Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ireland  > Voting in an election      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 thenewlife
Msg: 1
Voting in an electionPage 1 of 1    
Just wanted to ask a few questions about your views on politics in Ireland. Do you vote in elections? Why do you bother to vote? Do you feel that your vote makes any difference?

Where I am from they look at you like you are crazy when you tell them you are a non voter, voter turnout is very high in Sweden and I cannot for the life of me understand why these people bother voting.
 Miss Grundy
Msg: 2
Voting in an election
Posted: 3/6/2009 10:25:03 AM
Politics in Ireland seem to be a bit of a joke...no political party has managed to get the majority of the vote in recent years and 'rainbow governments' have had to be formed...the time when Bertie Ahern was Taoiseach and had Mary Harney as his Taniste was pretty bad for us as a country because Mary Harney is dreadful...she is a cold, unfeeling old boot and cruel beyond belief.

I actually can't keep up with who is running the country at all most of the time..I know Biffo is the Taoiseah now and is Mary Coughlan the Tanaiste ?

Anyway, it seems votes don't make much of a difference round these parts when you can just march on the Dail and demand they renege on whatever they planned on doing.

But when I vote, which I always do, I tend to vote for the TD who I believe will do the best for the constituency where I live and not for the political party.

I don't really have a lot of faith in our politicians really.
 thenewlife
Msg: 3
Voting in an election
Posted: 3/6/2009 11:01:11 AM
In a country with millions of voters my own vote is insignificant and when all politicians are the same I do not think it is wise to spend time and money getting to you local voting office.
 MR-Doddy
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Voting in an election
Posted: 3/7/2009 12:40:44 PM
Just to be pedantic MG, it is only a rainbow coalition where there is more than 2 parties, so we haven't had a rainbow coalition since FG/Labour/DL were defeated in 1997.

I have very little faith in politicians, anymore, I was a member of SF for almost 6 years but left for ideological reasons, I felt they betrayed the working class. I still will probably vote for them in the locals, based on their local candidates, but one of my best friends from school is running from Labour, so will give him a decent scratch as he is a good community worker too, even though I have little time for his party.

I am a keen enthusiast of the Venezuelan politician and would love to see the Irish people taking the bull by the horns the way that they have under Chavez. For me, it truly is an inspiration. Politics should be about the people but unfortunately, very few of them give a **** about any of us.
 thenewlife
Msg: 5
Voting in an election
Posted: 3/7/2009 1:47:24 PM
The experiment in Venezuela will end very badly. Price control cause shortages of basic goods in Venezuela and they have very high inflation making middle class and working class people poorer. I do not think it is something we should emulate over here.
Show ALL Forums  > Ireland  > Voting in an election