Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > The Kinks      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 PinballWizard42
Msg: 1
The KinksPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Anybody else love them?
I discovered them senior year of high school. Got Village Green that spring and was obsessed with it. The only albums I played that semester were The Clash's first album and Village Green.
 Thatguy67
Msg: 2
view profile
History
The Kinks
Posted: 5/14/2009 2:46:38 PM
I love the Kinks. One of the best bands to come out of the UK in the '60s (to me, they're one of the "big four" of the original British invasion, with others being the Beatles, the Stones & the Who).

I think some remember them as only being a singles band, "You Really Got Me, "All Day And All Of The Night,""Lola," "Come Dancing" and others etc.

But their best work was such albums as "The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society," "Arthur (Or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire),"
"Lola versus Powerman and the Moneygoround Part One," & "Muswell Hillbillies." I often thought some of their best music was overlooked by radio. "Lost and Found" from their "Think Visual" LP (1986) is a wonderful tune. Their concept albums were Ray Davies take on British society. Probably why some of these albums were lost on North American audiences. Too British for their own good but those albums are worth seeking out.

Ray Davies and his brother Dave, both with their mercurial personalities were the original feuding brothers in rock (remind you of Oasis?). They used to break up on stage. They would be in a middle of a song and they would drop their guitars and go at it. A little later they would return to stage and resume their show.

They haven't done an album in 20 years or have appeared on stage since the mid 1990s. Ray Davies announced a reunion with his brother and possibly Mick Avory returning to the fold to record new material.
Dave Davies suffered a stroke in 2004 but has recovered nicely and apparently is well enough to participate.

rickxyz
Msg: 3
The Kinks
Posted: 5/14/2009 3:26:21 PM
the kinks of course! What a guitar sound, and what great songwriters. I recently heard an obscure song by them "love me till the sun shines" or something like that, and it made me realize the who might have been influenced by them, if you hear this song.
 good guitar player
Msg: 4
view profile
History
The Kinks
Posted: 5/14/2009 4:18:34 PM
Waterloo sunset is one of the BEST guitar solos. Still my favorite tune of theirs is Victoria, which has some cool licks. Even do it again and living on a thin line from their next to last album was great stuff, where there peers were putting out crap in the mid 80's
 yeswho
Msg: 5
view profile
History
The Kinks
Posted: 5/14/2009 9:54:53 PM
Surprised that noone mention the song Celliud Heros.One of my faborite sons of all time.Anyone remembers the VH1 show called storytellers> Ray Daves did an episode,it was awesome.
 salamander000
Msg: 6
view profile
History
The Kinks
Posted: 5/15/2009 1:37:41 AM
of course! All their songs make me smile and feel like dancin. Very zoot suit, very 40's. Love "Living on a Thin Line" "Low Budget" "20th Century Man" "Wonder Boy "Animal Farm" "Fancy" (ohh Fancy!) and so on ...

"Sunny Afternoon" runs thru my mind frequently
 Balboa 4 U
Msg: 7
view profile
History
The Kinks
Posted: 5/25/2009 6:12:32 PM
I was listening to the "Lola vs. Powerman" album today. I've been having some trouble at work lately so I climbed into Ray's world for awhile. Of all the observations on society and fame Ray has made over the years, "Lola" is by far the most accessible for me. It's the one I can get really inside of and find a place to sit down. Thank God for songs like "Lola" and those funny pieces where the main character on the record (Ray?) is trying to break into the music biz are included to offer some humor and balance to the overall sadness of the record. Songs like "Long Way From Home," "This Time Tomorrow," and "Get Back In Line" get me everytime. The words really hit home and Dave sounds as if he's crying while he's singing in the background. The way Ray sings "Apeman" makes it sound funny, happy, and a little childlike, but beneath it all is a very profound observation on the plight of urbanism. It's perhaps uncharacteristic of Ray to end it on such a high note. "Got To Be Free" seems somewhat out of place. Perhaps a better ending song would have been the best song off "Soap Opera," "Face In The Crowd." In this song, Ray concludes that despite all his struggles for fame and notoriety, he's really just a ordinary guy after all. I guess he felt "Got To Be Free" was an extension of the optimisim he introduced on "Apeman." That is, that no matter how bad the world treats you, you're ok if you have your woman by your side. Anyway, it's a fantastic record and it will always remain a favorite of mine.

Oh, and I concur with salamander000. "Fancy" has got to be the eeriest and most arresting song in the Kink's catalogue. WOW!
 Beachippy
Msg: 8
view profile
History
The Kinks
Posted: 5/25/2009 8:40:09 PM
the Kinks were the "punks " of their time compared to the rest of the "pop" bands of the 60's.. the bad boys...

"I'm not like everybody else" has been mentioned as one of the earlier punk attitude songs...

I get goose bumps watching that footage of an older Ray Davies in a cap&Mac doing Waterloo Sunset on acoustic guitar at Glastonbury? was it? under the double shell stage...
and as the camera panned the crowd you could see the song meant a whole lot to the festival crowd.... a great piece of musical history.... I would have loved to have been there on that day to see him live....
 kornbluth
Msg: 9
view profile
History
The Kinks
Posted: 5/26/2009 2:00:54 AM
Certainly one of the great bands. Ray Davies' lyrics are worth browsing. A song I particularly like is "Muswell Hillbilly Boy." It's all about NOT being an American hillbilly, but it sure SOUNDS authentic. Good job.
 Yankee fan 37
Msg: 10
The Kinks
Posted: 5/26/2009 4:31:19 PM
Great 60s band. "You Really Got Me" is a decent song, But "Lola," anyway for my taste, is their standard-bearer. It's one of those timeless songs.
 Thatguy67
Msg: 11
view profile
History
The Kinks
Posted: 6/25/2010 7:21:30 AM
Some sad news from the Kinks kamp.

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/music/story/2010/06/25/quaife-kinks-obit.html

RIP
 holby
Msg: 12
The Kinks
Posted: 6/25/2010 4:07:54 PM
great group from muswell hill north london
just recently ray davies and a woman companion where in louisiana somw one tried to nick her bag he gave chase and was shot in the leg
they made some great records top band in there day
 _Icon_
Msg: 13
The Kinks
Posted: 6/26/2010 1:14:04 AM
I was reading a Chrissie Hynde biography where she talked about idolizing the Kinks when she was young. She told a story about a conversation she had with a friend while they were attending a Kinks show. The other girl said something about wanting to get Ray Davies autograph. Chrissie said "To hell with his autograph, I want to have his baby."

She had no idea at the time that 10 years later she and Ray would indeed have a child together.
 time_lord_uk
Msg: 14
view profile
History
The Kinks
Posted: 6/29/2010 5:54:17 AM
My Mum got more than Ray Davies' autograph back in 1968 - she and a couple of friends went swimming with him and the band at the Prestatyn Lido after a gig!
I could've been Ray's love-child if they all ended up skinny dipping!
 theseus82
Msg: 15
The Kinks
Posted: 7/24/2010 5:01:23 PM
I'm amazed that I made it this long without really listening to them. A couple of months ago, though, Waterloo Sunset became one of my favorite songs. I also dig Well-Respected Man. There's a lot in there that I don't care for, the overly jangly Brit-pop sound, but despite that, I think the Kinks are underrated. Many of the songs I've heard are comparable to the Beatles.
 jettlightning
Msg: 16
view profile
History
The Kinks
Posted: 8/2/2010 9:29:37 PM
I recently saw Ray Davies perform, the guy is as great as ever. I've been a Kinks fan since childhood.
 SoldAsIs
Msg: 17
view profile
History
The Kinks
Posted: 8/3/2010 11:18:41 AM
Yeah, the Kinks were pretty cool. Underrated to be sure. Kinda like the Animals, who I believe were even MORE underrated. Neither really comparable to the Beatles, but both, IMHO, better than the Stones.
 theseus82
Msg: 18
The Kinks
Posted: 8/6/2010 10:56:40 PM
Ohh, yeah, the Animals ruled.
 tarotdream
Msg: 19
view profile
History
The Kinks
Posted: 8/7/2010 3:04:14 AM
Help me, help me, help me
won't you please.
I gotta big fat momma,
tryin' to drown me.

The Electric Dwarf wishes he were six feet tall.

I went to my local dealer to see if he could set me straight
He said there's a little gas going but you have to wait
But he offered some red hot speed and some really high grade hash
But a gallon of gas can't be purchased anywhere for any amount of cash

Gotta open your eyes,
gotta get computerized.
Think visual.
Think visual.

There goes a piece of the president's brain.

WCVR KONK, WSOS, are we still on that playlist?
Well, it's anybody's guess

But when he puts on that dress,
he looks like a princess.

You say your energies new,
bu t it looks well tested

I'd really like to change the world
And save it from the mess it's in
I'm too weak, I'm so thin
I'd like to fly but I can't even swim

All the wars that were won and lost,
don't seem to matter very much anymore.

Ooooooooooooh! Permanent wave!

I used to have this spot on Main Street
It was bounding, it was hot
It was dark, it was dirty
But dull it was not
The joint was jumping every night
But now it's just a parking lot

Your attitude is downright rude
Your jokes appall me, they're so crude
Why don't you just drop dead and don't recover

I remember, when you were down
And you needed a helping hand
I came to feed you
But now that I need you
You won't give me a second glance

But the last time I played Father Christmas
I stood outside a department store
A gang of kids came over and mugged me
And knocked my reindeer to the floor

And the old see dog says shiver me timbers
The sky's gone black
And it's like the dead of winter

I'm on a low budget,
say it again.
I'm on a low budget,
I thought you said that.

I think I'm sophisticated
'Cos I'm living my life like a good homo sapien
But all around me everybody's multiplying
Till they're walking round like flies man
 kinksrayfan
Msg: 20
view profile
History
The Kinks
Posted: 2/17/2013 9:14:36 PM
Oh yes... I happened to stumble across this thread and thought I'd bring it to the forfront... I am pleased to see I'm not the only one who loves the Kinks.
 LennyPane
Msg: 21
view profile
History
The Kinks
Posted: 2/19/2013 1:15:26 AM
Love the kinks! The riff masters! Always amazed me how perfect the tone was on their guitars.
 risorgiva
Msg: 22
The Kinks
Posted: 2/19/2013 4:04:22 AM
I'd prefer the velvets to them, they are tolerable but I still think the first album with Nico was truly a mammoth.
 davetwohats
Msg: 23
The Kinks
Posted: 2/27/2013 5:09:56 PM
grew up with the kinks took my first girl to waterloo when we dated great song great band still going
 Cecilly
Msg: 24
The Kinks
Posted: 3/6/2013 5:09:46 AM
Love their song "Celluloid Heroes."
 tank2004
Msg: 25
view profile
History
The Kinks
Posted: 3/6/2013 2:48:40 PM
Blazing on a sunny afternoon