Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  > Love: It's The Natural High - a Chemical Addiction - by John S. Sturt      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 john4219
Msg: 1
Love: It's The Natural High - a Chemical Addiction - by John S. SturtevantPage 1 of 1    
Love: It's The Natural High - a Chemical Addiction - by John S. Sturtevant - Mar 3, 2009

Scientists are finding that, after all, love really is down to a chemical addiction between people!

The neurochemical pathways that regulate social attachments may help to deal with defects in people's ability to form relationships - so having a relationship is all chemical? so there is something afterall to this thing called chemistry? lol :-)

Some people go to great lengths to get drugs, but why bother when these active chemicals are just waiting to be released in your body? Having an orgasm is like getting high. By releasing a myriad of substances into your bloodstream, you are altering your brain and body functions. Orgasms involve a complex interaction between three systems of the body: the vascular system, the nervous system, and the endocrine system. They are so complicated that it's a miracle that they happen at all. So enjoy them and remember to have as many as possible.

The brains of people deeply in love do not look like those of people experiencing strong emotions, but instead like those of people snorting coke. Love, in other words, uses the neural mechanisms that are activated during the process of addiction. "We are literally addicted to love," Dr Young observes.

Oxytocin is known as the "cuddling hormone" because it causes you to feel a connection and bond with your lover. Oxytocin is a brain chemical associated with pair bonding. In humans, oxytocin is released during hugging and pleasant physical touch, and plays a part in the human sexual response cycle. Oxytocin is released in men and women during sexual orgasm. Oxytocin is produced mainly in the hypothalamus, where it is either released into the blood via the pituitary gland, or to other parts of the brain and spinal cord, where it binds to oxytocin receptors to influence behavior and physiology.

Gazing into your lover’s eyes isn’t only romantic; it may also mimic early attachments that forever alter your brain and body. We know that the eye-to-eye communication—which is affected by oxytocin—is critical to intimate emotional communication for all kind of emotions – love, fear, trust, anxiety."

Endorphins are a group of neurotransmitters formed within the body that bind to opiate receptor sites in your brain to naturally relieve pain. The bio-chemicals acetylcholine and dopamine are known as endorphins, and have a similar chemical structure to morphine. They are also known to lower stress and boost confidence.

So next time your woman hassles you over passing out post-sex, you know it's the endorphins at work. In fact, you can even argue that the faster you fall asleep, the better the sex was!

Of note, endorphins are released by your brain during sex, sporting activities, skydiving, fights, grievous injuries, and almost any other exhilarating activity you partake in. Orgasm is the biggest blast of dopamine (legally) available to us. A Dutch scientist recently scanned the brains of people having orgasm. He said they resembled scans of heroin rushes.

Orgasms and addictions have two things in common. They both produce an initial pleasurable experience, and both are followed by an unpleasant hangover. The sexual satiation (orgasm) hangover is innate. It can be such a subtle part of you that you do not connect the dots--unless you switch to making love without it for several weeks, and then go back to sex with orgasm. "What goes up must come down." It’s simple biology; body systems must return to balance, or homeostasis. What goes up and down in this case is your dopamine. That can play havoc with your mood and the way in which you perceive, and treat, your partner.

Oxytocin and dopamine are the yin and yang of bonding and love. You need both acting on the reward circuitry at ideal levels to stay in love. Making love with lots of affection, without the dopamine-driven highs and lows of conventional sex, seems to keep neurochemical levels balanced. The more oxytocin you produce, the more receptive you are to it.

Adrenaline activates the sympathetic nervous system, which increases your heart rate and dilates arteries to increase blood flow to your muscles during sex. It also causes a refractory period in which another orgasm is impossible for up to 20 minutes after sex. During intercourse, increased amounts of adrenaline are released from the adrenal glands. This chemical amplifies the circulatory system with each heart contraction.

Phenylethylamine triggers the release of dopamine in the pleasure centers of the brain. This chemical is released during sex and peaks at orgasm. Curiously, it is also one of the chemicals found in chocolate.

Testosterone fuels sexual drive and aggression. It is essential to your libido and sexual arousal. Men (and women) with a testosterone deficiency often have trouble getting aroused and have a lower interest in sex.

Serotonin regulates your moods. Having an orgasm releases an extra shot of serotonin to your brain, which acts as an anti-depressant.

Estrogen has well-documented actions on several neurotransmitter systems, including serotonergic, adrenergic, and cholinergic pathways and receptors. Estrogen is considered to play a significant role in women’s mental health as well as sexual healthy libido, as well as many other functions, this hormone is present in both females as well as males.

The real magic of love happens at a neurochemical level - and we can choose balance in order to foil the extremes of Mother Nature's plan. In fact Lisa Zamosky in her recent article Chemical Bond of Love in WebMD - says; having sex, makes us want more sex.

My favorite peice that that repeat over and over and over in my articles from Melissa and Keith is:

If you don't devote enough "US TIME" , then you will start to lack "intimate time". Along with that goes talk time, emotional health, .... you get the picture! There has to be PLENTY of intimate time !!!! That can't be put on the back burner all the time. There may be times, like when the kids are awake, but you should try to find time for that! If you have a good love life. then you will be more able to devote more time and effort to other things!

All things have to be worked on .... It is an on-going everyday work in progress. That's life! It's about family values, commitment, respect, patience, love, honesty, and putting God first! It's a team effort to put everthing together and make it work. There has to be compromises from time to time! Just don't compromise God's time! - now moving on!

Progress in predicting the outcome of relationships, and information about the genetic roots of fidelity, might also make proposing marriage more like a job application — with associated medical, genetic and psychological checks. If it were reliable enough, would insurers cover you for divorce? And as brain scanners become cheaper and more widely available, they might go from being research tools to something that anyone could use to find out how well they were loved. Will the future bring answers to questions such as: Does your partner really love you? Is your husband lusting after the au pair?

Nah in less than three minutes chemistry will win out!!!!! Cum play with our chemistry sets please - we will have a blast! LOL :-)

Sources:

'Love Hormone' Promotes Bonding: Could It Treat Anxiety?
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/02/080208172104.htm -

SCIENCE WATCH - The two faces of oxytocin
http://www.apa.org/monitor/feb08/oxytocin.html

Your Brain on Sex
http://www.reuniting.info/science/sex_in_the_brain

Chemicals That Fuel Your Sex Life
http://www.askmen.com/dating/love_tip_250/271_love_tip.html

I get a kick out of you
http://www.oxytocin.org/oxytoc/love-science.html

Estrogen Makes the Brain a Sex Organ
http://www.psychiatrist.com/pcc/brainstorm/br5810.htm

Estrogen
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estrogen

WebMD - Chemical Bond of Love - by Lisa Zamosky
http://www.webmd.com/lisa-zamosky
 Bluez
Msg: 2
Love: It's The Natural High - a Chemical Addiction - by John S. Sturtevant
Posted: 3/14/2009 10:04:35 AM
... and your question is???

Bluez
 MsMicki
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2009 10:06:23 AM
someone figured out how to copy and paste out of articles online.....
 hamango
Msg: 4
Posted: 3/14/2009 2:43:10 PM
Do you know the name of the chemical in those orange Circus Peanut candies that makes me want to put my finger in a woman's belly button? It's probably one of the ones you mentioned. Google was no help. I did find some interesting pictures though.
 Uncle Fist
Msg: 5
Posted: 3/14/2009 3:48:00 PM
I didn't read all that, but I just had to comment with, "Yeah, I know. Interesting stuff, huh?"

Romantic love is essentially a natural recreational drug. Use all of the same rules if you're going to indulge in it. Know the potential consequences, and be sure to keep it under your control. If it gets out of hand, it can literally kill you.
 allthatglittersisnotgold
Msg: 6
Posted: 3/14/2009 5:49:39 PM
I would like to know what having sex all the time means too then because this describes me when I was getting it on with a friend of mine but was not in love. I would say lust can be called the natural high as well. The more we made out the more addicted to sex I was with him. Now 2 years later and me breaking that cycle, I don't crave the sex. I miss it though but I know when I get it again I will be addicticted to it.
Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  > Love: It's The Natural High - a Chemical Addiction - by John S. Sturtevant