Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Flowers. First meeting. Discuss.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 YpsiEagle
Msg: 1
Flowers. First meeting. Discuss.Page 1 of 1    
I'm not talking a big bouquet of red roses, but what would you ladies think if a guy gave you something small at your first in-person meeting after talking online?

I recognize it could be situation dependent and girl dependent, but I'd love to read your general thoughts.
 RushLuv
Msg: 2
Flowers. First meeting. Discuss.
Posted: 6/9/2009 10:21:12 AM
Nope. I wouldn't mind it. Just as long as it's not a bouquet.

If a guy wants to be generous by handing me a single flower on our first meet, I would think it was a kind gesture.
 Abbicci
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 6/9/2009 10:22:50 AM
I wouldn't want flowers at a first meeting. I did have one guy bring me a great art post card on a first meeting. It was a card of something we had talked about. That was cool, it really showed me he was paying attention. It was very specific, flowers are a bit random and generic.

On a second or third date it would be wonderful.
 *november babee*
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 6/9/2009 10:24:26 AM
this has been discussed quite a few times...

flowers may be appropriate for a first date, but not for a first meet/greet..

i wouldnt be offended or creeped out by flowers on a first meet/greet, but i think they are un neccassary, they give the impression of trying a little too hard..

buy the girl a cup of coffee, really thats all that is needed on a first meeting...
 5tarrynight
Msg: 5
Posted: 6/9/2009 10:39:47 AM
First meet, not totally inappropriate but perhaps its too much too soon.

Second meet and beyond is more meaningful b/c you've at least established that there's mutual interest to seek further, IMO.
 FunkyMonkee
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 6/9/2009 10:44:35 AM
You are screwed on this one m8.

You cant win and the risk isnt worth it in most cases.

At best you'd need one ready to whip out if the moment was right but that goes for other things too eh..

Some women don't get romantic and are more likely to misjudge your intentions than give you a break so early on in a "relationship"
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 6/9/2009 10:46:03 AM
I'd take it as not personal, and someone who was trying to get ahead of the game before he knows if it's even a game he wants to be in.

I have to like the guy first before I find something like that flattering, and then it would have to be something I'd like to get - how would he know if I like flowers if he's never met me?

Cheesy. If I like you once I get there, a flower won't matter - if I don't like you, it still won't matter. If I take it as something you do with all women, then it's ok, but if it's directed at me, I'm going to question its sincerity.
 Lori922
Msg: 8
Posted: 6/9/2009 10:51:49 AM
Def do not want anything given to me during a first meet & greet. That occasion is only to see if there is chemistry IRL and worth moving forward.
Posted: 6/9/2009 11:10:42 AM
Flowers? Sweet! It's a sign of attention to me. I'm from a different culture, so maybe that's why my reaction is different. I don't think it's too generic. Flowers, candies, holding the door never gets old or generic. Just like saying "thank you" or "you're welcome".
I see nothing wrong with him trying to impress me. In fact, I want him to impress me.
Yes to flowers on the first meeting. OK, OK, I'll survive if I don't get flowers and I still might like the guy.
 deeznutswhatdoyougot
Msg: 10
Posted: 6/9/2009 11:11:31 AM
guy giving girl a single flower on meet n greet?

1st of all, what if she is not all cracked up to what she appeared to be from her photos and her sexy voice on the phone, and there is no attraction to her? then you end up standing there like an awkward idiot holding a flower in youre hand.....or hide the thing in youre jacket just in case, what id suggest if you really want to do that.

generally, a guy giving a girl flower on 1st meet, this could mean a couple things to me:

1. he is chasing chubby, older, and only looking to get his noodle wet, looking for some form of FWB arrangement
2. he is a dork
3. he is actually trying to impress her, court her, play the prince charmin role (aka dork)

you choose
 compound_fracture
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 6/9/2009 11:24:58 AM
For whatever reason, I would find this gesture sweet on a regular first date, but kind of off-putting if I were meeting an internet-person.

There's something more endearing and spontaneous-seeming about being given a flower by a guy you've only met once or twice and agreed to date, whereas to be given a flower by a guy you've talked to on a dating site...I don't know. It's like too much romance and too many expectations being put on the line too soon. You might risk coming off as desperate or weird, but on a "regular date," you could seem sweetly eccentric or intriguingly chivalrous.
 Just_2_b_me
Msg: 12
Posted: 6/9/2009 11:49:21 AM
Perhaps not on a first meet, but if I was able to discern a ladies favorite color before a first “DATE” I found that a carnation or similar flower in her fav color was always well received .
(Don’t do Roses too early, as roses have way too many different meanings based on their colors, and you could inadvertently say something you don’t know you are saying and or mean yet) :wink:
 nocatchyname
Msg: 13
Posted: 6/9/2009 11:54:58 AM
Bringing a flower on a first meet is equal to buying a drink at the bar for a stranger...Don't do it. (imo)
 pinciperro
Msg: 14
Posted: 6/9/2009 12:01:54 PM
A flower for the first meet? Nope,, too much pressure for the woman. Then I would feel obligated to be nice to you.
 BBW2Love
Msg: 15
Posted: 6/9/2009 12:09:27 PM
Flowers are over the top. You don't even know if you like each other. Be clean, be neat, be on time and (here is the secret weapon) buy the coffee.
 ~charmed~
Msg: 16
Posted: 6/9/2009 12:11:54 PM
Hmmm... I really like getting flowers... but not the first meet. The first date yes if you are picking her up at home... otherwise where is she going to put them?

~Charmed~

VVV Here I thought we were talking flowers.... I want what Rebel's getting! Silver setting please....
 bklynrebel
Msg: 17
Posted: 6/9/2009 12:12:31 PM
A pair of diamond stud earrings. JUST KIDDING.
 constann
Msg: 18
Posted: 6/9/2009 12:40:37 PM
Nnnnnooooooooooooo

There's no excuse to give a chick off the net flowers on a first meet
 KISS MY A$$
Msg: 19
Posted: 6/9/2009 12:45:14 PM
I once got a box of chocolates.... no argument here.

You could bring me a rose bush. I never look a gift horse in the mouth.

I don't really care for flowers as much as I like it when they bring me buds! Yum yum.
 ~charmed~
Msg: 20
Posted: 6/9/2009 12:55:33 PM

Nnnnnooooooooooooo

There's no excuse to give a chick off the net flowers on a first meet

Chick off the net? Hmmmm.... you are very young so I will let that one go. Nice attitude.

~Charmed~
 massgal75
Msg: 21
Posted: 6/9/2009 3:39:05 PM
I think bringing flowers for first date / meeting is unnecessary. However I think it would be a nice gesture after 2-3 good dates.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Flowers. First meeting. Discuss.