Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Women calling. Do men like it???      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 rjoyful
Msg: 1
Women calling. Do men like it???Page 1 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
I am uncomfortable calling a man. I know!!!! I have been told to get over it. What do you all think about this. I am not sure if I am bothering a man when I call and don't know for sure if he is irritated and I am not sure what most men think about being contacted by a woman. I will usually call the first time and hardly ever contact again, and if he hasn't asked for my number, he may never hear from me again. Please let me know what some of you think.
 FriendlyFreeSpirit
Msg: 2
Over 40 crowd. Women calling. Do men like it???
Posted: 6/28/2009 2:06:45 PM
In real life, no way I'd call a guy first. It goes back to my one and only experience - I asked a guy out to a wedding when I was 20 and he just said "no". No excuses, just "no". I made a promise to myself that day ("As God is my witness, I'll never ask a man out again" in my best Scarlett voice).
Internet dating? I have always rung first. I don't like to give my phone number out and prefer to call them. But I wouldn't phone unless it was pre-arranged...I wouldn't put myself out there to hear a note of irritation in his voice.
 just sticks
Msg: 3
Posted: 6/28/2009 2:24:19 PM
Yes...and no. Just like you ladies there are sometimes I don't want to take a call. If the person calling is someone I don't wish to talk to I don't answer. If a woman knows my name and wants to look me up in the book then they are free to call...irritated?...I usually am the questioning type. As in why would you want to call me?!
 ForumFilly
Msg: 4
Posted: 6/28/2009 2:50:50 PM
I have no problem calling a man. I figure if he's given me his phone number, he obviously wants me to call. Why should men be the only ones to face rejection? Do you think they enjoy it anymore than women?

The man in my life does all the calling in this relationship, but that is because we are on different continents and I am not financially in a position to afford to call him. He calls me at least twice a day, and I would HATE to see what his phone bill is, but I do love answering the phone and hearing his wonderful Aussie accent. If finances weren't so tight, I would happily be calling him also. And I'm sure he would love it. Wouldn't you, Paul?
 mz taken
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2009 2:55:26 PM
my experience has been that men often have no qualms about giving their number out so freely. it amazes me when I get them in a first contact where I haven't even responded yet! I'd be a tad leery of stalker-types, if I were them, or at least a bit more selective and not so eager.

I never make the first call.
if the person piques my interest and he's given me his number and invites me to call, I will often give my cell number and wait to see if he is really interested enough to make that first call.
I like for a person to call me when they are thinking of me and genuinely want to get to know me. I don't chase or smother, no matter how badly I'd love to get my mitts on them.
if they don't call, then no one has lost anything. I will never push the issue.
 rjoyful
Msg: 6
Posted: 6/28/2009 3:12:43 PM
Friendlyfreespirit.

I can agree with that. That is what I have been doing. It is safer and gives the guy a chance to ask for your phone number and we must give that on instinct about the person and the experience we are having with them. Trust. That's another issue.
 Moooocow
Msg: 7
Posted: 6/28/2009 3:25:46 PM
Not sure about all men, but yes I like to be called. I like to be called once in a while at work, I like to be called when I'm not expecting you to call, and I like to be called when I'm expecting you to.

You don't seem to be just talking about first call as you say
I will usually call the first time and hardly ever contact again
and I am assuming that a guy is calling you at this point?

An ex-girlfriend would never call me, it was somewhat a money thing, ( long distance and all) but there are ways to make a call on the cheap at least once in a while. Her Mother, so she says, told her never to chase after a guy, meaning let the guy come to her. No doubt it was a very one sided relationship.

I'm never annoyed when I pick up the phone, because unless I know who it is, I rarely will pick up, unless I feel like arguing with a telemarketer.
 tropicalknights
Msg: 8
Posted: 6/28/2009 4:19:02 PM
Yea, well gosh, don't you think that men go through this all the time? When should Icall, why should I call, is they going to bother them? This is part of life, you either do or you don't, and just like women if we like you we would love you to call, and if we don't like you we don't want you to call. How do you know the difference? Geee the same we we do, you dont.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2009 4:52:20 PM
It's so odd to me that anyone would think doing anything would be different based on their gender.

Male or female if you want to call someone, call them. If they don't answer leave a voice mail if you want to.

Male or female if you don't want to take a call, don't. If they left a voice mail, call them back when you want. If you don't want to, don't.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2009 4:55:39 PM
Tropical Knights: "Don't you think that men go through this all the time?"

I don't know ... never thot about it that way ... I'm VERY non-assertive ... I couldn't have made it as a man! I'd be the man lookin cool, leaning against the wall, holdin the wall up while the other guys asked the women to dance!

when a man e-mails me his phone # and asks me to call ... I don't. if he sent me his # and wrote something like, "I'd really like to hear from you on Tuesday or Wednesday evening about 7:30" ... I'd probably call ... and, if he answered nicely ... that would be great ...

a man once gave me his # after our 1st date ... said to call any time ... I called at what I THOT was a reasonable time ... 7:30 p.m. ... and he said, "you ALWAYS call at the most inconvenient times!" ... what? ... not goin THERE again! that was the 1st and last time I called HIM!
 hbattousai
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2009 5:28:03 PM
Absolutely agree with you womaninprogress but for myself personally I do love a phone call once in a while.

Tom
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2009 5:31:30 PM

Absolutely agree with you womaninprogress but for myself personally I do love a phone call once in a while.

Not sure where the "but" came from. If you like to get a call, then you fall into the camp of answer your phone when it rings, or don't. I never said anything that you would need to disagree with.
 tallyover
Msg: 13
Posted: 6/28/2009 5:43:20 PM
I have no problem making the initial call, but later in the dating scene making a call is extremely difficult for me. When someone says "call me" it makes my skin crawl. I'll acknowledge it's a flaw, but it's so hard for me to confront it.
 BOT TAK
Msg: 14
Posted: 6/28/2009 5:50:50 PM

and if he hasn't asked for my number
then he didn't want to hear from you again...why would oyu call such a man

Men don't have problems with calling when they want to....and they never will call if they don't want to...no matter if you call first, or wait...or whatever

I do call men when it's a business...never when it's a romantic something.....the more I like him, the less the chance me calling...it worked so far
 raraavis41
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2009 5:59:04 PM
I say you should resolve this pressing question in the proper manner. Randomly ask a hundred men for their number and then call them. Ask how many are annoyed by another telephone survey. Dare I guess 100%?

The real answer is that you need to feel the person out using emails. If he seems to be compatible and interested, then call him. If he has such bad manners that he makes you feel unwelcome, isn't that one of the things you wanted to find out about him anyway?
 sweetlilgal2009
Msg: 16
Posted: 6/28/2009 6:26:31 PM

If he has such bad manners that he makes you feel unwelcome, isn't that one of the things you wanted to find out about him anyway?

LOL! Yup. Good point. Very good point. I like this a lot.
 dansk52
Msg: 17
Posted: 6/28/2009 6:45:33 PM
Hey I got no problem with a women calling me .
never did never will. But people are differnt.
Men are no different in this area I like to know some cares abot me enough to call
 Saturday Night Rocks
Msg: 18
Posted: 6/28/2009 7:01:34 PM
If you are referring to making first contact with a man, I don't care for it. I feel that the natural role is for the man to be the pursuer. If the ice has already been broken, and you have been out on a date or two, I would be ok with the woman calling. If a guy is interested, and the woman has given any kind of positive response, he will continue to pursue. This flip-side is, playing "hard to get" isn't going to work with most guys. If he doesn't think you are interested, he's going to move on (if he is a normal guy).
 rjoyful
Msg: 19
Posted: 6/28/2009 9:13:55 PM
If you are referring to making first contact with a man, I don't care for it. I feel that the natural role is for the man to be the pursuer.

So what you are saying is that the woman should wait for the man to offer his number, (for safety sake these days it is best that the woman have the mans number first to feel them out and make sure they are not a threat), then the woman should not call after that first call and wait for him to call her back? I hear what you say and prefer to be pursued at first and work out the details as the relationship progresses. Did I get your point?
 rhodax
Msg: 20
Posted: 6/28/2009 9:15:10 PM
No problems whatsoever here. In fact I'd take it as a sign that the woman has confidence - or at least enough desire to work up the courage to call/email/smoke signal/whatever.

Women may take this for granted seeing as they were probably brought up to believe it's the natural order of things, but I can see where it would be thrice as hard for a woman to do the first contact. Not only have they little experience in being rejected in this manner but a social stigma rears its ugly head and they may be walking headlong into a player's trap. I have only the fear of rejection to face.

My hat is off to any Lady that can muster up the courage.
 farceur
Msg: 21
Posted: 6/28/2009 9:25:45 PM
If you have been hidden away in a long relationship for many years and this is your first time out, you can either use your standard social skills that you have been practicing for the past few decades, or, if you prefer, regress back to whatever was proper at the time when your last dating experiences occurred.
 867love
Msg: 22
Posted: 6/28/2009 10:35:48 PM
get their number -send them a text (less invasive)

Harl3qu1n
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 6/29/2009 2:33:34 AM
This has all been helpful, I'm still slightly confused, but I guess you just mostly play it by ear. My question is, should I ask for the number or wait for him to give it out? How soon is too soon? Does asking for a phone number make me seem desperate? Playing mail tag gets a little old after a while, and I want to make sure he doesn't sound like PeeWee Herman on the phone. (Looking for my own Trace Adkins , but that's a fantasy, I know...)
 GentlemanJim4one
Msg: 24
Posted: 6/29/2009 3:22:28 AM
I like it when a woman calls me. It shows that she has some interest. When first contact is made, I never ask a woman for her phone number. I know most women are uncomfortable in giving their number out anyway, so I don't want to make her uncomfortable with my asking for it.
I will not give out my number until I ask her if she would like to have it. I don't like to assume she does. So yes, after she said she'd like to have my number and then she calls, I am appreciative of her efforts.
 Yankee again
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 6/29/2009 5:44:18 AM
I am old fashioned here, if we have a repore I will call. If it is one sided I don't. That means he has to show interest as well.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Women calling. Do men like it???