banks until the banks quit sounding insecure about their toxic assets. No one wants to invest in a bank that doesn't know what is on it's books. We need the market to bounce back. The way to do that is to get these foreclosures suppressed by getting jobs to the owners of those mortgages so that the banks can get paid, bounce back and allow investors some confidence in the market.
 allegiant_one
Msg: 12
Posted: 2/24/2009 9:53:12 PM

He's going to tax two percent of Americans and business's making over $250,000 and will save money from slowly moving out of Iraq and cutting off various programs etc. that aren't working.

Do the math and then account for the current economic contractions in business and rising unemployment. We will barely collect enough revenue, through taxes, to pay the "interest" on the debt. This is insanity! What will be the only choice left to sustain our Standard of Living? Borrow more. What will be the ultimate outcome once we have no one left to lend us money? Total Economic Collapse!

Honestly, I think he means to try and make a go of this. If he doesn't...if he comes off as being a liar, how do you think he'll get the green light for another four years?

Oh. He'll make a "go-of-it". Politicians always do. Will there be a viable America in 4 years? That remains to be seen.
 CountIbli
Msg: 13
Posted: 2/24/2009 10:10:58 PM

He's going to tax two percent of Americans and business's making over $250,000

Right, because we all know that businesses won't pass on these higher taxes to the consumers. Where's the facepalm smilie when you need it?
 allegiant_one
Msg: 14
Posted: 2/24/2009 10:13:08 PM

We'll never have investor confidence in the banks until the banks quit sounding insecure about their toxic assets. No one wants to invest in a bank that doesn't know what is on it's books.

Likewise, why would an investor have confidence to invest in a Country (USA) which has such a debt load? And they continue to show "losses" in Trade deficits and "consume" more than they produce? Why would any "sound" investor do this?

We need the market to bounce back. The way to do that is to get these foreclosures suppressed by getting jobs to the owners of those mortgages so that the banks can get paid, bounce back and allow investors some confidence in the market.

Wall St. is already showing us that they have NO confidence in the US Government. They know, what you don't know, because you're not being told. Reason? Because of "Political Expediency." But when you "have your epiphany" through your dwindling pay checks and spending more and more for a loaf of bread, you're gonna be pissed! LOL.

Investors are fleeing to Gold and Silver (real currency). Earnings are at new lows, thus unemployment will continue to rise. The "Purchasing Power" of the Dollar is declining fast. And the Government wants to RAISE TAXES on the people who earn over 250K and increase SPENDING? Are they kidding me? It's a House of Cards.

Hope and Pray that Israel and Iran don't go at it. It will be either WW3 or Armageddon.
 Written by Hank
Msg: 15
Posted: 2/24/2009 10:16:20 PM

I wonder how the Republicans could possibly come out against this?

Because they represent the interests of only the wealthy.

Total Economic Collapse!

And we can thank the wealthy for that. You want out of this mess? Here is the solution: Strip the wealthy of their wealth through progressive taxes and redistribute it.
 allegiant_one
Msg: 16
Posted: 2/24/2009 10:39:24 PM

.......my understanding is that the treasury will simply print-out the money, and will "flood" the ecomony with it........Keynsian style!..........no debt notes will be established!

Keynesian Economics is exactly what Obama is proposing. The problems which "stands out" with Keynesian Economics is that the output is Temporary, and we become somewhat "Protectionist". Also, it stiffels competition in the private sector, because businesses will be in competition with the Government. Keynesian Economics will be difficult to implement, unless we transfer from a Free Market to a Totalitarian State. I think Riots and a Revolution, perhaps a Civil War would eventually happen by then.

.......which makes me wonder why they would need to raise more taxes on anyone who makes over 250k (as this is a small portion of payers)...cause whatever amount they collect won't in any way make a dent in correcting the deficit.

Exactly. It appears to be a "smoke screen". Doesn't it?
 sum1reel
Msg: 17
Posted: 2/24/2009 10:46:11 PM
^

And we can thank the wealthy for that

no, we can thank the apathetic voters and unconcerned citizens who have never demanded accountability from their elected officials.

Here is the solution: Strip the wealthy of their wealth through progressive taxes

really?......and what impetus will the "wealthy" have to create jobs in the private sector....or do suppose that we all get jobs as government employees?

redistribute it.

to whom?...............man, you should consider moving to N. Korea, i think you'd really love the ambiance there.
 allegiant_one
Msg: 18
Posted: 2/24/2009 10:52:00 PM

And we can thank the wealthy for that. You want out of this mess? Here is the solution: Strip the wealthy of their wealth through progressive taxes and redistribute it.

That's all together Kooky. Mysterious and Spooky.

The REAL "Culprit" is Government and Politics. Gee Whiz! It's pretty evident.

If you were playing a baseball game according to the rules laid out by the "Rules of Baseball", all would go well and you would have a fair game. Likewise, when you have a Free Market System and are playing by "sound" rules of Economics, you also have a fair game. But when you have a "Rule Changer" (Government) come into either game, fairness is out the window. Some people take advantage and become greedy, while others become disenfranchised. The BLAME lies with the "Rule Changer".
 sum1reel
Msg: 19
Posted: 2/24/2009 10:56:32 PM
@ allegiant

Also, it stiffels competition in the private sector, because businesses will be in competition with the Government. Keynesian Economics will be difficult to implement, unless we transfer from a Free Market to a Totalitarian State.

..........it may not stiffle the private sector entirely as contract jobs may be auctioned out to the lowest bidder.......this might in turn create competition amongst private companies who are vying for government backed projects........lets face it, the government isn't gonna buy whole construction companies to do infrastructure work.

...even full blown totalitarian states like Nazi germany had private companies like Porsche, messerschmidt, Mercedes...all making money for manufacturing war equipment and motor vehicles.
 allegiant_one
Msg: 20
Posted: 2/24/2009 11:32:55 PM
..........it may not stiffle the private sector entirely as contract jobs may be auctioned out to the lowest bidder.......this might in turn create competition amongst private companies who are vying for government backed projects........lets face it, the government isn't gonna buy whole construction companies to do infrastructure work.

True. However the whole macroeconomic model would have to change drastically and thus, would be "dictated" by the Government. This is not a good thing.

Plus, all kinds of "crap" will enter into the bidding processes. Corruption will be the "rule of the day" enhancing such tendencies as bribery and collusion.

Government may not want to buy whole construction companies, but they will definetely want to control them. Besides, infrastructure projects are temporary...nothing sustainable.

...even full blown totalitarian states like Nazi germany had private companies like Porsche, messerschmidt, Mercedes...all making money for manufacturing war equipment and motor vehicles.

Well...I hope we don't go down that road toward Totalitarianism. Talk about Government regulating EVERYTHING we say and do! Freedom will be gone forever!
 Written by Hank
Msg: 21
Posted: 2/25/2009 7:10:18 AM

Likewise, when you have a Free Market System and are playing by "sound" rules of Economics, you also have a fair game.

Not true. As one acquires more wealth, one also acquires advantage over the others playing "the game." As the wealth compounds for an individual, so do the advantages. To use your baseball game example: Suppose a baseball game with a final score of 10 - 4. The way we currently play the free market game, at the next game, those two teams carry their points over. The winner of the the last game starts with the ten points, while the loser starts with only four. Hardly a "fair" game.

That's all together Kooky. Mysterious and Spooky.

Not at all. We do it already - or once did. Unfortunately, as the wealthy have been give more and more tax breaks, the gap in the distribution of wealth has been growing. We are seeing the results of that, now.

The REAL "Culprit" is Government

Yup, true, the government has existed solely for the benefit of the wealthy few. Perhaps that is changing, now.

and what impetus will the "wealthy" have to create jobs in the private sector

The wealthy don't create jobs. This is simply the rhetoric of the rich. Don't be fooled by it.

The solution to the mess this country is in, is to redistribute the wealth. That top five percent, who own most everything, need to be forced to give some of it up. Is that fair? It doesn't matter if it's fair.
 cotter
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2009 12:26:44 PM

and what impetus will the "wealthy" have to create jobs in the private

The wealthy don't create jobs. This is simply the rhetoric of the rich. Don't be fooled by it.
I have to agree with this ... the wealthy I know do not create jobs. They just keep reinvesting their money at better and better rates of interest than a poor person could get.

Best (and simplest) example I can think of is a simple savings account. Regular "off-the-street James" has $500.00 he wants to put into a savings account. Even if he puts it in a savings account with the lowest bearing interest ...it will be gone before long, because even the interest it might earn will get gobbled up in "account fees" because the account is less than $1,000.

The guy with $1,000. gets all kinds of perks, gets free checking, gets free money orders, gets a much higher rate of interest ... yadda, yadda, yadda ... just gets richer.

It should be the same amount of interest for "off-the-street James" as anyone else. It should be the same "no monthly fee" for "off-the-street James" as anyone else.

But since it's not ... and those rules aren't fair for the poor, why should we (the poor) play fair with the rich?
 Written by Hank
Msg: 23
Posted: 2/25/2009 12:58:42 PM

They just keep reinvesting their money at better and better rates of interest

Favorable interest rates (or no interest at all when handed cash by the government for, um, "public investment") are just one of the many advantages bestowed upon the wealthy...and it's a huge one.
 OneBlend
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2009 4:35:40 PM
RE: Total Economic Collapse

I want to laugh so hard I cry ...
And just who do you think these "wealthy" are? I have nothing against the people who've made their fortunes legitimately and who's fortunes pale in comparison to the banking elites (the bloodlines) who not only control the government, have shaped our policies, created the economic roller coasters and consider human beings a source of revenue from birth ... from the time you are born, you are just a number and $$$ enslaved to the corporations ... USA being one.
The only break you're going to get is a lunch break while performing your obligations to these people.
 Written by Hank
Msg: 25
Posted: 2/25/2009 5:06:10 PM
I have nothing against the people who've made their fortunes legitimately

No one, ever, has made their fortunes without taking advantage of the compounding advantages one gains as their wealth grows. Often, those advantages begin at birth.

That is why investing in education is important. It helps to level things a bit.

But if people want a real solution to the coming economic meltdown, I offered one. It is the only one that will work in the (very) long run. The problems now are nothing compared to what's coming for most people. The biggest threat we face - "we" being the average Joe and Jane - is the inequity of wealth. Global warming, terrorists, or getting smashed by a passing comet pale in comparison.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > If you make less than $250,000. in one year ..........