Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > Pittsburgh Penguins      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 PensHockey29
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Pittsburgh PenguinsPage 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Alright Pens fans, show yourselves!

What's your take on the season overall and playoff potential? Did Shero trade well enough or too much? Obviously the salary cap and agency is the biggest deciding factor. But if it weren't who would you have liked to see stay/not join the Pens club?

Anything else just bring it up!

LETS GO PENS!
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Pittsburgh Penguins
Posted: 3/28/2009 5:16:29 AM
I don't follow hockey like i do football, but it's a no brainer that i'm a pens fan just by my screen name. I'm a Pittsburgh sports everything fan and yes even a pirates fan.

As for the Penguins, I think they could go deep into the playoffs If they can continue to play well like they have been doing. How deep? Don't know, I guess their performance in the playoffs will tell.
 An Optimist
Msg: 3
Pittsburgh Penguins
Posted: 3/28/2009 5:05:40 PM
I'm not a Penguin fan....can't really stand cry baby Crosby...(that is not to say I don't think he's a great player)...but to answer your question getting Kunitz and Guerrin have been great for the Pens but equally as much was getting rid of Therian (Please excuse any spelling errors of names) So I think they did very well and I'm sorry to say I think they'll go farther than my Capitals and the main reason will be Jose....I wasn't happy to see them go out and get him...and I'm hoping that after they have a short run in the playoffs because of the goalie that they'll go after 'somebody' in July...
 PensHockey29
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Pittsburgh Penguins
Posted: 4/1/2009 7:42:03 PM

an't really stand cry baby Crosby..

ouch....i hate when people knock crosby. i never say a word bad about ovechkin or any other player that is genuinely GOOD. cry baby crosy is quite the contrary. he's a good, solid, team player that takes alot of crap from other teams. he's a human target for the big hitters and takes it like a man. even the pounding philly gave his ankle in the playoffs last year after returning from an injury (which they were probably hitting the wrong one, no team gives specific injury reports for that reason exactly.)

But I agree with you 100%. I loved therrien, but he was no good for the Pens. Dan Bylesma was an amazing choice. its showed so much since he's been coach, especially tonight game against the devils (6-1 win.) Kunitz was also an extremely smart pick by Shero. But then again, there are so few players the Shero picks up or trades that are every poor choices, he knows his hockey!

Tonights win was HUGE for us Pens fan. Even bigger was the Rangers loss tonight! We WERE in front of the Rangers by only 1 point. This win and their loss gave us a great 3 point lead!

The playoff chances look alot better for us tonight guys & gals! Now it's time to start preparing for this weekends Saturday and Sunday games!

GO PENS! Keep the comments coming!
 PensHockey29
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Pittsburgh Penguins
Posted: 4/1/2009 7:47:12 PM

As for the Penguins, I think they could go deep into the playoffs If they can continue to play well like they have been doing. How deep? Don't know, I guess their performance in the playoffs will tell.

Thanks for your feedback! I am too (obviously) a fellow Pittsburgher! I agree with you 100% though. We go absolutely go deep with the way our game has been lately. I feel very strongly that a big part of how we do in the playoffs will depend on our penalty killing and power play game.

We really, reallyyyy need to start making teams pay for their mistakes. If we do in the playoffs, they'll think twice. Especially the flyers, who are infamous for playing a dirty game. As long as we do that and start killing the penalties I really think we could see a replay of the last PO's and even make it to the finals again!
 fab14
Msg: 6
Pittsburgh Penguins
Posted: 4/2/2009 1:00:25 AM
I think crosby is a great player....This team could be tough to beat come playoff time...Also crosby got a taste of playoff hockey last year.....Every team need to lose before the can be on top......IF i was too pick two teams too go to the cup.....This pains me to say it...lol PENS VS NUCKS in the finals ..I like the pens....But not a Nucks fan...But i`am sure it will be some teams that i would never count on being there.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Pittsburgh Penguins
Posted: 4/2/2009 4:15:49 AM
Speaking of the penguins how about their new arena? Man that thing is going to be awesome when it's finished. Getting a new arena for the penguins was long overdue. I can't wait until it opens in 2010.

Here is the live web cam view on their new arena being built.

http://penguins.nhl.com/fanzone/arena_cam.htm
 ScotsIrish66
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Pittsburgh Penguins
Posted: 4/2/2009 9:14:07 AM
Well I'd say Kunitz and Guerin have been good additions...and reinforce the notion that one of the chief probs with the pens prior to that was a lack of production on the wings and a scrummer in front of the net.

Whitney should have a good career, he was a lot to give up but his game was lacking in the physical dept and letang's develeopment made ryan expendable.

I still think pens could use more scoring punch on the wings...wouldv'e been nice if Hossa were here....ah well, he made his choice and while the wings are contenders for Presidents trophy they have big issues in goal right now, so I hope the wings get bounced in the first round. ; )
 unoriginal alter ego
Msg: 9
Pittsburgh Penguins
Posted: 4/2/2009 9:26:28 AM
Letang's performance under Bylsma has been night and day to the way he was playing under MT. He makes smart decisions, pinches 'cause he trusts his forwards, just good play all around. And I think he's the most underrated hitter on the team.

Although there's no room for him right now, I'd like to see Goligoski play for an extended period of time in this system.

It's also been great to see Eaton come back and play strong. I guess he was worried about the knee till about Christmas. Since then he's become a shot blocking machine. Him and Scuderi might be two of the most overlooked guys in the conference.
 PensHockey29
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Pittsburgh Penguins
Posted: 4/2/2009 12:22:00 PM
Wow alot of great comments have been made here since I last posted!

fab14 - i love that you brought up the fact that our rookies to the playoffs (like crosby, malkin, staal) got a taste of the finals so this time around we're going to be more aware of what time of game play to expect. thats a HUGE part of the playoffs!

steelcity - i agree...its way overdue and its going to be incredible! im pretty sure itll be good to go for 10' - 11' season. they are expecting to have it enclosed by winter. i dont know about you but i cant wait and i plan to get to a game as soon as i can when its up!
scotirish - you and many others, along with myself agree on kunitz n guerin. there's no doubt they were excellent pickups by shero. as for hossa...you and everyone else wishes we could have kept him lol. but can you blame him for wanting to go to the wings? he hasn't got much time left in the nhl and im sure alot of his mindset was focused on getting with a solid playoff team to go for one more cup before he bows out
unoriginal - most definately agree with you. its because alot of the focus is always on the high scoring forwards. it takes a TRUE hockey fan to be able to recognize and take notice to the guys sitting back in the zone keeping the puck out and taking shots for the team. i really did like therrien alot, i still think he's a great coach. he just wasn't the coach that the penguins needed and we were definately blessed to have gotten bylesma because he is the coach the pens needed and if anyone disagrees they need to start watching the games because its not only evident on the L10s but our overall play has improved by leaps and bounds.
im really happy to see this thread up and going. i didnt expect this many replies, let alone replies that are great topics and points being made! i dont know about any of you but i can't wait for the weekend now after last nights win. especially the carolina game!
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Pittsburgh Penguins
Posted: 4/3/2009 12:30:23 AM
Yeah I would love to go to the new staduim when it opens, but considering I live in Florida i'm going to have to plan a trip to Pittsburgh.

What's up with the pens this past week have they been on a mini vacation? LOL, they only played 2 games since last Thursday......
 unoriginal alter ego
Msg: 12
Pittsburgh Penguins
Posted: 4/3/2009 4:12:12 AM
Yeah, it's pretty beat, between the 25th or so of March and the 9th of April they only play three games.

I guess it's kinda good though, the teams with games in hand will have played them by then.
 ratherBgolfing
Msg: 13
Pittsburgh Penguins
Posted: 4/3/2009 4:45:46 AM
I'm glad to see bylsma succeeding. You look at guys like him, Cory Clouston (Ottawa) , Todd McLellan (san Jose), Bruce Boudreau (Washington) all getting their first NHL coaching jobs int eh past year and a bit. ... great to see teams thinking outside the current faced, opening doors for other minor league coaches to make the jump.
You may be able to add Ptrick Roy to that list very soon, as head coach of the Avalanche
 rebel777
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Pittsburgh Penguins
Posted: 4/3/2009 12:54:39 PM
When I was a kid Guy Lafleur was my favorite hocky player and the canadians were my favorite team..
when I was older Yzerman was my favorite player and the redwings were my favorite team...
When Sid the kid started in the league I actually would watch the Pens games and He and the Pens are my favorite...
Kunitz is a good hockey player and I really like Matt Cooke alot(I lived in Van for alot of years).
Sidney Crosby is not a crybaby and it really doesn't matter at all what you people think... he is alot tougher than you
Malkin should be the Hart trophy winner,more than likely OV will get it and he as well deserves it again.
I'm glad Satan is in the minors,he sucked this year.
if ya really know the game of hockey or other sports,you should know that all the crybabies are some of the fans.
 Kaos86
Msg: 15
Pittsburgh Penguins
Posted: 4/4/2009 10:55:24 AM
Unfortunately Pens fans history is not on their side as far as getting back to the Finals.
When did Patrick Roy coach in the minors?
 unoriginal alter ego
Msg: 16
Pittsburgh Penguins
Posted: 4/4/2009 11:00:03 AM
Well, it'd be on their side since chances are they won't be facing Detroit again, since I'm sure a junior team would put three in on Osgood at this point.

And Roy's coached the Ramparts since he bought them. It's always been said that once his kids are out of Juniors that he'll try and get the Habs or Avs coaching job.
 Kaos86
Msg: 17
Pittsburgh Penguins
Posted: 4/4/2009 2:05:16 PM
Well, we find out the answers regarding Osgood and the rest of the NHL in just under 2 weeks.
Osgood has come back from worse before so I am not betting against the Wings.
Keep in mind that the team that lost in the Cup Final has not gone back to the final the next year since Edmonton did it in 84.
Like I said history is not on their side.
But I do feel Sid is destined for greater things, so who knows.
 Some random name
Msg: 18
Pittsburgh Penguins
Posted: 4/4/2009 2:31:25 PM
Crosby and Malkin are getting shutdown by Luongo in the finals.....Canucks take the cup!!!!
 unoriginal alter ego
Msg: 19
Pittsburgh Penguins
Posted: 4/4/2009 2:33:04 PM
After that doesn't happen, and the Sedins are in Toronto next year, what happens?
 ScotsIrish66
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Pittsburgh Penguins
Posted: 4/6/2009 9:14:55 AM
ummm..I dunno..the canucks get worse and the leafs start losing games 6-5 instead of 6-2?
 Mtl_WI_guy
Msg: 21
Pittsburgh Penguins
Posted: 4/6/2009 12:08:52 PM
I don't know how far the pens are gonna go, and I don't really care either(I don't think they've got the depth to go to the finals again)...all I know is that after the Habbies beat nottawa tonight, they'll be sitting in 7th and I'm creaming my pants thinking of a Was/Pitts 1st round series...would be off the scale.
 unoriginal alter ego
Msg: 22
Pittsburgh Penguins
Posted: 4/6/2009 4:49:41 PM
How do the penguins not have the depth? Don't just spout off TSN cliche lines, they're one of the deepest teams in the league.
 PensHockey29
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Pittsburgh Penguins
Posted: 4/13/2009 11:13:46 PM
I agree ^^^^

I mean, look what we've been doing since Bylsma has been behind the bench. He has (dont quote me, lost count a week or so ago) 13 - 3 or something around there record. Crosby and Malking are going into the POs healthy, we have no scratches at all. Fleury is freaking SOLID, he can certainly take us far into the playoffs. Not to mention Kunitz and Garrin obviously.

Plus our penalty killing and powerplay game has stepped it up a LOT in the past couple of games.

The first game is tomorrow at 7:00 PM. Pens vs. Philly, Pens have home ice. We'll see what happens!

As for Detroit doing anything at all and the talk about Osgood. COME on, you've got to be kidding me if you honestly truely think Osgood is going to do anything in the playoffs? The ONLY reason Osgood looks so great and everyone thinks he is is because he has the solid defense in front of him to make him look that way. Seriously, look at last years finals and how many shots on net there really were. Not that many, which goes to show Osgood really didn't have THAT much to block. You take away the D and Osgood will won't look so "amazing," anymore. Sure, the Pens have some good D in front of their net, but there is no denying the fact that Fleury is truely a great goaltender.

When it comes down to Fleury vs. Osgood, there's no contest. Gameplay proves it and if you want to get technical check the top 10 goalies in the NHL. Osgood is nowhere to be found! But Fleury is up there in the middle of the bunch!

Lets keep the Pens talk up and the other team discussion to a minimal, shall we? This is the "Pittsburgh Penguins," thread....there are quite a few other general NHL topics out there for that :) Not trying to be mean, but I made this thread for the Pens for a reason and I'd like to keep the topics of discussion focused on and only on the Pens.

LETS GO PENS! Let's get in here and talk about tomorrow (technically tonights,) game during/afterwards!
 PensHockey29
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Pittsburgh Penguins
Posted: 4/17/2009 2:10:58 PM
Well Pens fans...if your like me you couldn't be any happier with the outcome of the first game of the series (and even happier when you heard the verdict/fine Philly was charged with for Talbots knock to the head and the "message," they tried sending which was strictly forbidden.)

I think if we keep up the way we played in game 1 we'll be fine. Our chemistry was unmatched, we took shots when they oppurtunity showed itself which is what we've needed to do since the beginning of the seaon, Fleury...well Fleury needs no explanation, and we didn't get drawn into Phillies childish taunting and unsportsman-like actions and get ourselves thrown into the box for nothing!

I think tonights game will be a replay of Wednesdays game and we'll have no trouble at all taking that extra lead to 2-0!

Anyone else have any predictions? (Keep it focused on the Pens please!)
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Pittsburgh Penguins
Posted: 4/17/2009 9:37:20 PM
What a good second game. The Flyers came out a lot more prepaird this time around then in game one, but the Penguins pulled it off in OT and won the second game! 2 down 2 more games to go!
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > Pittsburgh Penguins