Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > What's a Good Opening "Line" for a Message?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 7and7is
Msg: 1
What's a Good Opening "Line" for a Message?Page 1 of 1    
Just wondering, I am not having much luck here, I write some gals, but they never write back. I usually just go with a pretty standard, "Hello, how are you tonight?" or some variation of that, but then I read on these forums that that is perhaps "lame". I've written a few with more detail and questions and so on, but then it seems like I'm in the middle of a conversation we're not actually having.

So, let's suppose I am going to contact you, what should I say as a jumping off point?
 happyhan89
Msg: 2
What's a Good Opening Line for a Message?
Posted: 5/7/2009 1:27:49 AM
I think you should start with something that you've noticed on their profile, like a compliment. For example if they mention that they love the beach, you could ask what is their favourite beach?? Or mention that you like the beach as well (Only if you actually do of course). It just helps to add a nice personal touch!

Good luck!
 7and7is
Msg: 3
Posted: 5/7/2009 1:35:10 AM
Thanks! I've actually done this a lot since almost every girl in my area mentions how she loves to walk on the beach and would love that for a first date.....major problem, we don't have any beaches here or anywhere near here. So I ask what beach they mean.....I guess that's a turn off, immediate sarcasam.
 wpg_chick_84
Msg: 4
Posted: 5/7/2009 1:36:39 AM
A good opening line is one that displays your personality, and no offence, it's not a good idea to go around asking women what they want because if you don't acutally have it, when the 'true you' comes through, you could end up getting hurt/end up hurting someone. Best advice though? Before you message someone you should make sure you would actually be interested in dating them. If all you're attracted to are her photos, and you send her a generic, one line "Hey how are you?" message, it's probably not going to work out. But if you can get a conversation going, especially about mutual interests, then you'll have better luck. And the only way to really do this is to actually closely read her profile and by asking relevant questions.
 Lori922
Msg: 5
Posted: 5/7/2009 4:00:23 AM

"Hello, how are you tonight?"

Yeah, it doesn't get much lamer than that unless you just say "hi"

Those are pretty much a read/delete

Always think about what caught your eye about her profile and send your message based on that.
 Bellydanza
Msg: 6
Posted: 5/7/2009 4:02:34 AM
The answer is simple. They don't answer because they're not interested. If they reply with a short response with not much to say, they're probably not interested either.

This is the way it is on this site. It's not you, it's not your messages, etc. If a woman (or man) views your profile and doesn't find you attractive, or finds something in your profile they don't like, then it won't matter what you write, they will still not answer you.

It happens to all of us. Suck it up and keep trying
 afashionlady
Msg: 7
Posted: 5/7/2009 5:03:17 AM
Doesn't matter what the line is...if it sounds like a "line" they won't respond anyway.

Remember...if they don't respond or stop responding, and they're not sick--they're not interested. Don't care how you ask this question (you and the other millions of men who'll ask it today) it all means the same thing.
 michaelalfox
Msg: 8
Posted: 5/7/2009 6:05:18 AM
I know I'm not a lady, but I do know that some will view your profile before they even open the message. And I know this isn't the profile review forum, but you may want to consider adding in some pictures of you smiling and possibly remove that one of the cig in your mouth. I know a lot don't like seeing that sort of thing flaunted about.

But yeah, avoid the one-line deal. Unless you're Brad Pitt, it's not going to impress very many. Read their profile thoroughly and get a good understanding of their interests. Make sure you're somewhat compatible. I know a lot of guys will "carpet bomb" a massive quantity of ladies with a standard, dull message. More beneficial is finding someone who you're actually interested in and writing a long message. Show them that you've taken the time and they'll be more likely to respond with something half decent.
 KISS MY A$$
Msg: 9
Posted: 5/7/2009 7:25:48 AM
"" But yeah, avoid the one-line deal. Unless you're Brad Pitt, ""

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Brad always sends me detailed and informative emails. I think you guys should leave him alone. He is very sensative you know!!!

Okay.. I will give you free of charge the new and profoundly effective opening one liner for messages.
This has been tried and true now here at the Raphy Institute and we are proud now to boast of it's success...
This information is free but if you want to take any of our extended courses you must pay a tuition fee.
Our response rate is so successful we have hundreds that are now signing up for more and more lessons from out committee of instructors....

In the subject line write " HEY YOU"

and in the content write " IS YOUR NAME SUZIE?"

Please do not be discouraged by our simple methods. The results are miraculous. Try them and see!!!!

If you want to send us a testimonial or sign up for more or our programs...
Please call 1 800- HOW TO CONTACT... I repeat 1 800- HOW TO CONTACT
 stopn2sayhi
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/7/2009 7:33:09 AM
Guess what? There is no magic opening line. You can be as articulate as you want, but if she doesn't find you attractive, it's not going to work- no matter what you say.

Your chances of having a woman respond to you will be better if you contact the ones who are closer to your lifestyle, interests, and appearance. Sometimes in real world situations (like the workplace or neighborhood) a woman might warm up to you as time goes by. When it comes to online dating, it's a lot more superficial. Your whole being is summed up by images and what you have in your profile.

It all depends on who you're contacting, and if she's attracted to you at least enough to respond. If you're contacting women on here that you would never have the guts to approach in real life, you shouldn't be approaching them here.

Try contacting a different type of women and see how that goes. You shouldn't be too worried about an 'opening line'. Just send an intro message asking her about something in her profile. If she's interested, she'll send an email back responding to your questions, and then asking you about you. Don't put too much stock on a one line response with no questions being asked by her. If you get that, move on to the next woman.
Good luck!
 mesorpsails
Msg: 11
Posted: 5/7/2009 7:52:57 AM
I like tospice up the subject line with a simple question. like whats your fav ice cream? OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT
 artist_48
Msg: 12
Posted: 5/7/2009 8:41:36 AM
wow, budd, you are really shooting yourslef in the foot. here is a brief run-down of what i am getting out of your profile (take a deep breath):

workoholic with bad work hours

homebody

smart*ss

i golf but i suck

i'm not looking for a relationship

your photos are defeating :
1. you have no smile
2. women do not appreciate photos with children online
3. you're smoking and your profile says you don't- even if you change that,
it's not a chick magnet

re-write your profile and tell us who you are- apparently you like music. if i were to write you i would discuss music with you.
run your newly-written profile thru profile review, with new photos.

if you're really not wanting a relationship, try my_s-p-a-c-e
 KISS MY A$$
Msg: 13
Posted: 5/7/2009 8:50:20 AM
MSG 12 ^^^^^ This girl is on to something.

This is on page 10 of our booklet

an excerpt :

HAVE AN INTERESTING SUBJECT LINE

When a girl opens her inbox and there is line after line of unopened mail.
A flooded inbox with 80 unread mails.
She sees it as a wall of words.
What's a poor girl to do?

How will she make a choice which to open first?
So she scans the subject lines... and sees. Hey, Wow, Hi, HOTTIE, How are you, Hello,
and the infamous Hi SEXY....
All of these seem just like a blurr to her.

Then she reads yours!! I HAD A HORSE NAMED ED

Now... this immediately allows her to know you have done more than look at
her pictures. She knows you have at least read the interest section (horses).Your line is a cut above the rest and her interest is now PEAKED! If you really want to impress her have your subject line refer to something in the content of her About Me section!!!!

Congratulations. She opens your mail first !!

We have other booklets available. Inquire about this one titled " Emails, How to Do it"
 anjelic
Msg: 14
Posted: 5/7/2009 8:51:31 AM
The best ones alway start out with something like.
"Wasn't The House Of The Spirits a great book?"(They read my profile and knew a book by one of my fav authors) or "I can't believe anyone else loved Bubba Ho Tep"but me..Focus on a good headline." I love dirt roads to".

Never "love those jeans" "hey little lady" "I love redheads,blondes,brunettes " ect......
 anjelic
Msg: 15
Posted: 5/7/2009 8:56:02 AM
So true mfox.
I got what appeared to be a copy/paste generic long long message last week.Very "chain letter" like and wrote back suprisingly."Hope Thats working for you"type thing ,then blocked.Out of 6 paragraphs never once mentioned anything on my profile. Just throwing it out there hoping something will stick,won't.
 KISS MY A$$
Msg: 16
Posted: 5/7/2009 11:50:21 AM
""Be a Man, do it yourself. If you can't, you don't deserve someone handing it to you??

^^^ I LOVE it!!!!

I vote that this should now be the standard reply to any and all men that come here asking this again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again.

YES, Gents, you figure it out. If you don't know how to simply talk to us how are you going to make our babies???

If they will not stop asking. I say we have to stop answering...

Oh wait, That may put the Ralphy Institute out of business..
Let me think about this and get back to you....
 ProcolHarem
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 5/7/2009 11:57:08 AM
I've tried stuff like
hey...nice legs.
wanna fvck?
If I told you, you had a great body would you hold it against me?
I LOVE a chick with swollen lips!

Can't believe they've never worked.

EDIT: To message #21
i seriously don't think it matters what you say. If they aren't attracted to you they will not respond to anything you say.

Freakin' BINGO!
 ashkitty
Msg: 18
Posted: 5/7/2009 12:01:26 PM
find something from there profile that u find intresting...and ask about it...or tell them u enjoy the same.. like

if u see i like baseball...ask me my favorite team..and tell me urs..
the one liners get kinda boring expecially when your inbox is filled with them, sometimes i hardly even read the messages if i see there one quick sentence.. i want a man that pays attention, and that is intrested in me ..not just my looks...so ACT INTRESTED
 SharkSlayer101
Msg: 19
Posted: 5/7/2009 12:06:18 PM
i seriously don't think it matters what you say. If they aren't attracted to you they will not respond to anything you say.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > What's a Good Opening "Line" for a Message?