Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > I need a tan! How long should I be in the sun to get a tan, but not g      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Palifornia562
Msg: 1
I need a tan! How long should I be in the sun to get a tan, but not get burned?Page 1 of 1    
I want to lay out in the sun and get a tan, but I don't want to get burned. How long is long enough, especially when I am normally not out in the sun? I have such a horrible farmer's tan....my arms and face are tan, but the rest of my body is so white!
 boloteee
Msg: 2
I need a tan! How long should I be in the sun to get a tan, but not get burned?
Posted: 7/16/2009 5:25:18 PM
For petes sake how on earth do we know?

Lay out for a short time and see how your skin feels a couple hours later.
Repeat.
 Mystie_Dragonfly
Msg: 3
Posted: 7/16/2009 6:37:16 PM
Why would you want to? With all the health risks... why take a chance?

On the other hand... how easily do you burn? You say other than your farmer tan, you are very white? Do you normally peel when you burn? Really... if you burn easy... it's a sign that you probably need to protect yourself from the sun more than laying out in it.

I have developed quite a farmer tan walking to and from the gym everyday. But... in the winter, any summer tan I got... disappears.
 JohnP83
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 7/16/2009 7:04:19 PM
It depends how easy you burn really, Im Scotish / Canadian so if i walk by a 100W light bulb I can tan :P , I also ended up with a horrible farmers tan from work and it does take a while to even out your best bet is to start off with some SPF30 spend a day in the sun then scale back to 15, then 4 and try and even it out slowly, If you just take the un tanned part and stand in the sun with no sunscreen on your just going to burn
 eschec mat
Msg: 5
Posted: 7/16/2009 7:31:55 PM
Every day they have a sun index. It is different for each day. Yesterday it was 15 minutes in my area to start burning. Today it was 1/2 hour. You need to find out what your local sun index is. I am guessing you probably could check weather.com or some other weather site or your local tv station's weather.

The thing is 15 minutes is what you need for Vitamins. Now anything more than that, you should wear sunscreen according to dermatologists.

I love to swim, I don't leave the house without sunscreen on. About the time I am done swimming my SPF has about worn off. I don't care for burning or skin damage, those that proudly wear tans have damaged skin. Just wait until they get older...ewww Then you have skin cancer possibilities. Tanning is so yesterday
 crazy4mars
Msg: 6
Posted: 7/19/2009 3:29:03 AM
Geesh...forget laying out in the sun....you should be out there so you have sufficient vitamin D 10min first thing in the morning.
Why not go out and get a sugar spray tan...they look great and they can add some definition to the abs, calves etc. and help blend your farmers tan.
If you are determined to bake your skin and cause early free radical damage to your skin ...then at least use a good sunsreen with full spectrum uva/uvb coverage.
Just remember what damage you do to your skin now may show up years from now as skin cancer.
 satx78218
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2009 4:50:09 AM
"sufficient vitamin D 10min first thing in the morning"

I read where skin doesn't produce significant Vit D if your shadow is longer than you are tall.

I also read where the lack of sun causes more cancers (due to lack of Vit D3) than are prevented.

I wonder how humans, over a couple 100K years, actually survived, with most of their lives outdoors, without synthetic chemicals smeared on their skin?

I asked a dermatologist about Vit D deficiency due to lack of sun exposure. She said there is no rickets in the USA, so there is no Vit D deficiency.
 Spartycus
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2009 2:56:28 PM
Different for everyone. I'm Metis/Ukranian/Swedish(Icelandic) but heritage. I go golfing every Sunday and for the first 4-5 rounds I would put on 30SPF and now I no longer put it on. I have a nice farmer(golfer) tan, and don't burn ie red, skin peel any more.

If your trying to get a all over tan, and your skin is white then start with 30 spf sun screen and stay out for 1 hr a day to start building a tan. I would never recommend going without SPF as you try and build a tan.

I once golfed with a lady that read in studies that its these suncreen lotions that are infact causing us to have skin cancer. Point is studies can be read alot of ways, and now they are finding out that everyone carries the cancer gene in them. Its just a matter of the right combination of factors that trigger them to cause cancer. If you burn red and peel thats bad is all I know.
 dutchpirate
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2009 9:03:27 PM
Any amount of tan is technically bad. Darkened skin means the melanin has already oxidized and been damaged. By all means burning is worse, and your chance of getting skin cancer goes up double every time you burn.

If you really want a dark glow sunless tanner is the safest way to go in my opinion. But the sun still provides vitamin D and is basically the essence of life and we shouldn't shun it. I'd rather enjoy the beautiful warm sun with sunscreen and risk cancer down the road- than to hide in the shade my whole life just to end up getting some other form of it anyway...
 Single_in_ H_town
Msg: 10
Posted: 7/20/2009 11:33:31 PM
30 mins each day should do just fine.
 *MisKa*
Msg: 11
Posted: 7/20/2009 11:37:24 PM
It depends on how much melatonin you have in your skin. Tanning beds are healthier because they do nothave UVA rays. But you can get a tan even if you use sun screen. It doesn't need to be 50 block.

I prefer the spray booths they have at the Tanning Hut. Less than 10 minutes, I was never turned orange, and 2-4 hours later, all over even tan.
 epeavey
Msg: 12
Posted: 7/23/2009 3:40:42 PM
A suntan is skin poisoning, plain and simple.

People who think a suntan looks healthy have it 100% wrong. It's a sign of skin damage.

There was once a survey done of teens who smoked. The survey asked teen smokers why they started smoking. The #1 response was obvious: To look cool. The #2 response was obvious as well: To be popular or accepted.

The #3 response was surprising: It's a sign of good health. Huh? What? Well, the logic was that when you aren't healthy, what's the first thing doctors tell you to do? Quit smoking. So, if you smoke, it means you are healthy.

Faulty, twisted logic, clearly. But it's the same logic people use when they say, or think, a suntan is a sign of good health. It's not.
 hereIgoagain2009
Msg: 13
Posted: 7/24/2009 9:33:45 PM
You are from the middle east with black hair, living in California???? It should take you 5 minutes!
 winteragain
Msg: 14
Posted: 7/25/2009 12:04:01 AM
screw the tan, just get your teeth whitened instead
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > I need a tan! How long should I be in the sun to get a tan, but not get burned?