Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  > POF Paid 'upgrade'      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 OhNoItsDano
Msg: 1
POF Paid 'upgrade'Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I don't know if any of you read some of the other forums, but I came across this one that I found umm...interesting.

In the next week or so, they're going to offer a paid upgrade to POF. This 'upgrade' will mark your profile as a 'Serious Member' to allow others know you're serious about looking for someone. http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts11916896.aspx

Personally, I've been on paid sites and I see the same people there as I do here...I don't think 'paying' makes any bit of difference to me. I for one would NOT pay for this 'upgrade'.

What's your thoughts on this new upcoming 'feature'?
 winnipeggal74
Msg: 2
POF Paid 'upgrade'
Posted: 3/5/2009 11:00:08 PM
You're right, Dano.
In a city like Winnipeg/Province like Manitoba it's often all the same people on all of the different dating websites, pay or no.

If they aren't "serious" on Lavalife, for instance, how would spending a few bucks on POF make them any more so?

Besides, everyone has a different defintion of what "serious" means when friendship/dating/relationship seeking.
We're all "serious" when the right situation/person comes along. ;)
 Dudleyh45
Msg: 3
POF Paid 'upgrade'
Posted: 3/5/2009 11:15:24 PM
Shoot 'bout all i do is forums, no point payin' fer that. I can throw snowballs at toddlers for free instead.
 susan_cd
Msg: 4
POF Paid 'upgrade'
Posted: 3/5/2009 11:42:41 PM
It'll probably start innocently enough, then they'll start making changes "to serve us better'.

Such as setting limits on the # of posts you can make each day unless you're a paying member. Limiting the number of non-paying members allowed onto the site at any one time, so if the limit is already reached, you get shunted to a page explaining the benefits of being a paid member. Etc, etc.

I wonder, if this "payment" is to show other members you're serious about meeting someone, do you get a refund if you don't end up with someone?
 derrickd23
Msg: 5
POF Paid 'upgrade'
Posted: 3/6/2009 5:21:52 AM
You could change the IE listing to Whore, since your now paying.

jokes jokes jokes no one kill me now!
 TooShadows
Msg: 6
view profile
History
POF Paid 'upgrade'
Posted: 3/6/2009 6:47:15 AM
I found that one as well yesterday. I won't be paying to upgrade my membership as I'm only serious about the forums. Overall I don't think it's going to help much. I agree that there are people on other paid sites who aren't very serious so paying a membership isn't going to make them any more serious. How does just paying a fee prove that someone is serious about dating?
 SpunkyPector
Msg: 7
view profile
History
POF Paid 'upgrade'
Posted: 3/6/2009 7:40:37 AM

Besides, everyone has a different defintion of what "serious" means when friendship/dating/relationship seeking.
We're all "serious" when the right situation/person comes along. ;)

I agree with this statement wholeheartedly
Also if someone is only out to get laid & not actually find someone they'd be happy with for a relationship...why wouldn't they pay?

If this actually happens, & those of us who've been here FOREVER ...my question will be "are we viewed as not serious if we don't pay?" hmmm
I certainly wouldn't pay for something that hasn't been working for over 3 years, so why would I pay to make someone else think I'm serious? There are many who are not what they claim to be as it is, so seriously does the big guy truly believe this will help clear out the rifraf? Not gonna happen... you'll just end up with another breed of rifraf.
Much as it's nice to view people who're in the same boat ~ when it really comes down to it...face to face is the only way to know if any relationship will work.
Enjoy your day Y'all
Keep Smilin`
 redsss
Msg: 8
view profile
History
POF Paid 'upgrade'
Posted: 3/6/2009 11:47:02 AM
I agree with Dano .

I will not be paying either!
 Traditional Woman
Msg: 9
POF Paid 'upgrade'
Posted: 3/6/2009 2:22:31 PM
Forget it, I wouldn't pay for a membership.....like almost everyone on this page I'm only here for the forums and occasionally receive or send an email to those on my favorites list!
 printer2
Msg: 10
POF Paid 'upgrade'
Posted: 3/6/2009 3:39:40 PM
With a paid membership would we be able to have fun in the forums again?

What is keeping this site on line is advertising. The more people who visit the site and decide to try out the the other pay sites the more income generated. Either not enough people are trying the other sites or there is more profit running a paid site.

I can not see how someone would want to pay for one site and then decide to pay for another. Unless of course they are 'very serious' about meeting someone.

The point of this upgrade is to allow you to show the community you are here and you are serious about meeting someone and not looking for an ego boost or to chat all day.

I am sure there are enough 'serious people' who would think $30 is a small price to pay for instant credibility. Especially the scam artists, women looking for a free meal, men looking for a quick piece, any nut job that has an extra $30 in their pocket.

How about some 'Real Serious People' for $50? Or a gold star for the Really, Really, Really Serious People' for $100?

Every man has got to eat and I would not fault the administrator for trying to make a few extra bucks. I see this as no different as other sites have done in years back where they had different levels of membership and you paid for more kicks at the can.

Eventually they drove the fun people away to the point where the sites became too serious and after a while no one bothered taking a chance on each other.

Oh yeah, the question. I work in a place with thousands of women. I have a better chance of getting serious there than here.
 redsss
Msg: 11
view profile
History
POF Paid 'upgrade'
Posted: 3/6/2009 4:08:32 PM
Just because someone pays to be a member doesn't mean that he/she isn't going to play the games that some of the people on this site do.
 A Purrrfect Pisces
Msg: 12
POF Paid 'upgrade'
Posted: 3/6/2009 4:40:23 PM
If they want payment for membership then they'll have to up what they offer. Perhaps a system of matching like eharmony does. All the eharmony commercials say people on eharmony meet the person they'll eventually marry because of their matching system and the folks say they would not have met that person otherwise - hey, I've seen it on tv so it must be true .........

PP

Yea - I'll not be paying ........... I'd rather continue to meet weird and freaky people for free thank you very much .......
 OhNoItsDano
Msg: 13
POF Paid 'upgrade'
Posted: 3/6/2009 4:45:23 PM
I'd never pay for a place that would have me for a member!
 printer2
Msg: 14
POF Paid 'upgrade'
Posted: 3/6/2009 4:47:10 PM
Just read some posts on the original POF Paid 'upgrade' thread. I do not know how true this is but it was interesting to see.

These are numbers from WebsiteOutlook on PlentyofFish:

Net Worth : $5.86 Million Last updated 11 Days ago
Daily Pageview : 2676399
Daily Ads Revenue : $8031.65

OhNoItsDano
Msg: 15
POF Paid 'upgrade'
Posted: 3/6/2009 4:59:40 PM
Yup, sounds about right...In an interview with him on TV about a year ago, apparently he was making 200k-300k/month from GoogleAds. Granted, there's overhead costs involved of hosting the site, but it's a pretty good take.
 thorndyke
Msg: 16
POF Paid 'upgrade'
Posted: 3/6/2009 7:11:23 PM
Perhaps it is intended as a revenue replacement when all the advertisers stop buying ad space due to the alleged economic downturn.
 TEMPT YOUR KHARMA
Msg: 17
view profile
History
POF Paid 'upgrade'
Posted: 3/7/2009 7:34:12 AM
Gee! If POF is getting that hard up, why doesn't it just go out sell all our personal information to whoever wants it. I mean if it was almost done by one Internet Group why not another?
 FoxInSox2
Msg: 18
POF Paid 'upgrade'
Posted: 3/7/2009 11:40:51 AM
Possiblity A: a large enough company will offer enough cash to the current owners, and it'll become a full pay site. Then it will quietly fade to oblivion as membership dwindles. It's the nature of the internet.

Possibility B: advertisers will gradually crawl into every corner of the site like weeds, until half the screen is spam. Then the site will quietly...yeah you know the rest.

Possibility C: The site will go the way of Eharmony, and have limited options for non-paying members. And I cannot *wait* until Eharmony implodes...friggen' pawnsy scheme.

Possibility D: Everything will stay the same, but something bigger, glitzier and catchier will come along. Something always does.

Have a great day!
 OmbreRose2
Msg: 19
POF Paid 'upgrade'
Posted: 3/7/2009 2:44:07 PM
I won't pay for an upgrade.... not worth it as I feel I am intellegiant enough to figure out quickly enough who is serious or not. Who is in to me or not....

The only thing that gold star does is not allow advertisement in your profile. It is just a sticker that says your serious. Hummmmmmmm wonder how many will abuse that little tidbet..... Totally agree with you Dano
 TooShadows
Msg: 20
view profile
History
POF Paid 'upgrade'
Posted: 3/7/2009 3:32:04 PM
Considering how many men are on sites like AFF,it makes you wonder if most of the guys who do upgrade are going to be in the "intimate encounter" category. Then they're sure to get laid when the women know they're "serious".
 printer2
Msg: 21
POF Paid 'upgrade'
Posted: 3/7/2009 4:02:01 PM
I am sure they can have a paid 'serious' upgrade on Adult Friend Finder (At first I drew a blank and had to google AFF ), and they can have a 'serious' upgrade on here not looking for intimate encounters to cover all bases.
 Traditional Woman
Msg: 22
POF Paid 'upgrade'
Posted: 3/7/2009 4:13:53 PM
lol...........Couple of mos., I was considering joining AFF until I went to the site and kinda figured out it was a Adult 'fun' friendfinder site...........here I thought I was gonna go make me some more friends.............
 MyKidsDad66
Msg: 23
view profile
History
POF Paid 'upgrade'
Posted: 3/7/2009 7:09:48 PM
Awwww...is someone feeling persecuted?

C'mon over here and let me give you a big eHug. There, doesn't that feel better?

Good thing you aren't paying AND being bullied.
 Content2BeMe
Msg: 24
POF Paid 'upgrade'
Posted: 3/7/2009 7:48:15 PM
Let me point out the obvious first... many of us came to this site because it is a free site to meet people in our area. If POF turns into a paid site I am sure they will see a considerable decrease in membership. Markus stress' how he created this site to be a "FREE" site.

My name is Markus and I created plentyoffish.com because I was tired of seeing faceless corporate dating sites preying on singles. Finding love is not about handing over a monthly fee to a dating site that only care about making sure you stay another month to pay them again.

What happened Markus? Hmmm sounds like your wanting to become one of those faceless corporate dating sites!!!

Of course this is just my personal opinion!!!!!
 Dance in Beauty
Msg: 25
POF Paid 'upgrade'
Posted: 3/8/2009 8:18:11 AM
It's the POWER!!!

It's not the power of suggestion anymore; it's the power of more money. Almost like a fresh politician who initially has good intensions but after being in it for a while all the good intensions fly out the door.

Well seriously now...I am seriously looking for someone to be serious with had to plug myself before I have to start paying
Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  > POF Paid 'upgrade'