Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Benefits of oatmeal - raw versus cooked      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Lil Brooker
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Benefits of oatmeal - raw versus cookedPage 1 of 1    
I really dislike porridge (cooked oatmeal) but am quite happy to eat it raw or in granola (with plain yogurt and fruit). Will I get the same health benefits, say from granola, as I would from the boiled version? Or must one cook it to get cholesterol lowering effects?

Besides lowering cholesterol, are there any other health benefits to eating oatmeal?
 Porckchops
Msg: 2
Benefits of oatmeal - raw versus cooked
Posted: 8/7/2009 12:17:33 AM
I hear that eating raw can help to satisfy hunger for a longer period of time and therefore can be helpful in keeping the wait down. Other than that I have no clue.
 satx78218
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2009 5:58:51 AM
whole oats and oat bran stabilize glucose. Low glucose asks to be raised, aka, hunger, craving.
 SoLongThanksForAllTheFish
Msg: 4
Posted: 8/7/2009 9:01:59 AM
Raw oatmeal?? I'm having a hard time picturing a bowl of yogurt & steel-cut oats, sounds like a good way to break teeth. Do you mean rolled/quick oats? Those aren't really raw; they've already been steamed to make them faster to cook.

However, if you're just looking for a way to like oatmeal, try switching to steel-cut oats. They have more taste than the fast stuff (and probably are even healthier but I couldn't say for sure). If the taste alone doesn't do the trick, maybe letting them soak in yogurt for twenty minutes might soften them up enough to eat raw, who knows?

There was another thread here a while back talking about ways to spice up oatmeal. One guy said "just eat it plain; you'll learn to like the taste soon." That sounded like good advice so I tried it and it's true. I never add anything to oatmeal now and love the stuff.

Each to his own, though. Personally I'm having a bowl of yogurt&granola this morning, don't feel like oatmeal today.
 Edsta
Msg: 5
Posted: 8/7/2009 9:42:04 AM
Steel cut oats probably would take longer for your body to digest and so yeah, they would keep you feeling full longer. Cooking them takes forever though, that's why I stick to rolled oats---I pour boiling water over them and leave them covered overnight, then liquify them with bananas, whey, ice, and some lime juice for my breakfast smoothie. Takes all of maybe 5 minutes to drink a quart.
 Landra2
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2009 11:27:22 AM
In the summer, I'll put a some uncooked oatmeal ( a serving) in a bowl with just enough liquid (milk or water) to cover and let it soak overnight. Add yogurt and fruit for a nice, cool breakfast.
The health benefits are the same cooked or not.
 Soap60
Msg: 7
Posted: 8/7/2009 12:50:52 PM
I agree 100% with adding them to your regular protein smoothie. It cuts down the sweetness of the shake (if you don't like some of the super-sweet protein powders out there) and it adds some bulk and thickness to an otherwise thin shake. I also use rolled oats to make my own protein bars.
 *checkmate*
Msg: 8
Posted: 8/7/2009 2:53:16 PM
I agree. You need to soak them overnight, both rolled and whole groats. Back a few years there used to be instructions on how to do this.

I always soak my oats.
 Sunskywind
Msg: 9
Posted: 8/7/2009 8:56:04 PM
What kind of cooked oatmeal are you cooking? I find the instant stuff is horrible, and the quick cook type only slightly better, but I could eat the large flake rolled oats that takes 10-15 minutes to cook every day...anyone I've made it for is surprised how good it is. Add some strawberries, raspberries, or melon chunks.
 winteragain
Msg: 10
Posted: 8/8/2009 12:06:51 AM
cooking breaks stuff down. it's not like your stomach can reach 212 degrees by itself ya no so i say yes to cookering
 *checkmate*
Msg: 11
Posted: 8/8/2009 2:07:47 AM

cooking breaks stuff down. it's not like your stomach can reach 212 degrees by itself ya no so i say yes to cookering

Maybe not. But your stomach also happens to be the best place for one of the most powerful acids commonly known as hydrochloric acic.

All heat does is increase the rate of which water penetrates the grain. You can still eat them raw as long as you sprout and / or soak the oats (dependant on the type of oat). I find that soaking them with a few spoons of active live yogurt in the mix and i have less digestion issues as a whole.
 whteshark
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 8/8/2009 1:44:36 PM
I eat oatmeal every morning. I hear it's a good source of the "good" carbs. I usually heat my oatmeal up in the microwave. I use honey and craisins and either water or skim milk, depending on whether I'm at work or not. It taste good to me.
 Lil Brooker
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 8/8/2009 1:51:09 PM

What kind of cooked oatmeal are you cooking?

The kind that takes about 10 - 15 minutes but I rarely prepare the stuff because I do not like the mushy texture and the instant stuff is really gross! About the only cooked cereal that I find half palatable is Red River cereal.

I like granola and homemade oatcakes and wonder if I will get the benefits of oatmeal from them.
 *mandrake*
Msg: 14
Posted: 8/8/2009 2:06:29 PM
Oatmeal is great in the bath water too! and this is NO fibb! Just ask your pharmacist or dermatologist!
 Tyefromnj1
Msg: 15
Posted: 8/8/2009 5:31:47 PM
http://www.innerrewards.com/topics/food-kitchen-101/articles/ir-how-to-preserve-the-nutrients-in-food-419

Looks like raw foods preserve more vitamins. Although too much raw foods requires more acid and bile to break down. I have the occasional acid reflux so its not the best for me.
 Diva026
Msg: 16
Posted: 8/8/2009 7:56:04 PM
I think the taste of raw oatmeal must be just horrid. To make oatmeal more appealing, I add yogourt (Activa), raisins, bananas, nuts, grains and/or flax. Adding healthy snack food to the oatmeal gives it that much more and makes it more enjoyable to eat.
 ZenBeth
Msg: 17
Posted: 8/8/2009 10:09:15 PM
Oatmeal is great fiber and I eat it raw in yogurt, sprinkled on fruit salads and love making oatmeal raisin cookies which are healthy. And oatmeal is a good source of vitamin E, zinc and iron. Oh and protein, which is one reason vegans and vegetarians love oatmeal.

~Beth~
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Benefits of oatmeal - raw versus cooked