Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Why Plenty of Fish?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 factnotfiction
Msg: 1
Why Plenty of Fish?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Why did you guys choose to use Plenty of Fish? Are you currently using any other dating sites?

Are you here looking for friends, dates, or relationships?

What would be a deal breaker on here--as in, what would someone say in a message/email/phone call to you that would make you be like, "delete, block, goodbyyyye!"

Thanks in advance!
 Connor-19
Msg: 2
Why Plenty of Fish?
Posted: 5/19/2009 9:46:09 PM
Most people are going to be here for a relationship.

I'm not on any other dating sites.

Dealbreakers for me:

Someone whose not in my comfort zone for physical appearances. While I try to be open I have my limits.

People who think I am the best damn thing in existence since they have met me. While extremely rare these people tend to be incredibly clingy and paranoid. I'm talking about the people who talk to you for like 5 minutes and think you're the one. This tells me they're probably incredibly lonely and will settle for anyone who will go for them.

An annoying person who usez anyin txt spch liek dis cuz etz 2 hrd 2 typ out da entir sntnce.
 mynamesnotjesus
Msg: 3
Why Plenty of Fish?
Posted: 5/19/2009 11:29:46 PM

Why did you guys choose to use Plenty of Fish?

I can speak for the rest of "you guys" but my reason is that it's free, and there are so many negative reviews for the paid sites.

Are you currently using any other dating sites?

No. The same people on those sites are also on here. Kind of pointless.

Aren't "friends" and "dates" types of relationships?
I am not looking for anything, but maybe I will notice someone I might not otherwise have run into.

What would be a deal breaker on here--as in, what would someone say in a message/email/phone call to you that would make you be like, "delete, block, goodbyyyye!"

If I received a message that said:
This is your mother! Why won't you tell us where you live now? Me and my goiter need a place to crash, the crack is wearing off!
or
My name is !tgunka. I am a prince frum Nigeria. I ned yur help. I will send you 10,000 dollers, if you send me 9,000 you can keep their rest.
or
Hey. What's up. Nice profile. Wanna chat. (or any variant using one of those four statements by itself)
or
Don't you owe me money?
or
I got the test back today...we need to talk.

Other than that anything is welcome.
 barbee1970
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Why Plenty of Fish?
Posted: 5/19/2009 11:52:25 PM
It's totally free unless you want to upgrade. Other sites charge us to talk to someone.They forget that we have free speech, I guess.

A dealbreaker for me would be drinkers. I don't want to have to block, but if he's obsessive I guess I don't have much alternative. I mean if I say no and he doesn't take no.
 psssst
Msg: 5
Why Plenty of Fish?
Posted: 5/20/2009 3:49:09 AM

Its free and has the best forums on any social site.

No.

Forums... and eventually I'll get back into the relationship thing...

Rudeness... asking for or discussing sex...
 Jewels49
Msg: 6
Why Plenty of Fish?
Posted: 5/20/2009 4:32:39 AM
^^^^^^^ You said it all...plus anybody with "69" in their name, unless it's their birthdate. I doubt very much they are into meaningful banter.
 Vancer
Msg: 7
Why Plenty of Fish?
Posted: 5/20/2009 4:45:27 AM
I came here for the potato crisps.
Oooooohhhh.
I love potato crisps.

*rubs hands together excitably*

But then I had found they were all out of potato crisps, by the time I had gotten here.
And now I must wander aimlessly throughout POF. The sound of my haunting wail, echoing through these potato crispless halls.
 farceur
Msg: 8
Why Plenty of Fish?
Posted: 5/20/2009 5:59:24 AM
These forums help me stay single. It's next to impossible to be enthusiastic about a next relationship when I can check in here and see the various ideas, attitudes and horror stories that sit like heads on spikes warning all who approach. It has helped me understand each of my past relationships from the point of view of their and my idiocy, ignorance, unrealistic expectations, as well as the basic human comedy that is benign and entertaining. At other sites, not that I looked lately, it's about ads and schemes for matching by questionnaire. I know I am not what women want, I am what they won't settle for. Here at POF I get to not only keep that fact freshly in my face, to counteract any lingering desire for romance that age has not yet fully extinguished, I also get to relive the worst memories of my personal catastrophes by reading the Broken Hearts forum. It hurt so bad! How could she! Why did I? Ah, sweet misery of life, at last, I've found you! And the either perverse or merely absurd thing is, with all that, because there are wimmins here, maybe, just maybe, she will happen along...and so in conclusion I think it's because the site is helpful for adjusting to the sad fact of being past my expiration date, but not yet in the ground. Who wants a kiss?
 MizBexReturns
Msg: 9
Why Plenty of Fish?
Posted: 5/20/2009 6:15:44 AM
Someone told me about POF and then I found my true love on POF....THE FORUMS

Yes, I am on another site and no it is not free, totally different audience. That is where I date the most from.

Here in the pond, I have made a number of good friends, to date there has only been one man that I was very very interested in last Spring, right around this time actually, but I screwed it up, since then it has been just a friend site, but who knows it could happen again.

Crude talk...No. 1 Offense. BYE, BYE.
 Thatguy67
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Why Plenty of Fish?
Posted: 5/20/2009 6:35:45 AM
It was free and I wanted to find another way to meet women.
 urinemyway
Msg: 11
Why Plenty of Fish?
Posted: 5/20/2009 8:15:31 AM

plus anybody with "69" in their name, unless it's their birthdate. I doubt very much they are into meaningful banter.

Yeah, but you have "49" in your user name, which is as gross as 69-ing. I would never do that with anyone, not even if we were married! 49 your own jewels - leave me out!

P.S. - Farceur's post is hall-of-fame quality.
 Jewels49
Msg: 12
Why Plenty of Fish?
Posted: 5/20/2009 12:49:54 PM
[Yeah, but you have "49" in your user name, which is as gross as 69-ing. I would never do that with anyone, not even if we were married! 49 your own jewels - leave me out!]

Did I miss something....or did you??...it's my age!!!! followed by an abreviation of my name (this could be a problem if I was a man) Please inform me, as I am not aware, what a "49" is. Have no fear, you are not invited!
 billebob01
Msg: 13
Why Plenty of Fish?
Posted: 5/20/2009 1:03:34 PM
I am on another dating site.I enjoy the forums.Dont see much,as far as sombody dating,even tho I am sure it happens.Most people talk about not finding anybody.
 GubbleBum
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Why Plenty of Fish?
Posted: 5/20/2009 2:46:47 PM
Three of my friends told me about PoF, so I decided to check it out. I am using another site, the site I belonged to before I joined here. I like the other site a lot, but it lacks forums, or I can't find them!

I'm looking for friends and that special best friend/lover/partner.

Messages ... someone not willing to open up to me will make me silent. A phone call ... any sort of racist, elitist, chauvanistic, overly religious remarks will put me on hold. Mentally unstable people and drunks will send me running. "Tough guy" remarks like the one some guy made to me on the phone, about his buddies "taking care of" the guy his wife was cheating with, and similar discussions of violence/violent remarks, will send me into hiding.

I enjoy the forums, that's what keeps me around. I've made more friends here than I've had dates, but that's okay!
 psssst
Msg: 15
Why Plenty of Fish?
Posted: 5/20/2009 2:50:51 PM

Did I miss something....or did you??...
I believe he was pulling your leg...

Going back to what you had said about the '69' thing being in screen names... I was born in 1969 and when I first created a disposable mail address it had 1969 in the name... *so hard to get decent hotmail ids now-a-days*...

Some of the messages I got from previously respectful guys was out of this world... so even if it's your year of birth, ladies should pick some other way of unique identifiers...
 Amma63
Msg: 16
Why Plenty of Fish?
Posted: 5/20/2009 3:36:20 PM

It's a "no charge" site.......well, for the most part now.....
The forums by far surpass any others on the web
It's 'user' friendly

As a matter of fact, I just re-enlisted on a site I had previously belonged to, just last night.......

It varies............I came here looking for a relationship. I've found wonderful friends from all over the place. Sometimes, it's a forum only thing..........

Gonna go with psssst on this one...........rudeness, for sure!!~

B.
 Jewels49
Msg: 17
Why Plenty of Fish?
Posted: 5/20/2009 4:04:19 PM
[I believe he was pulling your leg... ]

Thank you for clearing that up.
 AngelWings_X3
Msg: 18
Why Plenty of Fish?
Posted: 5/20/2009 4:26:36 PM
Plenty opf fish was free short and simple and to the point lol.
 minako79
Msg: 19
Why Plenty of Fish?
Posted: 5/20/2009 7:48:03 PM
I like the forums the best, its quite entertaining and informative. and also, for friendships (for now looking to built something there if it happens) and I don't expect to find the love of my life here - I am open but i know about not to search too hard.

I still have an account with Lavalife - I rarely use it and not to mention, I had zero luck on paid sites.
 ~Music
Msg: 20
Why Plenty of Fish?
Posted: 5/23/2009 8:17:51 AM
Although I had never been on a dating site before I chose to join POF after seeing a friend do so well with his match from here. (They are married now). I was recently single again and figured "What the heck...". Nope, not on any other sites although I am considering going to one of the paid sites just to see if it is more legit. I am thinking probably not though.

Still haven't figured out why I am here. Initially it was to date a few, changed my mind, went into hiatus, changed my mind again, and so on... Now I stay because of the friends, the forums and a few interesting people. I think I am a forum junkie now. If something happens in the middle of that then I will welcome it. I have learned to have NO expectations other than to be treated with respect and attempt some fun.

My deal breaker comes when someone gets insulting. Demanding, stalking, weirdo behavior is not flattering. One pushed it so far that I did report him. Now he is on my 'Chemistry' list.
 laughing_fire
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Why Plenty of Fish?
Posted: 5/23/2009 11:24:21 AM
I just joined because I heard a few friends use it. Seems good enough. It is really hard to meet people because most people work crazy hours.
 adelica
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Why Plenty of Fish?
Posted: 5/23/2009 1:01:02 PM
I agree with some of the preivous comments... mostly it was the free thing that did it for me... i though why not? I'm not using any other dating sites but i have...found them on the whole to be a wate of time. I'm not sure what I'm looking for in the beginning it was a date...been single now for sooo long..lol But gradually as that becomes more unlikely i think Friends would be more accurate... A deal breaker for me would be a sexual/ fetish or demanding a date in first few messages. It's just annoying frankly..
 gracengracie
Msg: 23
Why Plenty of Fish?
Posted: 5/23/2009 2:09:05 PM
Its free and has the best forums on any social site.

No.

Forums...(not this > and eventually I'll get back into the relationship thing...<) and make a couple of new good friends

Rudeness... asking for or discussing sex...

I agree with PSSSSt...plus this site also has good quality people. I have been lucky to make a bunch of good friends and of all different backgrounds. I learned a lot from each of them.

and after all the whining ( mine included) I realize I dont miss the IM a bit.
 robert20092009
Msg: 24
Why Plenty of Fish?
Posted: 5/23/2009 2:34:46 PM
I choose it because I dislike drinking and have no interest in meeting drunk girls at a bar lol. I work and have interest that really don't allow me to meet many girls so I choose this site cause lol my mom found a good guy on it so I figured what the heck right.

I am also trying e harmony feels weird but I figure what is my happiness worth and the answer was enough to pay for it lol.

I am looking for something that could become special but everything needs to start as a good friendship.

As for deal breakers Honestly for anything more then friends its Overweight( not a little but I mean like 15-20+kilo's I work hard to stay in shape and I would like a woman who did as well, Vulgarity and the punk talk are annoying. and hobbies like " I love to get wasted and drink till I can't see straight then fu$% anyone I see"
 AwP
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Why Plenty of Fish?
Posted: 5/23/2009 3:53:45 PM
I belong to this site and OkC (also free), when I got out of a long relationship I checked a bunch of sites out and these two seemed best. OkC has a better matching system (not perfect, but "completely random" isn't too hard to beat), I actually met someone off of there that lasted 1 1/2 years or so, but I really liked the forums here. The "free" bit also played a part, after all, I don't want someone who's stupid enough to pay for something that you can get for free.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Why Plenty of Fish?