Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Rare Books....      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Byrd
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Rare Books....Page 1 of 1    
I have some books that are first editions and am wondering how I can find out how much they are worth on the internet? I was able to find out about one because it's only about 12 years old..I'm not trying to sell them, I'd really like to know...I find listings but no prices kinda frustrating..Anyway would appreacate any information anyone could give me..
 artist_48
Msg: 2
Rare Books....
Posted: 7/26/2009 4:40:32 PM
try googling key words like, "rare book values" and "book appraisals" etc

call a book shop that specializes in rare books and ask them
 Byrd
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Rare Books....
Posted: 7/26/2009 9:30:55 PM
Thanks many of them won't give you the correct price plus these are really old 1900's..I found photographs of behind the scenes of the movie "The Big Limbowski" Photo's by Jeff Bridges 1997 first edition limited to 5,000 copies I paid 2 dollars and fifty cents value 500.00 plus..That was a great find..
 torgo70
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Rare Books....
Posted: 7/31/2009 11:59:58 AM
I have a copy of "The Return of Tarzan"- Edgar Rice Burroughs(copyrighted 1915), also a 3 volume dictionary set from 1927. Both came from my grandfather.
 Byrd
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Rare Books....
Posted: 8/1/2009 9:57:29 PM
WOW Hold onto them they come from familyI have some things from my family that's some special books..Ive been buying books from this thrift store the old ones they give away though..I have one written by this gal from Nebreaska about her family life from 1881 to 1980, Wow..And it's autographed it was worth 25.00 with out the autograph it must have belonged to a family member..I'd never sell it..I might give it back to the family..I have another one I paid 2.50 for it's worth 500.00
 junipermoon
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Rare Books....
Posted: 8/2/2009 5:36:15 AM
my brother works with rare and historic documents at a maritime history museum. he likes a website called abebooks.

on the 'cringe' side, i have a first edition gone with the wind that my great aunt gave me when i was about 9 years old. i dragged it around with me ever since. only a few years ago did i realize i had a collector's item. by that time, the cover had fallen off
 boybug
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Rare Books....
Posted: 8/2/2009 7:20:08 AM
your best way of finding out the value of a book is through an accredited book resaler. one site where u can find who if any are in your area is "abe books", but bear in mind prices listed online by sellers are nowhere near what u will receive in an offer, they have their markups in order to make a profit. rough rule of thumb, u might be offered about 40% of list price for a 1st edition in mint condition.

Other things to keep in mind....telling if a book is a true first edition is tricky for the inexperienced. Over the years publishers have changed how they distinguish 1st editions, from 1st ed to first in a print run (which are not one and the same).

this link may help u to learn a bit more about how to appraise a book, to see if its a true first or not...

http://www.loc.gov/rr/rarebook/apprais.html

another thing to keep in mind is age of a book, or popularity of a particular writer will not always translate into a higher value...like any market demand is a key component.
 Byrd
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Rare Books....
Posted: 8/2/2009 1:06:44 PM
Thank You for that information..I will look into it as soon as I come down from my meds.. and Trader Joes coffee.. I saw abes books when I googled went somewhere else though I'll get back there..ah well.
 nightingales
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Rare Books....
Posted: 8/3/2009 1:24:31 AM
hey there, fellow book collector!

I also have the leather-bound disease! I collect old books of horror and poetry, and have been doing so for many years.

If you want a good comparison of the values of your antique books, please visit this site:

http://www.bookfinder.com/

there, you can search for similar copies to yours, and find out what the dealers are asking in price.

In this manner I have found that the old books I've collected over the years are worth more than two thousand dollars.

as if I'd ever sell any of these: http://s716.photobucket.com/albums/ww167/lambentdream/?action=view¤t=P5130005.jpg

cheers to you and all lovers of fine literature.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Rare Books....