Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Modern rock has nothing on Album Rock      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ghost Panther
Msg: 1
Modern rock has nothing on Album RockPage 1 of 1    
Just listen to the raw energy on The Who's "The Real Me." Turn your head when David Bowie shouts "Hey Man." Pick any track from the scandalously underrated Presence by Led Zeppelin and melt your ears away with Bonham's thunderous fills, Paige's melodic and vibrant riffs, and quite possibly the best bass playing by John Paul Jones.

This, my Plenty of Fishers, defined rock. Dismiss the current onslaught of pretentious "musicians" that only produce distorted and whiny noise. Rock is dead. It died in the 2000's.

If only I had a time machine and could travel back to 1979 to see Zeppelin at Knebworth.
 CappyHamper
Msg: 2
Modern rock has nothing on Album Rock
Posted: 7/24/2009 12:59:10 AM
Who cares, if you only like the old stuff? That's what recordings are for. Listen 'till your heart's content. All those artists at some point were critisized for being pretentious, etc.,..
Various factors assured their music got marketing preference over arguably better music/albums.
I like the old stuff too. I don't know if rock is dead, but maybe stale, maybe evolving-
I kinda wonder if it has "all been done"?
Maybe you're right.
 MissaInVA
Msg: 3
Posted: 7/24/2009 3:40:58 AM
I love good Old Fashioned Rock-n-Roll, but I do kind of like some of the newer bands. Keep in mind when I say newer I'm thinking of Godsmack, Red Hot Chili Peppers, but even some of the bands newer than that have some decent stuff. It just doesn't make the radio.
 Metal4Me
Msg: 4
Posted: 7/24/2009 7:57:08 AM
Rock hasn't died at all unless your stuck in the past and only listen to what you hear on the radio. I do like the fact that Led Zep incorporated cultural music from other countries into their music. Some of their best music isn't aired on the radio.
 GabrielWhispers
Msg: 5
Posted: 7/24/2009 8:10:49 AM
rock hasnt died at all. its just gone underground with radio airplay geared towards r&b and hip hop these days. underground is a good thing as it allows for unihibited growth and experimentation. theres some very serious work being done these days
 needsomefemz
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 7/24/2009 9:11:17 AM

rock hasnt died at all. its just gone underground with radio airplay geared towards r&b and hip hop these days. underground is a good thing as it allows for unihibited growth and experimentation. theres some very serious work being done these days

I think that's about it. I like to be open to all kidns of music, but this newer age stuff just DOES NOT click with me at all. Though I don't listen to much of it, everything before the 90's in the genre of rock just sounds....right.
 good guitar player
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 7/24/2009 9:52:42 AM
I hear a wide rang of new -ish things North Miss allstars, Detroit Cobras, Brian Jonestown Masscare, Tings Tings ...all I can think of I just got up. Or even local act sor people I have played with or auditioned for and IN truth ....NONE of them even have any thing close to a cool idea or a classic song,, it's not horrible but seems that one or two songs are great and the rest luke warm at best...nor is there any growth. I like the band crackers 1st 2 albums....seems they are still doing the same thing. What made the old bands great was , the had an idea mined it for all it was worth and then did a next thing or sound the Beatles are the classic example, the Clash did too listen to THE CLASH in 77 and Sandanista...wow or ZEP I to IN through the out door...is that the same band? Soundgarden was one of the last bands that did that to some extent. Now Chris Connell get pilloried for doing new things. It DID not die there are just bands who are controlled by thier Labels or bands who are DIY. Saddley the old days are gone when making a record required a lot of Skill and money. That acted as a hurtle weeding out the chaff. So with the mass of music available it iis almost impossilbe to locate quality.So like a conversation in a room of screaming people if there is anyone saying something wise good good luck hearing it. Also DJ were inmportant taste makers, they had more freedom and if you heard the other stuff they played or recomended you often took a chance. Got turned on to the VU ,Traffic, Fairport Convention, King Crimson, Televison, Uriah Heep and Roy Buchannon amog others. Now they are machines for the most part
 Ghost Panther
Msg: 8
Posted: 7/24/2009 12:19:20 PM
I wholeheartedly agree with your perspective, Good Guitar Player. The priorities aren't there anymore; the priority in which to focus on the music rather than selling a product: the band. All the up and coming bands I know seem to only concentrate on exposure. These groups of image-conscious MySpacers can't wait to score big. Their only drive is success when it should only be about making good music.

You can say this about any art form too, especially movies. When artwork is turned into a commodity, artistic merit is not valued as the sole priority.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Modern rock has nothing on Album Rock