Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > New BBQ Hint      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 whatsallthis
Msg: 1
New BBQ HintPage 1 of 1    
I am making some teriyaki chicken skewers, and didn't have a basting brush. I suddenly had a "Duh" moment. I have a spray bottle that I keep water in for when my grill when it "flashes" up into flames, so I poured my marinade through a fine sieve to filter the chunks of garlic and pineapple out, then filled the bottle with marinade. I can now "mist" my food with marinade the whole time I am grilling for a nice, even coating of flavor.
 iamtryingagain
Msg: 2
view profile
History
New BBQ Hint
Posted: 4/10/2009 7:52:11 PM
How clever...
Years ago my mother would use oregano twigs..dip them into oil with garlic and baste meat that way ....... instant marinade...
 Browngreeneyes
Msg: 3
New BBQ Hint
Posted: 4/10/2009 11:21:54 PM
likes fishing - it's new to me.. op thanks for that. Must remember it (and not to mistake it for windex)
 Lindarellah
Msg: 4
New BBQ Hint
Posted: 4/11/2009 4:53:58 AM
I thought the recipes and cooking forum was for sharing our cooking hints, not cut others down just because it isn't new to us. You must remember we have new cooks as well as "seasoned" in these forums. Every hint is valued.
 Dovelett
Msg: 5
view profile
History
New BBQ Hint
Posted: 4/11/2009 6:27:05 AM

I thought the recipes and cooking forum was for sharing our cooking hints, not cut others down just because it isn't new to us. You must remember we have new cooks as well as "seasoned" in these forums. Every hint is valued.

So true.
Like to think the best of people..
Maybe the remark... wasn't meant as a cut or dig- however... came across as such.

Let's move on...
 Moonchild51
Msg: 6
view profile
History
New BBQ Hint
Posted: 4/11/2009 8:37:02 AM
OP? I never would have thought of such an idea! How idealic! I normally use a spray bottle to keep my cat from clawing the furniture! lol
And ya know? I would think that by misting you would hit more of the surface than actually basting! Thanks for the idea!
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 7
New BBQ Hint
Posted: 4/11/2009 10:43:37 AM
Some thought how to keep pasta from sticking was common knowledge as well.

Thank you Lindarellah. I couldn't have said it better myself, or I should say refuse to bother with these guys anymore myself.
On topic ~ I've been a professional chef since I was 15 and this tip never crossed my mind. OP for that reason maybe you could make some money off it. Innovative minds are the essence of cooking.
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 8
New BBQ Hint
Posted: 4/11/2009 11:06:27 AM
Right you are. Unless you have anything worthwhile (on topic) to add ?
 Prettypicky I
Msg: 9
New BBQ Hint
Posted: 4/11/2009 3:37:21 PM

OP? I never would have thought of such an idea! How idealic! I normally use a spray bottle to keep my cat from clawing the furniture! lol

Wow, multi-purpose spritzing; how brilliant! Just make sure you don't go cool down your kitty and accidentally give her a shot of chilli pepper. Would burn the poor little pussycat's eyes out and really she was just playing...
 mik1950
Msg: 10
New BBQ Hint
Posted: 4/11/2009 3:49:47 PM

On topic ~ I've been a professional chef since I was 15 and this tip never crossed my mind.

oh really?
 whatsallthis
Msg: 11
New BBQ Hint
Posted: 4/12/2009 4:26:14 AM
I realize that it isn't exactly news to rock the world, but it works rather well.
 Prettypicky I
Msg: 12
New BBQ Hint
Posted: 4/12/2009 6:53:37 PM
Spritzing can also be used to spray on smaller amounts of dressing onto salads. My friend told me yesterday that she does this to reduce calories by providing the flavour, but in smaller amounts than teaspooning it. Apparently, multi-purpose spritzing is fast becoming all the rage.
 Southern Belle!
Msg: 13
New BBQ Hint
Posted: 4/13/2009 5:44:09 PM
: - )
Well, you need to be working on your Marinade "Mister" patent! LOL!
What a good idea!
 pinkdanielle
Msg: 14
New BBQ Hint
Posted: 4/13/2009 6:15:39 PM
PrettyPicky, they actually already make several flavors of salad dressing in a spritzer bottle for that exact reason! Too bad your friend didn't come up with it first
 Park_Guy
Msg: 15
New BBQ Hint
Posted: 4/14/2009 12:52:20 AM
a couple of years ago a friend that was hocking pampered chef gave me a nice little about 5oz non-aerosol pump spray bottle for oil... You put whatever you want in it, use the cap to "pump it up" and spray away.

The most awesome thing ever....lol

I found them in a pack of 6 bottles a year or so ago at a paint store for $40 for using for small touchups, same bottles, much better price and I use them for everything!

I have one for olive oil, one for Canola, one for peanut oil, one for lemon juice (great for when grilling shrimp) and would consider them a "needed" kitchen accessory now lol. The one thing I liked about the "paint" spray bottles is that they have a filter screen on the spray tube, so I can toss some oil, herbs & spices in the bottle, shake it up and spray away without filtering it first.
 Moonchild51
Msg: 16
view profile
History
New BBQ Hint
Posted: 4/14/2009 6:24:56 AM
Hey Doc? I had one of those from Pampered Chef as well. Cept over time, if you keep oil in it, it kind of gums up on you! lol
And yes, salad dressings, at least some of them, now come in a spray bottle so that you will use less. Least that is what they say, but I get spray crazy!
 Prettypicky I
Msg: 17
New BBQ Hint
Posted: 4/15/2009 6:21:43 PM
Hey P-Dan,

I believe that she's making her own dressing and then, doing the spritzing. Not sure if they have it in the States, but one of my favourite dressings (whether it's atop of a salad accompanying BBQ or not.. ) is a Japanese Seseame dressing by Rene's. Unfortunately, it's not self-spritzing, so one would have to transfer it into a spritz bottle for usage. Mind you, I could drink that stuff straight up, so I would only be kidding myself if I went to the trouble off transferring it into a spritz bottle.

Practically speaking and before this whole craze that's apparently catching like wildfire across the continent, I only used the spritz bottle for sun tanning! BTW: Too bad your a "goil", otherwise, I'd want to come visit you, spritz myself good and then BBQ in the sun.
 Whiskey Woman
Msg: 18
view profile
History
New BBQ Hint
Posted: 4/17/2009 12:39:17 AM
You can buy spray on sauces and dressings at most supermarkets and even online. Great stuff. Martha Stewart uses them on her show.
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > New BBQ Hint