Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Serious Member / Paid Upgrade Thread - Are we a tad spoiled by POF an      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Tall, Young and Fabulous!
Msg: 1
Serious Member / Paid Upgrade Thread - Are we a tad spoiled by POF and a bit ungrateful for its services?Page 1 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
It seems odd to me that some people are up in arms over this new 'serious member' option. For a long time now, many of us have been able to utilize this site COMPLETELY free of charge, and we absolutely are STILL able to access all areas of this site free of charge. The only difference is there is now an option to pay a nominal fee so as to possibly make ourselves stand out a little more amongst the crowd.

There seems to be NO hidden agenda, NO bs re-current credit card charges and NO restrictions on which features users can utilize.

Are we a tad spoiled by POF and a bit ungrateful for its services?

POF remains the most user friendly and cost friendly dating site on the web. I've explored other dating sites, only to find that the results pale in comparison to POF and I've heard the same feedback from many friends and associates. For example, I joined a highly advertised dating site (cost me approx $60) and got very few contacts in the first 3 months. Once I allowed my membership to lapse, I suddenly received a SLEW of emails from potential suitors - the catch was that I'd have to re-new my membership to the tune of $60 to read the emails PLUS various charges for their ridiculous 'extra special features' such as 'who viewed me' etc. A coincidence? I don't think so.

Markus Frind is still honouring his initial mission with this site, by still allowing EVERYONE to use all features of the site with no restrictions, free of charge. Keep in mind that he could have very easily jumped on the 'pay site' bandwagon and tried to exploit people's desire to find a soulmate but he did not, and there's a lot to be said for that.

TYF

sexyfunguy
Msg: 2
Posted: 3/9/2009 12:02:41 AM
Yes, I too was a bit surprised by the vitrol that people responded with to the issue. The differences between the free and pay versions weren't significant, so I didn't really see why people got so uppity about.
 derrickd23
Msg: 3
Posted: 3/9/2009 8:15:48 AM
Atleast someone steps up. he is running a biz also, but he still lets us use it for free, if he ever takes that away, then ya roast him! another thing, the mods/admins on POF are good, i msged one with a tiny issue, and i got an msg back (not a automatic msg, one that was writtien) withen the hour. thats pretty damm good.

the sits good, and I hope the owner makes tons of cash, he deserves it!
 Mizz Demeanor
Msg: 4
Posted: 3/9/2009 8:24:55 AM
There will always be those that cannot tell the difference between
a Right and a Priveledge.

For 6 years now this site has been used Free of charge, and rather
than be grateful & offer up suggestions they b*tch & moan instead.

Admin has a very valid point. This site is not taken seriously as a dating site because
there are so many flakes on here. The reason they remain is....its Free. To offer an
Upgrade that would somehow indicate to other Like-minded members that these people
are at least looking for the same thing, seems reasonable.
Makes good business sense to at least try it and see.
The free services still remain to the rest of the membership, so no one is losing anything.

Right now....If I was admin....I'd start charging to use the forums instead.
That would shut some people up.

~mizz
 Silent Steel
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2009 8:45:04 AM
The only reason there was such a back lash to the "serious member" thing, is because Admin. posted a thread asking what people thought. Based on that fact, the responses cant be labled as people pissing and moaning.

Since every thread that has been started that discusses the "upgrade" is being closed down by moderators, what isnt being said is coming through louder then what is being said.

If I am not mistaken...the dating site, and the forums, are basically two different sites.

It still cracks me up that they chose "serious member" as the title of paid customers. Especially when "member" is a word that also refers to the penis.
 Mizz Demeanor
Msg: 6
Posted: 3/9/2009 10:06:05 AM
because Admin. posted a thread asking what people thought

Except for the Yes/No poll, nowhere in that thread did Admin ask what people though of the feature. I read it carefully....more than once.
What he did was introduce it, and try to explain some of the business logic
behind his decision.

what isnt being said is coming through louder then what is being said.

Once Admin shut down his original thread, the mods would just follow his lead.
All the information about the feature is listed for anyone's reading pleasure on
the Upgrade page.

.the dating site, and the forums, are basically two different sites.

Two rooms in the same house, belonging to the same person.
He could just as easily get rid of the forums all together and it would
barely affect his numbers

. Especially when "member" is a word that also refers to the penis.

And the backlash from some of the people in the original thread, only proved
that some are bigger 'members' than others.

For people that are not interested in Upgrading their profile....don't. It's quite
easy. What I do take exception to is the insults that were thrown at him/the idea/his $$.
The sky was not falling....yet people were ready, torches in hand to slay the greedy monster. Talk about over-reaction.
If Admin is looking for another revenue source to prop up my free
usage of this site....why the hell would I get twisted about it. It's one of the
better ideas he's come up with....and might actually increase the number of
connections that are made through this site.

Ultimately you never know , if you don't try.
I hope it works out & continues to keep it free for me.

~mizz
 sexyfunguy
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/9/2009 10:47:30 AM
Rarely does reducing functionality improve the quailty of a service. Unless one can make a strong business point for eliminating the forums (unlikely given that they generate more traffic in the form of repeat visits =regular body of potential customers = ***advertising dollars****)
 Lori922
Msg: 8
Posted: 3/9/2009 10:49:48 AM
Love to see supporters for the new upgrade ... actions speak louder than words...when are you fine folks going to put your money where your mouth is?
 RobInManchester
Msg: 9
Posted: 3/9/2009 11:31:32 AM
He is running a biz that he says gets him about $10million a year. It is not free. It is advertising supported.

Not saying that he doesn't earn his money, but let's just not pretend he is doing this out of the goodness of his heart please.

He had a good business model, I am a little surprised that he is changing it unless it is becoming less successful.

Has anyone heard anything solid about revenue being down because if he really is making 10 million a year and he has decided that isnt enough then yes, that is simply greedy. It is his site though, he is welcome to do whatever he likes.
 RobInManchester
Msg: 10
Posted: 3/9/2009 11:37:23 AM

Admin has a very valid point. This site is not taken seriously as a dating site because
there are so many flakes on here. The reason they remain is....its Free. To offer an
Upgrade that would somehow indicate to other Like-minded members that these people
are at least looking for the same thing, seems reasonable.
Makes good business sense to at least try it and see.
The free services still remain to the rest of the membership, so no one is losing anything.

Oh, so you really do believe that it has nothing to do with declining membership/clickthru rates/ad rates and thus declining revenue?

And you seriously believe that there won't be a steady decrease in the quality of service for "free" users?

That strikes me as slightly naive.
 sexyfunguy
Msg: 11
Posted: 3/9/2009 12:35:09 PM
To tell you the truth, I believe the reason why this issue came up probably has to do with the fact that we are in a recession, and advertisers are becoming less consistent with their willingness to part with their money. The admin is looking into alternative revenue sources.
 Silent Steel
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2009 12:37:07 PM
This site does not have the customer service, to jusity charging.

POF would be pretty boring if they got rid of the forums. Without the forums, you would not have the meet and greet parties that are set up by members. That would leave messages and a dismal IM system, as the only way to keep this site interactive, and we have seen the amout of complaints those generate.
 totally4
Msg: 13
Posted: 3/9/2009 2:36:39 PM
Personaly I don't see a problem with him offering a paid service, don't get me wrong it's not something that I will upgrade to at the moment however if someone chooses to then that is their choice.

Nobody is being forced to upgrade, everybody can still message other users and see all the profiles so wheres the problem.

As mentioned above times are not good at the moment with paid advertising so it makes sence to look for other ways to make money and if it keeps the site free for other users then great, lets start our moaning when he starts restricting how many messages we can send a day or how meny replies we can read.

Good luck Admin and thanks for a great FREE site
 restless_native
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2009 5:19:00 PM
Personally I think this whole thing is being blown out of all proportion.

I imagine the majority of users of this site don't really give a toss one way or the other as this is simply a website that they may dip into occasionally and it probably just isn't that important to them.
 forumeow
Msg: 15
Posted: 3/9/2009 7:20:41 PM
I think it's going to be interesting to see what happens down the road with this... I can't imagine too many people paying for a tag and a background color, it seems like it would be more likely to sell if there were other features that the paying members had. Maybe the often-asked-for ability to remove individual users from any future searches?

It seemed to me that a lot of the anger in that dread thread was because of the implied insult by calling paying members "Serious Members." Does that make someone who doesn't pay a Frivolous Member? A Lackadaisical Member?

I think the it wouldn't have felt as offensive if he had called it "VIP Membership" or something like that... he could still have touted it as "seriously looking members" (hey, maybe add that category as something only a paid member can select?).

I'm going to continue to think of it like ebay... You pay a little extra to post a premium listing. OK, I don't do that there, either, I simply make sure that my item title and description are comprehensive enough that potential buyers find my listing when they search. I think that analogy works pretty well here, too. ~Shrug~

Bottom line is it's his site, his rules, we accept it or we leave. As long as I can still come here and read and post to the forums, I'll probably still come here and read and post to the forums.
 James__T
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/9/2009 9:00:37 PM
im curious why all the posts related to ppl expressing thier feelings towards this "paying" option have been deleted?... wheres the free speech option

also 95% of the ads on this site are for other dating sites. seems strange to me that your making money from them but complaining there taking your users away lol...
 SLAFFA
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2009 9:01:46 PM
YES, undoubtedly, to answer your question.

And the people who were "insulted" by the original thread are NEVER going to have their minds changed, are they? Hardly! SOME of them will be paying members in the next couple of months, most likely simply because of their backward logic... that if THEY don't have the S.M. badge, OTHER people will assume THEY are not serious. WHAT?

I think a lot of THOSE people think of themselves as LOYAL members. Well Duh! You get to do EVERYTHING you want here for free. And have been doing it for how long? And will STILL be able to as Markus FINALLY announced in message #480 I believe, a serious error in judgement IMO and just one of many reasons for all the disgruntled folks.

Forum members make up a miniscule fraction of the giant Fish school so he really had no need to even announce it there but it WAS the ONLY place he was assured of getting feedback. Does anyone really believe we would have all these IRATE Forum people if Markus had simply said:
1] I am rolling out an OPTIONAL Upgrade next week. Everyone here will STILL be able to do EVERTHING that you have enjoyed doing since the inception of this sight. There will NOT be a fee for anything you currently do.

2] The upgrade will make your profile Stand Out. See below pics for what a typical profile would look like and HOW it would show up on various pages IF you decide to upgrade. See pricing chart below for Payment options.

3] This an OPTIONAL upgrade. If you feel it will help in your search for YOUR special Fish, why not give it a try?

Please feel free to comment below.

IF he had posted that, how many Forum people would be bent out of shape? People are letting his WORDS cloud their judgement. IF one thinks it will or MIGHT help them? Try it. If you don't want to try it? Just go back to doing what you were doing. Nobody has demanded that you pay anything. It WON"T affect you. Unless YOU think that NOT having it makes YOU less serious.
 James__T
Msg: 18
Posted: 3/9/2009 9:39:00 PM
I emailed a chick simply to say "you actually paid for a free site lol" she emailed back with no clue to what i was talking about, apparently she didn't pay for it at all and didn't even know she was a "serious member"

at any rate that doesn't seem fair that she got it free while i would have to pay out 60 bucks. some rip off.

so when are they gonna change the "100% free dating" slogan on the top of the page. cant they get sued for false advertising?
 markus
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2009 9:40:06 PM
Well one stat that isn't skewed is everyone with a gold star triples their profile views. Will be intersting to see how this progresses.
 James__T
Msg: 20
Posted: 3/9/2009 9:47:51 PM
more views doesn't help if people don't find you attractive or you have nothing interesting to say in your profile.

so instead of randomly giving profiles this upgrade free of charge you should have just left it up to the users themselves to see if anyone would actually pay for it.

then you would clearly see NO one will
I would bet 100% of the current gold profiles are all plants from POF. theres no way anybody would buy this lol
 James__T
Msg: 21
Posted: 3/9/2009 10:01:09 PM

Remember that we are the largest 100% free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

enough said? lol I mean they state this very clearly
 Ideoform
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2009 10:04:31 PM

"Love to see supporters for the new upgrade ... "

I've been using the upgrade and it has been really nice. I have already said that I would pay for an upgrade, but I suggested that the payments be made only every three months.

It removes/replaces the advertising next to my photo, which, I have to say, some of it has been rather not to my taste...

I have an increased number of "points."

I have gotten at least triple the number of e-mails since it started. And these are people who seem "serious" if that is something you can really pin down...

I guess it works. I didn't think it would change much about how I experience the site, but I am starting to "feel more serious" already. I had been joking about it on my profile, by putting a gold smiley on my introduction line, but now I have to say its worked...go figure.

I think it might be the novelty. But perhaps there is more to it than that, since the e-mails I am getting are people who actually have something in common with me, which before was usually not the case.

Maybe its the appearance of seriousness that makes people think I have been verified somehow...even though no background checks were done on me or anything. Although I suppose anyone can Google me and see if I am a criminal if they had my real name, which they do have on file somewhere from when I signed up.

I wish BigFish would use the extra money to advertise a little more. There are way more great Canadians on here and I can't move to Canada. Milwaukee doesn't seem to know about this site much. We tend to be such sticks in the mud around here. (No offense intended.)

Or he could use the money to help me meet more Canadians by contributing to my travel fund.

I have referred several people to this site, but I am only one person...where's my "PoF Gold Member " bumper sticker?
 Ideoform
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2009 10:14:46 PM

"And I'm dying for these people to come post on how they've gotten a ton of emails solely asking about the gold serious member thing rather than to express genuine interest in them in terms of dating."

OK. One of the e-mails has asked about the gold dots. He sounded like he wanted to sign up. All the others (about a dozen) have been only comments about me and my profile, showing a real interest, from what I can tell.

Time will tell if after the novelty wears off I am truly a "satisfied serious member."

I have put "Gold Members" as one of my interests, but it hasn't gotten underlined yet. I'm waiting for that...

I'd settle for Goldfingers, Goldtoes, Gold eyelashes, too.
 James__T
Msg: 24
Posted: 3/9/2009 10:35:50 PM
it would be great if someone can explain to me how they justify 100% free when did 74.97 stand for 0$? lol

im not complaining though if all the upgrade does is remove a tiny ad that i don't even look at to start with lol . i just cant believe people buy into this kind of thing.

and my last point is if your looking for someone "serious" simply filter your search results to only show people looking for "long term" or does this just make to much sense
 Tall, Young and Fabulous!
Msg: 25
Posted: 3/9/2009 10:39:26 PM

And the backlash from some of the people in the original thread, only proved
that some are bigger 'members' than others.

Mizz,

LOL I love it, perfect response to the idiocy. I agreed with everything you said, it was very well put, especially the part about some people not understanding the difference between a right and a privilege.

For those who have mentioned that perhaps the new feature is an additional way for the owner to make more money due to the recession, less traffic, and fewer advertisers - you might want to do some research.

POF has a google page rank of 6 out of 10 which is excellent. eBay has a rank of 8 and Facebook has a rank of 9, and those are two of the busiest sites on the web, so a 6 is absolutely excellent. I wouldn't be surprised to see POF go up to a 7 later this month when google does their update.

According to Alexa.com, POF is the 39TH MOST POPULAR SITE IN CANADA - that is beyond excellent. The traffic rank for the US is 136, again very good.

Those types of stats are very difficult to achieve, whomever is behind the SEO is a freakin' genius and any enterprising business that can afford to advertise on POF, would be silly not to.

And like hello, the revenue from the 'serious member' costs is pocket change compared to advertising revenue.

TYF
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Serious Member / Paid Upgrade Thread - Are we a tad spoiled by POF and a bit ungrateful for its services?