Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > any suggestions to get rid of tennis /golfers elbow      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 e-trig
Msg: 1
any suggestions to get rid of tennis /golfers elbowPage 1 of 1    
I've got a bad case of tennis and golfers elbow in my left elbow. And it's NOT from playing either games . Its actually from over use/stress/etc..
My Family Dr wasn't of much help other than some anti inflammatory meds.. I'm already doing all the other things he suggested.. My other option is going to a sports medicine doctor.. thought I'd ask here and see what people have to say.

Do any of you have any suggestions on like some possible physical therapy exercises for those affected tendons?? Any home remedies?? I'm willing to try anything at this point. A little relief would be awesome!

thanks much
 Rainsands
Msg: 2
any suggestions to get rid of tennis /golfers elbow
Posted: 3/5/2009 10:17:46 PM
I had a recurring problem with the same thing and I despaired of ever being pain free again. My doctor's son had studied acupuncture in chiropractic college and out of total frustration, I asked him to stick the needles in me just for the hell of it. Though I am skeptical about many alternative therapies, I was amazed at how well and how quickly acupuncture worked for me. Also, I have not had a recurrence in the past 6 years.

He inserted about 8 - 12 needles into my forearm to the side of the crook of my elbow. They were left in for 20 minutes and I twirled each needle between my fingertips in a repetitive pattern (this is optional, you don't HAVE to do this). The needles are so thin that there is no pain on insertion and they are only inserted a few millimetres (the reason they are so long is to allow for twirling).

When the needles were withdrawn, that area itched like crazy for about 5 minutes but that reaction is atypical. The tendinitis pain was much reduced for about 24 hours but slowly amped up again. I had 4 treatments in all, 2 per week and that's all it took. I have been pain free since then.

I've been where you are.... do yourself a favour and check it out for yourself. I really hope it works for you as well as it did for me !
 e-trig
Msg: 3
Posted: 3/6/2009 8:06:06 PM
So what's this twirling of the needles all about? Is that suppose to psych your head out and help with the healing process or something? Just curious.

I know there is someone in the area that does acupuncture....may just have to give him a call and check on prices..

thanks for your reply and glad your pain free! :)
e-trig
 crazy4mars
Msg: 4
Posted: 3/7/2009 12:00:23 AM
Accupuncture can help..it works on the meridian lines (energetic lines) that run thru the body. Depending on the severity of your elbow recent injuries it's best to ice to help reduce inflamation usually 5-10min on and off alternating several times. This will help to promote circulation. I find I like to use tiger balm on the area, do mild x-fiber to help loosen the tissue and then apply ice. If this is not coming from exercise it may be a postural condition...such as walking with your palm facing backward, thumb hitting side of leg which would cause a slight shoulder rotation. Try keeping your thumb fwd and palm facing your leg. I would also do some massage from wrist to elbow on the internal and external. You may also want to get an elbow brace and if this is golfers elbow they sell some braces at a pro-shop that have a small air pocket to help support the area. I hope this helps. If this persists you may want to seek medical attention, sports therapist etc.
 kenpoboy
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2009 6:00:10 AM
E-trig:

I have some tendonitis issue in my elbows and shoulders, from over-doing it weight-lifting for many years. I have had to change my routine, going from hi-reps to low-reps to static contractions now. Doing the static contractions (holding a weight at a certain point instead of doing reps) has really helped me.

You didn't mention what it is that has caused your problem, and finding out is key to being able to get help for it. You will have to change what you are doing to stop the damage. Good luck.
Posted: 3/7/2009 6:16:27 AM
Best if you dont use that arm for several days and mobilize it so that it can heal...
 e-trig
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/7/2009 7:27:26 AM

You didn't mention what it is that has caused your problem, and finding out is key to being able to get help for it. You will have to change what you are doing to stop the damage.

Best if you dont use that arm for several days and mobilize it so that it can heal...

Unfortunately this is being caused by what I do for a living. As much as I'd like to.. I can't really take a leave of absence ..lol!! I try to rest it as much as possible.. use the band strap, and rap it up when I know I'll be working it and keep up on the Advil.. I've been looking at those elbow braces and was thinking about trying one. Another thought was maybe going to my massage therapist and have her work my arm over.

thanks for the comments,they are much appreciated
e-trig
 Rainsands
Msg: 8
Posted: 3/7/2009 10:43:44 AM
Twirling acupuncture needles adds extra stimulation at the insertion points to help release endorphins which are the body's natural painkiller.

As is shown in the following summary of efficacy of various acupuncture needle insertion manipulations, rapid twirling afforded a substantially better outcome than some other methods assessed.

Study on Effects of Different Acupuncture Manipulation Methods at Neiguan (PC 6) on Hand Spasm in Stroke Patient

Wang LC, et al. Department of Neurology, Affiliated Hospital of Integrated Chinese Medicine and Western Medicine of Hebei University of Medical Sciences, Cangzhou 061001, China. wanglichun1976@163.com

OBJECTIVE: To observe therapeutic effects of different needling methods at Neiguan (PC 6) on hand spasm in the patient of stroke. METHODS: One hundred and seventy-two cases were randomly divided into a simple acupuncture group (n=36), a slowly twirling needle group (n = 34), a rapidly twirling needle group (n = 30), a simple lifting-thrusting group (n = 35) and a lifting-thrusting-twirling needle group (n = 37). Acupuncture was given at Neiguan (PC 6), twice each day, 5 min each time, and in combination with rehabilitation exercise. Modified Ashworth scale and Fugl-Meyer (FMA) hand function score were used for assessment of therapeutic effects. RESULTS: The transient effective rate and the effective rate after treatment for 8 weeks for hand spasm were 66.7% and 55.6% in the simple acupuncture group, 82.4% and 85.3% in the slowly twirling needle group, 96.7% and 90.0% in the rapidly twirling needle group, 80.0% and 82.9% in the simple lifting-thrusting group and 94.6% and 91.9% in the lifting-thrusting-twirling needle group, the rapidly twirling needle group and the lifting-thrusting-twirling needle group being better than other 3 groups (P 0.05). CONCLUSION: Acupuncture at Neiguan (PC 6) has a very definite transient effect, and the lifting-thrusting-twirling needling manipulation and the rapidly twirling needling manipulation have the best inhibitive effect on spasm.

Zhongguo Zhen Jiu. 2008 Jul;28(7):503-6.

PS ~ Before I tried acupuncture, I had given anti-inflammatories, rest, ice, massage, immobilization braces, and topical analgesics (tiger balm) more than a fair shot. The results were not even close. Not even close to close.
 monalee1
Msg: 9
Posted: 3/9/2009 7:00:09 PM
hi... if this is work related you should have ergonomics people in to assess your repetative motion... if you have coverage you should go to a PT who will have great methods for stengthening and for lengthening so as to combat what is happening at work... some Physiotherapists here in Ont may also have accupuncture certification and on site massage therapists, all that could be covered by your plan... blessings for healing, warmly Mona
 pazoozoo
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2009 9:18:01 PM
I don't have first hand knowledge of this product, but a friend who is a carpenter and had problems with his shoulders and elbow swears by that stuff on tv. The one that is supposedly all natural by someone called Dr. Frank.
 Halokitty™
Msg: 11
Posted: 3/9/2009 10:28:57 PM
Repetitive stress injuries are a pain. I should know. I have tendonitis in both arms from over-using them due to the nature of my job.

The thing I have found that has helped me the most is the anti-inflammatory "diclofenac". I use 100 mg a day. If things get really bad, I splint my wrists. If that doesn't help, I take a day off work to recouperate.

Unfortunately, the only thing that will completely cure a repetitive stress injury is to stop what's causing it for a long time. Over 2 months my physician suggested. Unfortunately, that's not an option for most of us.

My suggestion would be to use splints or a Tensor, ask for a prescription strength anti-inflammatory (if one doesn't work - ask for a different one. It took 3 tries to end up at diclofenac), rest the injury as best and often as you can and try to limit the reason for your injury. In my case, it's typing. I have stopped 90% of my off-work typing since being diagnosed. I used to go home and chat for hours online after typing for 8 hours solid. I don't do that anymore. I find something else to do. Sometimes my wrists feel fine, so I let myself go on the computer when I get home - but I don't overdo it.

Hope this has helped. I know it sucks. :(

Best of luck.
 ~sioux~
Msg: 12
Posted: 3/11/2009 7:21:31 AM
I have no medical evidenec to support this just my own experienec but it might help.
I had a recurrent problem with tennis elbow for many years and the only thing that helped was wearing a support bandage permantly, this would help it heal but at some point I would do something and it would 'go' again.

However since I have been kick boxing I have not had a single reoccurance of it - no matter what I do. It seems the action of boxing is somehow strengthening my arm and preventing further difficulties.
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2009 8:26:59 AM
In my experience there's a couple of ways to go with this common injury.

1, You can rest your elbow for however long it takes to subside. NSAIDS, ice, compression and elevation and stop doing doing whatever it was that caused it.

2. Find an orthopedic doc who's willing to give you a Cortisone injection to your elbow.This injection will eliminate your elbow pain in a matter of minutes but you still should avoid whatever you were doing that caused it in the first place for a time to allow for healing and when you resume take it slow and pay attention so as not to reinjure yourself.
 iyamnot
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2009 6:52:31 AM
Just keep using it. We all have to put up with pain. when you've strained something, then don't use it, it seems to hurt just as much, or more than if you were using it.
found the same thing with a sprained ankle. Baby it too much, and you're laid up longer. Over use it, it'll hurt like hell for a day or two, then maybe the third day, hey !
I can walk. Just grin, and bear it, or Swear, and wear it.
 blueeyedgirlmv
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2009 8:22:28 AM
Have you heard of a product called MonaVie? It is a fruit juice with 19 of the most potent fruits from around the world. It is an amazing product!!!!

Basically if your body is not healing itself, it is suffering from deficiencies in your diet...through evolution our bodies can heal itself of what ails it. Anything that is turning chronic in our bodies, indicates nutritional (fuel) deficiencies are looming and we must increase the quality of our food sources. MonaVie is a convenient form of nutrition that each and every one of us today should be using in order to supplement our poor diets and overwhelming toxins that our bodies are subjected to daily.

If you want more info...just email me. I have learned so much about my own health, which until recently was quite poor....who would've thought a fruit juice could change your life!!!!

Good luck with your journey to recovery!!!!!
 CChauncey
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 5/27/2009 8:57:46 PM
Buy a more flexible racket. On Tennis Warehouse, each racket they sell is assigned a flex rating. You will most likely want a thin beamed racket that is very flexible. Also, add some lead weight to the head and lower your string tension by about 4 to 8 pounds.

I recently got tennis elbow for the first time in my life when I switched to a thinner gauged but stiffer brand of Luxillon strings. I switched back to my old strings, added more weight to my racket, dropped the tension, and now my elbow is good as new. It took a while though.

Good luck.
 Mystie_Dragonfly
Msg: 17
Posted: 5/27/2009 9:38:34 PM
Hi,

I take Glucosamine. Started out taking it for a hurt elbow from weight lifting. Now I take it, not only for the work outs, but because it seems to have helped my other joints (knees, ankles, back, as well as elbows) during walking and work where I am on my feet all day.

I'd suggest it. You can find it in the vitamin and supplements isle.
 lbiker
Msg: 18
Posted: 5/29/2009 5:06:06 PM
Hi

Look up a Medical, Rehabilitative Massage Therapists.
I work on that all the time, No big deal. Its easy to releive.

Sometimes a Hand Therapists can help you also.

The Active Release Technique with Pressure point release is what I have used on several people.

Lbiker
 alv2.0
Msg: 19
Posted: 5/29/2009 7:57:25 PM
Other than resting and icing your arm, there's not much you can do. As has already been mentioned, tennis elbow is due to repetitive strain of your extensors (muscles in your forearm that bring your wrist and fingers up). It's a common condition that's self-limiting, meaning it'll get better on its own, provided you rest your muscles for long enough. But if you don't see yourself resting your arms (since you said this condition stems from your profession), then I suggest you do see a chiropractor to help manage it, and learn some workplace ergonomics in the process.

I feel your pain. Piano-playing, basketball, and volleyball has caused this for me as well.
 Dr. Gazebo
Msg: 20
Posted: 5/29/2009 9:17:28 PM
This almost always arises from doing your sport wrong. Its common, for example, in kayakers who use their arms, rather than their core, to stroke.

The only really good treatment is IMMEDIATE cessation of the activity that caused it, followed by proper ergonomics.

You might have to change jobs, or job descriptions. Keep it up and you might run into a chronic inflammatory condition with attendant fibrosis and limitation of ROM>

As for the Chinese study;

"METHODS: One hundred and seventy-two cases were randomly divided into a simple acupuncture group (n=36), a slowly twirling needle group (n = 34), a rapidly twirling needle group (n = 30), a simple lifting-thrusting group (n = 35"

Notice there was NO control group using sham acupuncture. The Chinese are notorious for publishing really bad data.
 Twill348
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 5/30/2009 9:42:03 PM
Hyaluronic acid. Get the NOW brand, it's cheap and good. (Quality matters in this stuff)Be sure to take it for at least a month.

Hyaluronic acid is the clear fluid in your eyes and joints, provides the cushioning.
 Halokitty™
Msg: 22
Posted: 5/31/2009 10:07:05 PM

Just keep using it. We all have to put up with pain. when you've strained something, then don't use it, it seems to hurt just as much, or more than if you were using it.found the same thing with a sprained ankle. Baby it too much, and you're laid up longer. Over use it, it'll hurt like hell for a day or two, then maybe the third day, hey !
I can walk. Just grin, and bear it, or Swear, and wear it.

This is atrocious advice. Tennis elbow aka tendonitis is not like a sprained ankle. Comparing apples to eggs, my friend. Tendonitis is an inflammation, a chronic inflammation of the tendon; grinning and bearing it does not make it better, it only exacerbates the problem. Tendonitis is not an issue of straining something and thus it won't go away if you just push through the pain.

The inflammation has to have time to dissipate completely and you need to stop whatever it is you're doing that's making it inflamed. If the feasibility for this is nil, then you need to do what you can to lower the intensity of the inflammation.

My tendinitis (tendonitis, can be spelled either way) is due to being a typist who needs to type for 8 hours a day. There's no way I can stop typing, I rely on it for my livelihood. Therefore, I need to minimize the amount of inflammation I get. I have an ergonomic keyboard, a keyboard tray at a very prominent negative degree, I refuse to use the mouse if it can be helped, I splint my wrists, I take anti-inflammatories, and if the pain gets bad enough (and by bad enough, I'm referring to the inability to pick up a pencil sort of pain), then I take time off work to rest up (thank god for sick time).

You cannot just suffer and push through it. It will not go away. The tendon is being irritated and continuing to engage in the activity that it doesn't like is not going to help.
 karmastitious
Msg: 23
Posted: 6/1/2009 5:32:24 PM
Stick your elbow in a bowl of ice and leave it there until you can't stand it anymore. Once your elbow is nice and numb, straighten your arm out with your palm facing up, bend your fingers down and rotate your wrist. This stretches the tendon out. Put a wrap (not too tight) around your forearm about 2-3 inches below the elbow and let it rest. It can take weeks for the tendon to heal up.
Hope this helps.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > any suggestions to get rid of tennis /golfers elbow