Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Why Men Don't Dance?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 miss music
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Why Men Don't Dance?Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
SexyKen asked what we women like about dancing (or something like that). Now, I'd like to ask why is that men, in general, don't dance. What is it they don't like? What is it they're afraid of?

I remember one old boyfriend of mine was hypersensitive to the fact that...well...he wasn't exactly as graceful or coordinated as most people...and he was convinced that everyone was staring at him on the dance floor and secretly laughing at him. He tried it once, would never go back again.

Another stated he was terrified of doing something wrong and hurting me (holding me too tight or stepping on my foot or twisting my arm). (Given that he was 6'3" and built while I'm a petite little 5'1", I can see why he was a little nervous about that. He was always so very careful around me...as though I was made of glass. Very sweet.)

I wonder if you gents think that you have to be Fred Astaire or Gene Kelly or as skilled as some modern dancer? I wonder if you think that if you dance poorly, we'll dump you? Is that what you're scared of?
 Zekaric
Msg: 2
Why Men Don't Dance?
Posted: 7/6/2005 10:01:32 AM
... Damn... Described it to the 't'. All of the above and because of it, dancing just isn't a pleasurable experience.
 inazu
Msg: 3
Why Men Don't Dance?
Posted: 7/6/2005 10:57:37 AM
I have the gracefulness of a construction crane. Nuff said.
 Blastkist
Msg: 4
Why Men Don't Dance?
Posted: 7/6/2005 12:03:37 PM
I know lots of men who can and do dance...the others just lack the sensuality to do it. Which is unfortunate...
 Suther
Msg: 5
Why Men Don't Dance?
Posted: 7/6/2005 12:21:59 PM
Lacks sensuality... damn that's harsh!! LOL

I'm a horrible dancer, therefore I don't.
Does remind me of one of the last times my ex dragged me on the dance floor though. We're on the dance floor for no more than 10 minutes, she stops, puts her hands on my shoulders looks me in the eye and says "you know I love you, but I don't understand how you can be great in bed but such a shitty dancer.. go sit down"

but since then I have started taking lessons
 Mark2521971
Msg: 6
Why Men Don't Dance?
Posted: 7/6/2005 12:31:36 PM
Dance like no-ones watching.

I think it's a fear of being laughed at for dancing like a drunken monkey......

......or dancing like your dad.
 jmsglds
Msg: 7
Why Men Don't Dance?
Posted: 7/6/2005 12:33:09 PM
I can only speak for myself: in the millitary we are taught to fight with martial arts of one kind or, another; we do not take dance classes and, so when we dance we must constantly remember not to throw another male dancer to the ground if he accidently bumps us and, we certainly do not want to knock our lady out cold with an embarrassing miss-step!

I know it sounds stupid but, your damn training never ever really goes away!
Therefore; I prefer slow dancing with a date in my home after a nice meal; rather than being asked by the management to leave after "dancing" with the wrong partners:

as I say: I can only speak for myself; I spent a lot of time outcountry as a case officer so: I still look for that almost undetectable telltale movement that can mean a knife or, worse; and, sometimes my brain gets there a little later than my body.
 Blastkist
Msg: 8
Why Men Don't Dance?
Posted: 7/6/2005 12:39:53 PM

dancing just isn't a pleasurable experience.

Then you haven't danced with me...hehe.

A good dancer always makes sure their partner is having fun and who cares how you look? It's the effort that counts...anyone can sway from side to side and last time I checked most men do quite well moving their lower parts without instructions LOL!
 Mark2521971
Msg: 9
Why Men Don't Dance?
Posted: 7/6/2005 12:49:00 PM
Damn jmsglds, your off my dance card!
 CountIbli
Msg: 10
Why Men Don't Dance?
Posted: 7/6/2005 1:11:29 PM
I wish I could dance as well as a drunken monkey. I'm not afraid that people are going to point and laugh. I know they will because they have. None of that really matters because I don't generally care what other people think of me. But...getting out on the dancefloor is the quickest way to ensure that I don't get laid.

Blastkist, it doesn't matter how hot you are, I for one won't enjoy the dance. I'd rather have my balls cleaned with a brillo pad. Now, if you want to do the horizontal mambo that's a different story.
 TryinNot2Give
Msg: 11
Why Men Don't Dance?
Posted: 7/6/2005 1:12:20 PM
Growing up in Chicago..I learned pretty much every dance invented...just don't like to go out and dance though. Just not for me. Don't like being in crowds like that. Not an anxiety thing...more of a .. hell who knows lol
 clubkid66
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Why Men Don't Dance?
Posted: 7/6/2005 1:24:09 PM
It's a case of nerves since the first time I went to a club my first dance with a woman was set up when my friend told the woman I was looking at "I throwing him over to you" and he sent me flying at her feet. Since that embarrassment I have had no problem dancing and becoming one of the better dancers in New York City clubs.
 TryinNot2Give
Msg: 13
Why Men Don't Dance?
Posted: 7/6/2005 1:26:51 PM
Its not even that...I learned to dance from women...all my cousins and aunts and cousins' girlfriends they all taught me to dance. I was 12 giving 18-21 yr old guys dancing lessons...its not a self confidence issue what so ever...i think it was just the environment i was raised around. dancing was a sign of weakness. a guy had to be "hard" at all times living in South Side Chicago.
 DoctorKinseyPhD
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Why Men Don't Dance?
Posted: 7/6/2005 2:17:05 PM
Women all Line Dance now...
 ErikSFBay
Msg: 15
Why Men Don't Dance?
Posted: 7/6/2005 2:35:09 PM
I love to dance. Fortunately we have a lot of good dance clubs here.

And men, if you're a good dancer, women sometimes think you might be good at other things.
Of course that cuts both ways!
 fishless
Msg: 16
Why Men Don't Dance?
Posted: 7/6/2005 2:49:57 PM
A chicken in a blender never look good.
 manthere
Msg: 17
Why Men Don't Dance?
Posted: 7/6/2005 3:35:12 PM
"the others just lack the sensuality to do it."

Wrong.

Anyways, just like stage fright.
 sum1reel
Msg: 18
Why Men Don't Dance?
Posted: 7/6/2005 7:54:09 PM
itz an EGO thing my dear.......if a guy doesn't feel that he loox good doing something then he won't do it!........obviously some people are naturally good dancers and thats we what we are all judged by......gives us a complex of a sort!......if a guy has natural ability, he will no doubt be a hit with the ladies (whether they are good dancers or not)....if a man is a mediocre dancer than he will either be ridiculed or at best ignored.......the exception to all of this is when people are drunken, then everybody looks good!
 crowmobe
Msg: 19
Why Men Don't Dance?
Posted: 7/6/2005 8:01:31 PM
dancing is awsome, specialy when u pull out the bus driver and t he funky chicken on a stag, break it down, hell i always dance when i go out its fun
 Zekaric
Msg: 20
Why Men Don't Dance?
Posted: 7/6/2005 9:00:53 PM

Then you haven't danced with me...hehe.

I think I could be persuaded. ;)

A good dancer always makes sure their partner is having fun

Aye, but there's the rub. Chicken and egg senario. Need a good partner first.
 BearBrain
Msg: 21
Why Men Don't Dance?
Posted: 7/6/2005 9:02:04 PM
I like to slow dance. I am not much for tap dancing. I will on occasion go waltzing with bears.
 eurovr96
Msg: 22
Why Men Don't Dance?
Posted: 7/6/2005 9:06:03 PM
its not that i cant its cause i got a pistol is my pants. 4 real i do i carry it just about every where i go. i have a permit to carry it. its also part of my night job to carry one.
 RealisticDreamer
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Why Men Don't Dance?
Posted: 7/6/2005 9:16:53 PM
I love to dance, not that I actually know how to, in terms of formal training.

I have no idea if I have beat or rhythm, but I don't really care. I'm usually not that interested in picking someone up at a nightclub since it's impossible to carry on a real conversation.

I've asked some friends and they kind of dodge the question, or say, 'yeah, you're ok", so I can make a guess at what the real answer is.

It's fun to let your body move to the music you feel.
 Viper1
Msg: 24
Why Men Don't Dance?
Posted: 7/6/2005 9:25:12 PM
Oh hell no!!!!!! Show me the dance floor and hope you can keep up!!!!
 Doc Sage
Msg: 25
Why Men Don't Dance?
Posted: 7/6/2005 9:30:33 PM
__I dance crazy. Dance at home alone. Also.....
__ At the Folk Fest I will dance Friday (Moroccan trance), Saturday (Zydeco) & Sunday (Ladysmith Black Mambazo). Anyone care to join me.

Doc
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Why Men Don't Dance?