Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > how to describe yourself      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ivanareid
Msg: 1
how to describe yourselfPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Do you find it hard to describe yourself ? I do.
I find it quite funny actually, I've tried. I can't do it.
You'd think at my age of 49 that I could do something that sounds so simple.
Last night I actually went into my daughter's room looked in her big mirror for a few minutes then sat at the dinningroom table and tried to write a description of myself.
It was just a thought that came after reading through some of the posts.......
try it for yourself, see if you can do it.
 ankkka
Msg: 2
view profile
History
how to describe yourself
Posted: 5/16/2009 3:05:58 PM
At my age I know my personality so good...(no secrets !)
my dark and my bright sides...and I like my physical appearance...so to describe myself is sooo easy...

If you like yourself and respect...I don't see any problem!
 firstlight
Msg: 3
how to describe yourself
Posted: 5/16/2009 3:21:02 PM
The best way to do it is to describe your self as your friends and the people that love you and know you the best would.
 ZenBeth
Msg: 4
how to describe yourself
Posted: 5/16/2009 3:40:29 PM
ivanareid:Do you find it hard to describe yourself ? I do.
I find it quite funny actually, I've tried. I can't do it.
You'd think at my age of 49 that I could do something that sounds so simple.
Last night I actually went into my daughter's room looked in her big mirror for a few minutes then sat at the dinningroom table and tried to write a description of myself.
It was just a thought that came after reading through some of the posts.......
try it for yourself, see if you can do it.

When it comes to how I describe myself I rely mostly on honest comments from family, friends and colleagues. And even then I don't spend much time thinking about myself aside from how I can become a better person. And as Voltaire once noted 'Tell me who admires you and loves you, and I will tell you who you are.'

~Beth~
 MizBexReturns
Msg: 5
how to describe yourself
Posted: 5/16/2009 4:45:34 PM
You know the other day I read a woman who described herself as an amazing woman. After I spit out the throw up in my mouth, I started to seriously think about this question and here is how I describe myself.

I am a woman and a human being. As such I long to have the same desire and respect I am willing to give another human being.

Just be real, just be you. All of us no matter how "amazing" we think we are, still put our pants on one leg at a time, still pay taxes and still go to the rest room.

Those of us to proclaim ourselves as amazing are nothing more than arrogant and deserve to be with the same.

Be you, just you, the authentic and real you.
 James Bottomtooth III
Msg: 6
how to describe yourself
Posted: 5/16/2009 5:19:23 PM

...The best way to do it is to describe your self as your friends and the people that love you and know you the best would...

...When it comes to how I describe myself I rely mostly on honest comments from family, friends and colleagues. And even then I don't spend much time thinking about myself aside from how I can become a better person. And as Voltaire once noted 'Tell me who admires you and loves you, and I will tell you who you are"...

The opinions of people that you know are bias and not a true representation of who you are.

If you are going to do this it then would only be fair to post the opinions of people that do not like you as that would balance it out.

It matters less what you say and more how you say it.

"Don't pick them up, don't lay them down"
Maya Angelou

If you accept the compliments then you must also accept the criticisms.
 firstlight
Msg: 7
how to describe yourself
Posted: 5/16/2009 5:40:26 PM
The opinions of people that you know are bias and not a true representation of who you are.

Bull Hockey! The people that know me, know me. My friends and family know that I am not perfect. They know my strengths, my weaknesses, and my short comings. They know what they love about me and what drives them crazy. They have known me my whole life and seen the kind of woman I have become and what lead me here. They know my children and the kind of mother I am. They have worked with me, laughed with me, cried with me, and fought with me.

The people who do not like me do not know me. They are acquaintances that have perceived a wrong doing, been at the wrong place at the wrong time and seen me at my worst, are jealous of me, or are just unhappy people themselves. How could these people give any type of representation of who I am? That makes no sense.
 ivanareid
Msg: 8
how to describe yourself
Posted: 5/16/2009 5:40:39 PM
I agree I like to hear how others can describe themselves. Something that I'd like to be able to do about myself one day. I like & respect myself. That wasn't the thought, I know that there are people who can do this - I just wondered if they'd like to share.
I hear what other say about me and some of my traits - I don't always agree whether it is positive or not.
 *Starstuff*
Msg: 9
how to describe yourself
Posted: 5/16/2009 6:15:31 PM
I can describe my personality. All good things of course. I know most of my not so good qualities also. As far as describing how I look... I'm a goddess.

The Goddess of Willendorf.

prof48
Msg: 10
how to describe yourself
Posted: 5/16/2009 6:50:53 PM
Perhaps it is not always necessary to describe yourself. Often one gives more information by describing the world around them and how they see it. After all, most of us are looking for someone with a shared view of the world. I know that those around me only see compartments or parts of myself colored by their own vision. Its hard for them to see me as I see myself unless they see the world around me in a somewhat similar fashion to the way I see it.
 smuggles1960
Msg: 11
how to describe yourself
Posted: 5/16/2009 7:04:53 PM
I am new to this site, but what interests me is that most of this thread is by women. The one really disappointing thing was the man who is so**** it is unbelievable. I need help in how to describe myself, but he did not help.

Thank you all for being honest.

I would want to be able to say i am old fashioned without people slagging me for it.
I open doors, give up my seat, walk on the street side of a lady etc.

Smuggles
 blueyesrsmiling
Msg: 12
how to describe yourself
Posted: 5/16/2009 7:55:36 PM
I am part of the universe....I have been nurtured to see all good and all bad and have learned to see the lines in between. I have caught the floating specks with my tongue and expanded my horizons with knowledge that has forever changed me. I have discovered spirituality and discovered life beyond ours. I am part of the spirit of my ancestors and have been handed down to generations that have made me. I have seen worlds beyond ours with passage in time. I have become part of movements to better the Earth of my fellow human beings to come. I have been instilled knowledge by my parents and their parents and the generations before....I have gained knowledge by stepping over and learning and loving to a different beat of each heart. Some days I am so happy that it flows into years....those moments that touch me are still instilled in my soul. I have see beauty to cry for a love that died. Memories are part of what is me and what was me. I have nurtured and been nurtured. Received unconditional love and been able to love this way. I am music to some ears, and screeching to others. My sense of humor is always on edge but some fail to see the beauty within. I have stood still and endured pain throughout my soul. Only to find the answer's within. I am all things good and evil and the lines in-between. I have listened to the calls of the wild and understood my beast. To describe our selves in a drop in the bucket. We are so much more than we see. To touch on even a smigget of it isn't even the beginning. So describing ourselves there is no right or wrong answers.........
 Feather Sandwich
Msg: 13
how to describe yourself
Posted: 5/16/2009 8:10:58 PM
I don't describe myself. I have recent pics, so anybody can see what I look like & what my body type is.

My profile is written with a lot of my personality & attitude showing through the words. Anybody who can't get an idea of what I'd be like in person by reading it isn't perceptive enough to be interesting to me, anyway.

Whatever my friends and family might say about me would be coloured by the nature and length of my relationship with them and wouldn't necessarily be what a potential love interest might see or be interested in knowing about me.

I actually get bored really quickly with profiles that go into detail about what kind of man the writer is, especially if he finds it necessary to point out that he doesn't "look, feel, or act his age." Actually, that last doesn't bore me, it makes me lol.

I would far prefer to read a profile like mine, written with a clear sense of the guy's attitudes, experiences, and personality than a bullet-list of what he or somebody else sees as his attractive qualities.
 kpooks
Msg: 14
view profile
History
how to describe yourself
Posted: 5/16/2009 8:16:12 PM
I'm somebody. I'm nobody. I'm light. I'm dark. I'm funny. I'm serious. I'm fluffy. I'm intense. I'm laid-back. I'm driven. I'm technical. I'm artistic. I'm emotional. I'm emotionless. I'm intelligent. I'm stupid. I'm athletic. I'm lazy.

Catch me on any given day and you'll see one or more of these qualities.
 firstlight
Msg: 15
how to describe yourself
Posted: 5/16/2009 8:31:09 PM

I'm fluffy

That did it for me!
 moraima
Msg: 16
view profile
History
how to describe yourself
Posted: 5/16/2009 9:25:36 PM
What you see is what you get. Most people don't believe that until they see it with their own eyes.........................
 LadySqueak
Msg: 17
how to describe yourself
Posted: 5/16/2009 10:14:17 PM
I am 3'4", weigh 400 lbs, have 3 arms and I drool constantly.

That throws off the ones who have no sense of humor...

squeak
 ZenBeth
Msg: 18
how to describe yourself
Posted: 5/17/2009 1:23:12 AM

*starstuff* :I can describe my personality. All good things of course. I know most of my not so good qualities also. As far as describing how I look... I'm a goddess.
The Goddess of Willendorf.

Would have looked like her had I not had breast reduction surgery

~Beth~
 Phoebe48
Msg: 19
view profile
History
how to describe yourself
Posted: 5/17/2009 4:41:53 AM

As far as describing how I look......I'm a goddess.

I haven't described "how I look" in my profile. But, the title "goddess might fit!!
In my profile I state:
NO GRATUITOUS CLEAVAGE SHOTS WERE USED IN THE CONSTRUCTION OF THIS PROFILE.........
See? Because I don't have a pic posted, I've eliminated those who just skim profiles looking for half-naked women and don't really take the time to read anything. (add that to my incompatiblity list)
OP:
I'm beginning to think it doesn't matter one bit what you write in a profile. They're only here for the pictures.
And, if they contact you via email or phone, they want to sex-talk you up.
If you ever make it to the stage where they ask you out on a date, they're only there for the sex.
That pretty much describes the pond I live in.
 bunni007
Msg: 20
how to describe yourself
Posted: 5/17/2009 6:58:44 AM
I can write books and glorify others, yet to write about myself...is so hard. I have deleted my profile numerous times. Sheez.
 bunni007
Msg: 21
how to describe yourself
Posted: 5/17/2009 7:00:00 AM
Oh and I do love that "Fluffy" description. That is very cool. ME.
 farceur
Msg: 22
how to describe yourself
Posted: 5/17/2009 8:19:20 AM
It's easy for me to describe myself as I see myself. It's when I start thinking of how others see me that the job seems pointless. I could present the way I would like to be seen, the way I forbid anyone from seeing me, or how I will probably seem to someone preoccupied with how they are coming across. I decided to let my picture speak for me.
 sweetlilgal2009
Msg: 23
how to describe yourself
Posted: 5/17/2009 9:42:47 AM
I agree with farceur, it's almost pointless to hope that others see us as we wish. I have six brothers and sisters, and it wasn't long before I realized they each viewed me differently, and their views of me say more about THEM than they do anything about me.

Just like the poster who thought "arrogant" when someone posted that they are amazing. Someone else might think "confident" when they read it. Neither assessment is wrong. One values humility, the other not so much, maybe.

In my own profile, I tried to give a sense of where I've been, where I'm going, and what I want. And hopefully, some wonderful man will like what he sees and want to get to know more. And then after getting to know me, that same man will like me just as I am. As my friend said, we all just want to be loved for exactly who and what we are. I don't want to be put on a pedestal - it always ends badly. And I don't want to spend time with a man who insists I need to change, either. Just somebody who likes what he sees and accepts me as I am. I'll do the same.

Some days I am amazing. Some days I am not. I just keep scooting along, trying not to do any damage to anyone, including myself, and enjoying the ride.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 24
view profile
History
how to describe yourself
Posted: 5/17/2009 10:26:39 AM

Bull Hockey! The people that know me, know me. My friends and family know that I am not perfect. They know my strengths, my weaknesses, and my short comings. They know what they love about me and what drives them crazy. They have known me my whole life and seen the kind of woman I have become and what lead me here. They know my children and the kind of mother I am. They have worked with me, laughed with me, cried with me, and fought with me.

The people who do not like me do not know me. They are acquaintances that have perceived a wrong doing, been at the wrong place at the wrong time and seen me at my worst, are jealous of me, or are just unhappy people themselves. How could these people give any type of representation of who I am? That makes no sense.

...Well said firstlight. You are right on the money. Who know me better than my family and friends. My sister would be the first one to tell you that along with my good qualities I have some not so redeeming qualities as well. I'm stubborn, very opinionated, very outspoken when I believe in something or somebody. It takes a lot for me to lose me temper but when I do watch out. I am never intentionally mean or cruel but I can sure get b1tchy and cranky and not always think before I speak.

Like firstlight says, my friends have seen me at my very best and at my very worst, why would I trust someone who hardly knows me to give an informed opinion about me or my character.

Describe myself....I am a good person, trying to be better person, I am a work in progressive.

...maeflowers

SueCat51
Msg: 25
view profile
History
how to describe yourself
Posted: 5/17/2009 10:34:12 AM
Oh goodness - I know I'm eccentric. I march to the beat of my own drum. When I'm passionate about something, I don't hide it. Last of all, I'm a big travel nut. Wish I could spend a year globe trotting, writing about it, and photographing it. I'm working on it bit by bit.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > how to describe yourself