Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > The Best BBQ Pork Baby Back Ribs EVER...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DougF1962
Msg: 1
The Best BBQ Pork Baby Back Ribs EVER...Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
First you need an oven safe pan at least 9x13 that is two inches deep. Place your ribs in there top side up. Do not season the ribs in any way especially not salt as they will later be way too salty. I just want them in there naked. Now fill the pan to half the height of the ribs (not half the height of the pan, we don't want them little ribbies to drown, we just want them to brown) with CokaCola. And don't cheap out on me here use the real thing, no sam's club coke and definitely do not use diet. The sugar in the coke is going to carmelize both inside and outside of the meat and this adds a wonderful demension of flavor. Also Coke is very acidic (CokaCola can eat the paint off of a car) and that acid is going to break down the cell walls of the pork to the point that it will be falling off of the bone to the point that they will be a little hard to keep in tact while grilling later. Also the acid in the Coke acts as a salt subsitute giving you that acid contrast you have to have with great ribs. Who knew Coke could act as a salt subsitute. Now cook them in the oven at 350 deg F for 3 1/2 to 4 hours dependant on the thickness of your ribs not on the number of ribs in the oven cuz you have them in one layer and not stacked on top of one another. Now at the halfway point you want to flip your ribs over and bring the Coke level back up to the halfway point of the ribs and which will brown the other side. Here is where timing is essential if you want perfection. The minuite the ribs are done your charcoals must be ready because out of the oven and onto the grill they must go to remain so jucy. Paint them with your favorite BBQ sauce and just cook them enough to carmelize the sauce to your tastes. You are going to loose some of the bones, don't sweat that just take care to loose as little of the meat to the coals as possible When I said they were going to be tender I wasn't kidding. And this method works on all red meats but not on chicken unless you like tan chicken breast meat. Hey, I just found a way to use the words "tan" and "breast" in the same sentence and still not be vulgar. I also have developed a reciepe for a tomato based BBQ sauce that has apple butter and honey added that I think is great, I'll find it and post it later. Happy Eating!!!
 Whiskey Woman
Msg: 2
view profile
History
The Best BBQ Pork Baby Back Ribs EVER...
Posted: 7/1/2009 1:28:29 PM
Coke doesn't eat paint, nails or anything else. Don't use urban legand as fact. Especially in cooking! ANY liquid will break down the meat, it has nothing to do with the acid in the soda.

There is no salt in coke.

If bones fall away from the meat when you pick them up, you've over cooked them.

Using Coke, root beer and Dr. Pepper is quite popular in cooking beef and pork. I need to try it. But I won't be boiling them.

There's already a great (and not so great) thread about ribs. You might want to post on there.
 DougF1962
Msg: 3
Posted: 7/1/2009 2:57:44 PM
Actually Coke will eat the paint off of your car, I had a buddy that his girlfriend got mad at him and she applied it to his corvette. New paint job time. This is not an urban legand. I never said there was salt in Coke. If you want to cure some form of meat, yes use salt. It will dehydrate it and make it tough. What I actually meant was that the acid in Coka-Cola will break down the cellular walls of the meat making it extremely tender and jucy while not drying it out and it will add an acid to balance the taste of the fat in the meat without adding salt. And this manner of cooking is not considered boiling. It is more a form of a modified london broil. And you are wrong that any meat will break down in any liquid. Water is a pretty common liquid. Boil beef in it and you get this gray, tough nasty mass. Before you slam my receipe at least give it a try. My bet is, you will be contacting me with an apology.
 SAguy_06
Msg: 4
Posted: 7/1/2009 5:10:52 PM
I got rid of a whart by putting a drop of coke on it twice a day for a week.
 newname4metoo
Msg: 5
Posted: 7/1/2009 10:48:16 PM
When I make a roast beef in the crock pot, I use a can of coke for the cooking liquid. It turns out perfectly every time. I think the acid does seem to tenderize the beef.
 Whiskey Woman
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2009 1:48:52 AM
Doug, do some internet homework. Google and Youtube are your friends. All of the Coke myths were busted on Mythbusters. Go ahead and try it. It doesn't work. There isn't enough acid in it.

Salt is used in everyday cooking. Curing needs mass amounts of salt and quite a long time to dry out a piece of meet. Phosphorus acid has no salt in it.

Putting ANY liquid in your crock pot with tenderize your beef. It's called braising. You'll get the same results using water! (although not as tasty)
 jen2448
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2009 12:33:22 PM
I just marinate them overnight in sweet baby rays ,with foil , and than cook them in a pre- heated oven at 325 for 3 hours , I think, can't find my recipe...........
 Whiskey Woman
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2009 5:48:47 PM
Sweet Baby Ray sure has a kickass reputation. Never tried it. Anyone with a knockoff recipe?
 Classic Chassis
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2009 6:13:15 PM
Apparently nobody has tried to duplicate Sweet Baby Ray's sauce but I'm sure one of them will try shortly or is working on it.
 emi4unb
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 7/3/2009 5:27:22 AM
Apparently you are a better scientist than a chef!!
 Classic Chassis
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 7/3/2009 5:41:23 AM
^^^Who's a better scientist?
 nycrickette
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 7/3/2009 1:53:15 PM
I haven't posted here in a looong time, but came back to read forums.

My absolute favorite rib recipe for bbq sauce involves a can or three of coke, depending on how many ribs, bottle of ketchup, two packages of dry onion soup mix, brown sugar, and vinegar. I rarely measure anything except for baking, so you decide what works for you, but don't be stingy with the brown sugar. If you like a little heat, you can add spices you like. It does not need salt, IMO. Lots of salt in the onion soup mix and the ketchup. BTW, doesn't Coke have sodium in it?

I slow roast in an open roaster on low for a couple of hours, or more as desired, (some like it falling off the bone, some don't), but throw it on foil on the grill to keep the meat or bones from dripping. Grill at a high temp until the sauce is browning or crisping.

I'm in the club that hates dried out meat on the grill. I want tender and juicy, and yes, falling off the bone. Mmmmmm.
 jabinalvah
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 7/3/2009 7:02:33 PM
Wow, thanx for the recipe, I will give this a try, cant wait.

P.S. My cousin has always used cola for corroded battery terminal. If you wanna shine ur pennys up, just add coke let sit, I did this one myself. I thought everyone knew coke did this kind of stuff, looks like some post are in doubt, well maybe they should experiment instead of undermind, and take info of websites...
 italian1957
Msg: 14
Posted: 7/5/2009 10:40:01 PM
Now I know way I dont like ribs when I go to restaurant
 Whiskey Woman
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 7/5/2009 10:54:28 PM

If you wanna shine ur pennys up, just add coke let sit, I did this one myself.

Why would one want shiny pennies? Anyway, lemon juice does the same thing. It'll work on batteries too. Works better actually since there is no sugar involved to make a sticky mess. Go ahead and try it.
 Corbin100
Msg: 16
Posted: 7/6/2009 3:54:22 AM
Holy SmartAss response...wow that will attract the men! You did not read the full recipie, he never said there was salt in coke. Have u tried to leave coke on you car paint for a week; please give it a try and let us know how you make out.
 SAguy_06
Msg: 17
Posted: 7/6/2009 8:00:07 AM
How can you call them BBQ if you cook them in the oven or crock pot...Is nothing sacred

wlecome corbin to the food forum...great first post...
 Whiskey Woman
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2009 6:54:49 PM

Holy SmartAss response...wow that will attract the men!

Got one already, thanks.

You did not read the full recipie, he never said there was salt in coke.

Yes I did. He said it doesn't need salt due to the acid. The acid gives a tang to the soda. What little sodium is found in the acid shouldn't be enough to season your meat. But everyone has different tastes, so go ahead and do it any way you want.

Have u tried to leave coke on you car paint for a week; please give it a try and let us know how you make out.

Yup. Didn't work. Took off a wee bit of wax but no paint. It's been disproved on Mythbusters too. But you believe what you want to believe. Simple high school chemistry will tell you there isn't enough acid to do what urban legend has brainwashed you into believing.

But enough of the threadjacking. Try the ribs. Enjoy them. Just call a spade a spade.
 pupdaddy12003
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2009 5:45:20 PM
...Somebody didn't do a thread search before posting..this recipe was hashed out at least once before, with just about as much rancor.
 kc1059
Msg: 20
Posted: 7/14/2009 12:21:21 AM
why is it that someone posts a recipe that others might like to try and other pof members have to correct what they have written or be critical always? I liked your recipe and if someone is not interested grow up and move on being right does not belong in recipes in my view lol KATT!!!!
 Whiskey Woman
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2009 7:00:21 PM

being right does not belong in recipes

That might be the most rahtarded thing posted on this thread.

That and the "modified London broil" line.

*sigh*

Has anyone made the ribs? I'm interested in how they turned out.
 Classic Chassis
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2009 8:14:00 PM
C'mon gang - play nice. Recipes are just guidelines on how to prepare food - you can add, subtract or alter quantities to suit your preferences. No person is right or wrong - it's all in what you like to cook and eat.

I can give 10 people the exact same ingredients and recipe and each dish will come out a little different. It depends on what order the person added the ingredients, they may have measured a bit different that the next person, how they stirred the ingredients together and there could be a degree or two difference in oven temperature.

So, when someone submits a recipe and you don't like it, offer a suggestion on how you would improve the dish to suit your taste BUT do not tell the person they are wrong.

We have lots of new people drop in and post 1 or 2 messages - no wonder they leave when they are jumped on for offering their recipe or opinion.

As for ribs - if I'm in a hurry, I have no problem parboiling them beforehand and finishing on the bbq. When I have lots of time it's no problem to slow cook them on the bbq or put them in the smoker.
 RetrdDiva
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 7/15/2009 12:51:27 AM
CC, I used to make my own version of a BBQ sauce that was very similar to Sweet Baby Ray's. The original sauce came from a kick-ass bbq joint well known in Northern California called Flints. Once Sweet baby Ray's hit the shelves, there was no reason to make my own. Sweet Baby Ray's is all I EVER buy now,but the honey bbq flavor is nowhere NEAR as good as the original. It doesn't have the richness. Ketchup, white sugar, mustard, molasses, vinegar, Colgins Liquid Smoke-- Wright's liquid smoke is too bitter.. Don't ask me for quantities. I made it for so many years, I just knew what and how much by sight. Play with it, and you'll come really close to sweet baby Ray's.

And if the bones fall away from the meat, it's because that's the way I "F'ing" want them, don't you agree, Doug? Thanks for posting your recipe.

SBR's is also a good marinade for fish. Let the salmon, shark, swordfish or shrimp marinate in the sauce with a bit of salt and fresh ground pepper for a few hours to overnight before putting it on the grill.
 Whiskey Woman
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 7/15/2009 2:47:31 AM

So, when someone submits a recipe and you don't like it, offer a suggestion on how you would improve the dish to suit your taste BUT do not tell the person they are wrong.

You may want to read the recipe before commenting.

While this might be delicious, there are a lot of um........false information........that should be corrected.

This is a braised rib recipe finished on a grill. It isn't bbq and sure isn't a modified london broil. Baby back ribs aren't cheap. Make sure you do them right. Try his recipe. But do your homework. Meat doesn't caramelize on the inside.

Personally, I'd add a quartered onion, a half cup of whiskey, 1/4 cup of worcester sauce, 1/2 cup of chopped fresh thyme, 1/2 cup chicken stock and a chopped jalapeno to the coke.

Braise until almost done. Dry the ribs with a paper towel and place over a hot grill. Ribs are ready when they just start to pull away from the bone. Serve with an apple compote and apple slaw.
 lapilot
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 7/15/2009 4:32:17 AM
If we're gonna be picky, meat doesn't caramelize, PERIOD. Sauces caramelize, veggies containing sugars can caramelize (onions, for example). Shrimp contain sugar and can caramelize. Meat doesn't.

Also, it's worcestershire sauce, not worcester, and phosphoric acid, not phosphorus.

If you're going to be an annoying pedant, at least make an effort to be correct, rather than merely annoying and pedantic.

I have no problem with little resistance between meat and bone when I cook ribs. That's the way I want them too, gang. Not necessarily "falling off", but definitely easily separated.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > The Best BBQ Pork Baby Back Ribs EVER...