Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > UFC 99: Rich Franklin vs. Wanderlei Silva      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 equalizure
Msg: 1
UFC 99: Rich Franklin vs. Wanderlei SilvaPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
This should be a decent card with two guys whom are trying to legitimaize themselves as contenders in the LH division. Honestly, Silva needs it more than Franklin does, IMO.

I can't wait to see the return on Caol Uno on this card...

According to the commercials, Heath Herring is supposed to fight Cain Velasquez, however UFC.com show's Velasquez' opponent to be Cheick Kongo. Does anyone have any clarification?
 nxtx
Msg: 2
UFC 99: Rich Franklin vs. Wanderlei Silva
Posted: 5/29/2009 4:11:32 AM
Kongo is definitely in. UFC.com posted an article about it last week, I think. As for Wand/Rich, I'm mixed about the fight. On the one hand, you've got Wand trying to get down to 185 and on the other you've got Rich trying to stay at 205. So... they settled for a 195lb catchweight. Should be interesting, but I've got to give Wand a slight nod. His power and his clinch could be the deciding factors here. Should be nice to see Uno as well. Been quite awhile.
 ONE2ENV
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2009 9:21:31 PM
Rich's technical boxing will pick Wand apart. He will out point him for three rounds and take the decision.

Wands only chance is if he lands a bomb like he did on Jardine. ..I dont see it. Rich is too smart for that. His cardio will be way better then Wandys (and wandys isnt even that bad) so there will be no gassing on franklins part. Also come fight time expect franklin to come in with more muscle mass on his frame then wands. I dont see Wandy working any clinch here. Rich learned that the hard way from the other Silva. He will stick and move all night long.
 Mayor_McCheese
Msg: 4
Posted: 5/29/2009 10:07:51 PM
^
Keep dreaming Tuffer fan.

Wanderlei by KO.
 Vanders Mark
Msg: 5
Posted: 5/30/2009 12:09:55 PM
It will be interesting to see if Franklin picked up any fancy footwork from the Spider and if he can use it effectively....

Something tells me Franklin might end Wandy's career....
 ONE2ENV
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 5/30/2009 6:52:21 PM
Hahahaha If you think wand will beat Rich your dreaming! Tell me how will he win... Lemme guess.. Either the clinch or one big punch..

-Franklin has better cardio
-Franklin has a much much better overall and recent record
-Franklins boxing and footwork is better
-Franklin will not be bullied around as he will likely be the bigger fighter come fight time
-Franklin is training with Anderson right now on clinch work and knees
-Henderson is a master of the clinch and Franklin more then held his own

This is mma, anything can happen at anytime. But on paper, Rich should win this with little problems.

Do you really think Rich is going to be as sloppy as Jardine??? I dont see Rich getting caught. He will not gas.
 Mayor_McCheese
Msg: 7
Posted: 5/30/2009 7:31:29 PM

Hahahaha If you think wand will beat Rich your dreaming! Tell me how will he win... Lemme guess.. Either the clinch or one big punch..

-Franklin has better cardio
-Franklin has a much much better overall and recent record
-Franklins boxing and footwork is better
-Franklin will not be bullied around as he will likely be the bigger fighter come fight time
-Franklin is training with Anderson right now on clinch work and knees
-Henderson is a master of the clinch and Franklin more then held his own

This is mma, anything can happen at anytime. But on paper, Rich should win this with little problems.

Do you really think Rich is going to be as sloppy as Jardine??? I dont see Rich getting caught. He will not gas.

How is Rich Franklin going to beat Wanderlei Silva? Franklin has never beaten anyone of note - unless you count his victories over Hamill and Lutter, I mean, wow, they're famous for living in a house with a punch of other guys. That's quite an accomplishment. Even his victory over the once great Ken Shamrock was a blantant work.

Now, to address some of your other points:

- Franklin has better cardio? Proof? Wanderlei has never gassed in a fight.
- Better record and overall record? Since when is padding your career fighting C and D level fighters worth anything?

Wanderlei has beaten all of the following fighters in their prime: Rampage twice, Sakuraba 3 times, Henderson, Ricardo Arona, Yuki Kondo and others. Franklin can't touch Silva's resume. It's not even close.

- It's not a boxing match. It's a fight. Reach and stylish boxing don't matter much at all. Silva can be susceptible to straights, but hopefully he is correcting that.

- I don't know how Franklin is going to be the bigger fighter when Wanderlei cuts to get to 205. Franklin can't hold a candle to Wanderlei's aggressiveness.

-Training with Anderson Silva on knees and clinching is wonderful and all, but Wanderlei has been doing it for years and years.

- Henderson is not a master of the clinch. Henderson is a master of wrestling and Franklin fought that entire fight like he was scared, trying to stay as far away from Dan as possible. It made for a very boring fight and it is a shame Franklin did not have points deducted for his timidity.

Franklin better pray to God that Silva is still suffering the effects of his KO loss to Quinton Jackson still and is lacking confidence in their fight. I expect Silva to come out guns blazing and Franklin is getting wrecked. He can only run for so long.

Even though Wanderlei is not what he once was, he can still beat Franklin. If he can't, he should retire.
 Vanders Mark
Msg: 8
Posted: 5/30/2009 8:27:49 PM

Franklin better pray to God that Silva is still suffering the effects of his KO loss to Quinton Jackson

One reason I have a feeling Franklin might end his career....

I expect Silva to come out guns blazing and Franklin is getting wrecked.

Well...he didn't come out guns blazing against Jackson...maybe he'll feel the pressure to go for broke and get that KO...

Records don't mean shit...Wandy hasn't looked too good lately...and you really have to wonder....he took a beating from Chuck for three rounds and didn't flinch....then Rampage knocks him out cold with one shot....fact of the matter is...I think Silva's taken one too many shots to the ole noggin'....

I f*ckin' hate the trend of fighters dropping weight whenever they suffer a devastating loss...
 Mayor_McCheese
Msg: 9
Posted: 5/30/2009 9:00:13 PM
^
Wanderlei really hasn't been the same since his fight with Cro Cop. He was coming off two consecutive KO losses when he was put into a difficult situation headlining in his return to the UFC against Liddell. That was the only way Chuck was ever going to beat Silva. He lucked out there.

Speaking of Chuck and weight loss, maybe he'll be asked to drop weight by Dana if he ever wants to fight in the Octogon again, lol.

I really don't think Franklin has to tools to beat Wanderlei. Shell shocked or not. I'll be really surprised if it happens and I will apologize for having a rational thought process to all that I've offended in this thread.

This fight should be positioned as another PRIDE vs. UFC fight.
 ONE2ENV
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 5/30/2009 11:26:28 PM
Ummmmmmm....... Silva is 1-4 in his last 5! And 3 of those loses were brutal KO loses.

I just dont think he has the fire anymore. Your right, it seems the cro cop head kick was the start of his blatant downfall. Looks like his marbles are mush now.. And at a mere 32..
 st-pierre
Msg: 11
Posted: 5/31/2009 8:28:53 AM
I see Franklin's striking being far superior and to technical for Silva. 2nd round tko in favour of Rich!
 ONE2ENV
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 5/31/2009 9:33:05 PM
I agree st pierre..Wandy is on borrowed time!
 vincenz26
Msg: 13
Posted: 6/1/2009 9:35:21 PM
I agree Silva seems to be slowing down now, but the guys hands are still like friggin cinderblocks lol
 isolated1
Msg: 14
Posted: 6/2/2009 1:08:27 PM
franklin is going to sleep, his boxing and kickboxing and muay thai are avg at best offensively, he has good footwork; but has problems w/pressure fighters, not to mention a less than dependable chin.

i just see silva jumping on him and beating the hell out of him, his striking is only ok, an while he has good power; its not the kind of power rampage has, nor are his hands/counters as crisp as rampages. He will land hard shots, but silva's pressure will break down his def footwork and smother his off; wanderlei by ko.

r
 equalizure
Msg: 15
Posted: 6/2/2009 4:37:10 PM
It's confirmed: Mirko Crocop is making his UFC return at this card, fighting Mostapha Al-Turk. It will be interesting to see how much he has improved or regressed...
 CChauncey
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2009 7:29:07 PM
I like Franklin. Silva just isn't the same fighter. He relied on sheer aggression, animal ferocity, and a little bit of his opponents being terrified of him, and he's lost a bit or a lot of all three. He was never a technical fighter, don't see him getting Franklin in the Thai clinch the way Spider did.

Franklin is a good athlete but he relies on brains more than most to win. They both have a lot to prove and based on their strengths, I can see Franklin coming in close to prime form, whereas I just don't see how Silva can recapture the form of his younger years. Franklin's strengths rely less on youth, I guess that's what I'm trying to say.

More interested in seeing Cain V.
 eon001
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2009 2:02:21 AM
Franklin has got cleaner more technical stand up. I just watched Silvas fight against Rampage. He was just swinging like a mad man with his chin up in the air. You really think Franklin is going to just stand there and trade? The is a technician. He'll do his research and just pick Wand apart.
Some of you guys just don't give Franklin enough credit. He's only career losses have come from to fighters that are current champions in there respective divisions.
 YankeeGuy42
Msg: 18
Posted: 6/3/2009 8:35:36 AM
franklin will win a decision. Would LOVE to see Wandy win by vicious KO, but doubt it. Franklins not stupid enough to stand Toe to Toe and just throw down, he's gonna be technical about it. If he does plan to have a brawl, then my wish may come true. BTW, i like franklin a lot too, just got mucho respect for wand.

really wanna see marcus davis vs. dan hardy. THATS gonna be a brawl
 Mayor_McCheese
Msg: 19
Posted: 6/3/2009 9:57:09 AM

Franklin has got cleaner more technical stand up. I just watched Silvas fight against Rampage. He was just swinging like a mad man with his chin up in the air. You really think Franklin is going to just stand there and trade? The is a technician. He'll do his research and just pick Wand apart.
Some of you guys just don't give Franklin enough credit. He's only career losses have come from to fighters that are current champions in there respective divisions.

Franklin has beat a bunch of nobodies.

He couldn't even finish off the Crow!
 YankeeGuy42
Msg: 20
Posted: 6/3/2009 10:04:00 AM
^^^^^
agree with the nobodies for the most part. But the crow has completely fallen off. At the time of their fight he was probably just a step below rich. He was never the same after that swick fight

This is a great fight by joe silva tho
 ONE2ENV
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2009 6:53:39 PM
Omg.. Another mma math whiz.. 'well this guy beat that guy so this guy must win' get over yourself.

Rampages KO of wandy was no lucky shot. Every time Wand threw a left jab regardless of its power he would drop his right arm rather then keeping it tight leaving his chin very exposed. ..So what does Rampage do.. He throws a couple of stiff jabs at him knowing wandy will chase liking the aggresive fight and just as wandy throws another lame jab Rampage protects his face and comes over the top with a nasty left to the exposed chin! BANG! Done.. Watch the fight again, slow it down, and you will see it all.

Wandy is sloppy, and you will see it June 13th.
 WheelchairBandit
Msg: 22
Posted: 6/4/2009 1:10:43 AM
Wanderlei is one of my all time favorite fighters and he's one of the nicest people in the sport,but I'm sad to say that the guy is seriously shop worn.I've watched damn near every one of Wanderlei's fights,and the guy has taken 10 careers worth of damage already.The bare knuckle days in the IVC did serious damage,and then all those wars in Pride-that first fight with Dan Henderson took a few years off his career for certain.All this stuff adds up over time.All those years of full out,balls to the walls training sessions at Chute Boxe,with Anderson Silva and the Rua brothers knocking the bejesus out of him on a daily basis didn't help any either.

Now it's all caught up with him.Add that to the fact that the sport has finally passed this great warrior by-the man who was thought to be "the new breed" of fighter six or seven years ago has now been left behind.Wanderlei made a career out of destroying fighters who either could not or would not stand and trade with him-hence,he never really needed to develop a refined striking game.Wanderlei has always won his fights on pure agression.Other than a solid Muay Tai clinch,Wanderlei's standup is nothing to write home about-the guy doesn't know how to throw anything other than hooks.Hell,I don't think he can even straighten his arms outs!

Rich Franklin is a bad matchup for Wanderlei.He would have been a bad matchup back in 2004-05 when Wanderlei was still crushing everyone,though Wanderlei's chin was still solid at that point and I'd have leaned twards him to somehow clobber Franklin despite being technicaly outmatched.But we don't have a time machine,and it's the Wanderlei of 2009 that's fighting Rich,and the Wanderlei of today just doesn't have the jaw to brawl with a technical striker like Rich Franklin.

Wanderlei will come out and do his best to put on a show for the fans,because that's the type of guy he is.He'll come out guns a blazin.Rich will sit back and pick his shots.Eventually Wanderlei will leave himself open and get dropped.Sad but true.

I'll be cheering for Wanderlei,and hopefully he can come out and stun Rich and put him away in epic fashion.But the chances of that are pretty damn slim at this point in Wandy's career.I just wish the UFC would give him a couple easy fights and let him retire on a high note,instead of putting him through the ringer like this.The poor guy hasn't fought someone ranked outside of the Top Ten in three years,and that guy was a heavyweight.

WB.
 ONE2ENV
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 6/4/2009 1:25:04 PM
WB- You know your stuff. Its nice to see someone who calls it like it is.. Chuck is prolly my all time fav, but even I will admit that the LHW division has simply evolved on him and passed him over.

Its sad, but its also life. Personally I would love to see another Chuck vs Wand. Put em in there.. Let em swing.. And have it be each of their retirement match. I think it would be a good way to go out.

Two warriors who at one time were the most feared men in the sport, each dominating their respective division on opposite sides of the world.
 WheelchairBandit
Msg: 24
Posted: 6/4/2009 8:19:38 PM
It's hard not to love the guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCltcL2-oAw

I'll say a prayer for him-I won't ask that he win,but that he performs well.I think in the end that's all he really wants as well.

It really hurts to see your hero's age in front of your eyes.You don't want to see them fade away into the sunset.Sports are supposed to be one of our escapes,something to take our mind away from the troubles of "real life".We build up guys like Wanderlei,Couture and Minotauro as larger than life figures in our minds.When we finally see that they are just as vulnerable as anyone else,it brings us crashing back to reality.

It's like seeing John Wayne die at the end of a movie-it just doesn't seem right,you know?

WB.

PS-I agree,they need to let Chuck and Wanderlei fight again and have it be both men's retirement match.It would be very,very fitting and no matter what the outcome,both men would go out swinging,which is how they would want to be remembered.
 CChauncey
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 6/5/2009 2:18:21 PM
He's mostly lost to Hall of Famers. Rich Franklin is scarily the prototype of a new type of fighter who trained in MMA from day one and has no real base style. So understandably, and thankfully, he will get schooled by people who are phenomenal in one area. And I just don't think Silva is that great technically at anything any more and arguably he never was.
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > UFC 99: Rich Franklin vs. Wanderlei Silva