Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  > Height of children from tall man and short girl      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 veggie_lover
Msg: 1
Height of children from tall man and short girlPage 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
it has been too many years since my course in genetics. Is it safe to say that kids from a tall man and short girl will most likely fall in between the height of the parents. in other words if the man is 6 feet and the woman 5 feet, the male kids will most likely be five and a half feet tall?

I realize it is not so simple as this. I'm not sure if height genes are dominant in male or female. I recall reading somewhere that Chinese eyes are always a dominant trait. So if either parent has a slight hint of Chinese eyes, their offspring will almost certainly have the Chinese eyes. I'm not sure if height follows similar logic?
 slapshot682
Msg: 2
Height of children from tall man and short girl
Posted: 5/9/2009 10:15:19 AM
Not necessarily. Height is determined by several genes. I had a a friend whose mother and father were 6' 2'' and 4'11'' The older daughter was 5'8'' and the my friends only topped out at about 5'4''. My dad is 6' and my mom was 5'2'' I ended up 5'10'' and my sister is 5'2''
 vegg4life
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 5/9/2009 10:26:03 AM
slapshot, your examples aren't really that far off the mark..your 5'4" friend is short according to the averaging theory but the others fall basically in between? so i'm confused what you're saying? this is what wikipedia has to say: "Genetically speaking, the heights of mother and son and of father and daughter correlate, suggesting that a short mother will more likely bear a shorter son, and tall fathers will have tall daughters." They do have a reference on there for that quote...it is number 69 for the entry "human height".

The health of the child also plays a large role in determining what a person's "maximum height" will be... as does the condition of the mother before and during pregnancy. new evidence is being found that says the physical condition of even PREVIOUS generations, such as a grandparents and great grandparents, can affect height... I believe they were looking at families during and after the great depression.
 bicoastal49
Msg: 4
Posted: 5/9/2009 12:07:23 PM
I'm 6' 3". My ex-wife is 5' 5 1/2". Our daughters are 5' 2" and 5' 7".

Haven't looked at the genetics, but it seems there are some recessive genes in this. One grandma was 5' and the other was 5' 8". Tall daughter resembles tall grandmother in build. Short daughter resembles short grandmother.
 kpooks
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 5/9/2009 12:30:01 PM
Whatever height of either gender, I'm sure the average height of children conceived will be somewhere between the heights of the parents-! My brother was 6'2"; his wife is 5'8". They produced a daughter who is, so far, at age 18, 5'8". Maybe the next kid would've been closer to 6'2". I'm taller than both my parents but am almost as tall as my grandfather-! So perhaps height skips a generation.
 likespups
Msg: 6
Posted: 5/9/2009 12:48:31 PM
http://www.keepkidshealthy.com/welcome/htcalculator.html
 outofthedesert
Msg: 7
Posted: 5/9/2009 1:44:44 PM
Mom 5;6 (her dad 5'8 and mom 5'), dad 6'2 (his dad 6'4 and mom 5'9)--three children--me 5'7, sister 6'1 and brother 6'3--sometimes you have to go back another generations. Normally you will have a tall, a short and two inbetweens but often you will have a short male and a tall female. Another thought--all my cousins have our side of the families brown eyes while their other parent was light eyed--and blue eyes are supposed to be dom. I have turquoise eyes, my sisters are emerald green and my brothers are a golden color like my grandmother's. No one has eyes like my sister and myself. Go figure.

My ex was 5'10(his dad and one granddad over 6, his grandmothers 5'8 and 5') and me 5'7--two sons 5'7 and 6'

It is anyone's guess.
 no_1_bby
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 5/9/2009 3:26:07 PM
I'm 5'4" (mom is 5'6" and my father was 6') my ex is 5'8" (his dad is 5'10" or 5'11", not sure about his bio mom, but his grandfather was 6').. my mother's parents are probably in the 5'5" to 5'8" range... my children are estimated to be in the 6'2"-6'4" range. That is based on taking their height at 2 (or 3.. I can't remember) and doubling it (as most parenting sites suggest).

My brother is 6'3".. but he's not full-blood.. he's half... dad (stepdad) is 6'2"... and his father was probably that tall as well.

Now.. you wanna talk eye color?? LOL!!
Me - green
mom - green
her mom - green
her dad - blue
her older sis - hazel
her younger sis - blue
not sure what color my father's eyes were (he was a redhead, so could be anything.. brown, blue, green.. not sure)

the ex - navy blue
#1 demon spawn - grey blue
#2 demon spawn - bright blue
 kthyg
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 5/9/2009 3:52:07 PM
Mom is 5'7", Dad is 5'10". B aby brother is 6'4". I have uncles that are tall and my Dad's father was tall. Us girls are 5'4" and 5'7". So, parents height does not necessarily set the tone.
 Golfer38
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/9/2009 4:19:09 PM
I think that there are more factors coming into play. My Dad is 6'4 and my Mom is 5'9 and I am 6'7 and my sister is 6'2. I also think that today's kids eat better and as a result are growing bigger. My son's mother is 5'5 so it will be interesting to see where he ends up.
 sdbysassygal
Msg: 11
Posted: 5/9/2009 4:26:45 PM
With a lot of today's foods, vitamins, drinks, etc being full of HGH (human growth hormone), steroids, and estrogen etc (think milk products)... I think genetics play a smaller role than they used to...
 Bluegeenes
Msg: 12
Posted: 5/9/2009 4:46:23 PM
Height is dependent on several genes, all of which are Co-dominate. Meaning, no one gene over rides another. And because height is not controlled by two genes, the height genes you inherit are simply a random mix of your mothers and your fathers. That is why two tall parents can have a child who is shorter than themselves and visa -versa.

And as SD mentioned environmental factors such as nutrition also play large role. But with all due respect, genetics does not play a smaller role today than it ever has.
 TooShadows
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 5/9/2009 4:54:28 PM
You never know with height. My girlfriend's father is 5'10",her mother about 5'6",and my girlfriend is 6'4". She has twin siblings,brother and sister. Her brother is 6'5" and her sister is 5'4". I'm 6'2",and our doctor has said that our son will outgrow us both.
 whytwater
Msg: 14
Posted: 5/9/2009 5:02:07 PM
This is a far cry from a topic I expect to see in the Sex and Dating thread category.
Off-topic would have been appropriate. just sayin. Is the sex and dating presumed?
 gracengracie
Msg: 15
Posted: 5/9/2009 5:15:05 PM
short gene is dominant one.

Ex my sister is slightly under 5' and her husband maybe 6 or 6'1

2 daughters are 5'4 and 5'7
 lilwmn456
Msg: 16
Posted: 5/9/2009 5:22:28 PM
My kids dad is 6'1, I'm 5'1-my girls are 5' 2 and 5'3, and my son is 5'8.
 sdbysassygal
Msg: 17
Posted: 5/9/2009 6:17:14 PM
Awe Whyt... you were the last person I would have figured for a thread cop....

As an aside.. Bluegeenes? I studied genetic codes in university as part of the course I was involved in.. You'd be surprised at how much the daily ingestion of hormones upsets the natural balance of the gene pool...
 Lil Brooker
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 5/9/2009 6:25:44 PM
The children may be very tall or very short and occasionally in between. Seen it. I have two daughters. One is statuesque at 5' 8" and the other is petite at 5'. I'm tween the two. Father was almost 6'.

A "tall" and a "short" does not always produce a "medium".
 allthatglittersisnotgold
Msg: 19
Posted: 5/9/2009 6:30:18 PM
Obviously doesn't matter that you have a short and a tall parent on the tallness of the offspring. I am 5' and my ex was 6'2 and my sons are 5'11. So no real rhyme or reason in the heights for the children as alot of posters have posted the same heights for the parents.Thankfully my sons did not end up short like me.
 Celtic Smiles
Msg: 20
Posted: 5/9/2009 7:18:16 PM
I was wondering the same thing, I'm 5'9 1/2 and my X is 6'00
my 11 yr old daughter is 4'11 and my 8 yr old son is 4'9.
They still have a Way to go, but I have a feeling they'll both be tall
 coldlogic
Msg: 21
Posted: 5/9/2009 9:11:19 PM
Well my mom is 5'4 and my dad is 6'6

im 5'5 and my sister is 5'7

maybe that helps
 outofthedesert
Msg: 22
Posted: 5/10/2009 4:42:37 AM
RE: This is a far cry from a topic I expect to see in the Sex and Dating thread category.
Off-topic would have been appropriate. just sayin. Is the sex and dating presumed?

Perhaps she is trying to decide if she wants to mix gene pools?
 HarDayKnight
Msg: 23
Posted: 5/10/2009 9:07:30 AM
Depends on what genes are passed on in the union, and the nutrition and types of food the child is provided. Many Asian children born in the West are taller than their parents and grandparents were, due to diet.
 kygirl71
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2009 9:16:28 PM
I am extremely small...4'8". My son's father is 6'7" Thankfully my son has inherited his father's height. He is 14 years old and at 6feet now....with a couple more years left to grow. I have read that nutrition and exercise tend to help kids reach their potentional as far as stature....which makes sense. My son is a very healthy eater and exercises and trains hours each day.
 Tomau
Msg: 25
Posted: 7/10/2009 9:44:57 PM

eyed--and blue eyes are supposed to be dom

brown eyes are dominant, blue eyes recessive read up on genetics and eye colour, all infants are born with blue eyes which if they are going to change color will in time. Blue eyes are a lack of a kind of pigment in the iris which the more you have the darker the eyes are.

http://museum.thetech.org/ugenetics/eyeCalc/eyecalculator.html

theres a neat thing about eye color
Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  > Height of children from tall man and short girl