Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ireland  > Ireland - Have we lost our manners?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Munsterbear
Msg: 1
Ireland - Have we lost our manners?Page 1 of 1    
Over the last few years I believe this country lost the run of itself as we chased the mighty Euro. Never really thinking about the future but give it all to me now. As this became epidemic I believe we lost a few morals and values behind. What happened to saying please and thank you. Is it so hard to say "Have a good day/weekend" to people we are dealing with. Even queuing for a bus is basically who has the biggest shoulders or elbows.

I wish we all could take a wee step back and just think for a second. At this stage I laugh at the idea of Ireland being the country of a thousand welcomes. Sorry if I upset people by saying that but it's what I feel.

Let me know what you think.
 madtigger
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Ireland - Have we lost our manners?
Posted: 5/14/2009 8:15:18 AM
i have to say to you one thing . your right. i teach the children smile things to help them thorough life.
manners cost nothing and get you everywhere as does a nice smile. many people forget to say please and thank you. or even sorry if bumping into you. as for giving up seats to older people on trains or buses forget about it. sorry ranting not.
 Mark_530
Msg: 3
Posted: 5/14/2009 3:14:14 PM
I have noticed it too. I think seeing all the crime and scumbags on the news etc makes us not care about anyone else but ourselves anymore.

and the governments being fraudulent thieves.... I have alot of apathy now too.
 thenewlife
Msg: 4
Posted: 5/16/2009 5:35:50 AM
I find people to have pretty good manners around here, everyone say please and thank you.

They always say we have lost our manners and look back to some good old times that didn't really exist in the first place.
 maryj53
Msg: 5
Posted: 10/23/2009 6:03:08 PM
I have noticed it too. I think seeing all the crime and scumbags on the news etc makes us not care about anyone else but ourselves anymore.

and the governments being fraudulent thieves.... I have alot of apathy now too.

Do i see a trace of disrespect here? Who decides that some people are 'scumbags'? I used to have apathy , but i stopped cause i just felt it wasn't worth the effort
 Grisensnable
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 10/23/2009 6:19:07 PM

Do i see a trace of disrespect here? Who decides that some people are 'scumbags'? I used to have apathy , but i stopped cause i just felt it wasn't worth the effort

I too suffer from an acute case of ennui.........regarding the whole lie that is told about the Irish..sure fvck it!!
 Lively Annie
Msg: 7
Posted: 10/24/2009 3:03:31 AM
I don't think what Munsterbear is saying here is really a bearing on the financial state of our economy. Reality its a sham but that in itself does not allow for bad manners and in some cases no manners at all. It is just as easy to say please and thank you as not. Just as easy to greet some one Good day, or have a great weekend as not. Amazing if you smile at someone, they automatically smile back. It is the Law of Attraction - you get back what you give out. Try it and see for yourself - it does work. But getting back to manners, we all try to ensure our kids are well mannered and constantly correcting them so really it starts at home - all the grounding for good mannered kids and adults happens at home. So its up to parents to ensure their children are corrected, guided and advised on how to be a well mannered individual.
 missx3
Msg: 8
Posted: 10/25/2009 2:37:58 PM
Yes, yes! Glad you said this! Those that come from Ireland or whose ancestors come from Ireland are often, in our experience, quite rude, use profanity and/ or are angry, but not all of them ! They are also the sexiest, most passionate men on the planet (in my exp. and opinion). Much of it is learned behavior and terrible parenting.

But then, most of the people everywhere have become much louder and ruder. Boo to them! It isn't funny and it isn't cute. There are PLENTY Of other ways to have fun in the world than getting drunk in a bar every weekend! That just makes you act like a pig and embarass yourself, and since most people drink because they are so insecure in themselves or depressed, drinking does not help, but hinders in the long run. Rather see somebody weight 300 lbs from eating than be a drunkand (though neither are good, ha!)

Common courtesy is expected. Speaking your mind is fine as long as you remember caring about other's feelings. My cousin and I love the tales of the Ancient Celts who so valued and loved the woman they were with and fought for them.. where are those real men nowadays????
Show ALL Forums  > Ireland  > Ireland - Have we lost our manners?