Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > what do men consider "overweight"?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 jersey-girl84
Msg: 1
what do men consider "overweight"?Page 1 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
there seems to be many definitions of what people define as "overweight", and of course...there is always more scrutiny on womens weight than mens weight. just thought it would be interesting to ask the guys what they consider to be unattractive weight wise. for example, is average/curvy attractive and you draw the line at obese? or do you not prefer average weight women and think thin is most attractive?
 Shamefullpride
Msg: 2
what do men consider overweight?
Posted: 5/16/2009 10:36:25 PM
I think I'm over weight. But then I'm picky...

Hope that answers your question.
 LakeCountyGal
Msg: 3
Posted: 5/16/2009 10:40:29 PM
I'm curious about this too. I put my actual weight in my profile but I've always wondered what most men consider "overweight" on a gal.
 michaeld70
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 5/16/2009 10:47:40 PM
To me it depends on the person, I prefer small to medium builds. I've seen thin looking people with no muscle tone, bellies that hang over the pants, everything jiggles, etc. another person who looks twice the size may be solidly built, barely anything to pinch lol. I dont use height/weight because that can be deceiving. With men, would a 6 foot body builder weighing over 250 pounds still be classified as obese because they are X pounds overweight?

Me, I'm overweight, I got a small belly but the rest of me is solid, I dont consider myself at 5'11" and 200 pounds to be obese, although in my pic I was about 30 pounds heavier, wow, that was the biggest I've ever been.

adamavenue
Msg: 5
Posted: 5/16/2009 10:52:13 PM
This is just a general observation and follows chats with my male friends on the same subject.

Some guys just don't like any excess weight at all, a couple of my friends really like sleek bodies and its seems from past experience that prettiness or personality are a lower priority.

The next group and i'd guess that this is the majority like a woman to look like a woman and a few curves or extra pounds are fine - dress size wize i'd say this is UK 10-14.

The final group, of which i'm a member - really doesn't mind too much. Me personally love a pretty face and smile and pretty hair, the rest is just how it comes. There can be some great advantages to a larger woman - such as huge breasts.

I think a woman who is comfortable in herself is more attractive than one that frets about losing weight but there's nothing wrong with either.

That was a rubbish answer eh.

ad
 Shamefullpride
Msg: 6
Posted: 5/16/2009 10:56:31 PM
Ok try this one.... 5'2 and size 18!
 WanderingRain
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 5/16/2009 10:56:57 PM
I am overweight, but definitely not pear shaped.
To me, overweight means when one can no longer sit on a regular airline seat.
 jersey-girl84
Msg: 8
Posted: 5/16/2009 11:14:44 PM
I personally don't mind a man who would be considered average weight wise, just not obese. I find men who are super thin unattractive. I'm between 5'5 and 5'6 and weigh 138 so i prefer a man who is taller and i guess, athletic to average...a few extra pounds don't bother me, but to me there is a fine line between a few extra pounds and obese.
 adamavenue
Msg: 9
Posted: 5/16/2009 11:20:20 PM
i'm clinically obese apparently
 CaesarNick
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/16/2009 11:21:29 PM
My opinion on this is that as long as the person isn't obese a few extra pounds are fine. My problem here is girls who look great as they are, but complain that they are fat when they obviously aren't, sadly it’s those girls who when they lose weight, then look dreadful, as their body needs that extra weight. Just be who you are, but if you get obese take steps to curve that if possible, as it’s not healthy.
 techgirl27
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 5/17/2009 12:30:33 AM
I dont see the point? Esp. when I am overweight by the book, but all my pants are a size 6. Yes I'm overweight and a size 6 (and take a medium or small in most tops).
 red_relaxed
Msg: 12
Posted: 5/17/2009 12:41:15 AM
Tough question. I don't know what men consider overweight.

I would hope that they're not superficial enough to care if a woman puts on a few pounds, meaning 10 or 15 which isn't a big deal to me. Some men really like bigger women, and some prefer athletic, some want bone racks.

Wouldn't likely attract a man who doesn't like my body anyway. As long as my guy is satisfied with what he's got, that's all that matters. The trouble would start once he wants to change anything about me. And likewise.

I like a man with a little meat on his bones.
 BonFireKing
Msg: 13
Posted: 5/17/2009 12:46:42 AM
Over weight....a Doctors way to cause you to spend more money! My case in point...I am 5 11, and in the army ,I couldnt exceed 210 lbs! I will agree there is a point of being obese...but that is a mix between weight and health issues. I have dated women who were very curvatious, who were very sexy. It was how they carried themselves, and took care of themselves that caught my eye.
 purplehorizon
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 5/17/2009 2:46:11 AM
Great question.

Surely, there is no bright line between attractive and unattractive, especially considering the fact that men vary somewhat in their preferences, as some prefer thicker women than others. The shape of the body is just as important or even more important. Take Beyonce as just one example. She can gain or lose up to 20 lbs and still be considered uniformly "hot" because of the "hourglass" shape of her body.
It takes just a few seconds for a guy's mind to register whether he likes what he sees and whether he finds it attractive sexy. For instance, looking at one of your last photos (where you are wearing a white/blue dress) will communicate to the vast majority of men that you are a "yes" as you are built quite well.

Thanks,

Ark.
 reborncat
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 5/17/2009 3:50:02 AM
Yeah me too. On the charts I weigh too much but my pants are a size 6 - love to work out to relieve the everyday tension of work, family commitments, etc. I weigh 150 and am 5"8" tall.
 buzzy9876
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 5/17/2009 4:46:15 AM

there seems to be many definitions of what people define as
"overweight

As you state, this is very subjective. One man's man's piggy, is another man's prize. To me, it's not so much the overweight issue, as it is the lazy issue. Obese people tend to be lazy and lack self motivation and tend to battle depression. I know, I work with both. I observe. Here in Maine, obesity is a major issue. That is why I have stated in the past, sarcastically, tongue in cheek( for all you troll feeders). If I have to use a crane to move a roll of fat to see a patch of hair, I'm not going there.
 Bluez
Msg: 17
Posted: 5/17/2009 7:14:58 AM
If you resemble this "8" more than you resemble this "O", you're probably OK.

Bluez
 alv2.0
Msg: 18
Posted: 5/17/2009 7:52:32 AM
As long as people don't go by BMI (as has been indirectly mentioned, a lack/presence of muscle mass can be extremely deceiving).

There are some women who look much better (to me) with a bit of meat on them. A classmate of mine started the year off with a bit of meat on her. She is extremely active and health-conscious (in fact, to me she exhibits some signs of having an eating disorder) and has lost quite a bit of weight now. She still looks healthy, but noticeably thinner. I think she looked better (more solid) before.

Then there are the girls who are genetically rail-thin and look completely fine.

Different body sizes look good on different people. Additionally, different guys find different body sizes attractive. Lesson? Be comfortable in your own skin and be HEALTHY! Some of the healthiest girls I know (eat well and exercise) have a bit of pudge on them. Who cares?
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 19
Posted: 5/17/2009 7:58:32 AM
OP, as most posters have said, you can't get a definitive answer to this question because it varies from person to person. In my time of dating, two men have found me larger than their taste and had the nerve to say so, but one of those men subsequently had a three month relationship with me and we are still friends. My sparkling personality, wit, general attractiveness, and intelligence made up for my 20 extra pounds. He was shorter than most men whom I usually see more than once, but I made allowances for him, too. (Evil grin.)

Other men seemed to find my weight NO problem.

If I have to use a crane to move a roll of fat to see a patch of hair, I'm not going there.

For the love of god (any god), Buzzy, don't you KNOW any line besides this one?

Obese people tend to be lazy and lack self motivation and tend to battle depression. I know, I work with both.

Then your lack of compassion is appalling.
 miss_contemplative
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 5/17/2009 8:20:46 AM

If I have to use a crane to move a roll of fat to see a patch of hair, I'm not going there.

For the love of god (any god), Buzzy, don't you KNOW any line besides this one?

Hahaha! I thought I was the only one who had noticed that. Redundancy sucks sucks doesn't it?

Overweight...having more body fat on you than is considered appropriate (whoever came up with that idea) which brings into question health issues or mobility issues.

I'm thick and curvy but I'm very mobile. I think it comes down to health and mobility. If you can match your partner activity for activity and you feel good and healthy, your weight shouldn't be a major concern.

If you are huffing and puffing your way through everything making it very uncomfortable, it might be time to look at your weight...or do a lot more huffing and puffing until you don't anymore.

I don't mind a little extra weight...but obesity is never hot.
 AHandToHold
Msg: 21
Posted: 5/17/2009 8:24:09 AM
First of all I really didn't see any mention of age and weight. I won't get into all of the scientific factors here other then to say wieght is harder to keep off with age.

Men tend to put on a little belly weight this is usually seen as acceptable by women, as long as it's carried well. As for women some put wieght "most" on thier hips and thighs.
This is usually Ok by the majority of men again if it's within reason. Just ask MC Hammer.

However very few men like women carrying weigth on thier tummy. Mostly as it appears as rolls so to speak. So to be 5'2" 135 with great hips and thighs is considered attractive. To be the same height and weight no butt and lots of tummy happening is considered fat.

Yes I tend to agree with this theory
 slapshot682
Msg: 22
Posted: 5/17/2009 10:05:25 AM
Definitely not you!

I draw the line with most women when they lose that hourglass shape. There are women who really carry extra weight really well (in their hips and chest) and there are some that don't (in their midsections). I prefer a girl who has a little meat on their bones. I just think if I can see ribs and half their collarbone, they're probably too skinny.
 celts123
Msg: 23
Posted: 5/17/2009 10:17:15 AM
Overweight is to me when a person clearly has excess body fat especially on their waist. A few extra pounds is not a big deal. Some women with a few extra pounds can be very attractive. But I'm not attracted to obese women.
 ron62449
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 5/17/2009 10:31:06 AM
There is nothing wrong with a little over weight, as long as they know who to carry it, dress, and self confident about them selves. I've seen some over weight women carry it very well and look GOOD. While I've also seen some fat women walking around in clothes that show every pound. Seen them in spandex tights, pant/sweatsuits that show huge overhangs and rearends. My god, dressing good makes a lot of difference.

Ron
 oneofathought
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 5/17/2009 10:39:41 AM
Yes, girls are less picky on this. We look for personality and that is what makes them goodlooking. With a touch of whatever we can't describe.

I have been told I was wrong and should be classified as skinny, others will agree average. Wish they were all wrong and I could go with athletic but ugg the work out thing. Which some day soon, but not yet so can't go there.

Guys will lie about this too. So I guess it is all in what we perceive are selfs to be. Pictures will tell the story, not to mention first meets.

So, one guys opinion is going to be different then next. And we have to go what we believe not society! But average is always the easy pick and ones average maybe the nexts once not.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > what do men consider "overweight"?