Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > What do girls mean by wanting to "Hang out"?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Tequila_Mockingbird
Msg: 1
What do girls mean by wanting to "Hang out"?Page 1 of 1    
I see many profiles saying the girl is looking to "hang out", and then within the profile itself, it describes their perfect fantasy guy.

Random text so POF doesn't bug me about thead length when I've already typed everything necessary, and don't feel like wasting everyone's time with filler content.
Random text so POF doesn't bug me about thead length when I've already typed everything necessary, and don't feel like wasting everyone's time with filler content.
 LCpl17
Msg: 2
What do girls mean by wanting to Hang out?
Posted: 7/28/2009 3:02:34 PM
Exactly what hang out mean buddy, they want someone to hang out with them...friends wise. It's pretty self explainatory.
 HazelRose
Msg: 3
Posted: 7/28/2009 3:02:35 PM
Hanging out is a safety catch phrase. It means, I wantto go out, but not on a true date.
 Tequila_Mockingbird
Msg: 4
Posted: 7/28/2009 3:05:25 PM
That's what I thought it meant, but then their profiles act like they're looking for a date.

Here, I'll go find an example.

FSM - Hang Out
Online Now

Looking for a good guy who's worth it
Well some of my interseted include horses, hockey, volleyball, soccer and the lake :) Right now i am taking a year off of school so that i can travel,and have some fun before i have to settle down and
 shake_things_up
Msg: 5
Posted: 7/28/2009 3:10:13 PM
maybe they forgot to change their profile?
maybe they want to date, but only date certain ppl
i dunno
 Tequila_Mockingbird
Msg: 6
Posted: 7/28/2009 3:13:11 PM
And I didn't just find that one, either. They're everywhere.
(Last examples I'm giving, I think this should be sufficient)

Why do these girl do this, and what are they actually looking for?

FSM - Hang Out
Online Now

a good catch ;)
A little about me, I am a pretty independent person. Hard working. Pretty sarcastic. Outgoing. Honest..too much sometimes. I have that go-getter attitude. If I want to do something, I do it, and right

FSM - Hang Out
Online Now

looking for a big spoon haha
Hey, I'm new to this whole online dating thing.. just giving this a shot. I play soccer, i play guitar, love snowboarding, going out with my friends, i looooove going to my cottage whenever i can, my

FSM - Hang Out
Online Now

Looking for new and honest MEN.
Heres the thing. I was previously on this site until i met someone who turned out to be someone he wasn't. I don't want to put any pictures up or say too much about myself because i kind of want to ch
 98cowboy
Msg: 7
Posted: 7/28/2009 3:13:55 PM
DUDE, what is so hard about this???

She wants to hang...
DOESN'T mean she wants to hang out with every guy that messages her...
IF that were the case, she would have over 100s of friends..

Plus, what if you're not the TYPE of dude she hangs out with?
What if your first message sucked when you tried to talk to her?

I could go on and on, but let me just answer your question..

Hang out= let's be friends first...and if you're hot and an awesome dude, maybe we'll hook up...maybe she's looking for friends w/ benefits...

Idk why you're asking this question...
It seems SO obvious...at least to me
 Tequila_Mockingbird
Msg: 8
Posted: 7/28/2009 3:16:49 PM
Wanting to hang out for the purposes of "scouting the field" and finding a guy is pretty much dating.

It's like looking for "Friends" when you wants friends with benefits. Yes, FWB has friendship incorporated within, but you wouldn't do that one.
 artist_48
Msg: 9
Posted: 7/28/2009 3:18:04 PM
It means anything from let's hang out and shoot pool and be friends to--

I've been hurt recently and I'm not ready to date, but I want to get to know you

and play it safe
 Intimate Accomplice
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 7/28/2009 3:22:43 PM
Probably means the same as for guys, I want to hang out and if anything more comes of it, cool.
 98cowboy
Msg: 11
Posted: 7/28/2009 3:32:29 PM
Look man,
The ONLY time a girl wants to BE FRIENDS on this site is if they are in a relationship already!

Otherwise, it's fair game.
I mean, really?, anyone who puts a label on something will miss the bigger picture.
 BBW2Love
Msg: 12
Posted: 7/28/2009 3:34:38 PM

Probably means the same as for guys, I want to hang out and if anything more comes of it, cool.

Yes, exactly.

I like your moniker, kid. Misunderestimate. Clever. Cute.

.................................................................................................................................................................
 RushLuv
Msg: 13
Posted: 7/28/2009 3:35:06 PM
^^^ Not necessary. I'm single and I had "Friends" selected once, but never "Hang Out".

Hang Out means different things to different people.
 barbwire56horses
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 7/28/2009 3:38:33 PM
For me wanting to hang to out means just that hang out.... I like to get to know a person before i decide if i want to date them or not. As has been my experience its better to start as friends and have no expectations to worry about disappointments ....... You get to know someone and then you dont loose that potiential great friend. I lost someone i would of loved to stay friends with but he decided to start something with me then freaked himself out I guess......... Anyhow to me I get along better with the guys then the gals anyhow.. and I just plain like to hang out with people.. .............so basically hang out means hang out im not limiting myself to just people that i want to date. I love to have lots of friends around as well does that help any?
 Reaper!
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 7/28/2009 3:38:57 PM

Exactly! I don't understand why this poses such a problem for some people.

Hang out is essentially, we do cool stuff together and I get some company with no pressure to decide about you straight away. If, over time, I think "nah, this aint the guy for me" then no harm no foul. Alternatively, I may think "hey I like this guy." Either way, I don't have to decide now.

As opposed to dating wherein both parties are extremely aware that the purpose of all assignations is romantic.

For me, the difference between labelling it hang out and dating is as follows. In the past, when I was on a date, the guy would introduce romantic/sexual overtures way too fast because we were on a date. When I used to just hangout with a guy then he never quite knew my intent so we actually got to know each other instead of him constantly baraging me with cheesy lines.
 harmonyharvest
Msg: 16
Posted: 7/28/2009 3:41:56 PM
My take is they are not actively seeking for someone, but would like to find a mate in the future.
 SugarFreetea
Msg: 17
Posted: 7/28/2009 3:42:16 PM
How else is she going to find her guy if she doesn't hangout/date/become friends first then? These are after all only terms used on here and people use it as they see fit, they are not set in stone. I for example had Dating on my profile then thought Dating sounds a bit old fashioned a a bit too serious so I subsequently chose friends. There is a process you have to go through in order to find the one(well hopefully!) and being friends/hang out/date is part of that.
 Worbug
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 7/28/2009 4:47:20 PM
It means you are in the express lane to the "Friend Zone"
 bucsgirl
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 7/28/2009 4:54:02 PM
Female version of Hang out - spend time doing things non-sexual, saying anything sexual, no touchy, feely...hands to yourself! (Chick flicks required!! Ugh...)
 abelian
Msg: 20
Posted: 7/28/2009 6:09:37 PM
Hang Out means intimate encounter or other relationship. Women pick hang out because it avoids the stigma and penalty that pof places on choosing the other two. Ditto for friends.
 sweetness-one
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 7/28/2009 6:14:44 PM

Ditto for friends.

Say what?!

It's all so silly. I first chose "talk/email" because I really wasn't interested in anything. After being inundated by emails from men figuring, if I wanted to "talk or email" it MUST be about sex or cyber-sex...I chose the next tamest option, which was "friends". Damned if you do, or damned if you don't, apparently.

POF restrictions can be odd though. I block "other relationship" seekers on my profile...but yet, one of my favourite muses here now, used to be seeking just that. Go figure...what's in a name, eh?
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > What do girls mean by wanting to "Hang out"?