Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Cake decorating?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ladyjane701
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Cake decorating?Page 1 of 1    
Ok so I'm addicted to the cake decorating shows (Ace of Cakes, Amazing Wedding Cakes). I've never done any of that before, other than just baking and icing a regular cake. I think it would be really cool to try and make those kind of cakes. I like the look of the fondant ones, not so much the flowery, frilly ones of the past. Unfortunately the classes in my area are during the week at night. And i work nights. How hard would it be to try and learn this on my own? Has anyone done anything like this?
 Classic Chassis
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Cake decorating?
Posted: 7/3/2009 9:37:49 PM
Cake ideas from Wilton – some instructions showing how to decorate
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/

Checked your profile and these schools/companies near you offer Wilton classes – give them a call and see when the next courses are scheduled (usually during the day). Some don't offer all the Wilton courses but I'm sure they'll tell you what's available now and what are scheduled in the near future.
http://www.wilton.com/classes/classlocator.cfm

If the companies don’t offer the course you want, you could always get a cake decorating book from the library … get yourself a couple of styrofoam shapes – rectangles, circles or squares – make or buy some fondant and practice … you can work with it a long time.

I did wedding, birthday, anniversary and whatever cakes for more years than I care to remember before I packed in the catering/bakery business. Only wedding cakes I'll even consider making now are for my rugrats if they ever make it down the aisle.
 ladyjane701
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Cake decorating?
Posted: 7/3/2009 10:04:23 PM
Thanks for the reply. I'll have to check out some places or just learn by trial and error!
 Classic Chassis
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Cake decorating?
Posted: 7/3/2009 10:10:11 PM
There are 8 locations within a 20 mile radius of your location that offer Wilton classes.
The Cake Pan (R D Mize Road) and Hobby Lobby 29 (Northwest State Route 7) are close to you.

Practice by trial and error is good - I did that with my rugrats when they were 7/9 years old - never too young to start. Gave them styrofoam forms and fondant, buttercream icing, plain frosting, Italian meringue, etc. to practice with. Come to think of it, they had fun decorating each other with the different shaped tips.
 ladyjane701
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Cake decorating?
Posted: 7/3/2009 10:27:47 PM
Hobby Lobby had classes but it was at night during the week. So i can't do that. I'd have to call The Cake Pan to see when they do their classes. But i might try your styrofoam suggestion. See how it goes!
 Classic Chassis
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Cake decorating?
Posted: 7/4/2009 6:56:00 AM
Online cake decorating courses

http://www.cakedecoratinginstruction.net/ - listing of various online courses

http://www.yummyarts.com/join/index5.php?hop=sugarcraft

http://www.cakesbydesign.ca/
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Cake decorating?
Posted: 7/4/2009 9:50:51 AM
Yes, I've learned alot on my own do to my schedul. When I going food shopping I would go to the bakery area at the time the decorators are their and watch and ask questions, sometimes they will doing it really slow for me to watch there hand and wrist movement to learn. I want to one of the cake and candy supply shops and they sale the templets to learn the different decorating methods and that is how I learned about piping stars and making different types of cakes and designs.

It's fun, it took me longer then if I would have been able to take a cake decorating glass, but well worth the time.

My family loves my cakes, and passion for making cakes and designs.

I hope this helps you out.

Have A Great 4th of July 2009! And good luck on your Journey of learning how to decorate your favorate cakes. Where there is heart and passion, there is success!

Lisa
 jenniiee
Msg: 8
Cake decorating?
Posted: 7/4/2009 10:10:53 AM
wow, someone as interested in cakes as i am. I watch ace of cakes all the time or cake boss. Pretty much any show that does amazing cakes designs. But yeah if you want to learn on your own. Go on to the search engine and type in online classes or even better just put cake tutorials. Just watch tutorials on how they make their cake. Bc watching is better than looking at the ingredients and watching (;
 Darkpoet1313
Msg: 9
cake decorating
Posted: 7/4/2009 11:05:05 AM
Ace of Cakes is amazing! It inspired me to used fondant on my daughter's birthday cake..she designed it. It was my first attempt. I purchased the fondant from a local supplier to save on making it myself. It is a little work if you are tinting it as it comes white. Make sure if you are tinting to use Wilton brand icing colours. After that it is quite easy to roll out and put over a cake. If you have a craft store that sells cake supplies you will be able to purchase a Wilton Cake Decorating book. I used just this book to make my cakes over the past 10 yrs for my childrens' birthdays etc. Last weekend I made my friends wedding cake and now have 3 people requesting that I make one for them as well :)
Any questions, don't hesitate to ask :) and good luck!
 mykidsmama
Msg: 10
cake decorating
Posted: 7/4/2009 1:35:29 PM
http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm
here is a good-looking marshmallow fondant recipe...i'm going to use it this week to make my daughter the biggest and best cake ever!!! (hopefully) LOL
 jaycee4
Msg: 11
view profile
History
cake decorating
Posted: 7/4/2009 7:26:47 PM
i love ace of cakes, cake boss, the cake girls-all those shows!!

wilton also has decorating videos you can buy that show you step by step how to do decorating-not as good as taking a class and having someone to really explain things up close but pretty good. i always wanted to register for classes at wilton but couldn't afford them and couldn't afford the time off to take the classes. i have taken a couple hometown classes but would love to be able to go to the wilton school for classes!! i bought a couple of their basic decorating videos when i was taking my classes and they were pretty good.
 ladyjane701
Msg: 12
view profile
History
cake decorating
Posted: 7/4/2009 11:36:20 PM
I have the Food Network on ALL the time. And when a cake show is coming up i usually always watch it. I figured with my creative background, and love for doing craft stuff with my hands, that this would be a great thing to try and learn. Of the things that i have gone out and tried to learn(jewelry design and web design)... i usually take a class or 2 and then i just go at it alone, buy a book or 2 after that and see what i can come up with. It just usually ends up being too expensive(jewelry) or starting to get over my head(web design). But I think with the right training anything can happen!
 Classic Chassis
Msg: 13
view profile
History
cake decorating
Posted: 7/5/2009 6:38:46 AM
Granted, cake decorating is an awesome way to use your imagination and design skills. It can be a lucrative business, especially if you enjoy working with demanding clients who think you should give them a Mona Lisa but charge for a black velvet painting.

As the saying goes ... been there, done that, have the tee-shirt. Last 2 cakes were wedding gifts to my gf's. Had 10 requests for wedding cakes at the receptions - told people I was retiring but would point them to someone who could do their cakes. My next 2 will be for the rugrats if they ever walk down the aisle.
 ljoyl
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Cake decorating?
Posted: 7/5/2009 7:36:45 PM
Try your local community college. There might be a not for credit course that you can take. You can also really learn by reading and some trial and error. I had never done anything with fondant and picked up some reference books and did a couple of trial runs before completing my daughter's wedding cake that came out beautiful. Good luck. If you can read you can learn to do it, just pay attention to the tricks that you see on the TV shows, like using steam to make fondant shiny.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Cake decorating?
Posted: 7/6/2009 12:56:45 PM
this is a bit off topic ... but ...

for my ex-husband's 70th birthday, we had a week-long party with multiple children, grandchildren, little cousins who didn't know each other very well, having come to California for the party from Oklahoma, Oregon, Hawaii, etc.

I baked two sheet cakes and frosted with very plain butter cream icing ... leaving a plain slate for the drawings ...

the older tween-aged cousins did the decorating with commercial icing decorating kits ... they also helped the younger cousins to write something for Papa as well ... we had 8 different colors ... took them about an hour to decorate those two cakes ... part of a fun bonding for cousins who probably will not see each other again for many years ...
 sugar62law
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Cake decorating?
Posted: 7/6/2009 2:47:08 PM
Molly.... What a great idea... Hope you got lots of pictures for the years to come... I bet thr cousins will remember that for years also....

sugar
 pinkdanielle
Msg: 17
Cake decorating?
Posted: 10/13/2009 3:35:30 PM
I'm making a birthday cake for work next week, and i want to do a strawberry sheet cake. i have the recipe, but it calls for amounts for 2 round cakes, or one 9/13 cake pan. How do i figure out how to make the recipe sufficient for a sheet cake?
 white_flag
Msg: 18
Cake decorating?
Posted: 10/14/2009 9:11:08 PM
^ What are the measurements for the sheet cake?
 funcook
Msg: 19
Cake decorating?
Posted: 10/18/2009 3:05:13 PM
Hi there,
There are schools that offer a student for a day classes and may offer classes for cake decorating. Why not look into that? Also there are on line videos and as another member wrote, Wilton, although they are old school, their basic techniques are very good.
funcook
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Cake decorating?