Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > "Do you like bubble gum?" Any special meaning?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Aiwoba
Msg: 1
"Do you like bubble gum?" Any special meaning?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Hi,

I just received an email from a guy that I've known for a couple monthes as normal friend from work, and recently we're co-operating to do a job together, and we have exchanged a couple of simple emails to discuss how to arrange things for the job, and today I received a email from him, and at the end of the email, he posed a strange question "Do you like bubble gum? :p" I don't understand why he asked this? I'm not a native English speaker, I wonder if this question has a special meaning in western culture? I'm just a bit confused, or maybe I just think too much...

Thanks in advance for reply.
 UrsulaMajor
Msg: 2
Do you like bubble gum? Any special meaning?
Posted: 3/26/2009 10:11:21 PM
Maybe he just wanted to buy you a pack of watermelon Bubblicious.

So do you like bubblegum or not?
 DSV2
Msg: 3
Posted: 3/26/2009 10:14:00 PM
No special western meaning.It is a rather odd question.
It would be appropriate to ask why he would ask.
He may simply want to share if he has some or thinks it's a creative way to break the ice so to speak on the project you're embarking on.
 Aiwoba
Msg: 4
Posted: 3/26/2009 11:03:03 PM
I agree with you. Probably he just wanted to creative way to break the ice. Actually he is in charge of the project, and we're going to have a small travel together, and he supposes to drive me there... Anyway, I do like bubble gum, so I asked back how he knew I liked bubble gum... :)

I think I did think too much. Thanks for your answers!
 I Cornelius
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 3/26/2009 11:16:55 PM
I consulted the oh so trusty Urban Dictionary and apparently "Bubble Gum" can be used as slang for either "a type of marijuana," "oral sex" or "vagina."

There are other meanings listed, but I have a feeling if he DIDN'T really just mean actual bubble gum, he meant one of those three.

"So I asked back how he knew I liked bubble gum?"

Makes that statement all the funnier, now doesn't it?
 Aiwoba
Msg: 6
Posted: 3/26/2009 11:31:21 PM
Oh my... I thought it'd been clear for the question... now after reading your post, I got confused again... I asked this question, because in some asian countries as a slang bubble gum could be related to or used to imply BJ... normally guys wouldn't ask or make joke at girls if she likes bubble gum if they are not too familiar each other... Sorry, I get a bit confused again...
 red_relaxed
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/26/2009 11:39:17 PM
Couldn't keep enough water based bubblegum flavoured lube on the shelves.
Top seller!
 soliebtdielerche
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 3/26/2009 11:43:41 PM
Wow ... a woman's overthinking, getting the best of her. But bubble gum? What is the world coming to?

Him: "I like bubble gum. Do you?"
Her (thinking): Does this have some hidden meaning? Does this mean his feelings for me are different than blah blah blah and that I am just a friend or does it blah blah blah he feels comfortable enough to talk about subjects like bubble gum blah blah or does he feel like he is not ready for an emotional bond blah blah and he just uses that question about bubble gum thing to distract me from his disinterest blah blah ...
Him: "What are you thinking about?"
Her: Nothing.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 3/26/2009 11:51:56 PM
~OT~ I've been feeling "out of the loop" for a while. Geezus, I'm clearly not versed on how this all works today. What does it mean if he asks if I like gummy bears? Or worse? Twizzlers.
 I Cornelius
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 3/27/2009 12:49:26 AM
^^ Also according to Urban Dictionary:

gummi bear
receiving oral sex from someone without teeth or one who was taken their false teeth and/or dentures out to perform the act.
"Yo man, your grandma just gave me a gummi bear"

twizzler
the act of crossing the index and middle fingers and inserting them into a woman's vagina with a deep thrust.
"she never called me back after i gave her the twizzler last week."

I love that site.
 nonsensical
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 3/27/2009 2:45:46 AM
Good Grief, I thought this was about Bazooka and the funny little comics they used to have.
I will never look at a candy counter in the same way.
 Zuglo
Msg: 12
Posted: 3/27/2009 4:49:41 AM
He wanted to know if you can blow...a bubble..
That Urban Dictionary..Guess I better watch what I ask from now on, eh?
Even an innocent question could mean I am asking something sexual..
 spicynicegirl
Msg: 13
Posted: 3/27/2009 6:10:23 AM
Some guys have a cute way about them and are more creative than others when it comes to talking to females. I would take it as a simple thing and leave it at that. As others have said he was possibly using it as an icebreaker.
 LuvTravl
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 3/27/2009 6:16:12 AM
Urban Dictionary? OMG. I don't even want to ASK about chocolate!
 Goldengirl121
Msg: 15
Posted: 3/27/2009 7:45:45 AM
Heyyyyyyyyy what about gobstoppers!! :O lmao
 aprilrain2311
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/27/2009 8:19:06 AM
Jawbreakers.....
 GoneSailinBabe
Msg: 17
Posted: 3/27/2009 8:23:13 AM
Whoppers?
Hot Tamales?
Tic Tacs?
Snickers?

The felatio lingo is endless..........

It's official there's nothing men and women can discuss without sex entering in it.
 blonde chickie
Msg: 18
Posted: 3/27/2009 8:26:41 AM
I have Urban Dictionary in my faves

As for the question about bubble gum, who knows why he asked it no big deal really.
 stopstarin
Msg: 19
Posted: 3/27/2009 9:47:16 AM
It's official there's nothing men and women can discuss without sex entering in it.

isn't "entering in it", what sex IS all about?

Arpeggia
Msg: 20
Posted: 3/27/2009 10:02:28 AM

As for the question about bubble gum, who knows why he asked it no big deal really.

Um.. well yes it could be a big deal if he asked this in the urban dictionary meaning to a female co worker. It would /could be considered sexual harassment. Further more, if he asked this of a female coworker who not only is from another culture which, I am guessing she is because English is not her native tongue, it could be construed as being demeaning to her by making her the "butt of jokes".
I'm not saying that either of these things were what was meant by the question. I wasn't there and she seems to consider him in a friendly context. I'm just saying it may be a big deal.

OP, hang on to that email in case it becomes an issue of unwanted attention from this project manager. You may want to ask him what his intent was and tell him that you understand now that it was possibly inappropriate. Good luck.

Arp
 Pitch Blease
Msg: 21
Posted: 3/27/2009 10:10:34 AM

^^ Also according to Urban Dictionary:

gummi bear
receiving oral sex from someone without teeth or one who was taken their false teeth and/or dentures out to perform the act.
"Yo man, your grandma just gave me a gummi bear"

Go grandma!
 steveabn
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 3/27/2009 10:11:25 AM
Three options:
Take it at face value and reply yes or no? If it turns out to be something else, then you ask why the hell didn't you say that in the first place?
Ignore it.
Confront him and say "what did you mean by that little remark at the end?" It might be innocent and maybe he is just a nice person.
 GubbleBum
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 3/27/2009 10:25:14 AM
I sure hope not!

I would just ask the guy, OP. That's the only way you're going to know the answer to your question. Guessing can lead you in a different direction than his intent.
 kayliecat
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 3/27/2009 11:05:32 AM
LOL I'm betting he asked b/c you 2 will be traveling in the car and he doesn't want to offend you by chewing in front of you a lot...and if youlike it he'll buy some for the trip. I seirously doubt he'd be asking about sex... come on, folks. If most of us here didn't know what the slang was, what are the odds some coworker would not only know the meaning - but assume she would as well?

Sidenote: That twizzler thing sounds pretty good...am I the only chick who had that thought????

So my favorite is a snickers bar. Any double entendre in the dictionary for that one?
What about a lollipop? (besides the obvious)
Breathmint?

K
 meteor 54
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 3/27/2009 11:18:14 AM
OP, I just bought a bit of gum ON SALE!
Suddenly, gum is IN!!!
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > "Do you like bubble gum?" Any special meaning?