Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Has anyone tried Irish Car Bomb cupcakes?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 canonprinter
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Has anyone tried Irish Car Bomb cupcakes?Page 1 of 1    
I love Car Bombs and I love cupcakes, why not combine them? I'm thinking of whipping them up, but I want to make sure that they really ARE as delicious as they sound. I've had some desserts that have booze incorporated into the recipe, but end up tasting more like a shot than a dessert.

The recipe includes Guinness in the cake portion, Jameson in the chocolate ganache, and Bailey's in the frosting. I think I'll try them out either way, I'm just looking for some feedback. Thanks!
 Dovelett
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Has anyone tried Irish Car Bomb cupcakes?
Posted: 5/7/2009 1:39:59 PM
Watch they don't blow up.. ..

Have the recipe.
 SureToBeSure
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2009 9:16:47 AM
They sound great, any chance of sharing the recipe??

Cheers
 shaylaxox
Msg: 4
Posted: 5/8/2009 10:02:08 AM
i have made guiness cup cakes and they are awsome...
send recipe..i love irish car bombs and cupcakes!
 canonprinter
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2009 12:03:45 PM
No way am I sharing the recipe!
;]

I found this on smittenkitten.com. I also got another recipe in my mail [thanks, thinknmansgirl!]

This was the original recipe I was looking at:
http://smittenkitchen.com/2009/01/car-bomb-cupcakes/

And this was the new one:
http://www.romanreign.com/irish_car_bomb_cupcakes.htm

I'm hoping someone will try these out before I do [or have already tried them out] and can give me some pointers on how much booze should REALLY go into it, haha. Again, I want a dessert, not a c0cktail!
 SAguy_06
Msg: 6
Posted: 5/8/2009 1:50:58 PM

cut and paste..........................

This recipe was inspired by my filled cupcake passion. After spending some time with beer brewers, I wanted to come up with a cupcake that would please them as well as allow my creative culinary thinking cap some fun. This Irish Car Bomb Cupcake is a chocolate Guinness cake filled with a mascarpone, chocolate hazelnut, Irish cream, and whiskey blend topped with fresh whipped cream. I spent many hours contemplating the filling of this cupcake. The chocolate hazelnut was to compliment the chocolate cake and to give the cake another dimension. I added mascarpone cheese to it to give it a sinfully rich texture. The Irish Cream and the Whiskey are essential to the Irish Car Bomb. I decided to use a very simple and plain whipped topping with Bailey's to not take away from the flavors of the cake and filling. Additionally, the recipe for the Guinness cake is not my own. It is a popular recipe from Bon Appetite (2002) that was easily adapted to cupcakes. Enjoy!

Makes about 32-34 cupcakes.

Hardware:

Mixer (I Heart my kitchen aid)

Whisk

Piping tips (Bismark 230 and your choice for decorating, I used the Star tip 21) and piping bags.

Melon baller if you choose to scoop your cupcakes instead of fill them.

Cupcake liners, foil preferably. Paper is fine too, but the cake is a bit greasy.

Cupcake pans

A bunch of spatulas, forks, and spoons

Software:

Cake

1 cup stout (such as Guinness)

1 cups (2 sticks) unsalted butter

3/4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder (I used raw cacao)

2 cups all purpose flour

2 cups sugar

1/2 tablespoon baking soda

3/4 teaspoons salt

2 large eggs

3/4 cups sour cream or vanilla yogurt

Filling

5 oz mascarpone cheese

6 oz nutella

2 oz whiskey (more really, as much as you want)

Whipped Cream

24 oz heavy whipping cream

1/3 cup of powdered sugar

2 teaspoons vanilla

1/3 cup of Irish Cream

Preparation
For cake:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cupcake pans with liners. Bring 1 cup stout and 1 cup butter to simmer in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Drink the rest of the stout or use it to make Irish Black and Tan Mac and Cheese. Add cocoa powder and whisk until mixture is smooth. Allow to cool. Whisk flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in large bowl to blend. Using electric mixer, beat eggs and sour cream/yogurt in another large bowl to blend. Add stout-chocolate-butter mixture to egg mixture slowly and beat just to combine. Make sure that the stout-chocolate-butter combo has cooled so that it does not curdle and cook the eggs when you add it. It is preferable to stream it slowly into the eggs to temper them. Add flour mixture and beat briefly on slow speed. Using rubber spatula, fold batter until completely combined. Fill cupcake molds halfway and bake for 15-18 minutes. The tops should be springy to the touch. Allow to cool completely.

Filling:

Combine the mascarpone, Nutella, and whiskey in a bowl with a fork. Mix until smooth. Do not refrigerate. You want this to be at room temperature for piping into the cupcakes. Once at room temperature, it should have the consistency of frosting. If it is too thick, add more whiskey. If it is too thin, add some nutella or mascarpone.

Whipped Cream:

Combine all ingredients into a large bowl and mix with the whisk attachment. I started out with 1 oz of Irish cream, but upped it to about 1/2 of a cup. Use the Irish Cream to taste. This mixture should be beaten until stiff peaks form. It may take anywhere from 10-20 minutes depending on your mixer's speed. Be careful not to over beat as it could break and turn into butter and buttermilk. Once stiff peaks have formed, place this into the fridge to keep cold.

Assembling once cupcakes are cooled:

Option 1: Load a piping bag with bismark 230 tip with the filling. Read here for more detailed instructions. You should be able to get all the filling into a single bag. Insert tip into each cupcake 1 inch and squeeze bag. You may see the cupcake visibly rise as it is filled. Pull out the tip when it looks like the cupcake is inflated. You can add additional filling by poking another hole in the cupcake and filling another portion of the cake. Move onto the next cupcake. Eat the left over filling.

Option 2: Using a melon baller, dig out a hole in each cupcake. Spoon filing into each hole. Eat the cake holes. Eat the left over filling.

Once cupcakes are filled, you can use use a spoon and knife to spoon on the whipped cream topping. Or you can use a piping tip and bag to decorate your cupcakes. You may choose to sprinkle with shaved chocolate or cinnamon, but there are more than enough flavors going on.
 canonprinter
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2009 4:23:37 PM
Sorry, I didn't know that copying and pasting a link into your browser was so much trouble ;].

But thanks for that recipe, too. Now I have a few to think about. Maybe end up with my own creation.
 4the4ems
Msg: 8
Posted: 5/9/2009 7:50:01 AM
So someday I guess I can look forward to jihadist car bomb upside down date cake.

It is so strange that we humans can turn something ugly into something delicious.
 fritzle
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 5/9/2009 11:45:31 PM
Holy cow these sound amazing! Never heard of them before! Guess I know what I'll be making sometime soon! LOL! THanks for sharing!
 canonprinter
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 5/14/2009 12:05:19 AM
In case any of you were wondering how it turns out, I tried it out today.

In my batch, I could barely taste any of the booze; they were basically chocolate cupcakes [still, delicious].

You could slightly taste the Guinness in the cake portion, not very strong. In the ganache, the Jameson sort of mixed with the bittersweet chocolate and tasted the same [not quite sure if that makes a lot of sense]. The frosting was the most ridiculous, though. I only used three cups of sugar because I was afraid if I used more it wasn't going to want to spread smoothly. I added 3 tablespoons of Baileys and you can definitely taste it, so I recommend very little frosting.

The entire cupcake is very rich. The chocolate inside chocolate with SUPER sweet frosting was a bit much for my taste [I could only have half of one, and even that was bordering on too much]. But overall, delicious recipe. If you want to taste the booze, I suggest adding a little more of the whiskey and Guinness. If you DON'T want to taste it, go a little softer on the Baileys.

The end!
 ~Sweet Potato Queen
Msg: 11
Posted: 9/7/2010 6:45:58 AM
i can't wait to try this one out...sounds so yummy...
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Has anyone tried Irish Car Bomb cupcakes?