Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > How's A Guy Supposed To Know If He's Good Looking?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Studioguy29
Msg: 1
How's A Guy Supposed To Know If He's Good Looking?Page 1 of 1    
So obviously, many women (as well as men) want to find someone who is attractive or "good looking." But my question is this.. since a lot of women don't seem to dish out compliments to the same degree that men due in terms of courting.. how is a man, or better yet.. an average guy, supposed to know if he could be considered attractive/good looking or not to the opposite sex? Of course, everyone has different tastes and all that. But I'm speaking in general terms. In some women's profiles they list that they're looking for a man who is "attractive/good looking/hot" so I would like to know how you ladies expect us to know if we are or not since a lot of women don't compliment guys all that much?
 AmoAngelus
Msg: 2
view profile
History
How's A Guy Supposed To Know If He's Good Looking?
Posted: 8/9/2009 11:57:55 AM
I have yet to meet a girl who wants her man to know he's the best looking thing on the planet. Swelling a mans ego like that is a sure way to get pushed out of a door. Humility is a good trait, and what a girl means by good looking...well so long as you know you're not on the low end of the scale that's good. If you rate yourself around a 5/10 or higher then you may well stand a chance of being good looking. But we're not going to inflate the ego.

Men tend to take a small comment and get really big headed about it.
Women tend to be overly harsh on themselves so a man can tell her till he's blue in the face that she's gorgeous, but she'll still go on a diet.
 ironhorse1074
Msg: 3
Posted: 8/9/2009 11:59:39 AM
I guess if they compliment you with something along the lines of "you're good looking", etc- you can assume they find you attractive... If not, well, I guess they don't...

Everyone's ideal of what is attractive/good looking is going to be completely different... Beauty in the eye of the beholder and all that....
 sh1986
Msg: 4
Posted: 8/9/2009 12:06:42 PM
While talking you'll notice her check you out. She'll look in your eyes and watch your mouth. She'll get red... but these are signs of deep attraction. When you first meet she might just pretend she doesn't notice you, but you'll catch her glance when you look away and stuff like that. Girls don't like giving us ego trips and want us to chase them, once you give them a little attention at the start feel free to let them chase you... but their way of dishing out compliments is subtle. Just be yourself and remember that online, it's a whole new ball game, one I wouldn't give you advice on because I don't know shit... but you're not bad looking, keep in there and don't give a **** and you'll do grand.
Cheers.
s.H.
 moonbeamlover
Msg: 5
Posted: 8/9/2009 12:09:29 PM
I guess it could be known if there is a lot of flirting, smiling, and with some small physical contacts...

(though flirting is something that is also subjective; sometimes what is taken for flirting is just having a plain old conversation and listening to what they have to say with interest in a person without there being interest in them as a man per se).

I think sometimes what attracts me the most isn't someone who's attractive so much as someone who's comfortable with who they are without worrying about it.

Holding their head up high (but not arrogantly), being about the woman, not about how the woman sees them, that to me counts way more than how features are put together in a face and how tall someone is...

I know it sounds simplistic, but I'd stress a guy needs to not worry about whether he's good looking; he will be to many and he won't to some. And that's ok... he will knock someone's socks off :)
 Studioguy29
Msg: 6
Posted: 8/9/2009 12:12:02 PM
I have yet to meet a girl who wants her man to know he's the best looking thing on the planet. Swelling a mans ego like that is a sure way to get pushed out of a door.

Ok. So traditionally speaking.. a man is supposed to butter up the woman and make her feel like "the best thing on the planet?" But yet, it's not cool for a woman to make her guy feel good or special in return???
 AmoAngelus
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2009 12:20:22 PM
Please read my entire post. A womans ego works differently to a mans, you can tell her till you're blue in the face that she's attractive and she'll still go on a diet. You tell a man he's good looking and he thinks he's gods gift. The idea is to keep someone feeling good about themselves without making them feel like theyre worth more than you are.
 Worbug
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2009 12:21:41 PM
I have read this before:

They say one in three people are ugy. So look to your left and look to your right, if they are good looking, Guess What .

candid_1
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2009 12:21:43 PM
Well, for starters - don't ask your mother or sisters. Good looking, like "average" is too subjective. Everyone has a different level of what they deem attractive. Hot is GQ level. Attractive is no bag required. If women run screaming when you ask them out, well... see bag, double bag if in doubt.

One thing I will say is that a nice smile makes everyone more attractive. It's often the most memorable thing. And contrary to what some posters have said, the more attractive a guy is the better my poker face.

If a woman is "with" you, they find you attractive... 'nuff said.
 0wiseone
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2009 12:22:42 PM
I would like to encourage you to keep several things in mind when meeting women and dating. First, a guy who needs compliments tends to have low self esteem. This is a turn off for many women. Secondly, many women are not as physical as men. Men tend to look at physical attributes to determine if a woman is attractive enough to pursue. Women will too, but on a much smaller scale. They will find men with a sense of humor, drama free, and chivalrous much more attractive than the buff body, or the classic good looks. A lot of guys with classic good looks tend to have the ego to go with their good looks and are known for using or taking advantage of women because they have their pick of so many. A good woman will not want to get caught up in that brat pack. So, if you can be nice, charming, and well spoken, you will find you are automatically attractive. You will have fun and be successful in the majority of your dating experiences. Good luck to you...
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2009 12:33:26 PM
Looks are subjective. What one woman thinks is hot another woman won't notice or will think is totally unattractive. Men are no different. Some think I should walk a runway, others think I can't hook a dog with a porkchop tied to me. A lot in the middle wouldn't see me in a crowd. *shrug*

Therefore there is no universal "good looking" even for celebritites. Who I'd go for some of my friends wouldn't look twice at.

Find a girl you find attractive. If she responds positively to you, you're good looking to her. She may even tell you.

Ok. So traditionally speaking.. a man is supposed to butter up the woman and make her feel like "the best thing on the planet?" But yet, it's not cool for a woman to make her guy feel good or special in return???

Who says a man is supposed to butter a woman up? Gross. Some of us don't agree with that. If it's not genuine, or it's over the top, spare us.
 afashionlady
Msg: 12
Posted: 8/9/2009 12:34:44 PM
I guess if one of those women messages you she'll think you fall into that category........?

(AFL wonders sometimes...she does)
 Libertine154
Msg: 13
Posted: 8/9/2009 12:35:07 PM
OP- I may be more the exception than the rule, but I am more than willing to compliment a guy on his appearance. I think that if when you first meet someone it will be fairly obvious what she thinks about your looks. I can easily tell at a first meeting if someone thinks I'm attractive or not. And, either way, it's just one person's opinion. :)
 jaqi
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2009 12:37:17 PM
What one woman thinks of as attractive and good looking another may not... there are no hard and fast rules as to what is good looking... unless it is George Clooney or Brad Pitt..... Bryan Adams mmmmm mmmmm x
 davdo
Msg: 15
Posted: 8/9/2009 12:38:29 PM

Secondly, many women are not as physical as men. Men tend to look at physical attributes to determine if a woman is attractive enough to pursue. Women will too, but on a much smaller scale.

I disagree when it comes to online dating. Women like men only have one sense working. Some have even admitted as much on the forums. If the picture isn't attractive they pretty much will not respond. And today's woman has earned the right to be just as superficial as men and are.

Just go on the assumption that if you get no reply they weren't attracted enough to you to overcome a bad/lame email, or poorly written profile. Or if there is no reply they weren't attracted enough despite a great email and excellent profile that would meet all their requirements except looks.
 Studioguy29
Msg: 16
Posted: 8/9/2009 12:43:33 PM
Please read my entire post. A womans ego works differently to a mans, you can tell her till you're blue in the face that she's attractive and she'll still go on a diet. You tell a man he's good looking and he thinks he's gods gift. The idea is to keep someone feeling good about themselves without making them feel like theyre worth more than you are.

First of all, you're generalizing. Not all men and women act and respond completely alike

Second, I can tell you've never actually been in "real love." Because real love only comes when you care about something or someone more than you care about yourself. It's like a parent who loves their kid or someone who is deeply religious and puts God first in their life (even though that's slightly different). The trouble is, most people are afraid to care that much about something/someone because they're scared to death of being disappointed or hurt. And yeah, you sound like one of those people.

Third, I have had compliments from women before. Usually it's my eyes that they like. But never once did that convince me to start flashing my eyes or winking excessively at women. So despite your belief, one compliment from one woman isn't going to send my ego into the stratosphere. And I'm willing to bet that a large majority of guys are the same.
 AmoAngelus
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2009 12:50:26 PM
Of course I am, which is why I said GENERALLY SPEAKING. Forget being good looking, try listening to someone, that's actually more important.

Of course I've been in love before you moron. But that came AFTER dating, and they didn't need to be told they were physically attractive because they knew they were the best thing in my life as they were.

I think you're an ***hole.
 absofreakinlutely
Msg: 18
Posted: 8/9/2009 12:52:22 PM
^^^^Do I need to separate you two?

OP - if a woman has slept with you without the need to be heavily medicated, stoned or drunk, you can consider yourself good looking.
 Studioguy29
Msg: 19
Posted: 8/9/2009 1:00:35 PM

I think you're an ***hole.

Wow, thanks for the compliment! I'll be sure to take that one to the bank

maycalla
Msg: 20
Posted: 8/9/2009 3:27:01 PM
well calm down kids, don't be hating :)

i'm relating to someone who mentions that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. i think different people find different physical looks as attractive. the answer can be both simple and complex depending on which picture we're looking at. to me fom the main picture you have i think you're on the attractive side of the spectrum, in general though thru online dating i would respond only to men who is about 5' 8" or taller in height (to about 5' 11", i am 5' 3"). but from my experience love is also blind, i've had an adorable, very smart, capable boyfriend who was less than 5' 8". i didn't meet him online, but at school, you know in person, 3 dimensional. when i first saw him i just saw the man and i didn't have any perception of height of him at all. i think that's one of the disadvantages of online dating, you can't feel the energy from the person as you would in real life, i think to feel this energy or vibe is arguably more important than anything else, in my book.

it's also going to take time to know if you're good looking, thru the in person reaction that you will get from women around you that you'll meet thru out your life. that's going to take time. in meantime it's probably best to not depend only on online to find someone special. website dating is only an option, not the only ...
 undesiredheart
Msg: 21
Posted: 8/9/2009 3:37:28 PM
How about instead of considering such "important" questions you drop the shallow focus on looks and instead ignore the girls that put stuff like that in there profiles (its the only way they will learn how shallow and pointless there existance is) and go for the girls that have a decent personality.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > How's A Guy Supposed To Know If He's Good Looking?