Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Why do you need my email address?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 justbunky
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Why do you need my email address?Page 1 of 1    
Why do men email on PoF only to ask for a personal email? This IS email!

Your thoughts anybody? I don't like to give out my personal address to strangers who could then google me or whatever.
 eschec mat
Msg: 2
Why do you need my email address?
Posted: 5/22/2009 2:40:58 PM
Google your name? Get a hotmail, gmail, or other email address. Personally I wanted a guy to email me from their email because I found attached men wouldn't give it out. They always had excuses for not email at my email address. They just didn't want their email history to show they were emailing women.

I wouldn't give my phone number through this site. It is less secure than a regular email address.
 Erai
Msg: 3
Posted: 5/22/2009 2:57:08 PM
They might want the option to pick up your emails and respond from work. Many employers block internet access to dating/social networking sites but they can access hotmail, yahoo etc.

Just create a web based email to give them.
 edencapwell
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 5/22/2009 3:01:48 PM
paranoid much? what's the big deal anyway? just get an extra email account at Yahoo, Google or MSN, etc., sheesh.
 Abbicci
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 5/22/2009 3:22:23 PM
I don't give out my personal email until I have met and dated someone a few times.
I do not feel a need to share my email with someone I haven't met yet.
 Jim978
Msg: 6
Posted: 5/22/2009 3:36:07 PM

No, this ISN'T email. Email is an open system. What PoF provides is a closed system of messaging. The two are very different. To message someone here you have to log into PoF. Email can be sent between different systems.

Others have mentioned some of the many possibilities. Another is that many people have email service through their cell phone/blackberry. While PoF can be accessed through a web service on a cell phone it isn't as easy as a straight email.
 afashionlady
Msg: 7
Posted: 5/22/2009 3:39:18 PM

No, this ISN'T email. Email is an open system. What PoF provides is a closed system of messaging. The two are very different. To message someone here you have to log into PoF. Email can be sent between different systems.

Jim is very right. And as far as the googling thing sister...lol. Did you know that you can google your username from POF? (jsut adding to the paranoia).

If there's a guy you're halfway interested in, wouldn't you want to talk to him outside of POF? I can understand SOME caution but paranoia doesn't become you.
 Sepia777
Msg: 8
Posted: 5/22/2009 3:57:31 PM
If I am interested in with a guy for possible real time, I will give him my personal email addy.... why not?
Besides.. when I use my own personal email, I can do without the censoring of words that happens when you message on here.. (not just the dirty words either).... you cant even write the word "My space" in the messaging system on here .. it comes out as
"spam"...
I don't wish to be censored or edited when I am talking one on one with a guy... and feels more personal to me....
 ForumFilly
Msg: 9
Posted: 5/22/2009 4:03:44 PM
When my guy initially emailed me, he included his personal email address in case I preferred to contact him there. By doing so, I was able to google him and find out he was exactly who he professed to be. His email address was his full name. In fact, many of his accomplishments he never even mentioned, until I discovered them online. I appreciate his honesty and sincerity as well as it moved our relationship to a more personal level. We could exchange photos and IM each other. I prefer not to have to sign onto a website to communicate with him.
 m-unit709
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/22/2009 4:12:00 PM
Nobody needs it if you just meet in person!:)
 star*tossed
Msg: 11
Posted: 5/22/2009 7:31:47 PM
I prefer to keep all communication through this setting. Won't give out my personal Im or email, or phone. I'm a private gal. And safe
 ejesq
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 5/22/2009 7:40:41 PM

I can see why men do it on the pay sites like E-Harmony and Match, because they're too cheap to actually pay the registration fee. But it really makes no sense to ask for a personal e-mail address on a free site like POF.
 fuggin_nutz
Msg: 13
Posted: 5/22/2009 8:21:06 PM
Because sometimes it's nice to exchange a few naughty photos before meeting up. Helps build sexual stimulation for a successful first date.

Seriously OP, there's many good reasons. The exchange of larger, clearer photos of ones self or photos of a shared interest. For instant messaging via yahoo or MSN. I'm sure there are other reasons but that's what I normally exchange email addresses for.
 briargate
Msg: 14
Posted: 5/22/2009 8:50:04 PM
The main reason I ask anyone for their e-mail address is so that I can send messages to them while at work. I would not want to visit this site or anything like it even at lunch while at work, would you? And really, I think e-mail is less intrusive than texting or leaving voice messages. It's pretty low key all told.

Look at it this way, at least he didn't ask for your Twitter account.
 younowho
Msg: 15
Posted: 5/22/2009 9:04:00 PM
Reason's.

You get timed out if you take to long typing a message , often loosing everything..

Have you ever sent a photo on this site ? No ?

If you happen to be making every day do you like having to link to here to read your mail ?

The #1 reason is so we can get your address stalk you, then break in your lovely home and steal your dirty panties and sell them on evil Bay.

Why do women always want your Email address ?
 aSydneyMale
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 5/22/2009 9:04:36 PM

because they're too cheap to actually pay the registration fee.

I used to use a pay site and all they were interested in was sucking money out of me and I had no better chance of getting a date than on this site, less as a matter of fact, because your coin pays for very limited contacts, at first they even charged you to change your profile pic.

To call a bloke cheap because he doesn't want to be ripped-off is unfair, the pay sites only came about when they realised how popular the free dating categories were on the search engines.

This site and Oasis are fantastic and they have the forums to boot!
 Girl_Interupted
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 5/22/2009 9:17:42 PM
no more like, DO YOU YAHOO? no I don't and get lost
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Why do you need my email address?